Where are the encouraging posts?

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
Where are the encouraging posts?

This topic contains 7 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  D52 9 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• Maybe I’m just looking in the wrong place, but so many of the posts that I’ve read here under the “weight loss” category are so discouraging! People not losing weight, people GAINING weight, people initially losing and then quickly plateauing. Has anyone had consistent, week-after-week success with this 5:2 thing? I’m not expecting miracles, but if I could lose just one measly pound per week (and do it week after week), that’d be awesome! Just to fill you in, I’m 7 fasts into this, lost almost 4 lbs. the first week, only 1/2 lb. the next, and will weigh in the third time tomorrow morning. So, is anyone experiencing good things here? Knowing so might just help me through this current fast, during which I’m seriously contemplating munching on the scented candle I’m burning on my kitchen table…

Hi Jenny,

I’m a healthy 45 year old. I lost 20 lbs in 16 weeks (to goal weight), then a further 8ish pounds in the next couple of months. It was easy for me. Since mid June I’ve been easily maintaining my new weight (59-60kg).

Don’t eat the candle!

Hi Jenny:

I’m sorry, but you are looking for nirvana. Weight loss is almost never consistent. Your weight can vary two pounds or more per day, and it depends on when you weigh what you weigh. When you are losing a pound a week or less and can vary two pounds per day or more, it is easy to gain at a weekly weigh in. You have to take a longer term perspective.

The average weight loss for a woman on 5:2 is a little less than a pound a week. You lost 4.5 pounds in two, some of that most likely water weight. After losing 4 pounds in one week, you can expect to lose at a slower rate for the next two or three weeks.

If you read #s 1 and 2 of this post, you will have an idea of what I am saying: http://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/the-basics-for-newbies-your-questions-answered/. The TDEE post (#4) will also help you understand how much weight you might reasonably expect to lose on 5:2 over time.

All of the comments you mentioned are common and nothing to worry about. If the comments are negative or questioning, they are made by people that do not understand or appreciate how weight loss occurs, not only on 5:2, but on all other diets, also. Please take other than a short term perspective. 5:2 works for those that stick with it.

Good Luck!

I think people are more likely to post when they’re having a hard time, so that’s why you see so many “why aren’t I losing” type posts.

I’ve been doing 5:2 for a little over 8 months now and have lost 50 lbs. I’m 46, healthy, and have done this without adding any exercise. (I should exercise, mind you, it would be good for me, but even without it, 5:2 has worked like a charm). There are definitely some weeks I lose more than others, and some weeks I plateau, but the overall trend is great. So hang in there, and don’t eat the candle, lol.

Thank you! All of that helps. : )

As per the other posters, individuals vary in their rate of weight change. I started fasting in 2011 and have been in maintenance for some time (I was originally ADF then switched to 4:3 because it suited my social and sports commitments better). Along the way, I shed 60lbs, very slowly and with lengthy plateaus, followed by 5-10 days in which I’d show a scale drop every day, and then another plateau. Nonetheless, it still worked.

@just want to say that it worked for me, too. I have reached goal weight and maintaining. A lot of us just need to find out what works for us and what we can do long term not just until we lost the weight. Well done – what a great start for you. Good luck.

kilda says:

“I think people are more likely to post when they’re having a hard time, so that’s why you see so many “why aren’t I losing” type posts.”

That’s a great observation.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply.