Set backs.

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  HappyNow 8 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• Hi everyone! This is my first post on the forums.

This is my 10th week doing 5:2. In the first six weeks, I did really well, losing 7.5kg. I exercise five days a week and try to stick to around 1500 on non-fast days so I guess that is why I saw such good results.

Then came the week of my 30th birthday. I had lots of eating/drinking plans with my partner, so decided to take the week off the diet. All good. Then, I hit the snag – I sprained my ankle. That meant no activity as well as no diet.

I returned to 5:2 the following week, and over the past four weeks I have been slowly starting to use my ankle again. I am back to four spinning work outs a week, although walking and running are still painful.

I am fasting today and tomorrow is my first proper weigh in since the birthday week/ankle injury debacle.

I am SO hoping for a good loss. I have been working so hard not let the set back throw me off the wagon completely as it would have done with other diets.

Has anyone else had any major unforseen set backs with this program? And if so, how did you overcome them?

Hi Polly,

Why did spraining your ankle mean you couldn’t fast?

I appreciate that you couldn’t exercise, but actually weight loss has little to do with exercise and a lot to do with calorie restriction. So being unable to exercise isn’t a setback to dieting or weight loss.

In any case, in terms of your ankle being a set-back, 5:2 (intermittent fasting) is a way of life rather than a time-limited diet. So just start fasting again?

Happy is right Polly. It is the fasting that reduces your weight. Exercise is for toning your body. Lose the weight and you will feel like exercising. It is not vital for weightloss. You simply need to eat less than your body needs at the time, no matter how active or inactive you are. PVE

Hi Happy

Sorry – perhaps I didn’t word my post correctly. When I said I wasn’t dieting, I meant for the one week I had planned to have off for my birthday anyway – not that I gave up fasting just because I sprained my ankle! I went back to fasting immediately the week after, but what I meant by set back, was that by reducing my activity immensely, things were happening slower than usual.

I have been fasting 10 weeks and only missed the two fasts that coincided with birthday plans.

I weighed this morning and I am 1.2kg down from before my injury so looks like I am back on track.

Side point – I exercise for health, mental and physical, so would always work out regularly, whether I was restricting calorie intake or not.
    s
    Thank!

Hi Polly,

Thanks for clearing up the confusion.

I’m still not really sure what the major set back was, but your weight loss stats look brilliant in any case!

The average weight loss for a woman doing 5:2 is apparently a little under 1lb (0.5kg ish) per week, so I don’t think you’ve got anything to worry about.

I know it will have been frustrating missing your exercise (it makes me super grumpy 🙂 ), but it’s unlikely to have made much difference if any to your weight loss.

Be careful on that ankle now!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply.