What have you eaten so far on your FD?

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
What have you eaten so far on your FD?

This topic contains 37 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by  WhereAmI 6 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

• I thought it would be interesting to see what everyone else eats on their FD, either today’s fast since Monday seems to be a popular FD, or what you typically eat. Please state your calorie count for the day, since some of us are doing 500, 600, 800 or other? Maybe this will give us ideas of new foods or recipes and be helpful to newbies who are just starting out and wondering what the heck to eat. 😀

Please include your approximate local time.

Monday 2:00 PM – 500 calories

So far: 1 Ttb soy creamer in my coffee this morning. Drank the first one black – 15 calories
    I – 6 ounce can pink salmon with lemon juice and herbs – 180 calories
    195 calorie total so far.

I limit myself to 600 calories per day on fasting days. That gives me a deficit of 2600 calories compared to my TDEE of around 3200.

It’s 5:07pm and I haven’t eaten yet because I’m not hungry. I had planned to have some soup.

I’ve had 2 cups of coffee, one with unsweetened soy milk and one with unsweetened almond milk. I’m going to have another cup of coffee with unsweetened almond milk now. Coffee doesn’t keep me awake so it isn’t a problem. 100 ml of unsweetened almond milk in my coffee is only 16 calories. 100 ml of unsweetened soy milk is only 33 calories.

I bought some broccoli to have tonight (I usually steam it). I love broccoli. I might have some butter or melted cheese with it because I’ve got a few hundred calories up my sleeve. But I’m more than happy to eat just plain broccoli on my fasting days.

Just started back on the 5:2 today after a year or so of abject laziness and piling it on…

Today so far looks like this:
    80 kcal egg
    45 kcal tomatoes
    20 kcal cup of tea
    90 kcal ham

Total: 235

This evening:

5 kcal Mushroom
    36 kcal (5g) butter
    136 kcal Half tin beans
    125 kcal Quorn Sausages

I forgot that I started this thread and didn’t add the rest for yesterday. Here’s what I ended up eating:

1 Ttb soy creamer in my coffee this morning. Drank the first one black – 15 calories
    I – 6 ounce can pink salmon with lemon juice and herbs – 180 calories
    1 can of Progresso Light Cheese & Enchilada Soup. Whole can 180 calories
    1 large apple – 130
    Total for day – 505 calories

At half past three I had a carton of kidney beans, mashed with chili powder with a bag of spinach, half a packet of sugar snap peas, a few finger chilis, some sliced fennel and some crumbled feta zapped in the microwave so that it is just warm, the veg still crisp but the spinach wilted nicely and the cheese melted. I estimate that was about 600 calories. Apart from that I have only had lots of black coffee and a cup of peppermint tea. It is 7pm and the kitchen is closed so that is it. This is my favourite fast day meal as it is filling, covers my five a day veg, contains both fat and protein and doesn’t leave me with further cravings.

Today is my first day of 5:2
    Fd
    Black coffee
    Green tea
    I had 3 tablespoons of Greek yougurt with blueberries at 12.30 – around 80 calories
    Apple at 15.30 -80 calories
    Miso soup,mixed steamed vegetable packet.3 tablespoons of cooked Chickpeas 150 cal

Snack 10. raspberries ? 40 cal

Iam not sure whether calorie count is all correct
    Feel lighter and good

I ended up having steamed broccoli with melted cheese on top last night.

I used very accurate electronic scales to weigh the broccoli (270g) and the cheese (75g) and calculated the calories at 92 for the broccoli and 315 for the cheese.

Add that to the almond milk and soy milk I had with my coffee and it comes to about 460 calories. I still had 140 calories up my sleeve but I was already well satisfied.

I’m starting today as a back-to-back fasting day but I’m about 50/50 on whether I’ll stick with it, as I’m wary of overdoing it while I’m still recovering from a heavy cold. It’s 10:23 am and I haven’t eaten yet, I may have soup for lunch whenever the hunger kicks in.

I aim for roughly 500 calories on a FD which only gives me a calorie deficit of 900cals, as I have a low TDEE of 1400. I used to be very careful about staying counting the 500, but now that I’m using 5:2 for maintenance and I use the same foods I no longer need to count. So that I could give helpful information I went back and converted the last three FDs.

For the first few weeks I tried lots of FD recipies, but I quickly discovered that FD meals need to take little physical or mental effort for me so I settled on a small range of things I make repeatedly.
    On FDs the only meal I eat is Dinner, so it gets the bulk of my calories – usually 200-325cals. I always allow calories for up to 1 cup of milk as I like cups of milky tea without sugar and it’s these that help me to get through to dinner on a FD fairly easily. I sometimes have a small piece of fruit mid-afternoon on a FD, but I don’t always need it.
    Dinner is one of the following:
    – veggie stir fry with either chicken, prawns, squid or cashew nuts and sometimes also konjac noodles.
    – omelette with a green vegetable filling (asparagus, spinach or brocolli) and 5-10g parmesan.
    – Any soup that contains both vegetables and legumes (this is a cold weather choice only for me)
    – Any salad containing lots of green leafy veg plus whatever else is in season. Protein will be either tinned salmon, cooked chicken or ricotta cheese. (this is a hot weather choice only for me)

Yesterday I did a FD that was atypical for me::
    9:30am – pot of tea with milk (2 tea cups)
    12:45pm – smoothie made from home made 200ml kefir, 1/4 cup frozen blueberries, vanilla extract and ice cubes
    2:30pm – pot of tea with milk (2 tea cups)
    4:45pm – stir fry of broccoli, beans, cashew nuts and konjac noodles with tamari sauce, garlic, ginger and chilli. Garnished with a few drops of sesame oil.
    10:00pm – cup of decaf tea with milk.
    Milk used was 150ml = 300kj (72cal)
    Smoothie was 555kj (132cal)
    Stir fry was 780kj (186cal)
    Total for the day 1635kj or 390cals
    This was not a typical FD, but I had just made my first batch of kefir and wanted to try it. I also had an evening meeting to go to which meant leaving home at 5:30 and not getting back again until 9:30, so dinner was unusually early.

Last Sunday was also a FD for me and it was more representative of a normal FD:
    10:00am – pot of tea with milk (2 tea cups)
    12:45pm – pot of tea with milk (2 tea cups)
    3:00pm – pot of tea with milk & 1/2 banana spread with 2tsp almond paste
    6:15pm – stir fry of broccoli, beans, cashew nuts and konjac noodles with tamari sauce, garlic, ginger and chilli. Garnished with a few drops of sesame oil.
    7:00pm – cup of decaf tea with milk.
    11:00pm – cup of decaf tea with milk.
    Milk used was 250ml = 500kj (120cal)
    banana & nut paste 450kj (107cal)
    Stir fry was 780kj (186cal)
    Total for the day 1730kj or 413cals

To show you what a FD that doesn’t include stir fry looks like, I just need to go back to the previous one which was last Thursday:
    10:00am – pot of tea with milk (2 tea cups)
    12:00pm – pot of tea with milk (2 tea cups)
    3:00pm – pot of tea with milk (2 tea cups) & one tangello
    6:45pm – a very large bowl(approx 3 cups) of home made minestrone soup – contained green beans, carrot, zucchini, onions, tomatoes, mushrooms, sundried tomato pesto, haricot beans and chicken broth (no pasta but a really generous amount of legumes)
    11:00pm – mug of decaf spicy chai tea with milk.
    Milk used was 250ml = 500kj (120cal)
    tangello 260kj (62cal)
    Minestrone was 1315kj (313cal)
    Total for the day 2075kj or 495cals

For those of you who are new I want to offer a note of caution. While it can be useful to look at what others do on a FD, you do need to find your own path on this one. It needs to be sustainable for you. When I first started I was advised not to allocate calories for drinks but to apply all 500cals to food. I quickly found that my cups of tea were so important that I was actually prepared to allocate calories to them on a FD. This wouldn’t suit everyone but does work for me. (I have since found others who allow calories for a latte to start their day with.) I was also advised to start eating as late in the day as I could manage – this is something that really did work well for me and was advice that I’ve continued to follow. So try out the options for yourself and find the balance that feels comfortable – it took me about 3 weeks to figure out what worked best.

LJoyce, thank you for extensive lists and calorie breakdowns for different days menus. I had avoided milk in my tea and coffee on FD, but I agree that those drinks are important to me and taste a lot better to me with milk. So I should probably rethink that.

Enconahead, welcome back to 5:2. I don’t think I had started when you were here before, so to me you’re new.

Rama17, welcome to the 5:2 way of eating. I hope you like it as much as I do and have success in losing weight.

Big_Bill and fatrabbit, great to see you posting here. I love all the ideas for FD meals. I agree with LJoyce that FD meals should be easy and fast and foods that you really enjoy. Tinned salmon or tuna are quick ways to add protein, either with herbs and spices or added to a green salad. Big Bill, I just bought another food scale last week. I had 2 or 3 that broke over the years and feel more comfortable now not having to guess at how much things weigh.

@califdreamer

Normally I take a bit of an educated guess as well. If I buy half a kilo of brussels sprouts and eat half of what I bought, I know I just ate roughly 250g. And a lot of what I eat is pre-packaged foods like soups as well. The electronic scales are excellent though, super accurate and I think they cost about $9. I keep meaning to cook my own food more for fasting days, so hopefully they will be getting more use.

Salads are great with tuna or a boiled egg or two. I find that I don’t even mind them without dressing now.

Today I had my lunch early, around 10 am. 300g of broccoli and 250g of papaya, weighed on the old spring scales which I think is accurate enough for food that isn’t calorie-dense. That was about 200 calories in total. I got hungry early as I fasted yesterday as well. Normally you’d have the savoury broccoli and then the sweet papaya but I just kind of had a bit of each, then a bit more of each, until it was gone. Separate mouthfuls at least.

I went to the gym at lunchtime then had some Thai pumpkin soup in the afternoon for 150 calories. It wasn’t great, I won’t be buying that brand again.

So it’s 5:20 pm and I still have 250 calories to eat today. It will probably be some protein, a couple of boiled eggs and a tomato sounds good.

I’m looking forward to the weekend. I’ll try to be sensible with the eating, but that doesn’t always work out.

I’m taking the unusual step of a 3rd FD this week as I have 3 celebration/restaurant meals to deal with in the next 4 days. So I decided I really needed to do another FD today, even though I’m not in the mood for it.

Food for the day so far:
    6:15am – 1 mug of tea with milk
    9:45am – 1 mug of tea with milk, 125ml homemade kefir
    12:30pm – pot of tea with milk (2 tea cups)
    1:30pm – 1 small banana and 1 tablespoon crunchy peanut butter

Food planned for the rest of the day:
    2 pots of tea with milk
    bowl (2 cups) of homemade lentil soup (brown lentils, onion, celery, carrot, tinned tomatoes, zucchini and ham hock broth)

Milk used 250ml = 500kj (120cal)
    Kefir = 250kj (60cal)
    banana & peanut butter = 835kj (200cal)
    Lentil soup = 615kj (145cal)
    Total for the day will hopefully be 2200kj or 525cals

This will put me a little over 500cals, but as it’s my 3rd FD for the week and I’m not in the mood for a FD, if I actually make it through with just 525cal I’ll be relieved. Normally I would have cut the peanut butter back to 2 teaspoons, which would have kept me under target. I just couldn’t stop eating it and went back for another scoop. I also needing extra glasses of water to distract myself from food today.

Some FDs are really easy, but this wasn’t one of them. I’ve been struggling with it all day and am happy to have gotten through to dinner time without eating unplanned food.

I ended up having a pot of tea at 3:45pm.

At 5:45pm I could wait no longer for dinner. I looked at my bowl of lentil soup and knew I would still be hungry with 500ml. So I added another cup of water and a 1/2 tsp Massel beef stock powder to the bowl of soup. This increased the volume significantly and I now feel very comfortably full. This added just 15kj (3cal) to the soup but made a big difference to me being satisfied with my dinner.

I feel well able to get through the remainder of the evening with just a cup of decaf spicy chai later this evening if I need it.

I think the lesson from today is that some FDs are a struggle. It doesn’t mean you have to abandon them, just look for some low calorie ways of getting through the day.

Some FD are definitely a struggle and for me, it’s almost always the second fast of the week, usually Thursday. I usually try to add more water or sparkling water. That can be a problem late in the day because of having to get up during the night, but better that than overeating.

I like broccoli and will often eat a whole 1 pound bag of frozen broccoli spears and pieces. (After steaming or microwaving them, of course.) Only 150 calories for the bag and it always fills me up. This is my go to on a “hungry day”. Pretty much any green vegetable is similarly low in calories. Keeping them in the freezer means they’re always handy. Beans and lentils are higher in calories but they’re full of fiber which goes a long way in keeping me feeling full.

Black coffee or black tea. No sugar in either. And diet coke. That’s it.

My Monday FD

2 tbs soy creamer in my coffee this morning. 30 calories
    Dinner: I pound broccoli stems & pieces (from frozen) 150 calories
    Lunch: 1 can of Progresso Light Cheese & Enchilada Soup. Whole can 180 calories
    1 medium Granny Smith Apple – 100 calories

Big cup of Bengal Spice tea
    Water
    Diet Cherry 7up

Total – 460 calories

I’ve been keeping my FDs to near zero calories, although I have started mixing 1/4 glass of club soda with water and a squirt of lemon juice. I also sometimes have black coffee, tea or a diet soda. So there are a few calories but probably under 20 for the fast day.

FD today

Food for the day so far:
    10:15am – pot of tea with milk (2 tea cups)
    12:45am – pot of tea with milk (2 tea cups)
    3:00pm – 1 red apple (whole weight is 160g)
    1:30pm – 1 mug of cocoa made with unsweetened almond milk (I added 2 tsp inulin)
    Dinner – by 6:30pm I’ll have a bowl of homemade lentil soup (brown lentils, onion, celery, carrot, tinned tomatoes, zucchini and ham hock broth)
    I will probably also have a cup of spicy chai in the evening

Cows Milk used 150ml = 300kj (72cal)
    apple = 395kj (94cal)
    almond milk cocoa = 330kj (79cal)
    Lentil soup = 615kj (146cal)
    Total for the day 1640kj or 391cals

Fasted since 8:30pm last night, had a black coffee at 9.30am, a small banana and some overnight oats at 1pm -(measured)
    🙂

Planning to eat again at about 9pm only something light though.

I do not eat anything. I drink three juces (vegetables and fruits) and a bouillon with egg. And an espresso of course without sugar!

I eat 5ish the day before, fast 24hrs then eat 2 egg veggie omelet with wholemeal rice about 5pm, then fast until 1200 the next day when I’ll have porridge or eggs and mackerel, evening time a big salad with some sort of protein, fast 24hrs….. Repeat, repeat over and over. Lost 10 pounds in the last 7 weeks, I find doing the 5:2 with 16:8 works fab!

Forgot to mention I drink tablespoon of apple cider vinegar with tablespoon fresh lemon juice mixed in a glass of spring water 3 times a day even on fast days.

12 noon
    500kcal on fast days:

I’ve had 3 FD so far on my journy to new WOL.
    First FD:
    Breakfast: Herbalife Formula 1 shake 220kcal (2,5dl skimmed milk)
    Dinner: 5dl buljong/bouillon (vegetable) with about 100gr grilled chicken (no skin) 210kcal
    Counted 472kcal that day.

Second FD:
    Skipped breakfast and lunch.
    Dinner: 240gr grilled chicken (350kcal)
    43gr avocado (85kcal)
    1strawberry ( i went past my strawberryplant and ate one before i remembered my FD 😂
    But do to some “nagging” about not eating anything for lunch from a co worker, next FD im gonna do Herbalife shake (240kcal with 3dl skimmed milk) for lunch on FD-workdays.

3.day i had 300gr of beef with a couple of cherry tomatoes.

Maayyaa, nagging co-workers can be a pain, but if you aren’t hungry at lunchtime I would recommend you stand your ground. I think it’s important on FDs to understand when your hunger is strongest and plan food for those times. Eating just because someone else thinks you should is not a good reason – I’m worried that this might upset the careful choices you’ve been making so far.

I have had just 140 kcal so far today (it’s 17:00 hours now). I plan to have a “naked” beef burger for dinner, with baked beans and salad. This brings the day up to 550 kcal.

My question for those “in the know”, is: Is the burger a very bad idea, or doesn’t it matter (Within reason) how you keep within the 600 kcal range? I do try to keep carbs low or nil on FDs. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Enconahead, I only worry about keeping my calories at the 500 calorie limit on FD. Anything goes, as long as it adds up to that. I concentrate on eating things that I like. Whatever gets me through the day!

Thanks CalifDreamer – that was exactly the answer I was hoping for! Might even add a grilled mushroom.

@ljoyce Thanks, and today i did. Cause i actually was not hungry, and i guess she forgot to keep asking me to eat later on 🙂
    Its nice to not feel the hunger “all day”, and knowing that it is ok to not eat if not hungry. When i said i was not hungry, therefor not eating, she actually replied: “Im a habit eater, i eat because that is what i always do, wether I’m hungry or not.” And i thought to my self, yes, and I’m not a habit eater anymore.
    (she is already slim though) 🙂 Two successful FDś this week.

i am sticking to 500cals and two meals evenly split (i am only 1 week in). for breakfast i have 200g of quark, a banana and some berries, i then have lots of black coffee or herbal tea and then for tea i have had chicken stir fry, chicken fajita (single) and first day i had 2 vegeterian sausage, spinach and one egg. seems to be ok up to now!

Enconahead – If my thinking is correct, and a naked burger is without the bun then I don’t see the problem. I think the perfect main meal on a FD is plenty of veg (carbs with lots of fibre and micro-nutrients but not a lot of sugars) and a solid serve of protein. Add that mushroom next time – good source of B12!

Maayyaa – I’m really glad you listened to yourself and not your colleague. I also used to be someone who ate 3 meals a day regardless of hunger. Giving up the breakfast habit was one of the best decisions I’ve made for weight control.

Thursday’s FD

2 tbs soy creamer in coffee – 30
    1 can Progresso Light Cheese & Enchilada soup – 180
    Green salad with tomato & tuna – 170
    Large fresh peach – 100

Total – 480

Also, diet soda, tea, water

Friday FD – About 23 hours in …

Coffee black, lots of water, 2 glasses of diet soda … only slight hunger

Next week I’m going to try and go multiple days … I’m worried about it. I have more problems the second day.

FD for me today. My planned food is:

250ml reduced fat milk for cups of tea 500kj (120cal)
    100ml kefir 200kj (48cal)
    1 kiwi fruit 198kj (47cal)
    homemade bouillabaisse 500ml 1190kj (283cal)
    Total for the day 2088kj or 498cals

The milky cups of tea will be spread across the day and evening (switching to decaf teas in the evening).
    The fruit & kefir will be mid-afternoon and the bouillabaisse is for dinner.

The bouillabaisse contains a homemade fish stock (also made with wine, tomatoes and orange zest). To the strained stock I added monkfish, salmon, prawns, carrots, red onion, potato and peas.
    As I’ve mentioned before, I keep my cooking to a minimum on FDs. It took a long time to make the bouillabaisse from scratch and this is something I would never contemplate doing on a FD. However I made the stock on Thursday and the soup yesterday (both NFDS). Today I just have to reheat a bowl of it and I can manage that on a FD.

LJoyce, that bouillabaisse sounds so good! A gourmet FD!

Fast day for me today. Food planed for today:

1 cup of milk to have in cups of tea throughout the day
    Mid afternoon: 1 very small banana (110g with skin on)
    Dinner: omelette (made from 1 whole egg, 1/2 cup egg white, 1 bunch steamed asparagus, 60g cooked spinach, 1 heaped tsp sundried tomato pesto, 1 dessertspoon grated parmesan cheese, 1/2 teaspoon butter)
    Milk = 500kj-120cal
    Banana = 250kj-60cal
    Omelette = 932kj-222cal
    Totals = 1682kj-402cal

For today, Monday, which is almost over I ate this:

2 tbs soy creamer in my coffee this morning. 30 calories
    Dinner: I pound broccoli stems & pieces (from frozen) 150 calories
    Lunch: 1 can of Progresso Light Cheese & Enchilada Soup. Whole can 180 calories
    1 medium Apple – 80 calories

440 calories total

Sparkling flavored water 0 calorie
    Diet Pepsi
    Lemon herbal tea

Second fast day for me today, I had a delicious chicken cacciatore for dinner 7pm – 262
    Miso soup for ‘lunch’ at 3pm – 26
    Total 288 calories

Plus plenty of water, 2 black coffees and ginger tea.

I try to stay under 500 and so far so good. Monday was my first fast day, I had a huge bowl of lamb lettuce, grated carrot and celeriac, chickpeas and olive oil – 354 calories. That wasn’t as tasty as tonight’s dinner though, something was missing, maybe some apple and ginger.

Recipe if you’re interested
    https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/lighter-chicken-cacciatore

I have changed nothing… My caloric setpoint is about 2500-3000/day. I have experienced a reduction in appetite on the first day post fast and I thrilled for that little bonus. The concept of not restricting my diet on off days is probably the #1 selling point for me. I am a habitual diet quitter for that very reason. Only on my 3rd week thus far so time will tell but… I feel differently about this diet/life change. I feel more confident and happy about the strategic process than anything else I have ever done. So I say… Eat & be satisfied on your normal days and do what’s right for you. Good luck!

My first FD today. I had porridge from 40g rolled oats / water / tiny pinch of salt. Added 80g frozen raspberries to this. No milk or sugar, just really thick porridge.

Nothing else till evening meal besides water & two mugs of green tea.

Dinner was one and one half multigrain Salada crackers, 50g rare roast beef and one and one half boccancini. All assembled to look like little appetisers.

Treat was the one square of Lindt 90% dark chocolate (eaten in tiny pieces to savour the moment).

Feeling good…

Butternut mulligatawny … huge servings for the calories 😉

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/chunky-butternut-mulligatawny

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply.