Week 7 and no change in measurements or weight

This topic contains 13 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  demuralist 10 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

• Hi folks,

Could anyone suggest any help for me. I’m 39, 5ft 6, and 16 stone 2. (I know, that’s heavy!) and that was also what I weighed 7 weeks ago before i started the 2:5. My measurements are also the same. I basically eat a yogurt for breakfast (which I don’t have till around 12.30 from sleeping the night through) then an apple for lunch followed by tea of some steamed salmon on green beans or a can of soup around 7pm. If i get desperate in the day i drink water and eat a few tic tacs (2 cals each) or have a tea with milk. I am sedatary (making jewellery and applying for jobs) during the day.

I feel I should be seeing a change by now. My parents are both doing it and their weight and inches are going down and they don’t exercise either (both disabled) Does anyone have any suggestions apart from get off my ass?

Many thanks 🙂

Hi Kharis, Don’t feel too disappointed, I’m sure your body is benefitting in the other ways that Michael Mosley talks about in his book, cholesterol, blood glucose etc.
    Have you used the TDEE calculator on here to work out how many calories you should be consuming on a non-fast day? (hover over the “how?” tab at the top and the dropdown appears) You might find that your TDEE might only be around 1600 cals so you may be going a little over that on non-fast days and that could be why you’re not losing weight.
    Once you work out how many cals you’re allowed you should keep a diary of your calorie intake just to make sure you’re sticking within it. I find pen and paper handy but there’s a smartphone app called myfitnesspal which a lot of people on here use. You can search for brand names and even scan the barcodes to get the cal content. It works out how many cals you should be having but I would use the TDEE on here instead.
    I would say stick at it especially since you know it works because you can see your parents results. I know that’s probably disheartening that they’re losing and your not but I’m sure you will catch-up!
    All the best and keep us posted! Claire

Hi Kharis,

I agree with cc79. It’s still early days It seems desperately unfair that you are not losing when you are eating so abstemiously but thare are almost certainly some good things going on that are not immediately apparent.

I am something of a fellow-sufferer as regards weight loss. I’ve been Fast Dieting since the beginning of February and have still only lost 6 kilos, (13 pounds). However, blood pressure has plunged, cholesterol has dropped to a healthy level – or at least I think 4.8 is a healthy level as the medics keep moving the goal posts! – not a sign of high blood glucose despite both parents being diabetic. I have much more energy and definitely move considerably faster. And yes, some clothes now fit flatteringly while others have found their way to the charity shop because they are now ginormous.

Not in a million years will I tell you to get off your arse (UK spelling)! Instead I’d say hang on in there.

Hi Kharis,

It seems very unfair on you that you’re trying so hard and cannot see your weight reducing. Good on you for keeping going even in the face of this. Don’t give up. I’ve read about many health benefits associated with the fasting too that are so positive.

If you like, take a look at my thread under “eating right for your type”. Simply put – eating food that is compatible with your blood group. It takes a few minutes to find a list on any relevant website. They give you “beneficial” foods, great for health and weight loss. There are some neutral foods and finally an “avoid” list.

Personally I was eating and drinking too many items from my avoid list on both fast and non fast days. Now I try and stick to avoiding the wrong things the best I can on non fast days but totally embrace the beneficial foods for a totally clean fast.

I’d be interested on your take on this subject. Many people find that at first they have to totally rethink their diet but after a little thought they quite enjoy the challenge of creating dishes around their new food list.

Good luck with your journey. Hope this helps.

HI Kharis,

I too did not lose any weight or inches for nearly 3 months but I stuck at it and finally I started seeing results. There are some weeks that I do 3:4 rater than 2:5 which also made a massive difference. I don’t do thins all the time as I am quite social but if I have a quiet week I’ll put an extra day in there and it seems to have done the trick.

Keep going and remember all the health benefits that you are getting without even realising! You will see results eventually 🙂

Hello kharis

I was going to welcome you to the fast diet forum but I noticed that I responded to your first post and you didn’t respond!

Are you still taking the raspberry ketones to suppress your appetite? that might have something to do with your lack of weight loss….

Hey Kharis, how are things now? Did any of the above posts help? Keep us updated!!

Hi, just reporting in that there is still no weight change and I appear to be GAINING inches, approx 1/2 to 1 inch all around since my last post. I have worked out my TDEE and realise that I am probably over that on non fasting days so I will have to start working out ALL food whether I am on a fasting day or not!! Is that likely to help me at all anyone??

Parents weigh in is weight lost AND inches! I feel utterly gutted that I am not seeing any changes anywhere apart from ones in the opposite direction!!

Anyone else had this problem? at the moment i’m tempted to give up but really don’t want to… 🙁

And no Nika…. not taken them at all since your first recommended post to me

Hi Kharis, I was wondering if you have ever had your thyroid checked? One of my friends had a similar problem and it turned out that she had an under active thyroid. I’m definitely not saying that you have this but it was just a thought. It might be good also just to see the benefits of the fast on your blood pressure and cholesterol to keep you motivated 🙂

Yeah I was just wondering about the thyroid as well. It may be that that’s what’s causing this very, very frustrating problem (because I can completely understand that it IS extremely frustrating!!!)

I would suggest keeping it up with the lowered TDEE for a while longer. And again, see a doctor – because your parents are proof that it should work, and you’re doing the same thing as them so there must be another explanation…

Oh and I think you should reply to BooBoo about those raspberry ketones, wasn’t me there 😉

Hi Kharis,
    I wouldn’t get too concerned about your measurements seeming to go up because you might not have measured totally accurately the first time – I know I have a habit of rounding the figure down to the nearest inch!
    I definitely think you should keep going at the lower TDEE for a while – I know it’s a pain to count calories every day but you would only have to do that for a while until you got used to cutting portions and making better choices. I have a really sweet tooth and my husband bought buns last week but when I checked they were over 200 cals each so I had 2 Jaffa Cakes instead which came in around 90 cals for 2. I was still getting the sugar hit but felt virtuous at the same time!
    I know you’re making jewellery all day but could you fit a 10 minute break into your day to go for a short walk – weather permitting! I know the most successful losers (weight-wise!!) on here introduce a bit of exercise with the diet. Keep us posted 🙂

I am 64 and have been 5:2ing since January 2013. It took a while to notice reduction but then the inches fell away. So far 2″ off bust and hips and over 5″ off waist. Last time I weighed I had lost a stone (July). The main advantage of 5:2 has been in my head and how I feel generally. I think too much emphasis is put on weight and people tend to weigh too often. I know I have not lost any more weight but if I was to step on the scales it would depress me!!!! If I do not weigh myself, I stay positive. I do however use the tape measure a lot!!!! I seem to be static at the moment which has been a bit of a downer, but am upping excercise by going swimmimg. Although a bit fed up with lack of inch loss, at least no more is going on. I also still feel amazing compared to pre new life!!!

for me, I have been more successful when I have added another “fast day”. So I switched to a 4:3 as opposed to 5:2, this allowed me to not have to be so strict on my non-fasting days, as the whole point for me is that I don’t want to feel like I am dieting for the rest of my life.

anyway that kicked it in, though still slower than the average, I do lose between a half pound and a pound a week.

I also keep track of only my low weights, as well as my daily weights. the graph with the low weights has a nice slight slope downward, the daily weights shows a crazy roller coaster on its way down as well.

My measurements don’t seem to have changed much but other things are happening, basically everything is getting longer, (pants, skirts, and sleeves on jackets) things that require more all over loss as opposed to just an inch in the waist or whatever.

Stick with it, but know that throwing in an extra day may help.

p.s. as far as your parents, maybe you can tell yourself that they were doing worse diet wise before they started so the change was more dramatic?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply.