The dreaded plateau :(

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
The dreaded plateau :(

This topic contains 56 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  Roslarr 8 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 57 total)

• Hi everyone,

I’m 5ft 10, female, 12st 4lbs and want to lose another 1st 4lbs.

I’m on week 15 of this way of eating now and am on my second plateau. My first lasted for 3 weeks and my second has lasted for 5 weeks.

I have lost 10lbs in 14 weeks, but the most frustrating thing is that I’ve been doing 4:3 since week 2 and never go past my TDEE on feast days – however I do eat what I want at weekends (within reason).

I exercise 3 times a week at the gym for 45mins – 1hour and so to not see the scales budge when I’m so strict 5 days out of 7 is so frustrating!

I’ve tried doing 16:8 one week – no difference, 16:8 with 5:2 the next – no difference, low carb the next – no difference. I’m out of ideas. My body is the kind that puts on weight VERY easily, so I think if I went back to standard 5:2 I would definitely gain.

I really like this plan, so I wish I could be singing its praises, but finding that difficult at the moment. Especially hearing about other people who have lost 3 stone in 15 weeks or even just 1lb following 5:2 (which I believe is the average).

WHAT I WOULD GIVE TO LOSE 1lb A WEEK ON 5:2. It doesn’t seem fair ey?

Any advice I would definitely welcome… Thanks!

I’m sorry you’re experiencing a plateau. I am, too…..I lost 3 stone in a year and need to lose a further 3 stone. However I have plateaued since las August and – although I’m keeping at my new weight, I am wondering why I’m not losing as much as I would like. If I am truthful, I do still have the awful sugar/carbs cravings and think I am increasing intake of those on my non-fasting days. I’m very disappointed in myself as my husband has reached is goal and is maintaining it. This isn’t helping you, I know, but perhaps a fellow frustrated 5:2 posting might let you know you’re not alone….good luck. It is still worth sticking to it….I do know that!

Thank you @lionwillow!

Glad I’m not alone 🙂

Rosiarr-
    Sorry to ‘spy’ but I saw your post and clicked to view it and wanted to see if I could help…
    Have you redone your TDEE since your weight loss of 10 lbs? You may need to change your calories a bit on your NFD. Also what are you doing for your exercise? All cardio or weights or both?
    I have had a little success in the pst when I have UPPED my carbs actually 😉

Hi spressogirl85

Yeah, I re-calculate my TDEE everytime I lose even 1lb haha.

I do cardio and a tiny bit of muscle work – but it shouldn’t be enough to make me plateau for so long.

May I should take measurements.

Upping carbs sounds good! Book I’m scared – I would hate to gain 🙁

upping the carbs— It can’t hurt! As long as your calories are around the same, you should give it a go!
    Also perhaps doing more weight training, but not heavy just without a lot of rest so it feels very difficult and your heart rate is up for a long while- incorporating sprints instead of steady cardio helps your metabolism. 20 minutes on the treadmill @ 1 minute jog and 1 min run 1 min sprint and 1 min walk times 5 = 20 minutes and you will feel way more worked than a 5 mile run 🙂

change your focus to more muscle work- meaning half of your workout. 30-40 minutes strength with little rest, and 20-30 of either sprints or steady state cardio. Do the sprints 3 times a week, and only steady state cardio 2 times. You can run or if you don’t/can’t use that, you can use an elliptical or stair master

Thanks!

I do 2 min walk and 2 min run for 30 mins normally followed by 10mins bike and 40 leg presses.

I should also mention that I absolutely hate exercising and would much rather not do it aha. So I don’t think I could do that much :/

I have nothing helpful to add but just sympathy and empathy. I have been stuck on a plateau for weeks now. Up a little, down a little but not moving at all. I hate excercising too but I don’t mind walking . It’s all a bit disheartening but I am hanging on in hope. Good luck to you!

I don’t know if this will help you, but since the fast diet has been so successful for me, I wanted to share my way of eating.

I started with 5:2 but quickly switched to 4:3 with the fast beach diet. Only good veggie carbs, very little fruit, lots of protein and good fats. (It might help you to read these blogs http://www.intensive dietarymanagement.com).
    For exercise, I QUIT the gym, and only do 3 hit workouts a week, and 1 or 2 short weight segments. 15 minutes for hit, same for weights. I do them on my fast days.

Do not snack between meals! Go as long as you can. I recently started not eating breakfast like so many do here, and it jump started me.

I started at 176. Weigh in today after 6 weeks…162.6.

Hi i hope this is in the right section,

I am a 66 yrs old male,I started the fast diet late last summer I was 13st and in the next few months I lost
    One stone ,however despite trying I have been unable to lose any more weight since.
    I fast 2 days a week,but I try to have breakfast as late in the morning as possible.a friend of mine who is also on the FD suggested that I shoul have breakfast at normal time I.e 8 am and have dinner around 6pm
    Leaving a bigger gap between meals on the FD days.

Does any one know if this might work ,my ideal Weight woul be 11st. 7 lbs,so not far to go.

Try to delay breakfast as long as possible. The longer period of time between dinner and your first meal of the day, the better. I aim for 16 hours every day. I don’t always make it but most days I do. Your body can’t burn fat if it has food to burn!

Also watch your carbs and sugars. Especially when we get older (I am a 53 year old female…try doing this being menopausal! Even more fun!), processed carbs like breads and pasta, go straight tot the belly and hips! And sugar is lurking around every corner!

I also allow myself one single wonderful feast day a week, right after my weekly weigh in. I fast 3 days, eat good normal 3, and feast one. So far, down 15 lbs in 7 weeks.

Hi Loiner and welcome:

The answer to your problem is simple – you have to eat less. As you lose weight, your TDEE goes down. If you continue to eat as you did at the start of the diet, eventually your weight loss slows and maybe even stops as your food intake, even with your diet days, starts matching your TDEE. There is no need to worry about time between meals, as that has been clinically proven to be irrelevant for weight loss purposes. All dieters burn fat if they eat less than their TDEE, even if they eat six times a day! https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/52-calorie-restriction-v-fasting-for-newbies/

Good Luck!

I could post links saying the opposite, and I am sure others could recommend yet something else. It is all what works for you. I was relating what has jump started my weight loss. 17 lbs in 8 weeks. No more plateaus.

Hi fitnfast:

Here is the Varady study that proved weight loss was the same whether eating only one meal a day or eating several: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25251676

I would be very interested in the study(ies) you rely on to prove a different conclusion. Please do post the links to those studies as I am always interested in more recent research!

Thanks!

Thanks for the reminder. I think I finally hopped off the plateau. It would be cool if there was a magic formula that could make it all work faster but the simple, boring and unwelcome truth is I lose weight when I eat less. Proved it again.

How about whole books (by the way, 16:8, 19:5, 20:4 are all forms of intermittent fasting. Isn’t that what we are all doing? You act like your way is the only way. There are a lot of people here who combine 5:2 with these eating Windows. It works for us, your way works for you. That’s great for all of us!)

http://Www.leangains.com (16:8)
    The Warrior diet (20.4)
    Fast 5 diet (FREE pdf) (19:5)

http://Www.intensivedietarymanagement.com (read all the blogs from Dr. Jason Fung. He explains how insulin drives obesity and weight gain, and how what you eat and when you eat affects insulin levels.

Also, didn’t Mosley recommend that it is better to eat only one meal on your fast day if possible? Mimi ate 2 , with just an Apple for a snack. Why? To keep insulin level as low as possible.

When your body has a constant source of calorie intake, it won’t use the stored fat. Why would it have to?

Just my thoughts. You do what works for you.

Hi there
    I’ve been on the 5:2 diet since beginning of February on and off, and have lost a few pounds, but for the last 3 weeks I have really been sticking to it, religiously couting calories and sticking to my 500 on my 2 diet days (quite often don’t eat all of them, generally comes in around 450 – 480) with no problems at all. However, I have not lost a single pound (and I exercised a couple of times too!)
    I did the diet last year and it worked very well for me, so I’m not sure why it’s not going so well this time.
    Can anyone tell me if the diet can be affected by not eating enough on the non diet days? I tend to eat quite healthily just as a habit on non diet days, and have calculated my TDEE and it’s about 1840, but I would say I don’t eat that on the majority of my non diet days (Saturdays are an exception, I do feast then!).
    I feel much better seeing that plateauing seems to be a common problem, but I am just looking for ways to try and kick the weight loss off again – I don’t want to return to dieting every day, especially when I know this method should work, and did last year!
    Any feedback would be appreciated.

Hi fitnfast:

I’ve read all of the ‘books’ you have mentioned (and many, many more) and have been letting people know about Dr. Fung’s excellent results for years. Dr. M ate breakfast and dinner, but agrees any number of times work (supporting the research I mentioned). None of the informational sources you mentioned have any research that says if you eat less than your TDEE in calories in a certain eating window, you will lose more weight than if you eat the same number of calories in a different eating window. If you look at your examples, you mention at least three different eating window timeframes – but you don’t say which one causes the greatest weight loss. I just contend that another ‘eating window’ is from when you get up to when you go to bed. I also contend, in line with the solid research literature, it does not make any difference which eating window you choose – you will get the same weight loss results regardless as long as you eat the same number of calories in the windows.

Many people use eating windows as a form of self discipline. They find if they make (and follow) the decision to only eat in a certain number of hours each day they will not snack as much as they might otherwise and it therefor helps them to eat less, or otherwise stick to their diet’s allotted number of calories. There is certainly nothing wrong with doing what it takes to eat less and lose weight or maintain weight loss, but it still is the number of calories you eat, not when you eat them, that matters.

I don’t know how to address your contention that a person eating fewer calories than their TDEE over time will not burn fat unless they eat those calories in short eating windows. That would mean millions of people on non eating window diets would not lose fat weight – but they all do, unless you contend their weight loss is muscle and bone weight only. I’m sure you are not saying that!

I believe you might be confusing weight loss results with ‘other health benefits’ that some believe will result if a person ‘fasts’ for a length of time measured in hours (there is solid research that fasting for several days is very beneficial). However, there is no evidence at this time that ‘other health benefits’ will result from fasting a certain number of hours a day, but not from fasting other numbers of hours (say, from bedtime to when you get up in the morning). I have absolutely no opinion on whether there are any such benefits from a few hours of fasting, but if you believe there are and want to try to benefit if there are, go for it! Fasting for a couple of extra hours a day certainly won’t hurt you.

I also believe you might be confusing ‘burning fat’ in the weight loss sense, with ketosis, which is the state a body gets to if it has not ingested carbohydrates for a period of time. A body can get into ketosis either by water fasting or eating a ketogenic diet (very few carbs). It generally takes a body two or more days of water fasting or eating a ketogenic diet to get into a complete ketogenic state. There is much scientific evidence that putting a body into a ketogenic state is very healthy and helpful with many ailments, from epilepsy to diabetes to cancer. Dr. Fung is using the concept to reverse Type 2 diabetes, and Dr. Atkins over a decade ago reported ‘curing’ thousands of Type 2 diabetics with his Atkins diet over the time he ran his clinic. It does work, and it is a shame the modern medical establishment has refused to acknowledge its effectiveness. But, again, a body does not get into ketosis in just a few hours, and even if it starts to within a 20 hour period, the question remains on how much does it help if it only stays there for an hour or two? No one knows.

But when it comes to weight loss, as the research says, it is the number of calories you eat that count, not when you eat them. If you are on a 10,500 calorie a week diet, and your TDEE is 14,000 per week, you will lose about a pound regardless of when you eat your 10,500 calories. My point is that for 5:2 to be effective as a weight loss way of eating, there is no need to eat by a stopwatch. In my opinion, that just adds an unnecessary layer of difficulty to an already difficult endeavor – that of changing how you eat for the rest of your life (not just a couple of months).

But if you want to make 5:2 more difficult than it needs to be, go for it. As you say, whatever works for you! But most people find 5:2 difficult enough without having to keep track of their eating times. And I would hate for them to stop with 5:2 because they can’t deal with eating only during certain time frames each day on top of everything else going on in their lives. If they (as you) want to, fine. But it is unnecessary. 5:2 works just fine regardless of when a person eats. That is my opinion, and I’m sticking to it!

Good Luck!

Simcoeluv, would you like to explain to me, then, why the person who posted above you , who is eating FEWER CALORIES than her TDEE, and EXERCISING MORE, is no longer losing weight??

If you have read Dr. Fungs information, I don’t understand why you don’t believe it.

But, as we both agree, what works for us, works. And on this forum and others we have the unique ability to share ideas and information, so that people can choose a plan or combination of plans that work for them.

Since the title of this post is ” The dreaded plateau”, and we all know how frustrating that is, I wanted to share one of the ways I broke through mine. And you can share yours. And others, theirs. I am not saying that mine is the only way. And ,likewise, yours isn’t, and neither is Mosleys. Not all plans work for 100% of people. Wouldn’t it be amazing if it were that simple!

Thank you for the interesting discussion! Gotta go jump on the June challenge board to post my weekly results..Down 1.6 lbs.

Hi fitnfast:

I once read about a guy who plateaued and bought a thing that allowed him to hang by his feet upside down. His weight loss restarted and he was convinced hanging upside down was the reason.

Short term plateaus are very common and come and go for no apparent reason (there is one, of course, but most don’t know why). If you just keep on the diet you are on, weight loss will resume. People who are impatient and try something different and then have their weight loss resume are convinced it is what they tried, not the diet, that caused the resumption of weight loss and that is why almost everyone who was ever on a diet has their personal sure plateau breaking thing to do, from more exercise to eating windows to hanging upside down.

People all believe what worked for them is the answer for all, but the answer for all is just to continue on the diet they are on. Number 3 in this post gives thoughts on plateaus: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/the-basics-for-newbies-your-questions-answered/

Good Luck!

Hi fitnfast:

Sorry, I missed your basic question: “Simcoeluv, would you like to explain to me, then, why the person who posted above you , who is eating FEWER CALORIES than her TDEE, and EXERCISING MORE, is no longer losing weight??”

Of course, I can’t really know the answer. But there are several possibilities.

First, she may be working from an incorrect TDEE. It may in fact be lower than she thinks it is, so by eating ‘to it’ she is overeating. Second, she may be eating more calories than she thinks she is. If she is estimating, as my plateau post reports, the odds are she is eating up to around 50% more calories than she thinks she is eating. If she is using calorie counting software, she may be using incorrect portion sizes (and the software itself is often 10% or more inaccurate). Third, as has been documented much on this site, exercise often causes a reduction or stoppage of weight loss as the body holds water to repair the muscles damaged by the exercise. And, of course, exercise itself does not contribute much, if anything, to weight loss anyway. I was amused to hear Dr. Lustig say that he thought any doctor that prescribed exercise for weight loss might be considered guilty of malpractice.

The fact is that if a person does 5:2 correctly – two days of 5/600 calories and five eating TDEE or below, they have to lose weight. If they are not losing weight, then either there is a drug/hormonal issue, an exercise issue, or an overeating issue. Weight loss is not rocket science, as much as diet book writers would like you to think otherwise. People are forever trying to make a buck by coming up with another, better (and easier) way to lose weight so they can sell their books. But it is really very simple – you have to eat less. That is the genius of 5:2 – when done correctly you eat less and lose weight, and you can lose weight on 5:2 without any fancy foods, expensive equipment or even a stopwatch!

Good Luck.

Hi Fit and Simcoeluv

great discussion!

The last post threw in the supposition that exercise doesn’t contribute much to weight loss – I may have the wrong end of this particular stick but this has bothered me for a while! Rather fond of the idea, actually as I am a couch potato.

Why then when calculating TDEE is activity a consideration? I am equating activity with exercise. I can imagine activity can mean your job, but walking for your job, ie postman, and walking for exercise is surely the same thing – or am I missing something. Your TDEE is lower – much lower that if you are very active. So if I exercise more, I can eat more and still loose that same as I am losing at the moment, with little exercise.

So if I exercise more next week but keep to the same TDEE as this week, I will lose more – that makes sense to me. It would mean exercise contributes to weight loss. If you can attribute energy and calories to exercise, if you do 500 calories of exercise and forgo the doughnut, won’t I lose a pound of fat if I repeated the exercise 7 times?

I may be sounding thick and I do know that a pound of fat doesn’t actually equal 3500 calories, but that’s a whole different discussion. And I know the type of exercise has an effect – but TDEE doesn’t explore the type of activity either.

Fit, I completely understand what you mean – you way has worked for you – far better to give examples of what works, when people are stuck they need ideas. I’d never heard of 19:5 until I came across this site – just started doing it – incidentally because I thought it would help to stop me snacking.

It is more accurate to say that exercise has a smaller effect on weight loss than diet does. No matter how much you exercise it you don’t control your calorie intake you will not lose fat.

For long term maintenance of body composition exercise can have a larger effect particularly if you increase your muscle mass with resistance exercise. Adding muscle to your body has a modest but significant effect to BMR so you burn more calories at rest and if you are active with NEAT and intense exercise it can make a much larger contribution to TDEE

Exercise has so many other health benefits it is foolish not to make it a part of your life

Hi Diverdog

doesn’t answer my question.

The ‘accepted’ calculation is if i reduce my calorie intake by 3500 calories, I will lose a pound in weight – put aside that the figures for this don’t even add up, this still seems to be the accepted calculation.

If I do ‘activity’ of 3500 calories, would I lose a pound of weight?

Foolish or not – I’ved reached the age of 58 with a lot of years of exercise followed by a lot of years of hardly any. Quite fit with only minor problems – far fewer problems that my best friend, who is super super fit and exercises more than anyone I know. I overeat, would I be thin in I had exercised – ergo would exercised have helped my weight – if so then why has it a smaller effect?

BTW mu best friend is super thin too!

Ok, I think I understand your question: if you reduce your calorie intake 3500 calories or increase your activities to burn 3500 calories while holding other variables the same would you lose the same amount of fat? The answer is yes. But the rub here is its a lot more difficult to burn 3500 extra calories than you think. Its much easier to eat less! LOL The typical calorie counters on gym cardio equipment are wildly optimistic. Most people think that steady state cardio on a treadmill or elliptical is the holy grail of fat burning when in fact they are training their bodies to be more efficient. So the longer you do it the less you have to eat to hold the same weight! Resistance training (weightlifting) done in a circuit fashion with no rest between exercises is a much more efficient way to build a little muscle and set up a hormonal environment to burn fat. HIIT done on a machine that gets more muscles involved like a rower is very effective too. Sprint intervals are awesome as well but they are painful to do! And the workout is over in 20 minutes.

BTW as I go over my training notes and charts looking at how I lost and kept off 70 lbs for 20 years when I stalled or gained weight it was always because my calorie intake increased. It is very easy to consume extra calories.

Hi diverdog

I didn’t doubt you understood my question, but now you have answered it. I didn’t ask which was easier. The answer before was that exercise itself doesn’t contribute much. Your answer is that it contributes equally. So, if my TDEE was 2000 at sedentary – I wish it was – net loss on 5:2 would be 3000 calories roughly a lb a week. For arguments sake this happens, in 6 weeks I lose 6lbs. If I then increase my activity by a true – ie regardless of difficulty and equipment – 3000 per week, my loss would be 12 lbs.

This makes perfect sense to me, but sincoeluv seems to be saying this is incorrect, to me he is being illogical.

I have no idea how much activity this equates too, and I know exactly how much food, so of course you are perfectly correct about which is easier. Whether someone addicted to food finds eating less easier than exercising is a different discussion, of course!!

Great discussion on exercise!

I bought the book “Good Calories, Bad Calories” yesterday (a must read, IMHO), and he talks about this in much the same way as Dr. Fung on IDM.

There are several points, which everyone seems to have touched on.

You can’t outrun a bad diet. Plain and simple, if I eat poorly, no amount of exercise will fix that. I am living proof! You should see my calendar from February and March, before I started IF. I belonged to the YMVA, did 3 cardio classes plus did weight machines, then joined Cathe.com on demand. Bought a weight set. In March, I started at 179; at the end of the month, I was…..176! And there is a big “WTF!” In red right after that number! And I thought I was eating pretty good!

Another point is that of compensation. If a person goes to the gym every day, chances are they are not going to go home and work around the house . And vice versa, one who doesn’t exercise will be busy as a bee. This has been proven in studies. I’m sure there are exceptions though.

The other point, in the current book I am reading, is that exercise increases appetite. You may not notice it much, it may be small amounts, but it happens.

Like Dr. Fung, Mosley, and others have said, and I so much agree, if eating less and moving more was the answer, there would be no obesity. We have done this for decades: low fat diets, long hours of cardio, fitness clubs, Weight Watchers, etc. So why are we still fat??!

Based on the science of fasting, this handful of experts dared to fly in the face of convention and opened the door for us to finally succeed. Now we have a lot of different ways to eat (or not), and meaningful exercise that helps us stay toned and healthy (and yes, I do exercise, but about an eighth of what I used to). And the really neat thing is that we can customize it to fit our needs. Every body is different. Not everyone responds to 5:2 or 16:8 the same way. Not every body uses carbs or protein or fat the same. Yes, the basic metabolism methods is the same, but my body has genes that says “put the extra fat on the hips and thighs”, whereas
    My girlfriend puts it on in her butt and calves.

So, for me, it is 4:3, plus 16:8, plus no processed carbs and no fruit except an Apple. This week, since reading this book, I’m going to try another twist: protein and fats only. No carbs, not even veggies. I like to experiment (obviously!). So that is me.

Sorry to have gotten off the subject! I just feel so passionate about this whole way of life! It’s hard not to:it’s like I was walking through the desert my whole life, and just found water!

Rereading some of the above posts, for example, say you eat a donut that is 100 calories. That 100 calories is not just calories, and I think this is what throws a lot of people. They think that a calorie is a calorie. (And I am no expert here, just have been studying this, so feel free to disagree or correct me!) Processed carbs and sugar affect your body’s insulin level dramatically. So not only did you ingest 100 calories, but your insulin spike will force the resulting sugar into fat cells. So no, a calorie isn’t just a calorie. Like one researcher wrote “Nobody ever got fat eating broccoli”

That is the basic premise of fasting: when you fast, your insulin level drops ( the longer you fast, the lower it goes, and the body burns stored fat, which is an even better, more efficient source of energy). Again, hence the 16:8, 19:5, etc fasting plans.

So exercising to burn that 100 calorie donut is an exercise in futility. Yes, you burn 10″ calories, but can you outrun the insulin effects?

Hi fit

I get the fasting, I think I get why to extend the fasting window, I get the insulin spikes.

Still don’t get why burning 100 calories in exercise isn’t just the other way of losing 100 calories rather than not eating it.

The studies about non exercise folk rushing around at home didn’t visit my house!!! But I can understand that if TDEE takes in normal life, some of the time spent exercising is accounted for in TDEE.

I even get that exercise increases appetite.

But the basic question is still there. Take away the donut, the miscalculations, the compensations, if exercise makes little or no contribution to weightloss, why not?

If I eat under 3000 calories TDEE, eat well with no sugar, introduce 3000 calories worth of exercise, do everything else as before, why wouldn’t the exercise have a significant, if not equal, additional weightloss effect?

I realize I’m putting a very complicated idea into a simple why not, but I’m asking a simple logic question.

The simple calories in calories out equation supports this logic more the ‘calories are not all equal’ supposition.

And this one. Yes, it helps, but very little. Like someone said, 95% of weight loss is diet, and exercise 5%, why spend so much time at the gym??

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17557987

And how long would it take you to burn 3000 calories in exercise?

Hi milena:

In addition to the above, if you look at the number 5 thread in this post ( https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/the-basics-for-newbies-your-questions-answered/) you will find pretty much all beliefs and opinions on exercise that have been posted on this site somewhere or another. In addition, if you look at my 13Feb15 post on the main thread on metabolism, there is reference to a twins study that showed that it is genetic and many people do not get a ‘one for one’ benefit from exercise. In other words, if they think for whatever reason they have exercised enough to burn 500 calories, many people actually have only burned 300 or less.

Exercise is the best thing you can do for your health (except if you smoke, stop smoking), but all research shows it is not very helpful for weight loss.

This is all very interesting but I’m going to go to the gym now and do a short intense weight workout that I hope will INCREASE my weight with some beautiful, metabolically more active muscle. I’m quite sure I’ll get stronger as well.

Athletes and warriors have know for centuries that you gain or lose weight at the training table and you get fit and strong in the gym.

Hi

At the risk of sounding very thick, I’ve learned lots but still not why. There are beliefs and opinions, but nowhere can I see why.

I put the question to my engineer hubby and he says its logical and theoretically, if food calories eaten (or rather not eaten) and workout calories are the same amount of energy, the result should be the same. I have put the question to my neice who has just got a first class honours degree in physics. Ill wait to see if she knows.

Perhaps no one knows?

Hi milena:

Perhaps you are confusing math with real life?

If you have to walk 25 miles to lose a pound (some people 40 miles or more), do you have the willingness, time and ability to do that? To lose a pound? If you want to lose a pound a week, can you walk that far each week, and not eat one extra calorie?

Most people can’t.

However, exercising for much shorter times brings wonderful, increased fitness and better overall health.

That is why you exercise for better health, but diet for weight loss.

The laws of thermodynamics are not repealed in the human body. A calorie is a calorie whether it is consumed for energy or burned, but your body may respond differently depending on how much you eat what you eat, when you eat it and what kind of exercise you do.

Some simple examples, protein takes more calories to digest than carbohydrate so if you eat the same number of calories of each fewer calories are available to your body to store if it is protein. Fat is digested more slowly and causes a much more gentle blood sugar rise than carbs and so less insulin is produced reducing fat storage.

If you do low intensity exercise like walking or jogging you consume glycogen and your body will restock it before storing fat. If you do high intensity resistance exercise your body uses additional energy (calories) repairing and strengthening muscle.

Genetics do play a role with this but how genes are expressed can be influenced by practices like fasting and exercise.

Hi Simcolev

How do you figure I’m confusing mathematics with real life. Are you confusing real life with the maths?

You seem to have answered my question though.

I asked why? You are telling me it takes a huge amount of exercise to lose that pound.

I didn’t ask which was easier.

So, far from confusing maths with real life, I have taken real life out of the equation, and logically I will lose a pound in weight if I do 3500 calories worth of exercise or I can lose a pound in weight if I eat 3500 calories less. Simply put.

And quite logical.

5:2 is all about the maths – arithmetic that is. Calories in minus calories out. Arithmetic. TDEE is surely a mathematical equation. Height x age x weight = TDEE is the maths, I imagine real life isn’t as pure as maths and not so exact. But the maths is the starting point.

3500 calories does not equal a pound of fat. But it is used a the mathematical equation.

You wrote, exercise doesn’t contribute much to weightloss – now you appear to say it could, if you’re willing to bust a gut – or is walking 25 miles a week busting a gut? Or reasonable?

Now to the reasoning behind my question, and its relevance to a plateau.

I had just finished reading that if I walk an extra 5000 steps a day, I could lose a pound a week. Approximately.

I am looking to increase my steps from 5000 a day to 10,000. Presume therefore, eating the same and walking another 3 miles or so, could lose another pound a week. Simple.

And if or when I hit the plateau could the walking not walk me off the plateau.

I’m not arguing for or against exercise v eating for weightloss. I was simply asking why exercise doesn’t contribute much.

All I was doing was querying the logic. Not to confuse logic with real life.

Hi milena:

Your math is correct (with the genetic component a variable). I’ve never disputed that. I’ve simply maintained that most people are not able to utilize the calorie burning results of exercise to obtain material weight loss results because they do not have the ability, willingness or time. I also have pointed out that genetically, many people do not get a ‘one for one’ – so while one person might burn 3500 from any given exercise, another may only burn 2500 from the same exercise. Thus it cannot be said that if you walk X extra steps, you will burn Y extra calories and lose Z amount of weight – that will vary quite a bit person by person, even though the math is quite clear. The individual experiment I posted in the exercise thread is an unscientific example – according to the ‘math’, I should have lost 7 pounds more than I did lose.

I have couched all of this against the expectations many (not all) start the diet with. If they think they will lose X amount doing 5:2, and then think they will lose 2X because they also exercise, many will be quite disappointed when they don’t lose 2X and end up quitting 5:2 (or any other diet, for that matter). I simply try to warn people that their exercise may not lead to the additional weight loss they expect in hopes that they understand and don’t stop trying to lose weight because 5:2 (or any other diet they might be on) does not work.

5:2 works, but because of god knows how many variables, works differently for each person that exercises (or does not exercise, for that matter).

That is my only point.

Hi milena (again):

As for what you read about increasing your steps, the ‘math’ may not support the conclusion reached, which I understand you to say would be a pound a week.

All I can do is talk averages, but here they are. The average 10,000 step a day program burns about 400 to 500 calories. If you are at 5000 and increase to 10,000, that will mean, on average, you will be burning about 225 calories more per day than you are currently burning. 7×225=1575. Assuming 3500 cal. per pound, that would increase your weight loss by about 7 ounces. If you are one of the lucky ones that gets full one for one. If you are not, the loss will be more in the 4-5 ounce range.

But an extra pound or more a month is nothing to sneeze at, and presumably you will also be in better condition.

Go for it!

Hi Sincoeluv – yet again – we must stop meeting like this!

Well near enough the figures I got were slightly different to yours and those figures equate 5000 steps to a pound a week – depending on variables of course. But whether thst amount of exercise gives that amount of weightloss misses the point and clouds the issue.

But as you say, even an extra 1/2lb a week would be around 2lbs a month, 20-25 lbs in a year.

Significant.

The logic therefore, is correct.

I know that this exercise “horse” is pretty much dead from us having beaten him up pretty good, but I wanted to share something that hopefully might put it into better perspective.

I know that it seems like it should be a simple fact that weight gain or loss should be a matter of calories in vs calories out. But once you start studying how the body’s physiology works (and usually only people who have no life, like me, study stuff like this!), You realize that it isn’t that simple equation.

How the body (and each body is different, as simcoluv pointed out), and will use the available insulin or glucose differently than you can even imagine. This has been studied and documented for 100 years. 10,000 of my steps per day won’t equal the same calorie burn as the next; my use of carbs won’t result in the same insulin response as the next person. All these numbers, tdee, etc., are generalizations, useful but each needs tweaked to our own bodies.

And did you realize that 90% of our tdee is reached by merely living, breathing, producing body heat,etc? So again, stressing that when you put such an emphasis on exercise, you are spending a lot of time worrying about 10% of the equation. I know it makes us feel like that is the only thing we can change, but as one gentleman put it so nicely, weight is gained or lost at the table.

I don’t think it can be stressed enough, especially to those suffering from a plateau, that although exercise is important for cardiovascular health, mood, muscle tone and such, it just simply won’t get you over the plateau in most cases. I’m sure someone will be able to, so before anyone jumps me, no, I am not saying “can never happen”, and I could be wrong. But as I said before, from both personal experience, the experience of my friends and family, and on research, the diet is the only controllable factor in weight loss.

hi fit

I only asked why, and you given the best answer so far.

I am not the least bit keen on exercise, for weightloss or for health. Sad eh? I get no pleasure from it, though in my younger days loved it. But, having also a sad life, did a bit of reading. OH puts a chain around my neck and drags me out for walks – walking to work is 20 paces, including the detour to the bathroom – because he things moving more will help my weightloss. So I go, except when I have the excuse not to. My son is now dragging me by a chain to the gym.

Its a hard life.

To show willing – Ive decided this month go concentrate on exercise, reluctantly. OH bought me the fitbit, cos I like gadgets and he knows I can be bribed by gadgets – to guage 10000 steps, the internet said I could lose a pound if I did this – the carrot was now on front of the donkey!

Then I read simcoeluvs remarks. then read more. The logic was it could make a difference, hence my question. Cos 10000 steps every day is a challenge.

But for this particular fatty, 10% or 50% or anything extra is a decent enough contribution. So I am – albeit very reluctantly – off to exercise to help my weightloss. Damn!!!

I just love your sense of humor and dry wit, Milena! I generally don’t enjoy “exercise” either, but put on a hot Zumba song, and I am unstoppable! Unfortunately, 2 back surgeries usually put me out of commission for a day. So I had to find a better way.

Enjoy your forced walkathon, whether it be 1 step or 10,000! And as always, I wish the best for you and everyone here!

thankyou fit.

Got to 9000 on my first day yesterday, including a walk before bedtime.

A first.

Not thrilled, though.

Hi milena and fitnfast, thank you for your recent conversations, they have made me very very happy :):)
    I bet I hate exercise the most! Now I know it isn’t 100% essential for loosing weight I don’t think I resent it quite so much.
    Milena I misspelled your name earlier, it autocorrected to melons, he, he! Sorry about the other stuff
    Good luck Gooseylucey x

Hi everyone,

Happy that I found your post and going to steer things back to alternate fasting methods. I have been a strict 5.2 follower for about 6 months, happy with weight loss (started 60kg and I only wanted to lose about 5kg, have lost 4kg and plateaued) but due to circumstance am changing things up this week. I am moving back to Australia from London soon and so have a lot of dinners with friends this week and couldn’t fit in my fasts.

So I thought I could fast during the day and eat only at night. I’m a bit of a strange one because by the time I get home on a fast day I generally don’t feel like eating and so have got to a point where I don’t eat any calories on a fast day (only calories are from black coffee in the morning).

Last night for dinner I ate WAY too much, I actually felt ill afterwards, and I still feel full and it is 12 o’clock. That is why you SHOULD NOT GO to all you can eat BBQ rib restaurants for dinner. Tonight I will be much more sensible and choose a healthier option. I expect to keep my weight the same but you never know…

Hi Goosey

We should form a club! But – a lightbulb moment – off shopping!!!! I’ll let you know how many steps – OH parks in the bank carpark to save 50p so thats a fair few (well he is a Scot!). Too far to walk there, but will walk the 3 miles round trip to post office first – probably, even though there is a post office in the shopping centre.

No probs with melons, had that one for years, apparently I have the build – but my name is spelt wrongly constantly – is isn’t pronounced the way it is spelt anyway – so not a problem! A woman at one the the markets has called me Jenny for years. Maybe I look like a donkey?

MrsCiv, my other downfall – eating – we’ll done for not eating on fast days – I planned to not eat until dinnertime yesterday for my 19:5 hours – counted the minutes, I plan fast days of not eating – and clockwatch the whole time.

Should spend my days shopping instead of working and watching the clock I suppose, but I’m trying alternative days this week. Still not sure if I should keep jumping about doing different things or get into a rhythm – wonder how many calories I can use jumping?

Unlike most of the folks here I’m doing 5:2 for the health benefits. Looking better is a side benefit. One thing about exercising, I can make my body look better by adding a few lbs of muscle where I need it. Unlike losing fat when you have no control where it falls off.

Ever since the concept of intensity was added to my workouts I strongly dislike them. I do not like working out, but I love the results. Lifting heavy with little rest or doing sprints is no fun. But it is over quickly. I can handle 14 minutes of cardio or 30 minutes of weights 4 times a week.

The difference in quality of life is huge. At 64 YO movement is a joy, I can dance for hours, sex never better and my Dr is astonished that my vitals and blood chem is that of a healthy 25 YO.

For me exercise is a no brainer.

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 57 total)

You must be logged in to reply.