starting to lose momentum :(

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
starting to lose momentum :(

This topic contains 8 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  monkeyslim 9 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• Help! I have been doing 5:2 since October and have been really happy with the results 28lbs so far!Whoop. Im just really struggling to fit in fast days at the mo, and starting to put them off haven’t done even 1 fast day this week. Has anyone else gone through a funny phase like this, and just given up for a week or two and got back on it again alright? Any advice on how to get back on track losing again?!

My advice would be to get right back on that wagon before it becomes a slippery slope! Pick a day to fast again and give yourself a good motivational talking to about how well you’ve done so far. Good luck monkeyslim!

Monkeyslim, Auriga is right. To really lose weight you need to hang in there. If you stop too long, your weightloss will stop and that will kill the last glimmer of motivation!

Unfortunately, there is now way of sugar coating 5:2… At the end of the day it is calorie restriction 7 days a week, 5 of which meaning eating under your TDEE and 2 as you know under 500/600 calories.

Either you want to lose weight or you don’t? I have been on it for now 7 months and frankly, the weightloss plateaud regularly and so did my motivation.

On the other hand, yesterday I had a picture taken of myself with my graduating daughter and it was the first time without a double chin…(I am very close to goal weight). That made me happy.

5:2 is a diet but also a new way of life, where you should learn to incorporate a new attitude towards food. If you don’t do this, I can not see the result long lasting.

So while my post might sound depressing, what I am really trying to say, we need to face reality and understand that 5:2 is neither a fast way to lose weight nor is it a short term cure.

Ask yourself why you are doing it and try to remember those arguments next time you want to skip.

Personally, my biggest issue were not the fast days, but the boredom that set in after a couple of months. I helped myself with changing things around, by going on 4:3; ADF; plain calorie counting and much more importantly by really changing my dietary habits and starting to exercise.

Fitness and nutrition have become my new hobbies with the side effect of losing weight while doing this. Another nice add on is the fact that when you exercise, you can consume some of those exercise calories back and this allows me to feel a bit more like a “normal” human being on my non fast days.

I log all of my food in myfitnesspal and all of my exercises in the fitbit application that came with my pedometer. Taking the focus of just doing 5:2 and now trying to get my exercises in made the 5:2 much more tolerable.

Anyhow, long blurb…apologies, hope you get back on the wagon rather sooner than later.

Best of luck
    Stef.

Stef:

Couldn’t agree with you more.

monkeyslim, I started 5:2 last August and have lost over 40 pounds. I certainly hit periods of time when fasting became difficult or I just got bored with it. A couple of times I only fasted one day in a week either because I was sick or just too disorganized because of a severe psychosocial stressor to pull off a proper fast day. However I didn’t go nuts and overeat, and fasted again as soon as I reasonably could. Whenever I got bored I would treat myself to a new cookbook or some new pot or pan or kitchen gadget so that I could try some new dish. Keeping up with the forum can help me stay motivated, too. I guess I would have felt weird trying to explain to my son and my doctor why I was quitting before I’d accomplished what I set out to do. Not to mention been seriously demoralized about that myself. Because 5:2 really is do-able for me (although still hard work), unlike daily calorie restriction, which just left me hungry all the time. I can deal with being hungry two days a week (and occasionally for a little while on the other days). Just not all the time. How about you? How far are you from your goal? How much do you want to reach it?

If the trouble is fitting fast days in, does that mean it’s hard for you to fast on certain kinds of days? Some days that I want to fast I would end up being too tired at the end of the day to cook a proper fasting day dinner, and I do like to eat something tasty at the end of a fasting day. When I cook for fast days I like to make extra, and have enough for a future fast day in the freezer. Barring that, there are frozen ready meals that could fit the bill, even some take-out that could be made to work by leaving out the bun or the rice or whatever. Or maybe a family member who could be persuaded to cook a fasting-day favorite.

I find that I can do a lot more physical activity on a fast day now than I could a few months ago. Is just having to do too much that day the reason? Or maybe business lunches or travel or other obligations that makes it hard to fit fasting in?

Wow thanks for these responses, thats some brilliant advice!

@stef Yes I really do want to do it! Im at a bit of a milestone I always get to this point and then I lose concerntration on my focus and goals. Your definitely right to look at things in the longterm as a life change. The boredom is becoming a challenge, but its definitely a phase.

@franfit Wow thats an awesome success welldone! I would love to reach 11stone its my dream goal, and do a total loss of just under 4 stone so Im half way! I have never managed to do this before, and I guess it just seems unattainable for me as have been this way for such a long time. Focus is the key got to stay focused! Summer I find just a hard time to fast always something going on and drinks in the evening with friends, that often then leads to eating out or because of the evening drinks I get so tired and ravenous the next day. Think thats one of the main problems really, maybe something I need to stop. doh.

So enough is enough Im back on the wagon today, Im not letting this already hard work go to waste no, no ,no. Thanks for the support, just a wobble but not going to stop for a few weeks just going to KEEP GOING!thanks guys x

I’ve been having the same sort of problems. I seem to have reached a plateau. I lose 2lbs and then put 2lbs back on. I’m hovering around 10stone 9ish. After a fast day it falls to 10ston 7ish and then goes back up again.

Should I take some time off or up it to 4:3 days? It’s not that I find it hard to do the fast days, but it’s just a bit dispiriting when I can’t get lower than 10st 7lbs.

I shouldn’t complain as I have dropped a dress size and lost about three quarters of a stone in a year. I would love to lose that last 7bls.

Treat it like a project – that’s what I do when I find my motivation waning.

I always plan my meals for the week but sometimes to inspire me more get out the (fast friendly) cookbooks and look for some new recipes to try. I also look back at my food diary to see what I really enjoyed on previous fast days – particularly where I had good results on that week. Then I set up a chart or a planner for a few weeks. I look at what I have got coming up at work and socially and plan around it. I really think planning is the key.

Have you picked up or downloaded a copy of the new Fast Beach Diet yet? I found that really got me inspired again. I am a slow but steady loser and lost 20lbs over about 10 months (though gained some back during a holiday in March). In the last 4 or 5 weeks I’ve lost 10lbs by sticking to 500 cals 3 days per week and tightening up on my non fast days as well.

thanks detoxmanic, yes that is good advice actually have gone through my fitness pal history and had a look at my successful weeks. Quite interesting can definitely see what works more.

janthea that is a great loss! I actually found having a week off good for me personally. I had some other stuff going on and I just needed a week off thinking about food and calories. I am back on track this week and have already dropped another lb so obviously was the right thing to do. Sometimes you just have to listen to what your body is saying don’t beat yourself up and get back on it with a plan the following week. Im going to try out the fast beach diet from now, I kind of do it anyway but just tighten up the strictness. 8 weeks till holiday come on!!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply.