Week 1 – weight loss and well-being.

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
Week 1 – weight loss and well-being.

This topic contains 21 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Bryn123 9 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

• Hi Everybody. So, this is my first post on the forum, but I’ve been secretly trawling through the rest over the past couple of weeks! Your success stories and glowing reviews have been a real incentive to give this a go.

I started my new lifestyle 1 week ago, and have experienced 3 fast days so far. The first day was hard, and I think this may be because I tried to stretch my 500 calories too far across the day (I’m a grazer by nature). I had a banana for breakfast…. then I just wanted more! It didn’t fill me up, didn’t make me feel satisfied, and made me really hungry by early afternoon!

The next 2 fast days were a breeze. I finished my last meal at about 7pm the day before, then drank only black decaf coffee, peppermint tea and water until ‘breaking my fast’ with a healthy evening meal at around 6pm. I felt hungry at times, but never to the point where I felt like I just HAD to eat something.
    I also left myself just enough calories for a 9pm pre-bedtime drink of warm milk – I find this really knocked any niggling hunger gremlins on the head so I could get a good nights sleep!

I allowed myself a weight-in session this morning, and was thrilled to find that I had dropped 6.2lb! I know that a fair chunk of this will be water weight, but it’s still a really good motivational figure to see! I can already feel that my clothes are looser, which is a great boost to me.

My next weigh in will be in 3 weeks time. I have a habit of weighing myself each week, then getting defeated when I put on a couple of pounds at ‘certain times of the month’. So I’m hiding the scales until next month!

I understand how easy it could be to treat ‘non-fast’ days as an excuse to go crazy, but so far I’m being pretty sensible. I track my calories on My Fitness Pal, and find that planning my meals in advance helps me to stay focused. I set my calorie allowance under my TDEE, therefore allowing myself a little bit of leeway if I do get offered an extra biscuit at work!

What’s important to understand is that this diet is a lifestyle change, not a temporary quick fix, and therefore you should adapt it and work it to fit your own personal circumstances. The fast days should be rigidly adhered to as much as possible, and the non-fast days should see you eating a sensible yet flexible diet.
    I’m having a meal out with my friend tomorrow night, and I’m going to enjoy it! If I want a pudding, I’m going to have a pudding (if I can fit it in!).

I’ve only been following the plan for a week, and already I am reaping the benefits. I feel calmer, more refreshed and with a positive outlook. I am also developing a much healthier relationship with food in general.

I look forward to my yummy breakfast the day after a fast, and I really savour each bite. And that’s the beauty of this plan – however hungry you feel towards the end of a fast day, you know that it’s just for one day, then you can have whatever you like (within moderation) the very next day.

Knowing that I can survive without constantly grazing has been a revelation! I’ve been mindlessly eating without stopping to consider my hunger levels, and now I feel like I’m back in control. My food consumption on non-fast days has naturally decreased, and I find myself really enjoying my meals rather than simply troughing them down!

I know there will be ups and downs, and life may sometimes get in the way of fast days on occasion, but I feel confident and positive about this way of eating. I look forward to posting an update after my weigh in next month!

A very factual post of how I imagine it really is doing 5:2. Also new to this I am finding it easier as time goes on to say ‘No’ as quite often I’m not hungry and was tempted to eat just because food was put in front of me. Shall weigh once a week, but more interested in the monthly weight as that is more indicative of how I’m really getting on. With this extremely cold weather I’m just keeping within TDEE rather than reducing to 500 cals a day, but I see it’s getting warmer towards the weekend so plan to do a fast day on Friday or Saturday.

Thanks for the reply Galexinda.

I must admit, I do feel the cold a little more on my fasting days! (A common problem I believe…) But I make up for this by upping my hot drink intake and sitting at my desk with a microwaved wheat bag!

I’d love to weigh once a week, but I know that my weight has a habit of fluctuating from one day to the next at certain times of the month. I might find myself a little disheartened if the weight suddenly shoots up without warning!

Best of luck to you on your new healthier lifestyle!

I use My Fitness Pal too to track calories just to get an idea how many i eat on feast days. Pleasantly surprised that most days i’m well below 2000. So meals out or spoilng myself aside (which lets face it isn’t every day) i should be able to stick to this ok and hopefully lose some weight!

It amazes me how much the body can do on so few calories.

Yesterday was a fast day for me. I finished eating at 7pm on Sunday night, and drank only black decaf coffee and water throughout Monday daytime.
    I also went for a walk across the Humber Bridge and back, a total distance of 4.2 miles covered at a reasonable pace (took me 1 hour 12 minutes in total).

I then had to rush straight to a meeting that evening, without having time for tea, and officially broke my fast at 10pm.
    I felt a little hungry at certain points during the day (especially when eyeing up my sister’s massive birthday cake!), but at no point did I feel faint or shaky or unable to carry on.
    In fact, I felt energised!

My body has adapted so quickly to this new regime. The very first fast day I did resulted in a bout of the shakes in the early evening, followed by a stinking headache the morning after.

I’m still in the very early stages of this new way of life, but I feel really positive.

And I’m still not going to weigh myself again until 6th February!

I think it helps to keep busy, i’ve found that my fast days are much easier at work. I’ve done a couple on days off and its much harder, with the kitchen right there!

Well I have just weighed in after a week on the eating plan and have lost a massive 7lbs!
    Am thrilled with this.
    Doing my two fasting days together on Thursday and Friday. Also working night shift, so really pleased with this as I usuall put weight on!

Well done Sherrieah! A significant weight loss on your first weigh in is always a great confidence booster (even if a proportion of it is water weight – it’s still 7lbs gone!)

Are you planning on weighing every week or will you be brave and not step on the scales for a while?

NancyDrew – Always best to keep busy on a fast day! Mine are both on work days now, but I did have one on a Sunday – little bit annoying when me and my friend went for a walk, stopped off at a lovely cafe, and I couldn’t eat cake!

I would like to say I would wait longer than a week to get weighed, but I know I won’t!
    Happy to lose 2lbs a week, as I have a lot to lose so will be very happy if I achieve that next week.

Well done Sherrieah!
    I plan to do weigh ins every 2 weeks.
    Yeah Clickbeetle85, its def easier at work. I’m off next week so gonna have to plan my fast days carefully and not on days out!

Thought it was about time for an update! So it’s almost 4 weeks since my first fasting day and I’m still loving this way of living.

I’ve been very restrained and have managed to stick to my ‘no scales until February’ plan (I weighed myself after the first week to give myself a boost)! I’m due to have my second weigh-in on Friday and I’m feeling pretty confident.

I’ve had a few revelations/ noticed positive changes over the past week.

1. I have one pair of jeans that I can comfortably wear without feeling too squeezed – they’re now getting really baggy round the bum and I’m having to pull my belt really tight to keep them from falling down!

2. I took my bra off a few days ago and realised that there were no ugly red strap marks on my shoulders!

3. I went food shopping at the end of a fast day, having eaten nothing all day, and stuck to my list. No cakes, no biscuits, no mini eggs! My biggest indulgence was a box of chocolate tea!

4. I finished drying my hair yesterday, went to put my face powder on, and realised that I hadn’t applied any moisturiser. A month ago I needed to apply moisturiser within 2 minutes of washing my face otherwise it would be painful, dry and cracking.

This last point is obviously a by-product of good eating and massively increased fluid intake. My skin is much clearer and smoother – a bonus of this eating plan!

I’m really looking forward to the weigh-in on Friday, but even if there are no changes, I know my body is changing.

Well done Clickbeetle…some fantastic Non-Scales-Victories there!

Shopping on a fast day is a toughie! So many temptations! I take pride in the fact that I can do a home-baked loaf on a fast day…and not tear off the warm crust and slather it with butter!

How have you found the chocolate tea? I have tried a couple of varieties….and for Christmas I was given some Hotel Chocolat Cocoa Nib Infusion….zero calorie and zero fat but it really DOES have a chocolatey ‘hit’ to it!

Good luck with the weigh in at the end of the week!

Oooo freshly baked bread! I’m not sure I could resist! I try to limit my bread baking, as I struggle to restrain myself when those hot buns come out of the oven!

Shopping on an empty stomach during previous ‘dieting episodes’ was always a recipe for disaster. But for some reason I just didn’t feel that overwhelming pull towards naughty things this time round! A great little victory, and it just goes to show that this way of eating helps to retrain your attitude towards food.

The chocolate tea is very nice, but more vanilla-y rather than chocolate. I’ve heard good things about the Hotel Chocolat tea, so I may have to treat myself to some when I’m in London next week.

So…. my weigh-in was this morning. I’m proud of myself for resisting the urge to weigh myself weekly!

I’ve lost just over 5lb, bringing my total weight loss since 5th January to 11.4lbs!

I’m thrilled! And it means I’m back to the weight I was at the beginning of 2014. So now the hard work begins…..

I’ve got another 3lbs to lose to bring me back to the lowest weight I’ve ever recorded during 2-3 years of using MyFitnessPal – I fully intend to lose that by the time of my next weigh in (10th March).

My BMI is within the normal range, so I understand that weight-loss may now become a little more challenging as I edge towards my goal, but I’m determined to succeed.
    This way of eating has revolutionised the way I think and feel about food. I love it!

Currently breaking my fast with a delicious bowl of Graze Rocky Road Granola. Yum!

That’s a great result Clickbeetle! I love your idea of only weighing once a month…I wish I could keep off the scales for that long. Once a week is a struggle for me but you are so right..one little pound gain can really demotivate me. I’ve just completed 2nd week of 5:2 and lost 4 lb which I’m thrilled with. But 3lbs were lost in first week and because it was only 1 in second I was slightly disappointed…but if I had skipped the first weigh in and seen 4lb after 2 weeks there would have been no such disappointment!! There is so much psychology in weight loss!!!!!
    I also use MyFitnessPal, I find it good for making sure I stay under TDEE.

Thanks Pag!

I know I wouldn’t be able to keep going if I weighed once a week! This has always been my downfall in the past; I know full well that my weight naturally fluctuates throughout the month, but it still puts me on a bit of a downer if I gain a pound or 2…..

You’re right about the psychological aspect of weight loss. A huge chunk of the problem is in the mind, and that’s why I think a lot of people struggle. If it were as simple as ‘eat less, move more’ none of us would be using this forum!

Well done on your 4lb weight loss! That’s absolutely spot on for 2 weeks down the line – why not try holding off on your next weigh in for an extra week? Go on… give it a go! 😉

OK…..I’ll have to ask my husband to hide the scales though…it’s become a daily habit!!

Bleurgh!

Just had a couple of days away in London with a friend.
    I didn’t calorie count and was determined to enjoy a guilt free break!

We did an awful lot of walking, and certainly didn’t go mad with eating, but I’m still feeling the effects.
    I had cake, chocolate, pizza, cheese and wine. My enjoyment of the food I ate was only temporary, and my body is now screaming out for a break!

I feel queasy, bloated, painful and unhealthy. It’s shocking how much 3 days of indulgence can affect me so badly! I used to eat that way all the time and not give it a second thought…..

I’m really looking forward to my fasting day tomorrow. I’m doing 4:3 this week in an effort to make up for the weekend!

Right, time for sleep now. I just hope I feel better in the morning……

Well, yesterday was a tough fasting day after my weekend of indulgence…. I did it, I stuck to under 500 calories, but it was difficult.

Today was going well, but I’ve just had a mad ‘post-lunch’ snack attack! I ate my lunch, then spotted a packet of Ginger Nuts on top of the fridge (I’m at work). I snaffled down four of those, followed by a Mars Bar! Oh dear…

I think the problem is that I decided to have a sandwich for lunch today. I usually have something hot and substantial, but because I’ll be eating pancakes for tea, I wanted to make sure I was good during the day – that’s out the window!

I’m tracking everything on MyFitnessPal, and I will be over my calorie allowance by the end of the day.

Thank goodness I’m doing 4:3 this week…..

I’m starting the plan tomorrow, planning on 4:3 as have 3 1/2 stone to loose…anyone else doing this? Is there a significant difference to 5:2

Been doing it for just a week, today is my third fasting day and my first weigh-in. Pleased to find I have lost 4 pounds! Waist measurement is frustratingly unchanged though.

From the start I decided to eat nothing until my evening meal. Easier to prepare one 600 calorie meal than trying to eke them out over breakfast and dinner. Also it means I’m actually fasting for 24 hours or so, which has to be better.
    Finding it to be relatively easy to do; few cups of fruit tea and plenty of water during the day. Much easier to do at work when busy, than at home with food around, so I’m fasting Monday / Thursday.

Seems that I can exercise on fast days without any problem, so I’ll continue with cycling in the evenings when weather permits.

I think the harder part is trying to be good on non fasting days. Still, I’m pleased with losing 4 pounds in the first week. Probably would’ve been more had it not been for the box of Lindt chocolates my wife bought me for valentine’s day!

Hi click beetle. Im in same boat as you im 31 female weigh 170 pounds. I would love so much to get into the 10 stones. I have done this diet since xmas lost about half a stone need to get bk onit now. Went to london 2 weeks ago find it hard to get back Into. Im going to start back fresh sunday. Got a wedding in Greece in september would love to shed 2 stone. All the best with your weight loss hun and take no notice if your works colleagues as long as your happy doing the diet.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply.