Risks of not eating to BMR/TDEE?

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
Risks of not eating to BMR/TDEE?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  bigbooty 7 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• Hi All,

I’ve been doing 5:2 (more like 4:3) for the past fortnight and so far have lost 9lbs!

I have around 5 stone in total to lose.

On my non-fast days I have been calorie restricting; I have not exceeded 1300 calories on these days.

Is this safe to do in your experience or should I eat my TDEE (around 2100)? I’m finding that I’m nowhere near hungry enough to eat that many calories whilst still making sensible choices.

Thanks in advance!

Hi Like:

If you are happy with your results there is no reason you should change what you are doing. If you start eating more calories you will slow or stop your weight loss.

The less you eat, the more you lose.

Good Luck!

Hello! If your body is satisfied with less, I say go ahead and listen to it.
    Btw, is this TDEE for your current weight or your target weight?

Thanks for your replies.

Over the past few weeks I’ve been plateauing…

I fast for two days on 500cal and then restrict on the remaining days. I haven’t exceeded 1500cal in the 6 weeks I’ve been doing 5:2. It doesn’t make sense that I wouldn’t be losing weight- surely it goes against the laws of physics?! Any idea what could be going on here?

I weigh around 192 and I’m eating well below my TDEE, more like the TDEE for my goal weight (135)

Hi Like:

The average weight loss on 5:2 is about a pound a week, so you might gauge your progress by that standard. Weight does not come off consistently or uniformly – it often comes off in ‘chunks’. Here is a discussion about plateaus: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/on-plateaus/

Good Luck!

No your not disobeying the laws of physics. Energy in + energy out + energy storage. Your energy in has decreased and if you’re not losing weight then your energy out has decreased without you realising. This seems to be a common occurrence with a lot of people. Rather than tapping into your fat reserves your body finds it easier to just start conserving energy. If you are finding it easy to do 500 cal why not try a water fast instead. This will train your liver to really start accessing your fat reserves to produce the glucose and ketones it needs for energy.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply.