Why aren't more people doing this? And why so skeptical?

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
Why aren't more people doing this? And why so skeptical?

This topic contains 9 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Lolly_ 7 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

• This is my first time posting on this forum, I’ve read a lot of posts but have never let my voice be heard. I have had amazing success doing this, I started in mid-May and have lost 33 pounds. Not only that, but I’ve changed my eating habits completely, I no longer crave processed foods or sugar, I love my body and feel amazing. I’ve taken the next step and started juicing vegetables every morning and have watched every health documentary out there! My husband and mom are complete converts to this as well. Anyway, I try not to mention this to people because everyone immediately assumes that not eating is ‘unhealthy’. I try to tell them the research behind it, but it just gets tiring! Has anyone else had this experience? When you just feel like not sharing it with anyone? It’s almost like a little secret that we all share… 😀

Youre trying to overcome nearly 50 years of mistruths with regards to nutrition and diet. That’s going to take a long time to overcome. Even the vast majority of the health industry does not understand fasting and the advice is poor. Most medical doctors receive very little dietary training during their degrees. I tried to convince some friends to try it. They thought I was crazy but reluctantly decided to give it a try. OMG was their reaction. Why isn’t everyone doing this. They tell their friends now and are met with the same thing. You guys are crazy, its not healthy etc etc.

Thanks for the response! I’m glad that your friends eventually tried it at least! My mom finds that calling them ‘low calorie’ days seems to not freak people out as much. Anyway, I try not to preach about it too much to people but it’s hard when you find success and passion in it 🙂

I started this about 18 months ago. Went from 92kg to 71kg (202 to 156 lbs). My wife has struggled with weight most of her married life. Has done diet after diet. She has seen my progress. Do you think I can convince her to do it? So yes I fully understand why people are so sceptical about it. Mores the pity for them.

[post removed]

I8anders, if you think explaining fasting is hard enough — try adding in low carb/high fat to the conversation! Classic newbie error of best intentions. Despite looking and feeling better than I have in decades with a weigh loss so far of somewhere between 3 and 4 stone — not to mention no longer being type 2 diabetic — people just can’t seem get beyond the bad advice we’ve been saddled with for so long. The arguments can be tedious.

Now, when people ask what I’ve been doing, I say “low carb”. Most will sheer off at that point! I can’t blame them — I’d have done the same myself even a year ago. But people who are ready to hear more stick around and I’m only too happy to share. My little corner of the world is a brighter place for the company of those few who have joined me on the journey but I’ve stopped trying to convince the world at large.

The best ‘advice’ you can give anyone, I believe, is to do 5:2, keep doing it, then stay on maintenance. The evidence speaks for itself and people will start asking you what you are doing. When they do I usually say “Intermittant Fasting”. The intermittant bit usually stops them in their tracks enough to ask further. Then I say 2days a week I eat under 500cals and the other 5days a week I eat a normal amount. Then I usually change the subject. If they want to know more they’ll ask.

Recently I was asked how I was losing size by a friend who is an African refugee, who is finding weight gain is affecting her health. We had a short conversation about the differences, where not enough food affects health and in the west too much food affects health. I said That on Mondays and Thursdays I didn’t eat in the day and ate only a small dinner at night, with no mention of calories. Also that I ate natural foods, had stopped eating factory made food, bread, biscuits pasta, rice etc, foods with sugar. Last week I saw my friend again and she has lost some weight, and very happy with how she’s going. I found it a little confronting to talk about ‘fasting’ to someone who’d spent 20yrs in a refugee camp, but she knew exactly what I meant about the western pattern of overeating.

Cheers,
    Merry

what a great thread for a new 5,2-er to read

thank you to all who wrote x

I agree …. lots of sense in this thread. I am new and can’t wait for people to start asking me “what are you doing – you look great!”

When I first began 5:2 I was very apprehensive about what discouraging things people might say. Now, knowing that I’m the only one sitting there likely to be wearing trousers capable of falling off, I can afford to smile.

Merryme is right: success is its own best advertisement.

Just give 5:2 a fair chance, Pamela, and you’ll be smiling, too!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply.