Where are my Ketones???

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
Where are my Ketones???

This topic contains 44 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  Bronx 8 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 45 posts - 1 through 45 (of 45 total)

• No its not a cracker joke.. I am in week there and finding the whole thing pretty good, Personaly i am finding it easiest to only eat once a day. Out of interest i bought some Ketone testing strips.
    I ate a meal at about 5pm on Monday- Chicke Keiv, peas and hime made chips (don’t judge me on that!) the next thing to pass my lips apart from black coffee was a small fish curry on Tuesday evening at about 6:30pm.
    so 21 hours with no food.

Whenever i needed a wee i used the Ketone strips (i have also used them on two of my previous fast days) and on all occasions they hardly change colour at all.. only just registering trace levels.

So where the dickens are my Ketones?

I have lost about 3 KG and about an inch from my waist… but ??Any ideas?

Hi Muddy and welcome:

You have discovered the ‘dirty little secret’ of ‘fasting’. To get into the ‘fat burning’ state takes time. There is no specific number of hours to do it. It depends on the person, their size, what they have recently eaten and many other things. On average, it takes about two to three days of little or no (non carb) calories to get into ketosis.

That is why 16:8 or whatever means little from a ketosis standpoint. And current research indicates that ketosis is the important reason that ‘fasting’ has ‘other health benefits’.

That does not mean you can’t lose weight if you don’t get into ketosis – you can.

So don’t think 5:2 does not work because you can’t get into ketosis. It does.

Good Luck!

I have been doing this since new year and am doing 2 days Monday and Thursday,last meal 8pm then just sugarless tea until 6pm next day when I have a low cal cheese,water biscuits and cherry tomato “snack”after a 40 minute walk home at 8pm I will then have a “Nutriblast”then as I am not a breakfast eater go til early afternoon next day.(i work in a small care home and my hours are 1til 7)weight loss is minimal(I am 5ft6″and currently weigh 9st 12lbs)..the main reason for this post is confusion about how long it takes for the”health benifits to be activated,I have read several times that this starts to occur after 12,hours fasting but reading your post Sim completely blows that out of the water,so am I wasting my time? (I am a 62 year old female)

Hi Gail and welcome:

The question is ‘why are you doing 5:2?’. In my opinion, it is the best weight loss diet ever stumbled upon.

All research shows that calorie restriction is the most important thing. The original program that started 5:2 illustrated that concept. If you use fasting to restrict calories, current research shows that you need to water fast for about four days or more to get the benefits – the original program segment with Dr. Longo illustrated the most current research when Dr. M did a four day fast and got good results. The problem is that to get those results you need to do four day fasts every month or two. One time won’t do it.

Dr. M’s one person five week ‘trial’ showed what it showed but does not qualify as a ‘clinical trial’ with control groups and long term results. Every human is a walking chemical factory, and results for one person do not necessarily correspond to results for every other human.

So my answer is that if you think 5:2 will cause you to live longer, there is no scientific evidence that is the case. But there is no evidence it will hurt you, either. And it will lead to weight loss, with all of the things that come with that – lower blood pressure, lower triglycerides and often lower cholesterol. Which may lead to a longer life.

Nothing is simple!

Good Luck!

Thanks Sim,I am mainly doing this for the health benifits and I could do with losing a few pounds but have to be careful at my age because if I lose too much off my face I will end up looking “gaunt”!!..,,,as I find it quite easy to go from 8/9pm to following day at 3 pm with only water and sugarless very weak tea,(18 hour fast) could l do this every day,would it be beneficial to health/weight loss?…..I walk a lot and usually do at least 9000 steps each day,I also go on my vibration plate and cross trainer for about 20 minutes 3 times a week…Have to say I am gutted to read how long it takes for health benefits to kick in especially as I have read posts where people HAVE seen health benefits in a much shorter time frame than you say Sim,it’s all getting very confusing for me….. :(.

Hi GailB, nothing happens in the blink of an eye. Weight loss and health benefits eventually will kick in. I suggest you keep a food diary for a month. A small notebook will do and keep it with you at all times even at work. Be honest and record everything that passes your lips, where you are, what you were doing etc. You may be surprised because as Simeocluv has said elsewhere, less calories in results in weight loss.
    Good luck.

Hi Gail:

Guess I don’t know what ‘health benefits’ you have read others are experiencing in short periods of time, other than those associated with weight loss. To determine if 5:2 will reduce the incidence of cancer or heart disease will take decades, not months, to validate. There is evidence it will help diabetes patients, but you have not indicated that is an issue with you.

As I mentioned, you have to decide why you are interested in intermittent fasting. It won’t hurt you, but it takes self control and a certain amount of dietary self restraint. Only you can determine if it is worth it for you.

Good Luck!

Thanks both….. Will do 18 hours a day,maybe have Sunday off and see how it goes……

The thing about Ketones is the EXCESS shows up in your urine. If you are not giving your body food for fuel it is likely using the ketones you are producing. Thus no excess showing up on your ketostix. At least that’s what was explained to me over a long period of low-carbing.

Ummmmm…….so is that GOOD then Smith…….

Making a vague point also to stay hydrated.
    Though being fully hydrated won’t help burn or release fat. Being fully hydrated keeps from becoming dehydrated. When we’re dehydrated our metabolism can slow as much as 17% as body starts to conserve it’s resources. So as smith2015 points too. if dehydrated the body may be using or conserving them.

on a personal note I’m sold on the intermittent fasting.
    after i adopted the 5:2 for 6 weeks I went on to 4:3 .
    though there’s not as much proof that i personally am reaping the benfits. I can say it much better than the diet I used to consume. I have two 27 hour fasts a week now and one 600 calorie semi fast day.

thing is now that i have gotten used to it in 22 months .i feel as if im ready to have the 4 day water fast about every 3 months. So ill be talking to my dr about it.

Gail, yes, a good thing, nothing for you to worry about

Thank you both…..

Thanks all for your Posts and Gail for asking most of my questions for me.
    I guess I am also more than a tad confused/dejected by this thread.
    Whilst short term I am doing this diet for weight loss the main selling point was the health benefits, sold at some length on the telly and in the book.
    Whilst I take the point of n=1 it was sold as a well known fact that 12 hours would produced ketones and without this no health benefits.

The above would suggest that this is purely a weight control diet.
    I am interested in Smiths2015 post, so you have a source for this statment?
    I work in the pharma industry so have a good understanding of both metabolism and clinical trials and indeed Pharma marketing.

Thanks all !

Panic over, user error!
    Strs needs a 40second soak not a midstream sample 🙂

Hi Muddyone:

I’m glad you remain open minded. Research into fasting is just starting and may reveal some very interesting, beneficial results. Use 5:2 now for weight loss. But 5:2 can be used to gain a foothold into the fasting world. Samm has said his 22 months of IF may lead him into other types of fasting that might be very beneficial to him. Not a bad idea.

I posted a link to a well written article on fasting published a couple of years ago on this thread – the last post for now – well worth a read: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/the-basics-for-newbies-your-questions-answered/

Good Luck!

I am still “tweaking” my “plan”at the moment I am doing 19:5 four days a week (the days I work a 6 hour shift at a small but busy care home,no time to think about food!!).. I guess this is a very individual way of eating as has been said before and what works well for one will not necessarily work for others.I lost a pound this week which I am quite happy with.Another concern of mine is that whatever plan of fasting we choose,surely in time the body will get used to it and therefore benefits will in time become negligible,is it a good idea to mix days up a bit?after all I’m sure Stone Age man did not have a regimented eating plan….am enjoying the wealth of opinions and advice on this thread…. 🙂

Gail, I had the same thought. I’ve read a good bit about what they call the “Thrifty Gene,” which means you and your ancestors are VERY GOOD about adapting to whatever food is around and available. I would think, like you, that after a time your body will adapt even to fasting and reach a point of stasis, where something would have to get changed to make any further difference.

Have done 19:5 and am finding it quite easy as I don’t really get hungry in the day was going to do it 4days a week but think I can do it every day but will mix the 5 hour eating window up a bit…..

Hey just seen this post! I am new to the 5:2 diet and in on my second week! So far so good!
    Just thought id mention the ketones thing.
    Tbh having ketones in your urine isnt a good thing! Ketons occur in your urine due to the body using other sources of fuel for energy! E.g protein or fats. Although it seems like ouu yes using fats for energy is good, however it is not! The body can go into a form of shock and over only long periods of fasting would you tend to find ketones in urine! Too much ketones can lead to ketoacidosis which is a form of Coma!
    I would highly reccomend you not trying to et ketones in your urine! (Sorry im a nurse and feel its my place to advise! Hope u understand hah! 🙂
    Best of luck with the weight loss! 🙂

Hi Vickie:

Sorry, you are wrong. The body is designed to run on ketones if it does not have blood sugar, and there is even a ketogenic diet that has been successfully used for over a century for controlling epileptic seizures. There is absolutely no harm to the body from ketones generated from burning its own fat, or from eating a high fat diet. It appears the brain may function even better on ketones than it does on glucose!

You might watch this for some basic information, although it covers much more than ketones: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFD2q5iqevY

Good Luck!

I have some Ketostix winging their way to me as I type. I ordered them out of curiosity to see if I was approaching anything near ketosis on my alternate fast days, which can be anything from 36 to 48 hours. I’d be surprised if they indicate ketosis but it’ll be an interesting little experiment.

Hello Muddyone, It takes about 3 and a half days practically without carbohydrates for the ketones to show up in the testing strips.

Hello simcoeluv,
    I have been wondering just how much weight have you lost, and over how long?

Hi Vero:

Before I answer, I have to point out I am not a typical dieter. Although I am overweight, I have no particular interest in losing a certain amount of weight or losing weight in a certain timeframe. I travel often and make no attempt to diet when traveling. Additionally, I am as much interested in 5:2 from a research point of view as anything else. The 5:2 sites provide much helpful first-hand information from both people coming to 5:2 for the first time and from those that have ‘stuck around’ long enough to lose a lot of weight and are trying to figure out how to maintain their weight losses. In addition, many people collectively know more than a few, and I am able to pick up information I may not have found or found quickly from others who are kind enough to post new studies they have run across or articles about emerging issues in diet and nutrition that appear in publications around the world.

With that said, my interest in 5:2 started in early 2013 after seeing a five minute clip of Dr. M explaining the basics of 5:2 on a TV program. The weight loss concept was so simple and scientifically solid I immediately wondered why I or someone else had not thought of it decades earlier. I began doing 5:2 the next day. Over the next two years I lost 40 pounds. In 2015 I decided to experiment personally with weight maintenance and tried various fasting methods to determine which seemed to work best for me. At the end of 2015, I was one pound off my Jan. 1 starting weight and convinced that weight maintenance was easier using fasting concepts than it is with any other diet (or way of eating) I have studied. I have just returned from some travel and am going back on 5:2. I would like to lose about 20 or so pounds in 2016. My schedule will have an impact, but I have no doubt I can do it if I want to.

5:2 is not easy to do, but it is so simple that I am often saddened by all of the other confusing variations of IF people constantly propose. Many newbies get confused and fail as a result. I am intrigued, however, by the seemingly large number of people that return to 5:2 after trying it and stopping for whatever reasons. They seem to understand it works and they can do it. I hope in the future more and more come to that basic understanding – it works and they can do it if they want to. Until that ‘magic pill’ shows up, I think 5:2 is the best option of all of the diets out there and does not to be ‘supplemented’ in any way to be more effective. It is fine just as it is.

Simcoeluv, good luck on the easy journey you have ahead. I totally agree with all you say, 5:2 is a very sustainable, easy way of eating. AND IT WORKS😃 I’m sure that excess of yours will be gone in such a short time and you will be back to being fit and healthy, and wonder why you don’t do your fasting when travelling, it’s easy, just mind set, and self control…..have a positive day 💝Xxxxxxx

Heron,

I’d sure be interested to hear your results after a fast day. I’ve been doing two 48 hour zero calorie fasts a week for about a month and am curious if that’s long enough to go into ketosis. Every week I try to do 4 days in a row but haven’t been able to make it past 2.

Bronx

Thanks for your extensive reply, simcoeluv, I am also very interested in the medical aspects of the system. I find that reading the research on it is the only thing that motivates me to try it out on myself. In some books, such as Robert Skinner’s “The IF Diet 2016, 16:8 is presented as an alternative to 5:2 and simpler to do. In fact the two could be combined easily. I find M. Mosley’s book good, but a bit short on facts and too long on recipies. However his TV show was what got me interested in 5:2. I first became interested in the experience of fasting with Dr Allan Cott’s book *Fasting: The Ultimate Diet” published in 1975. It is still on my shelves and I have re-read it many times with pleasure.

Hi muddyone (and Bronx),

It would be unusual to go into ketosis by the end of 24 hours unless you are really exercising a lot or are on a carb restricted diet. Especially if you had a large dose of carbs beforehand (i.e. home made chips). Maybe if you severely limit your carbs the day before you fast and eat mostly fat and protein, them maybe you will go into ketosis sooner. I do two consecutive days on Monday and Tuesday with zero calories. So my last meal is 6pm on Sunday and the next one is 7am on Wednesday morning. By Tuesday morning 36 hours fast Ive got a ketone reading of about 0.5mmol/L. By Wednesday morning prior to eating breakfast, approx. 60-61 hours fast my reading is 2.3mmol/L.

I don’t think you have to go into full blown ketosis to get the benefits of this diet. If you REALLY want to get into ketosis then there is no short cut. You go zero cal for a couple of days or you go on a very carb restricted diet 24/7.

Im not advocating either by the way. Everyone finds their own happy place using 5:2.

Bronx just by one of the many glucose and ketone meters that are on the market. Ive just recently bought one and they are better than using keto-sticks if you want an accurate number rather than a colour change. The meters aren’t that expensive.

I was aiming to fast for as long as I needed to test the strips but a sweet tea made for me this morning put pay to that.
    So after 36 hours fasting (with one snack of tofu and olive salad) I registered ‘trace’ amounts of ketones (0.5 millimolar) which is still more than I was expecting. I’ll try again tomorrow with a longer fast.

Wikipedia tells me that the testing method isn’t especially accurate when compared to blood testing but it’s quite a handy tool to have and can act as encouragement.

I need clarification!!…..l have reached my goal weight and now do two back to back days with only a 500 kcal meal in the evening….(and that is mainly for the health benefits claimed in the MM book)From what “sim” is saying what MM wrote in his book about health benefits (little mechanics basically sorting things out in a relatively short fasting zone including cancer protection) is not true!!!……IF l have to do a 4 day water fast to achieve this then the information in the book is just wrong!!!

Gail,

Are you referring to work by Dr Valter Longo regarding cancer and living longer? Longo does recommend a 4 day fast once a month. I don’t think MM is saying you get those same benefits using 5:2 which was a compromise that MM thought he could manage and by extension what he thought most people could handle.

What health markers are you wanting to improve? Did you have any taken prior to starting your weight loss? If you did get some taken compare them to what you have now. My trigs have come down as well as my LDLs. My fasting blood glucose levels are right at the bottom of the normal range 3.9mmol/L. My systolic blood pressure has come down. Diastolic was always OK. Unfortunately my HDLs haven’t gone up but Ive changed my diet and am eating more fat and less carbs and will see if that has had an impact on my HDLs.

There are benefits to be had but there is no such thing as a magical bullet.

I am surprised so many people on the site are talking about ketones.
    This was the centre of attention for the Atkins Diet. We are on the 5:2 site, which is focusing on a different method. Naturally, you have to wait until the food you have inside you has been digested before going for more, but I don’t think all this worry about ketones need be part of doing the diet for the long term. It is about naturally restricting what you eat without even thinking about it, not measuring calories, and just living a normal life.

Thanks Heron and BigBooty for the information. I’m going to look for those meters the next time I’m at the local health food store. If they don’t have one I’ll probably get one on line.

Vero, you are so right about the objective of 5:2. I just tend to obsess about diet because I was fat most of my life and when I look in the mirror, even today while just trying to maintain my current weight, the first thing I see is fat.

No matter how much I weigh, I will probably always mentally see myself a fat man. I’m 58 and was fat for more years than not so it’s just a mental barrier I don’t think I can ever break through.

Bronx

Hi Bronx,
    I think practically all of us in this forum have a mental image of ourselves that others may not necessarily share. We all hate the look of extra fat hanging over our belts, and have tried for years to get rid of it. Knowing that conventional diets do not work, we are all going for this last chance effort to be freed from persuasive negative thoughts about ourselves. I am treating this as an all out last ditch effort, after which, if I don’t succeed, I will give up for ever. (and buy a plain BURKA for day, and a sparkly one for evening wear!).

Hi All,
    The point of the 5:2 lifestyle is to LIVE LONGER and losing weight is a nice side effect! In the first 6 months I lost about a pound per week and my blood pressure also came down. Then my weight bottomed out at my teens/twenties weight. Weight and blood pressure have been stable for the last two years.
    There may not be rock solid scientific proof that 5:2 helps you live longer, but
    1. My blood pressure (and weight) came down
    2. Our bodies have evolved for ‘feast & famine’ and cannot cope with ‘Feast, feast, feast…’
    3. The studies in the Horizon programme were fairly convincing.

With regard to Ketones:-
    On a fasting day, you start off ‘burning sugar’ (and not replacing it) (you know this is happening because you pee a lot) and after several hours your blood sugar level drops forcing your body to ‘burn fat’ (fat > ketones). You can tell when this starts to happen –
    1. you will become a bit irritable and headachey because your brain is used to being fuelled by glucose not ketones (from fat).
    2. You will pee less and your urine will be a much deeper yellow (due to the ketones).
    3. Your underarm sweat will be more smelly (due to the ketones) (make sure you use deodorant on fasting days!)
    4. You will feel hungry (low sugar level type hunger)

I find the change occurs about midday on a fasting day and lasts until about midday the next day (it takes a while for sugar levels to come back up)

Paul

Hi Gail:

5:2 has been proven to be a safe and successful way of losing weight, and you seem to be an excellent example! All I have said is there is no proof that 5:2 provides health benefits other than those that normally come with weight loss. However, those benefits are substantial! Further research may show other benefits, but I am not aware of such research at this time. Nor am I aware of any research that shows any other IF regime provides more benefit than that coming from weight loss.

One problem with proving other benefits is that all IF regimes allow people to eat whatever foods they want to eat so the variations are infinite. How can you prove that 5:2 does this or that when one person successfully doing 5:2 eats nothing but low fat sugar filled products and another eats high fat very low carb products and yet another only eats vegetables? The variables are way to great in number and food content types to possibly sort them all out. The impact of the food being eaten in the diet could easily overwhelm any impact of not eating for a couple of extra hours a day or a week.

So it comes down to belief. If you think eating the way you are eating is healthy and helpful, do it! If you don’t, find what you think is a more healthy way for you. But please don’t go back to eating the way you were eating and regain all of your weight. 5:2 is a long term way of eating that provides proven health benefits that normally come with weight loss like lower blood pressure, better cholesterol levels and lower triglyceride levels. There is absolutely nothing wrong with those kinds of outcomes!

Good Luck!

Ok,thank you,l am maintaining my weight at 9and a half stone and have been for a few months now (I am 5ft 6″)..So l will continue 5:2 as l have been doing it.Unfortunetly l did not take any “markers” when l started this about 18 months ago so have nothing to compare……

Vero, I’m certainly not worried about ketones. I’m simply interested to see at what stage of fasting I approach ketosis. As I said, I think it may act as a small encouragement to fast longer and more strictly. I’d also like first hand proof that ketosis isn’t going to happen in a day as many people mistakenly think despite the wealth of information available.
    The strips aren’t the greatest indicator anyway as they only test for one chemical and the colour will be darker the less hydrated one is but it will be interesting nonetheless.
    I’m not expecting a reading of 1.5mM before at least 48 hours of water fasting.

As an aside, I have no interest in 5:2 until I reach my maintenance weight (or shape, more accurately). Until then I’ll stick with the far quicker, and just as easy, ADF upon which most of the science of 5:2 was based.

Hello Heron,
    I tend to agree with what you are saying. How many kilos have you lost in how long on ADF? I am thinking of trying it.

Simcoeluv,
    I had to smile. Your response sounds like the man who said “I thank Thee, Lord, that I am not like other men”.

Well, I wasn’t sensible enough to weigh myself at the start (October) so I don’t really know. I’d guess at around 2 stone. I’ve lost my beer belly (despite guzzling over the RDA of booze on feed days) and am now approaching something resembling a flat stomach. My waist is at least 2 inches smaller and I’ve reversed the first signs of double chin and attendant jowels. I’ve always had skinny arms and legs but now the rest of me almost matches.

I haven’t stopped snacking or enjoying bread and potatoes at all so I’m pretty pleased so far. If I’d have gone low carb I imagine I would have lost weight much quicker.

Heron, Well done! Two stone is a lot in 4 and a half months.
    I have 10kilos to lose. I have only had vegetable soup today, and coffee.

I did another 36 hour fast yesterday, this time a water fast, and the strips indicated between 1.5mM and 4mM of ketones in my urine. Closer to 4 if the indicator is to be believed. This would suggest that I am in ketosis after a day and a half of zero calories but I’m more inclined to believe that ketostix aren’t a particularly accurate measure.

I just got results back from a blood test I had done as part of my annual physical exam. The test was taken after about 60 hours of fasting, and on the chart Ketones are out of range, 2+, which I assume is a good thing.

I had the exam yesterday and went through the report with my doctor. BP is great, cholesterol is “Out of the park” great and most other tests are either normal or out of range on the good side.

One thing my doctor is a little concerned about (but not too concerned) is that my sodium level is low. He thinks I might be drinking too much water and asked me to back off a bit. I’m mentioning it here for others to remember you don’t want to drink too much water; too much of a good thing can be as bad as not enough, so be careful.

Bronx

Viewing 45 posts - 1 through 45 (of 45 total)

You must be logged in to reply.