Starting calorie intake for fasting days?

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
Starting calorie intake for fasting days?

This topic contains 8 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Cathyh46 7 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• After doing the calculations of the BMR and TDEE, I realized that the 500 calorie did not calculate for me, it stated that you should eat only 1/4 of your TDEE and my TDEE was extremely high because I am obese and I am wondering how many had to calculate their numbers and did your numbers go up? My fast number intake is 723 calories as a female and my husbands calculated to 613.
    Can someone please help?
    Your thoughts please and can you let me know how it is going for you.

Hi Cathy and welcome:

The 500/600 recommendations are based on 1/4 of ‘averages’ of TDEEs for women and men. Every one is different, so your numbers are different. You can eat to your 1/4 numbers with no problem. However, you don’t have to eat up to your ‘numbers’. So you can eat less if you want. Many eat no calories on their diet days.

Here are some tips to help you get the most out of 5:2: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/the-basics-for-newbies-your-questions-answered/

Good Luck!

Hi Simcoeluv,
    Thank you and after trying to figure this out when I started and reading the newbies questions, I decided to go by the TDEE that was on the website here and I have lost 9 pounds, actually started by doing a 25 hour fast on the 12th of October and then did my second day on that friday, so I just skipped one day and then the next week I am Tuesday’s and Fridays and I am doing 734 calories because I am one of those obese people with no health issues at age 46, I exercise 4-5 days a week (walking) and have done it for over 6 years to no avail until I came across the 5:2 Fast Diet that I read and reread before starting.
    This is the first diet that is working for me and I don’t think of it as a diet, I think of it as personal time with God and I am so excited about my progress and as I lose weight I will do my TDEE over and get the calorie intake right.
    Thank you 🙂

Hi cathy,

Welcome to the forum cathy! This works. I am almost at goal weight now, I have chronic ill health where I cannot exercise and I am now happily 5:2 ing for life now, except the for life bit will be in maintenance mode.
    I recommend you join one of the ongoing threads on the forum and you will be supported and informed by others as you go along the journey.

Onwards and Downwards,
    Merry

There is no magic involved in 1/4 TDEE. This is just a value that Michael Mosley thought most people could do. This diet is in part based on the scientific studies of Luongo and Vardy. Luongo advocates a 4 day water fast once per month. That may be beyond most people so Michael adopted it to 5:2.

Hi, I read that in my book on the research that went into starting the 5:2 and it is really awesome, I have always fasted but never thought too much of it other than prayer and then on the 11th of October I fasted for 25 hours with no water or food and prayed and I had read the book and felt like I was not ready to do this until after that day and now I am ready and I am grateful for people like you that are well informed of everything that I need to stay encouraged to move forward.
    Thank you 🙂

Hi Merryme,
    I actually joined the group for the Christmas weight loss challenge, I have not found out if I was added yet with Little voices, I am going to check in today to see if I was accepted in the group. I noticed that a lot of people are not from the U.S. here so I am on the other side of the world trying to keep up with the timezone others are on.
    That is truly awesome Merryme on you hitting your goal, I am really looking forward in getting there as well, I know that I did not become over weight overnight and I know it will not be an overnight thing for me and I am going to get there with people like you and others in this group supporting me. My husband is also helping me, this is a lifelong thing for me and I know that I got to be ready because I don’t like diets and I chose to make this a choice to live a better life. I am looking forward in seeing you in the forums 🙂

Hi Cathyh46 I have left a message for you in the little voices thread but thought I would look for your else where and leave another. The little voices thread is obsolete as it was October 2015 – sorry for smiling. You will find Merryme, myself and others in 31 day October Challenge – it is just ending but you can jump in where you are and then be ready to join us for November and December. We have a great group of people from all over the world. Very supportive. Hope to see you there.

Hi Coda,:-)… it is okay to smile about it and thank you for letting me know, I really appreciate it :-)… I look forward in joining the November/December challenge 🙂

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply.