who won? Low-Carbohydrate, Mediterranean, or Low-Fat Diet

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
who won? Low-Carbohydrate, Mediterranean, or Low-Fat Diet

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  wiltldnrUSA 10 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

• of course fasting is involved
    this lifestyle will never go away

Low-Fat Diet

The low-fat, restricted-calorie diet was based on American Heart Association20 guidelines. We aimed at an energy intake of

1500 kcal per day for women and

1800 kcal per day for men,

with 30% of calories from fat, 10% of calories from saturated fat, and an intake of 300 mg of cholesterol per day. The participants were counseled to consume low-fat grains, vegetables, fruits, and legumes and to limit their consumption of additional fats, sweets, and high-fat snacks.

Mediterranean Diet

The moderate-fat, restricted-calorie, Mediterranean diet was rich in vegetables and low in red meat, with poultry and fish replacing beef and lamb. We restricted energy intake to

1500 kcal per day for women

1800 kcal per day for men,

with a goal of no more than 35% of calories from fat; the main sources of added fat were 30 to 45 g of olive oil and a handful of nuts (five to seven nuts, <20 g) per day. The diet is based on the recommendations of Willett and Skerrett.21

Low-Carbohydrate Diet

The low-carbohydrate, non–restricted-calorie diet

aimed to provide 20 g of carbohydrates per day for the 2-month induction phase

with a gradual increase to a maximum of 120 g per day to maintain the weight loss. The intakes of total calories, protein, and fat were not limited. However, the participants were counseled to choose vegetarian sources of fat and protein and to avoid trans fat. The diet was based on the Atkins diet

supplemental pdf w/ menus used in each diet

http://www.nejm.org/doi/suppl/10.1056/NEJMoa0708681/suppl_file/nejm_shai_229sa1.pdf

Weight Loss with a Low-Carbohydrate, Mediterranean, or Low-Fat Diet

winner?

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa0708681#t=article

Four-Year Follow-up winner?

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa0708681#t=article

Hey,

what I like about this study is the comment that personal preferences come into the picture. One can conclude that one method is “better” if you can lose 5.5kg of weight and with the other one “only” 4.6 kg – but what good is that 0.9kg extra loss if you do not enjoy doing it?

Sometimes you hear frustrated people saying that they do not know “in or out” any longer as what was “healthy yesterday is dangerous today”. That may be true but these results are often taken out of their context and only applicable in certain extreme cases. I think it is more interesting to see how many different possibilities we have today to approach any health problem we may have. Instead of saying that they contradict each other, I personally think that they point to the various ways that people function physiologically. We are very different, so it is great that there are so many different ways to approach our health issues today. If IF does not work for you, you may be better off with LCHF… for instance. I do get very annoyed when you read things like “this or that diet is better and more effective”. Sure, this may be based on large studies but what is the perfect guarantee that it will work for me?

I think we would be in real trouble only if people cannot agree on what we are actually striving for – if new science came out saying that “LDL is good for you” and “high glucose level is excellent” (while I do not think that that will happen – but I hope you see my point!!). As long as the benchmarking for health parameters is the same, it is just a question for me as an individual to decide how to get there based on my preferences and physiology!

An interesting short interview with MM:

http://www.svt.se/nyheter/vetenskap/5-2-dietens-mosley-gor-film-om-mental-halsa

Tobias Karlsson

“That may be true but these results are often taken out of their context and only applicable in certain extreme cases”

“but what is the perfect guarantee that it will work for me?”

“but what good is that 0.9kg extra loss if you do not enjoy doing it?”

this so true we r different &
    enjoyment is crucial 2 our well being

statistics & gobbledygook

we know

being a type2diab

based on all kinds of research (even though my dr is not liking it this fast whatever
    does not matter from the research i give him oh well like i said there r some that r like a whitecoat mafia)

my conclusion is a 5:2 w/ a locarbcyclingmeditfast or pure locarbfast depends

what is ur fasday lifestyle?

the link u gave

“An interesting short interview with MM:”

is an AMAZING interview worth pasting again & again

can’t wait 4 more of ur precious findings

this should b in a title of topic

INTERVIEW W/ DR MOSLEY THE FUTURE OF FASTDIET

http://www.svt.se/nyheter/vetenskap/5-2-dietens-mosley-gor-film-om-mental-halsa

do topic it pleeease

not necessarily my title 🙂

but there’s another poster that had the same questions

so will paste it him

things get very lost in this forum

thanks allot

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply.