Three weeks in, one pound down. Good or bad?

This topic contains 10 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Nika 10 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

• Hello Everyone

I’ve been on the 5:2 diet for three weeks and I’ve lost 400 grams (one pound).
    I feel a little disappointed as I was hoping to lose a little more.
    My clothes don’t feel any baggier, so, the scales are probably accurate.

Is it normal to lose so little?

On the diet day, I broadly divide my 500 calories in: 150 for breakfast, 150 for lunch and 200 for dinner. I’d like to split them over two meals a day, as longer fasting times seem better, but because I suffer with chronic headaches/migraines, if I go without food for too long, it can trigger an attack. I drink plenty of water.

I don’t over-compensate on the non-diet days, as to be honest, I don’t have much of an appetite, generally. I’m simply trying to lose the 10kg I gained in pregnancy four years ago, that I’ve been unable to shift.

Do you think it’s normal for weight loss to be slow at the beginning? I would be perfectly happy to lose 1kg per month, but if I continue this way, it will take me almost 2 years to lose 10 kilos… Any advice?

Hi Martina,
    Welcome to the forum.

Dont despair, a pound is a pound, it’s got to be good. Give it time and see how it goes everyone is different. Try to keep to protein on Fast Days and off the carbs. I find having homemade soups on non Fast Days at lunch time always gives a boost. I keep off biscuits, chocolate and cakes always my nightmare, not really had much in the last 5 months. I also cut down on potatoes and bread.
    Good luck and keep trying.

Thank you, Symba for your advice and support.

I tend to eat more protein, anyway. I am also an IBS sufferer, and protein works better for me than carbs. I can’t have too many vegs or fibre though, as it triggers my IBS, so that is not great as these can help you feel fuller for longer, in diet terms.
    I have a couple of biscuits with my afternoon tea on non-diet days. The thought of giving those up makes me cry 🙁

One thing that would probably help is to exercise more regularly, but it’s difficult to fit that in if you’re a working mum, or by looking at the website they even suggest trying the diet 4:3.

I guess I can experiment with one of the above and see which yields better results?

You’re a pound lighter than you were three weeks ago so it has to be good! Ok, it’s only a bit but it’s in the right direction. I’ve only just joined this forum so can’t offer any advice other than to offer my support. Keep going…hopefully you’ll see a bigger loss over the next three weeks.

I, myself tried the 4.3 and found it too difficult for me to continue long term.

The 5.2 is quite easy to fit in with your life style and we ( hubby) are going to continue until the plateau tells us “we are there” then we will just continue with the plan, to keep us with the weight off.

If you can manage a small amount of excercise I think it would help. How about trying to do some on your lunch break a quick 30 mins walk somewhere 3 times a week.. I used to do this when I was working. It’s so difficult when you have children and a family to look after. I am lucky I am retired and hubby has joined me, so we support each other at home. This forum has lots of support and we all help each other, we get the ups and downs on people’s life and why sometimes 5.2 doesn’t go so good.

Give it a month, keep trying I am sure the weight will come off. Remember to measure yourself monthly you might be surprised.

Thank you Symba and Suzy.
    I think that trying with the exercise first is a good idea.
    I will go for that and report in a few weeks 🙂

Hi Martina,
    I suggest that you find out what your TDEE is now at your current weight and then track calories for a week, as suggested by Micheal Mosley in the FAQ’s.

I was rather shocked to discover that I was eating high calorie foods. Once I made different choices, the weight started to move.

I am a massive advocate of measuring bust, waist, hips, thighs and calves every week when I weigh, followed by trying on clothes.

Although you say that your clothes don’t feel any looser, you may have lost inches from somewhere that you are not measuring!One week I lost no weight, but an inch off my calves!

Thank you, Annette. I have followed your advice and it looks like my TDEE is 1541 calories, not the 2000 I thought should be, good to know! I don’t think I ever reached the 2000 before, but I was probably consuming more than 1500 calories on non-diet days.

I will take my measurements when I next weigh myself, it makes perfect sense what you suggest. Thank you. Will keep you posted on progress.

hi martina,

I am glad that you have found that helpful. It is incredibly easy to consume more calories than you think, especially if you drink alcohol as well.

Just bear in mind that you will hit a plateau at some point, but don’t panic.I didn’t lose any weight one month, but lost 7 inches!!!!!!!

Hi Everyone,
    I’ve never been interested in jumping on and off the scales, as long as my clothes fitted the same, I felt there was no need. Since starting this way of eating (3 weeks ago) I am purposely getting on/off the scales at different times of the day as I’m curious about how it all works for me. I have been surprised to find that I weigh less around lunchtime. For e.g. at 9am this morning I weighed 4 pounds heavier than I did at 2pm. I always believed that you should weigh yourself first thing in the morning, without clothes and before you eat or drink anything. Since starting the 5:2 and I have taken advice re cutting down on carbs on the non-fast days, and I have lost 9lbs already my body is leaner and my clothes fit better. My bmi was always in the normal range anyway, but I had put over a stone on since the beginning of the year and needed to get it off. I will still need to find out how to maintain my goal weight shortly. Any thoughts on the weight fluctuation during the day ??

I have no idea, Defender. Maybe you always use the loo before lunch. Does this only occur on fast days, or also when you eat breakfast?

Oh well, I’ll stick to weighing in the mornings, it’s routine now anyway 😛

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply.