Some fat people are very fit and healthy, they don't need to lose weight. True?

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
Some fat people are very fit and healthy, they don't need to lose weight. True?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  AntonioMS 4 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• I’m a bit confused about this, to be honest.

Take people like Andy Ruiz, the current boxing Heavyweight World champion. He’s VERY fat, yet he’s exceptionally fit. I assume he has good blood sugar/cholesterol/blood pressure. Same with the historic king of MMA: Fedor Emelianenko, not that fat but he’s got that visible fat around his waist.

Would these people be healthier if they lost weight? Or, my idea is: maybe they should lose weight after they reach 35-40yo or so, when that extra fat would begin harming them.

Fitness for health is considered the opposite end of the spectrum to fitness for sporting achievement. Training regimes for elite athletes are absolutely punishing, injuries and overtraining syndrome are rife.

I believe any sportsperson would be healthier if they achieved or maintained a bodyfat that was in the healthy or clinically overweight range rather than the obese range.

Although lifestyle is critical in health, disease, fitness and athleticism, genetics plays a key role.

Clinical obesity is a medical condition in its own right. It is not only a risk factor.

Excessive bodyfat is inflammatory, and inflammation is part of all the common medical conditions you could think of. Bodyfat around the outside of the waist is accompanied by bodyfat on the inside, in and around the organs.

Obesity is also linked to an unhealthy gut microbiome (bacteria and yeasts). Whereas being physically active is linked to a healthier gut microbiome.

Excessive bodyfat is harmful at any age, which is why some Western children are being diagnosed as insulin resistant and even Type 2 diabetic. Just as Dr Michael Mosley did, these young people can reverse this diagnosis if they are able to shed significant bodyfat and become physically active.

Thanks for your answers. You’re right. Being an elite sportsman is not the best way to be healthy.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply.