Why did you put weight on to start with….why will you keep it off?

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
Why did you put weight on to start with….why will you keep it off?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Buttonboots 8 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

• I am six month into 5:2 and I am now at normal BMI. I have done 5:2 for two reasons…one was for the health benefits overall and the other to lose some weight.

Well, nothing….and I mean nothing….tastes as good as slim. I look better, I feel better, I have more energy (physical and sexual). My husband is a happy man.

Which makes me wonder why I ever put the weight on to start with!! Why did I let it happen? I wonder whether I got so caught up with making a career, raising my kids, paying off a home, being superwoman that the only thing I had left was eating.

The answer is complex because I can’t quite put my finger on why. All I know is I won’t go there again. However, in conjunction with losing weight…I also am in a good place. My kids are grown and doing well, I have no debt, I am very happily married to a man who loves me regardless of my looks. I have a great career and can afford to indulge our love of travel. So, maybe I am now slim and happy to stay slim because I am…well…just plain happy.

So, do you know why you put weight on? Why will you keep the weight off?

Good question, like you say it is complex. Everyone is likely different, although I suspect there will be similar themes. It rarely happens overnight, most often over quite a long time.

Personally, I have put on weight because of several reasons:

1. It has been a comfort when I am stressed
    2. I always backed myself to lose the weight…tomorrow
    3. I really, really enjoy eating nice food!

Why will it be different this time? I have structure, I have set out exactly why I want/need to lose weight (see earlier thread – important to start with the end in mind) and quite frankly the price is too high if i don’t.

I had blood tests not long ago and they came back OK, no sign of diabetes/similar – felt like I’d dodged a bullet and was the shot in the arm I needed to keep it so.

When I was very young I was quite a slender little thing….not scrawny by any means, but not pudgy either…Healthy home cooked meals, a certain amount of outdoor play , long walks in the country (admittedly somewhat enforced….I wasn’t that fond of pointless rambling!), and sweet treats/crisps limited to Saturdays when we got our pocket money – which I preferred to spend on comics – all meant I had a good start weight-wise.

Why did I put weight on?

1. When I was 14 I was put on medication. One of the side effects was weight gain….and so the process began!
    2. I was already excused sports/games at school on medical grounds.(From the age of about 11). No exercise meant I wasn’t burning off calories as efficiently as I should have done.
    3. No friends, family struggles, health issues (which wouldn’t be fully diagnosed for another 30 years!), moving house- and school – every year or so (Forces brat), all lead down the ‘comfort’ eating route.
    4. I am a total foodie! I love food!

I did try and lose weight in the past. I tried all sorts. I had one minor success, at a club, I lost weight …and then put it all back on in a few months, plus a little extra for good measure! After that, nothing helped. My weight just piled on. I DID try various methods but with no success….just the opposite, my weight soared.

So why is 5:2 different? Why am I losing weight now, and why do I believe it will stay off? (I am nowhere near the maintaining my weight phase…another few stone to lose yet…quite a few…but I have lost a huge amount so far!)

1. This actually WORKS! Nothing succeeds like success! Every small weight loss spurs me on and encourages me. I cannot exercise and am still on meds (and will be for life) but I am STILL losing weight, albeit slowly.
    2. This plan actually lets me stay a foodie! I still get to enjoy my food. I don’t feel deprived.
    3. I can wear clothes I had stopped dreaming I ever would. I am wearing jeans! I used to wear baggy ‘sacks’ with a list of xs as their size….now I am wearing clothes with (admittedly high!) numbers as sizes…I never want to go back!
    4. This is going to succeed because it is never going to end! When I reach a weight with which I am comfortable (I haven’t settled on a final figure yet…too far away!) I will still be on the plan, but will switch to 6:1 ….and whenever the scales start to nudge upwards I will 5:2 again until they go back down….it is a lifetime plan not a short-term fix!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply.