What fibre rich food can I eat?

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
What fibre rich food can I eat?

This topic contains 15 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  khalid 1 year ago.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

• Forgive my ignorance, but the only way to avoid constipation on dieting days is by eating any of these two:

– Certain Fruits (specially pears, these help me the most, apple, oranges etc)
    – Muesli (bare, without any sugar/sugary add-ons).

For example: if I eat something like this:

– a cup of cooked rice with vegetables or a Quinoa dish or a Lentils dish (all which I love!) + some protein food like Tuna or roasted chicken breast + 1 salad.

I get constipated.

Any advice or fibre rich food? (not too expensive if possible)

Any help much appreciated 🙂

AntonioMS Try Fulvic Acid- I take 5 drops 2x/day in distilled water (very important) and constipation problem s are solved!

I love soup because it has plenty of liquid (helps avoid constipation) and I have veggies and lentils or beans in it (lots of fibre including soluble fibre). Also it fills up the belly to make me feel satisfied.

Note: Also drink plenty of water through the day,

To keep calories under 500 and maintain a reasonable fibre level, I concentrate on eating mostly vegetables on fast days.

I have a small number of main meal choices for fast days that contain mostly vegetables (thankfully some freeze well too):
    – a big bowl of vegetable soup – often also containing some legumes
    – vegetable curry or stew with legumes
    – a large salad with lots of raw veg and a little tinned salmon, or a hard boiled egg, or some cooked chickpeas
    – a stir fry (with no more than 1 tsp oil) with lots of veg, a 1/2 packet of drained washed konjac noodles, up to 100g chicken breast and flavourings such as garlic, ginger, chilli, coriander and tamari sauce

If you haven’t come across konjac noodles, they are made from a vegetable that is very fibrous. So a serve only has about 8-10 calories but also 6-9 grams of fibre (depending on the brand). (In Australia these are sold in the supermarket, usually in the “health food” isle next to the gluten free products.)

I would rethink your choice of rice as a suitable grain if fibre is your goal. 100g (dry weight) of basmati rice has only 0.7g fibre (even brown rice is only 4.8grams). For the same (or fewer) calories you could use pearl barley (11.7grams), freekeh (12.9grams), bulghur (12.1grams), kasha buckwheat (10grams), quinoa (6grams), spelt couscous (6.8grams). Pretty much every other grain provides more fibre than rice.

Legumes would be an excellent protein source for fibre as 100g dry legumes contain 17-32grams fibre, depending on the variety.

If you need a backup supplement, I’d suggest psyllium husk, dissolved into water. (one metric tablespoon has 4.3grams fibre). This is a liquid when you first mix it into the water but quickly turns into a very thick gel. (It’s important to drink a large glass of water immediately after taking the psyllium.)

One final thing to bear in mind is that large amounts of fibre can also cause constipation if it is not accompanied by sufficient water as without the water, the fibre can cause a blockage.

Are you sure this is safe? Wikipedia doesn’t describe Fulvic Acid for this purpose. Thanks for your answer.

I can’t find psyllium husk in UK pharmacies.

I noticed that lettuce based salads have very little fiber or none (I used to think they had lots of fibre).

Thanks for your help, helpful answer.

Natural calm! It’s a magnesium powder you mix in water. Simple, and always effective, gentle enough for even small kids. Some use it daily, some as needed. Not habit forming, I highly recommended.

AntonioMS, I get psyllium from the supermarket – in Oz it’s either in the “health food” or “cereals” isle – much cheaper than the chemist

I guess psyllium is something you can take on a daily basis? no long term bad effects? I had the idea that constipation drugs were to be used just briefly.

Psyllium isn’t a drug, it’s the husk of a plant.
    I know several people who use it every day – although I think it’s because they haven’t bothered to include enough plant based high fibre foods in their diet daily and taking psyllium is an easy way out.

I keep a packet of psyllium in the cupboard and only use it on a rare day when I think my diet has been severely lacking in fibre. I tend to use it more in summer as one of my favourite lunches in hot weather is a large smoothie. I make it with lots of ice, one serve of fruit (usually 1/2 banana and a handful of berries), one serve of dairy (usually kefir or greek yoghurt) and a cup of unsweetened almond milk. I also add one tablespoon of powdered psyllium before I blend it into a thick smoothie. Not only does this raise the fibre level, but it also means it’s a very filling lunch and sustains me well into the afternoon.

Thanks a lot for your great answer LJoyce. I was about to tell you I’ll get it ASAP when I stumbled upon this
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1370123/High-fibre-supplement-linked-to-cancer-risk.html

….it says psyllium husk may linked to cancer.

I’ll do a bit more research if I find the time, your advice seems so good.

It just goes to show that getting fibre from a good selection of plant based foods is always best.

I think Lacti fiber is good and it can be taken 2 teaspoon with water at bedtime. It helps in constipation.

How about porridge oats with water and a splash of milk. I find this filling and good fibre. I add chia seeds to cereal and soups also good to help you go. Vegetable soups and plenty of water will help too.

Oatmeal, legumes, broccoli, veggies and fruit in general, nuts etc. For lunch I usually have ground turkey, baby spinach, frozen veggies, and a redskin potato and a typical serving of that for me has 10g of fiber. If you don’t mind eating the same thing every day it’s super easy to meal prep and you can make it exciting by adding different spice to the turkey and changing up what types of veggies you add.

Here I can tell you some types of foods that are rich in fiber are;

1. Avocados.
    2. Beans.
    3. Dry fruits.
    4. Berries.
    5. Apples.

High-Fiber Foods:
    Beans. Lentils and other beans are an easy way to sneak fiber into your diet in soups, stews, and salads
    Broccoli. This veggie can get pigeonholed as a fiber vegetable.
    Berries
    Avocados
    Popcorn
    Whole Grains
    Apples
    Dried Fruits

Canned fish

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply.