The scales have got to GO!

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
The scales have got to GO!

This topic contains 14 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  TracyJ 10 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

• Have completed 3 weeks of 5:2, after the first 2 weeks had lost 1kg, since then I’ve crept back to original weight. I only have 4kg to lose so I know it’s only natural it will take longer than those who have more to lose, but it’s still disheartening. I have made the mistake of weighing myself everyday (silly I know) and have now out the scales in the loft. Perhaps a monthly weigh in is best.

I also find I have a little binge on junk the eve before a fast day, guess I think it will somehow give me extra power to get through it – it doesn’t and I end up feeling guilty. I think it’s tough to get out of the mindset that it is a way of life, you CAN have all those things on your non-fast days, you will not be deprived!! Feeling good today and eating normally with no intention of bingeing on Sunday (day before fast)!

Anyone else find they do this?

Hiya massive. I’m sure a lot of people do it (I may have in the beginning, I can’t remember). Just FYI though, it really doesn’t help and in fact I think it hinders your fastday if you overeat the night before. The times when I have gone out and had a massive meal the night before a fast I’ve noticed that my digestive system seems to be ready for more of the same the next day (having been overworked the night before) and it makes the ‘hunger’ pangs worse. I wouldn’t recommend ‘loading up’ the night efore a fast to anyone.

Don’t fret about the scales, you’re doing the right thing locking them away. You’ll feel much calmer and less pressured without constantly ‘marking’ yourself and it’ll give you a chance to just get into it as a lifestyle and find what works for you longterm rather than what will shift a few more grams in the next 24 hours.

Keep on truckin’

Thanks TracyJ, good advice and totally makes sense re your tummys expectations the day after a binge!

I love Tracy’s advise – she is always bang on the nail. Thank you 🙂
    Forget the last few weeks massive – look upon that as a practice and now you know how it feels get on and do it right.
    Weight loss might not be as spectacular as someone with more to lose but think of all the other benefits to fasting and go by how your clothes feel.
    🙂

Note to self Tracy: Take your own flamin’ advice from now on. I may have slightly over indulged on the sweet stuff yesterday & boy am I feeling it today (fastday). Oh well, at least I know it’s just self inflicted torture and I’m not really about to die of starvation (as my stomach/head would have me believe). Lots of water and a good long swim tonight before dinner and I’ll be back on track. 😉

Do as I tell ya, not as I do eh!

I’m going to start this as well – I obsess over the number on the scale! I know with my new exercises, my weight is going to fluctuate and I don’t want to discourage myself. We’ll see how much I weigh on April 1st!

I also just realized that’s April Fool’s day.
    Hopefully the scale doesn’t do anything tricky. 😛

I’m having a similar problem! I want to loose half a stone as am 5ft3 and 8 and 1/2 at the moment. I lost one measly pound in the first week and two weeks later nothing more! Does it just take longer if you have less to loose? It’s been getting me down a bit…

I have stupidly weighing myself each day. I have been very slow with the weight loss having lost 4.5kg in 8 weeks. I’m happy with that overall but looking at the scles every day kills me. I only want to lose another 3 to 4kg. I’m putting the scales away today.
    I am going between 4:3 and 5:2. If I stuff up the first 4:3 day I will end up doing a 5:2. Not sure if that’s a good idea but it’s ok for me. Need to get back into the right frame of mind.
    “Onwards and downwards” as I have read in other posts. Great saying.
    Hope you all have a good fasting week. I intend to.
    Mel

Hi All, if it’s any help I weigh each month at GP’s surgery with the nurse. Never use scales at home cos once I do will never be off them. The time passes so quickly anyway, so the month flies by. Only losing 1 – 2 lbs per month now, but that’s fine. Didn’t put it all on in a few months did I?! Happy fasting everyone.

Hi smarte and cheska, it sounds like you guys are actually doing really well! I am 6 weeks I and have only lost 1.5kg (only want to lose 4kg in total). I think the less you have to lose the longer it takes as your body is less willing to let go of it the closer you get to your ideal weight.

My advice is to definitely get rid of the scales and perhaps a monthly weigh in, I was weighing every few days and it actually demotivated me. As it is a way of life you I’ve found I now don’t feel the need to weigh myself because I’m in it for the long haul and eventually the weight loss will come. I think Stefs story (search on the forum) is inspiring for those who don’t have lots to lose. Good luck!

I was getting obsessed with the scale and I go up and down. It’s definitely a downward trend, but yes, it goes up and down and the ups can be discouraging.
    But!
    I’ve personally noticed that I am losing inches much faster than any other “diet” I’ve ever done and people are noticing my weight loss even at only 7lbs down. In the past, no one ever starts to comment until I get near 20lbs. People keep asking me how much I’ve lost and they’re shocked when I’m just like, “I don’t know, 5 or 7 pounds….”
    So I am paying less attention to the scale and more to my measurements.

I look at intermittent fasting as a yearly occurrence. So I won’t be on the scales like I was last year my first year. I believe I was just making sure it was working. From this year forward I’ll have enough confidence knowing that it works, and I won’t need a scale because my clothing size will reveal success. I have a friend I visit that keeps good scale in his restroom. I hop on it and clean my ears with his cotton swabs which I would do everyday if I kept them out at my home.
    My favorite Part about the intermittent fasting in 2013 was a turning point when I realized I was getting so few calories from 4:3 that it was very freaking easy to focus on two Heath food for the remaing week days. I no longer felt addicted to unhealthy foods yet my obsession with my scale was still active.
    So it’s been 1 full year I’m down 30lbs after 4 months off fasting or any dieting at all. I’ve had to buy new clothes. So yea I’m going scaleless 2014.

Hi everybody, I have kept a daily weight record for the last 3 years and it’s hard. I can see weeks where the average goes up or like now a plateau which fluctuates up down. Yes I have often thought to dump the scales but it’s become a routine, I weigh then record on a spread sheet. Then I can do some analysis check the trend line, some have commented that this is now obsessive behaviour and maybe they’re right but it has enabled me to control my weight, I’m 20kg below my 2010 max of 101kg and only want to lose maybe another 5kg to be a happy weight. The next thing is to nudge the weight down just a little.
    So my advice is to weigh just once a week unless your happy to look at some difficult data.

try and change your routine thomas-only weigh in every week-a weigh in does not work if it has emoltional factors and a daily weigh in will always have emotional issues

OMG – if I was weighing myself every day I’m sure I’d have thrown myself out of a window long ago. WHY would you do that to yourself?

This is NOT a ‘quick fix’ this is your new and ‘forever’ lifestyle change, as long as the trend is continually down (until you reach your goal weight – and I do mean your ‘reasonable goal weight’ not what some faceless statistical boffin decided to put on a chart once), then who cares how long it takes. As Toms said earlier – you don’t put weight on overnight so why on earth would you expect to lose it that quickly.

1-2lb per week is AMAZING loss for anyone on this lifestyle. 0-1lb per week is also totally fine. I’m averaging 1-2lb per month at the moment, after 18 months on this lifestyle and 1.5 stones from my goal (which is comfortably close to but not actually on my ‘ideal’ weight). I’ve lost over 3.5 stone on this lifestyle. I never in my wildest dreams expected to be in this position and I’m grateful for every lost lb because it’s a lost lb I would never have achieved on any other course.

This is a marathon, not a sprint. If you’re not in it as much for the other health benefits and the improved relationship to food as you are for the weight loss then maybe you’re in the wrong place.

Good luck everyone & please try to break your dependance on your scales – they are the devil.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply.