TDEE

This topic contains 20 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  tiff630 10 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

• Hi everyone,

My name is Tiffany. This is my first fast day. I did have a question..seems to be a regular one. My TDEE from the calculator is 2014. But as a many year calorie counter/cronic dieter, that’s a lot of calories instead of my 1300 usual to try to lose weight. Is it truly best to go that high..or maybe stick around 1700-1800? I know the goal is to not count..just a matter of trusting yourself to eat a balanced diet on the non fasting days, hard habit to break.

As far as activity..I walk probably walk 3 miles a day..so not crazy active I didn’t want to overestimate and put myself in the light active option.

Just curious..hopefully I won’t too cranky has my fasting day rolls on.. 🙂

Hi Tiffany, the TDEE shows the amount of calories needed to maintain weight, so you need to eat less than this. 1300 calories is very low. My TDEE is around the same so I aim for around 1800 on normal days but I don’t stick rigidly to this because I’m trying not to count calories other than fasting days. I am however being much more aware of what I am eating. Welcome to the forum 🙂

Hi Aniann,

Thanks for the tip. So the TDEE is for maintaining..so you put in the calculator your goal weight. When I did that..it turned out to be 1750 just around the 1800 you said! Thank you makes sense. Actually 1700 is such a treat..1300 is what I’ve done to lose weight..and it’ll be great to have an extra 400 calories to play with!

Thank you for the welcome 🙂 How have you been doing with the program so far?

Tiff

TDEE,

Where do I enter my goal weight to see how many calories I should eat on nonfast day? What site? It’s s confusing because all these sights are so different and don’t really explain it well. On the one this forum has provided, it says my TDEE should be 2058, so subtract 500? I don’t see where to enter your goal weight. Could just be I’m a giant airhead! 😀

Tidy – I think….you put in your goal weight on the TDEE if weight loss is your goal with this program. That tells you the TDEE to maintain the goal weight. Otherwise if you put in your current weight, that TDEE is to maintain that weight.

I think we’ve agreed that it’s not your goal weight you enter in the TDEE calculator (which, Tidychick, is on the How? tab on this site) but your current weight. The point is you have to regularly re-enter the info as you lose weight as the number of cals you need decreases as you decrease in size. So,if you have your TDEE allowance for 5 days and your 500/600 cals for 2 days, then you are automatically eating less than you need to maintain and therefore will lose weight. So, if my TDEE is 2000 (it is, thereabouts) and I eat 2000 cals x5 days and 500 cals x2days per week that’s a total of 11,000 cals in a week. To maintain my weight I’d need 14000 cals in a week, ergo, i will lose weight, eating 3000 fewer cals than I need to maintain. Does that help?

TDEE calculator is available here: http://thefastdiet.co.uk/how-many-calories-on-a-non-fast-day/
    And the TDEE is the number of calories to maintain your current weight.

If Tiffany sticks to 1800 kcal on non-fast days, instead of 2000 kcal, she would speed up the weight loss as follows:
    5 days x (2000-1800) = 1000 kcal per week, approx. 150 g additional weight loss per week, because you need 7000 kcal deficit to lose 1 kg.

The fast day related weight loss is 2 days x (2000 – 500) = 3000 kcal, approx 450 g weight loss per week

So yes, there is additional gain if you control the calories also on non-fast days, but the fast days are three times more important.

Thanks for all your replies and help, everyone! I will do some refiguring then, as the weight loss has slowed a bit.

Okay great thank you! So it seems to be ok to stick with 1800 cal and adjust or check in with the calculator as the weight goes down.

Yes Tiffany, you’ve got it. You can of course speed up weight loss by reducing your calories even more but what’s the point? A steady loss is the safest way to go and this approach should help. I have lost weight since starting. It isn’t easy but it’s a darn sight more pleasurable than traditional approaches to weight loss 🙂

Oh I agree. And honestly 1800 calories over 5 days is soo much better than the sad 1300 I’d been having daily for ages and not much fun. 🙂

This is confusing, the calculator says my BMR is 1307 (calories I use in a 24 hour day). My TDEE is 1568 (total number of calories burned in a day/number of calories I need to maintain the weight I am at now). So, I do not want to stay at this weight, so that means I need to eat less than 1,568 calories on the five days of eating normally?

Dimples: in order to lose weight, you can eat max 1568 cal on 5 non-fast days and max 500 kcal on 2 fast days per week.
    Your weight loss is 2 x (1568-500) = 2136 kcal per week, approx 300 g per week.

BMR is just the number of calories you would consume, even if you would not anything during the day.

Thanks Viisikaksi! Would you also know if there is a way to track replies?

Yes, just click the writer’s name (e.g. your own), and then replies created (or topics created).

Viisikaksi,

Here is where I get messed up. My BMR is 1328 and TDEE 2058, which seems really high to me. I thought TDEE was to maintain your current weight, and that you should lower it by 500 calories? Sorry to get so hung up on this, but the weight loss seems to be stalling a bit. On fitness pal, it says I should eat 1320 calories per day to lose, but that of course, doesn’t take into account 2 fast days a week. There is a big difference between eating 1320 calories and eating 2058 in a day. If I just sort of guess what I eat in a day, I tend to overeat, because I can’t keep track. Why doesn’t the calculator just tell you straight out how many calories to eat (for your height and weight) in order to lose weight?

I’m probably just making this harder than it needs to be, but I’m kinda just guessing every day.

Viisikaksi – thanks, but there is no automatic (so to speak) reply system, so that I can get an email let’s say when someone replies to my posts?

The difference between your BMR and TDEE (2058-1328)=730 kcal means that you are quite active 😀

Fitnesspal calculation is based on, I assume, on the idea that you have limited calorie intake 7 days a week, i.e.
    7 x (2058-1320)= approx 5100 kcal per week, approx. 750 g weight loss per week

5:2 is based on
    2 x (2058-500)=approx 3000 kcal per week, approx. 450 g weight loss per week

So these methods are different, and the weight reduction rhythn is different, but most likely you can continue the 5:2 diet longer than fitnesspal diet.

The TDEE calculator just gives you a hint about the feast days, what calorie level you should not exceed. And fast days are easy with 500/600 kcal.

dimples: No, it seems that there is not such functionality 🙁

Thanks Viisikaksi!! Ashame there isn’t.

Made it through my first fast day. Actually really surprised how easy it was..maybe it was something new, we’ll see what day 2 brings. For now, happily enjoying normal eating today.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply.