Sunshiney and Haley-SA losing weight in Australia

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
Sunshiney and Haley-SA losing weight in Australia

This topic contains 29 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Mauvemyriad 8 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

• A place to report and chat

It’s 7:40am on my first ever fast day and I’m feeling positive about succeeding today. I’ve just done my starting measurements, which are shocking, but I have to believe that they will improve!

Weight: 100.3kg
    Bust: 111cm
    Underbust: 93.5cm
    Waist: 96cm
    Bellybutton: 106cm
    Hips: 120cm

So it’s pretty clear that my lovely hourglass from when I was slim has blown out into a not so lovely stout pear shape! I hope to whittle down my waist and hips, in particular.
    According to the calculation on this forum, I currently have a BMR of 1690c, and a TDEE of 2323c.

Ok, off to get ready for work. Fingers crossed for success today!

How has your day been so far? I hope it has gone well.
    I had to get my car serviced today so I went to the gym for an hour and a bit while it was getting done and went for a beach walk this Argo. Have burnt off a little over 800 calls so I’m hoping it will counter-act the dinner tonight!
    I’ll do my measurements tonight (great thinking)!

Well done you on the exercise 🙂 that’s a great number of calories burnt for the day.
    Was doing well til about 4:30pm, when the hunger really was getting to me, but I’ve had dinner now and feel much better. I think my calories for the day are probably closer to 600 than 500calories, but my 25% is 580calories anyway, so I think I’ve done ok for a first day!

Yes, I thought measurements would be a good way of keeping track of progress and will help with accountability.

Well done that’s awesome! I read a post where someone said that they actually had better weight loss on 600-650 cals. Did you experience a headache at all?

Thanks Haley ? I’ve had a bit of a headache this evening, but not too bad. Interesting about more success at a slightly higher intake – maybe because of better compliance?

Hello Sunshiney,

I am in SA too. Great to know someone from Adelaide.

Keep up with the good work.

I can’t start yet due to my major surgery 🙁

Hello all, I am also in Sunny QLD and had my first fast day yesterday. It wasn’t too bad (although I had to leave the room while my young son was eating during the day). I didn’t have any headaches yesterday, but I did today & I absolutely HAD to have a sleep today (despite going to bed at 9:30 last night). It felt like the compulsion to sleep during the first trimester of pregnancy. Has anyone else felt like that?

Hi Em.T and Foong!
    Em.T I had huge fatigue on my first day but it got a little better on the second. Hopefully it will improve with time however, I have adrenal problems so I’m always tired anyway but I certainly felt MORE tired.
    Foong I hope you recover quickly.
    Sunshiney I think you are right, and extra 100 cals can make a big difference to mindset and getting through the day I think!

Hi Em T and Foong, welcome 🙂

It was exciting to see a drop on the scales and a lower waist measurement this morning – a nice little boost to prove yesterday was worthwhile.

Went to a little local festival yesterday and enjoyed eating normally but not over the top. Having my second fast day tomorrow and think I’m a bit better prepared, with cherry tomatoes, strawberries and cucumber ready in the fridge, and diet jelly to make up tonight. Hopefully the late afternoon struggle goes easier this time.

Got my diet jelly made – pineapple flavour (yum!). Had chips for tea tonight, which is something that happens maybe once a fortnight, and it’s nice thinking that I don’t have to worry about it putting weight on, as I’m fasting tomorrow. Eating normally, but not excessively on non fast days. Hopefully by the end of the week I’ll be down a kilo or more!

How has everyone else’s weekend gone? Anyone else fasting tomorrow (Monday)?

Fasted today and all going well. No headache which is great. So far I’m at 480 cals. I’m toying with the idea to have a hot chocolate (47 cals) as I went for a nice long beach walk but I’ll see how I go. Glad to get the first fast of the week out of the way before returning to work after holidays tomorrow. Hot chips are my absolute favorite!

Great to hear your fast day has gone well, Haley. I understand the temptation of a hot chocolate sachet at the end of a long day! What do you do for a living, if I may ask?

Halfway through my second fast day. So far, I’ve had some local strawberries, plus a cup of tea and some diet jelly. Feeling positive about getting through the day, and find I’m concentrating ok on my uni assignment today, unlike my first fast day. Am craving a hot milo, but can’t afford the calories, so just have to keep telling myself I can have it tomorrow instead!

How is everyone else’s day going today? Em T, Foong, are either of you fasting today?

Hi Sunshiney I hope your second day ended well. I’ve just had to cancel my plans for my next fast day (wed) which is going to put my weekly weigh in (thurs) out of whack but hopefully it will mean I will see a bigger loss the next week!
    I’m an Assistant Principal in a public school. What are you studying? Its interesting that you feel your concentration has improved on your second day. It must keep getting easier by the sounds of it!
    Ok so my measurements are:
    Bust 95cm
    Waist 80
    Tummy 90 (my most hated area!)
    Thigh 61
    Hips/butt 106.5
    I’ve put on 6 cm on my tummy since Jan and I really just want to be able to wear ANY top without feeling self conscious about my keg?

Hi Haley, sounds like work must keep you very busy! I used to be a teacher, but it just wasn’t the right career for me, so I’m back studying environmental science, with one year still to go.

My second fast day didn’t go as planned by evening, so I’ve restarted today and all is good so far. Still working on this last assignment, due tomorrow, and finding I can concentrate ok so far. Woke up feeling very bloated for no reason this morning, but hope to see smaller measurements by the end of the week!

Good to see you’ve done your measurements – I’m sure you’ll be glad you did once you start to see changes 🙂 I can sympathize re: the tummy issue – when I put on weight most recently, it went to my lower abdomen and back, and I can’t wait to get rid of it!

I’m not sure how much is just post-fast rather than real results, but I’m down 1.1kg, 1cm down on each of my bust, under bust and hips, and 1.5cm down on my waist after yesterday’s fast. Hoping these results will continue!

Hello everyone. Before I start a divergent thread looking for Aus buddies, would you mind if I joined in here? I see there are some Aussie threads but most seem quite well established. I am from Melbourne and am returning to 5:2 (only a brief stint previously). I have a BIG journey ahead of me with a lot of weight to lose but am looking at all the benefits IF brings. I will be blogging my journey too at http://myfiveandtwo.blogspot.com.au/ but no progress pics as I don’t want to scare anyone away!! Starting with a bang on a fast day today.

Hi Mauve, you’re welcome to join us. How’s your first fast day going so far? I’m fasting today too.

Hi sunshiney! Thank you for your welcome. Chaos broke out yesterday and had to do the grocery shopping too so in the end I opted to switch my fast day until today instead. How did you go yesterday? Do you find fast days generally easy?

I was doing really well until 2pm but had only had a few hours sleep the night before and this always makes me hungry so I figured I would switch my fast to today after the grocery shopping last night. I have my fast meals ready to go so am confident and motivated for today (and better rested!)

Yesterday, I only ate between 2pm and 8pm. I’m going to try to keep to an eight hour eating window and my TDEE on non fast days as this worked well for me last time. How are things going for you today?

Hi everyone! Hey Sunshiney have you started using the tracker tool – a handy way to record measurement & see results graphed for you.

Hi Mauve great to see you here – although I have found the established threads also welcome new members – they say it keeps them fresh!!!! And obviously they have lots of experience if you have any questions. But also nice to have a group of newbies to share with. I am fasting Tuesdays & Thursdays – not Mondays as I do groceries that day & I imagined fasting & trying to do groceries would be a disaster!

I found my fast days this week much easier than the first – I could even be around while my son was eating! I will try to check in more often on fast days. Anyway since last week I have lost 1cm from the top of each thigh (do I get to count that as 2cm off ;-)) and 0.5cm off my waist. BTW are you measuring at your natural waist (just above the belly button) or around the belly button? I have been doing the lower measurement as this is more of a problem for me.

Hope the coming week is a successful one for you all 🙂

P.S. another teacher here, but on leave at the moment while my children are young.

Good morning everyone! Hope you’re all enjoying the beginning of the weekend.

First fast day down yesterday and I made it. Bit headachey towards the end of the day but I suspect that it’s dehydration. I really underestimated how much fluid we get through our foods. I noticed this too last time I was doing 5:2 that the dehydration symptoms were quite apparent so am making an extra effort to drink more than I think I need. Installed a water drinking tracker app on my phone to help and realised that at my size, I should be drinking about 2.5 litres a day – I probably average a third of that on a regular day so no wonder I get the headaches and gummy feeling in my throat.

Thanks EmT. I feel bad enough hijacking this thread. I should probably join in on the other threads too, now that I’ve started gatecrashing ;). Congratulations on your great results! As I am a blocky shape I don’t really know where my true waist is so I measure at the navel instead.

I’m also temporarily out of the paid workforce helping care for my mum and with a 3 year old. Usually I work in University Admin. I’m from Melbourne.

Have a great week everyone!

Hi ladies! Nice to see you here chatting 🙂

Yes, I’m using the tracker on the site, and keen as mustard to be able to start putting on some smaller numbers! I measure at a few places – around the fullest part of my bust; around my chest beneath my breasts (which should show back fat reduction); around my natural waist (the smallest part of my torso); around my bellybutton (larger than my ‘waist’); and around the largest part of my bottom. I haven’t taken measurements for legs or arms, but I do have a few articles of clothing that I’m using to monitor progress as well 🙂

Hi Ladies 🙂

Sunshiney – yes around my belly button is larger than my waist too, and I think this is the measurement you need to check if your “waist” is less than 1/2 your height. I’m not worrying about arms but am keen to see my “saddlebags” get a bit smaller so checking my upper thigh. I like the tracker, but it would be nice to be able to add the other measurements I am interested in as well as the standard ones.

Mauve – Wooo Hooo for your first fast day!!!! Keep in mind that the headaches can also be caused by the chemicals produced when your body uses ketones for energy rather than glucose. Apparently your body will adjust to this as it gets used to fasting. A good sign that you’re probably metabolising fat though! I had a really bad headache the day after my first fast but ok since.

Hayley – hope all is going well for you, I am sure you are a very busy lady!!!

🙂

Hi Em T,

I’m certainly hoping for smaller legs too! Yes, would be nice to have other measurements added to the tracker, but I write mine all down in a table in Word as well anyway.

Hi Mauve, hope you got through your fast ok and that the headache wasn’t too bad!

Hayley, are you fasting tomorrow? I am…in fact, I’m planning to fast three times this week because I have an event on the weekend that I’d like to feel and look a little slimmer for!

Hi Sunshiney. I will be fasting tomorrow as I’ve had a later dinner than expected today. My headache was manageable and subsided once I’d upped my water intake. After two short days I am finding that my cravings for chocolate and sweet fizzy drinks are virtually nil. I love how fasting seems to reset my palate!

Thanks EmT. I hadn’t considered that it might be the ketones. I should have remembered this from my brief dalliance with the Atkins diet. All I remember from that were expensive, unhealthy protein bars and ketostix (fun times).

I’m half way through the first week now and weigh day will be Thursday.Hope everyone has a good day tomorrow, especially if weighing in 🙂

Hi everyone,

Fast day for me today – I’ve got a pretty busy day ahead, which should help. I’ll be fasting today, Wednesday and Friday this week.

Glad to hear you managed to nix the headache, Mauve. Good luck with your weigh in on Thursday!

Hi all, hope your week is going well.

Sunshiney – how is your fasting going today?

Mauve – hope you go well for your weigh-in tomorrow. I may or may not get on tomorrow, but I am recording my measurements on Fridays, so we can compare notes then!!!

Had a small blowout over the w’end so skipped lunch on Monday (normal b’fast & dinner but nothing in between) and then fasted yesterday. I found that having fewer calories the day before made the fasting a bit more challenging yesterday. Will see how my second fast for the week goes tomorrow!

It was quite amusing the other night: the kids were having fish & chips & salad, but as it was a FD I had a small piece of baked fish (with 100g cherry toms wrapped in foil, yum!) and a small mountain of steamed greens (brocollini & asparagus, yum!) … the kids were quite bemused by how different my meal looked even though I was having fish too. Up until then it had been less obvious that I was eating differently from them on FDs (stir-fry without rice, tortilla pizza with modified topping, bolognaise without pasta). In fact this has been the most challenging part in some ways – finding things I can cook, that doesn’t mean doing 2 completely different meals. Obviously the fish dinner was completely different, but simple enough prep & both meals done in the oven made it work.

Enjoy the second half of your week!

Hi everyone. Have been MIA the last few days as my grandfather passed away. While I didn’t track my calories (which I have been doing on my non fasting days), am fairly confident I did not exceed my TDEE on those days (Wednesday, Thursday and Friday). I switched my fast day from Friday to Saturday and knocked it over yesterday with not too much fuss. Shopping helped!

Pleased to report that I lost 2.1kg for my first week. This could be owing to dehydration too as I barely drank anything on Wednesday. I am going to take my measurements monthly rather than weekly so i’ll update those in 3 weeks time. Planning my next fast day for Tuesday as I have a lot on that day anyway.

One surprising development though – I had my fast day yesterday and barely drank compared to usual and … no headache!! Maybe the extra water is doing something to me on fast days or maybe I have adjusted to the fasting. Will have to drink more on Tuesday to see.

Have a great week everyone!

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply.