WORRIED !!!

This topic contains 9 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Buttonboots 9 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

• Hi all.
    I’m starting a diet as of 1st Feb as i need to plan my meals (a bit) and also get supplies.
    I’m going to be doing the 5:2 diet as well as cutting down and eating sensibly.

My problem is that i have been on diets before and struggled, A LOT !!!
    I’m 42, i’m now a grandad to the most gorgeous grand daughter but i’m also 23 and a half stones in weight but i am 6ft 2ins so dont look massive (if u know what i mean) but do look fat.

I was told 6 years ago by a person at work who was a bit of a fitness freek that i wouldnt live more than 15 years.Then last year i did a death clock thing on facebook (i know facebook) but it said in 10 years time i would die. Now with the arrival of my grand daughter i feel i NEED to do something.

The problem is i am a big eater and will find this 5:2 diet VERY HARD. I have a friend who has been doing it for 2 years roughly so he’ll be able to help. I have a picture on my phone of my grand daughter to remind me WHY i’m doing this but my problem is i’m already thinking that i cant do this 🙁

PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME !!!

Many thanks

If thinking about it knocks your confidence, then try not to think about – just do it. You will find that its really not as hard as you imagine. If you struggle, then keep yourself busy on the days that you fast, it will help to make them go by faster. Making any change is scary – but you’ll be fine! Just keep thinking about your reasons for wanting to make this change – that should help see you through… 🙂

Hi pobster. You’ll be fine, it’s just fear of the unknown. You can have 600 cals on fast days which in reality is quite a bit depending on your choices. Veg, soups, stir fry’s, so much to choose from. Look on the web for recipes relating to cals…300cals etc. depending on when you wish to eat. Lunch then dinner or all 600 cals at dinner which a lot of people prefer. Just drink tea/coffee or water, flavoured teas, iced teas etc. they WILL hold you over surprisingly enough. Then 600 cals for dinner is protein, chicken, fish etc and heaps of veg or salad. Again look on the web, check out the pictures and see how much you will be eating. By the way, your appetite will shrink as you go on, you will not need as much to be satisfied…Good luck, check out the other threads from page 1 in the threads to see how others have managed, all the best..CG

Hello
    I feel for you and understand that you are worried about your health. I too am worried about mine and I have to do something about it now….we welcomed two new grandchildren into our family last year and I want to be here for them.
    You’re not alone – we are all on this journey together…we can do it. Keep in touch.

The first few fasts will be the toughest & it sounds like you have plenty of motivation to keep you going (please don’t weigh yourself every single day like some people do – that’s the quickest way to knock your confidence).

Once those first few fastdays are under your belt you’ll WANT to continue. You’ll LOOK FORWARD to fastdays, just you wait and see.

Just remember each fastday is ‘just one day’. You can resist ANY temptation for 1 day. You can have whatever it is that’s ‘calling your name’ tomorrow if you still want it. Chances are by tomorrow you wont care anymore.

Thank you all for your lovely comments.
    Really appreciate them 🙂

Hi pobster and welcome:

I think that at the start a person should just concentrate on doing two proper diet days each week – 600 cal. or less. Once you have done 16 or so consecutive successful diet days (that will take about 2 months), you can start to worry about what or how much to eat on your non diet days.

Here are some thoughts that might help: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/the-basics-for-newbies-your-questions-answered/

Good Luck!

Hi pobster!

You CAN do this!

I love my food…if there was an Olympic Gold Medal for ‘stuffing your face’ then I would be the pride of my country!

I also have a lot going against me diet wise…I am fairly short…I am female…I am non-active as I am disabled

And, I have a LOT to lose! I am not exactly sure how heavy I was at first (Suffice to say I was too heavy for ‘normal’ scales!!!)…I tried all sorts of diets – and gave them up when they didn’t work!

I got down (somehow) to around 18 1/2 stone and then plateaued for ages (no helped by spending time on hospital)…and when I decided to start again with weight loss I went back to 5:2 which I had dabbled with before…and I haven’t looked back! (I have a thread here telling my story….currently just over the 16 stone mark…I WILL be 15 stone something soon!)

You can actually eat rather well on 500/600 a day. I just love a nice curry! (I have a chicken thigh – no skin…a little low-fat curry sauce and some cauliflower ‘rice’ and some greens – spinach works well with curry). …For maximum fill-me-up-and-leave-me -satisfied value for my fast-day calories I find it easier to go low carbohydrate and higher protein with plenty of veg.

You will soon learn what ‘works’ for you! And on those fast days when things feel rough, then remember it is only for one day! Whatever you crave is only one day away!

Your granddaughter is a very lucky young girl. She is going to have a granddad who is around for ages and who will be a fantastic rile-model for her health wise!

Best of luck!

Thank you buttonboots for the lovely comments. They really helped 🙂
    The last paragraph made me fill up. Ever since my grand daughter came into our lives, i get emotional but in a good way.
    You say your short and disabled. May i ask how short? if i’m being personal or too nosey just tell me ok.
    Well i hope it goes well for you and chat again soon ok. Take care 🙂

Pobster,

I am ‘fairly’ short..I am about 5 foot 3..maybe.5 foot 4….I look a little shorter because I need a walker which means I stoop very slightly as I bend over the handles! (The height of the walker is fine, but my balance – or lack thereof means a slight bend/stoop feels ‘safer’)

I also look shorter when next to my siblings..the shortest of my brothers is 6 foot 1 1/2……and my sisters manage a good 5 foot 6….I am the smallest of a tall family!

Hugs to you and your granddaughter! Hope the 5:2 is going well!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply.