What have I learned?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  fast for life 10 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• Not sure exactly when I started fasting. It could be 3 weeks it could be 4 weeks ago. Today is another fast day. It’s an off duty day and I had hoped to sleep late but awoke at 6am thinking about my major jam & preserve making session that I’ve planned. I must be crazy spending my time doing that on a fast day.

My initial excitement at losing a whopping 4kg has been replaced with a little disappointment at regaining 2kg of the 4 lost. Okay, I’ve still lost weight and that’s great but I have realised that in order to lose weight on the 5:2 I will have to be very careful on non-fast days. Assuming that I can have that piece of cake or partake of all the goodies at a buffet is definitely not the right thing to do. Fasting for 2 days and eating the way I used to eat, will not result in weight loss…..period!!!

Things are changing though. I am noticing that I’m getting full much more quickly. I’m recognising whether I’m really hungry or whether my brain is just telling me to eat for comfort. I’ve realised that on many occasions, eating has just been habit, almost an addiction (awful to say)and that I have a lot of readjusting to do. I’ve realised that eating whilst watching TV is not exactly mindful and that it’s possible to eat a whole meal without actually giving it attention and therefore not savouring it. Then I end up craving more 🙁 These are all positive things and I’m happy about that because by becoming aware, I can address the issues.

I don’t particularly enjoy fast days, however they do allow me to experience the difference between real hunger and emotional hunger and they are also altering my attitude to food. The forums also help, I’ve learned so much by reading them. Onwards and upwards. Now, back to preparing green tomato & courgette relish and green tomato jam!

Hi aniann

Can you post the jam recipe sounds wonderful.

Thanks

Of course I can 🙂 I’ll do it later today.

Anianna I have been writing a basic food diary since January and the app MyFitnessPal since doing 5:2 a few weeks back. It really makes you realise where all the calories are! Good luck 🙂

Thanks tickatape. I’m using the MyFatSecret app but haven’t really recorded food intake on non-fast days. Most times I know I’m within my allowance without checking but sometimes if I do have extras I know that it will push me over the limit. I wouldn’t have the time to record everything, well actually most times I’d forget, so I’ll just do the odd day to see how many calories I rack up. 🙂

5kg gone, I reckon that’s 11 lbs. Only 3 lbs to go and that will be a stone. So pleased. I thought that because I’ve had to suspend fast days this week due to a bad cold, I would regain but no. I actually continued to lose. Pleased to report that I am beginning to feel better, even if I don’t have any sense of smell or taste at the moment. Going to try and kick start the taste buds tonight with chilli 🙂

so pleased to hear your on the mend, and what a boost to be almost a stone down, well done xxx

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply.