Recipes for the challenge thread

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Food Recipes
Recipes for the challenge thread

This topic contains 17 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  FlemishCurves 9 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

• Hi, this the place for yummy recipes that people don’t want to read about while they’re fasting 😉

Putting out a call for recipes, especially fast and tasty recipes for fasting days, but any delicious recipes are fine here.

I’m good at tasty, not always so good at quick. Pretty good at ones you can make in large batches and then re-heat.

OK, here’s one, for starters:

Yummy Chocolate-y Breakfast/Snack/Dessert That’s Good For You

500 grams low-fat Greek yogurt
    1 tablespoon good quality cocoa powder
    1 tablespoon instant espresso powder
    1 tablespoon no-alcohol vanilla extract
    1 tablespoon agave syrup

Mix everything together and serve. Mine comes in at about 1 calorie per gram, so a 6-oz. (168 gram) serving, which makes a pretty filling breakfast, comes in at less than 170 calories and contains 17 grams of protein; a 2-oz. serving (56 grams) makes a tasty little dessert for under 60 calories on a fasting day. Your yogurt may be different from mine, please do the calorie calculations based on the ingredients you’re using.

Quick and easy for the lazy or busy dieter, very tasty

Nanny’s eggs.

4 free range eggs
    1/2 tsp chilli powder
    1/4 tsp turmeric
    2 tablespoons of coriander(fresh best)
    3 spring onions
    2 green chill is, de seeded and chopped
    1small onion, peeled and diced
    1 tbsp olive oil

Which all ingredients together and cook like an omelette using oil in the pan. Low heat better result. Prepare 5 mins, cook 5 mins, eat with green salad, serves 2 . 235 cals per portion.

Hey Franfit,
    Can I have some good quorn ones, just started vegetarian this month

Thank you, jojo and ply, two good recipes!

jojo, I have never in my life eaten quorn. In fact, I find 300-calorie vegetarian fasting day dishes somewhat difficult to come up with, to get enough protein without too many carbs. That’s why I eat a lot of fish and frittatas on fast days. It is easier when you have 500 calories to work with for dinner, like I do now. Will post what fast-worthy vegetarian dishes I can come up with.

Some vegetarian fast day main dishes that I can recommend from the FastDiet Cookbook:

Red Lentil Tikki Masala (p. 87 of the U.S. edition), the recipe makes four servings and freezes well. I eat without the Rye Barley Roti, but with a cucumber raita/salad (there is a recipe for raita on p. 208, you can use mint or cilantro or dill) with a thick yogurt dressing, to get all essential amino acids.

Shiitake Noodle Dashi (p. 178 of the U.S. edition), for protein I use 100 grams of tofu instead of 100 grams of Zero Noodles; you could use both; just add the calories from the tofu package to the total for the recipe. This gives you about a pint of very filling soup; it can also be made in a large batch and re-heated. Serve with a kale salad: thinly slice kale leaves, massage with rice vinegar and soy sauce, add some chopped red onion and half a teaspoon of toasted sesame oil.

Fast Fast-Day Dahl:

Heat in small saucepan until the mustard seeds pop:

1 teaspoon ghee or butter
    1 teaspoon mustard seeds

Add:

2-3 cloves garlic, chopped
    1 tablespoon ground cumin
    1/2 teaspoon cayenne

and saute for a couple of minutes.

Add:

3 cups hot water
    1 cup (192 grams) red lentils

Bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer for ~ 20 minutes.

Serve as part of a meal that contains yogurt or cheese, to complement the amino acids in the lentils. (On a busy day, you could even just serve the chocolate/coffee/vanilla yogurt as dessert.)

Mine cooked up to a thick soup at about 1 calorie/ml. Add more water if you want a thinner soup. On a non-fasting day, can be served over rice, which also provides complementary amino acids.

Roasted Eggplant and Mushroom Curry

(reprinted from the thread to make it easy to find)

1 medium eggplant
    1 large beefsteak tomato or 2 or 3 plum tomatoes
    10-oz. package mushrooms

wash veg; prick eggplant with fork; cut beefsteak tomato in half; brush or spray mushrooms with 1/2 teaspoon oil — roast the lot in 425F oven for an hour.

1-1/2 cups (340 grams) plain low-fat yogurt

set this out to warm up to room temperature

1 poblano pepper
    1/2 an onion
    3 cloves garlic

wash the pepper, peel the onion and garlic, chop all the above and saute in

1/2 Tablespoon butter and
    1/2 Tablespoon neutral-flavored oil, OR
    1 Tablespoon ghee

add:

1 Tablespoon ground cumin
    1 Tablespoon Vindaloo seasoning
    1/4-1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper

peel and chop the roasted eggplant and tomato, halve the mushrooms if they are large, add the roasted veg to the sauteed veg and spice, simmer for a few minutes to meld the flavors.
    Turn off the heat and add the yogurt, mix together, and top with:

chopped cilantro.

Made four 264-gram, 190-calorie servings — mine worked out to about 0.72 calories/gram.

Can serve on rice or bulgur, or with naan; I served mine on 30 grams of bulgur and had a small cup of dahl and some cucumber raita with it.

It took a while to cook, but made enough for four servings and reheated well. Roasting the veg first brought out their flavors and gave them a better texture.

Beans & Greens

Saute about 1/2 cup (~125 grams) of drained, rinsed canned beans of your choice such as cannellini, navy, pinto, black (~90-100 calories) in 1 teaspoon olive oil (40 calories) with 10 grams crushed garlic (15 calories) and 200 grams fresh spinach or chard (<50 calories). Season with salt and pepper.

Serve on 200 calories’ worth of whole wheat toast, bulgur or brown rice,

OR

top with 50 grams of cheddar and allow to melt, or serve alongside the cheddar, or serve on 100 calories’ worth of grain and top with 25 grams of cheddar or 15 grams of parmesan.

If 500-calorie dinner, there is room left for a small piece of fruit or some berries for dessert.

Jojo, I like to slice the quorn very thinly, toss with buffalo wing sauce with some diced celery and serve in lettuce leaves with a bit of lowfat blue cheese dressing. Fun to eat and yummy.

Grilled Stuffed Eggplant
    SERVINGS: 6

3 small eggplants, halved lengthwise
    ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
    ¼ cup seasoned dry bread crumbs
    3 plum tomatoes, finely chopped
    1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
    4 cloves garlic, minced
    ¼ teaspoon salt
    ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
    2 tablespoons olive oil

1. PREHEAT a covered grill to medium-high.
    2. WITH a small, sharp knife, cut a grid of ½” squares on the cut side of each eggplant half, as close to the skin as possible without cutting through. Scoop out the f lesh of each eggplant and place in a medium bowl. Add the cheese, bread crumbs, tomatoes, parsley, garlic, salt, and pepper. Stir to mix. Stuff the mixture tightly into each eggplant half. Drizzle with the oil.
    3. PLACE the eggplant halves in a disposable aluminum foil pan. Set on the grill. Cover and grill for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the eggplant is soft and the top is golden and crisp.

NUTRITION (per serving): 150.4 cal, 5.2 g pro, 21.2 g carb, 9.9 g fiber, 6.5 g fat, 1.4 g sat fat, 243.5 mg sodium

ply, that eggplant recipe sounds good!

Here is a link to a szechuan noodles recipe. I had it last night and replaced the spaghetti with zero noodles and added more veg…shredded carrots and peapods. Also threw in some peanuts for protein. Worked out to 450 calories. Very good!

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/szechuan-noodles-recipe.html

This one sounds good as well. I will replace the lamb with roasted eggplant, so calories should come in at 335.
    http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/moroccan-shepherds-pie-50400000110458/

Ricotta-Parmesan Crustless Pie with Fresh Herbs

This recipe is adapted from one in “The Complete Italian Vegetarian Cookbook” by Jack Bishop.

Mix together:

3 large egg yolks, beaten
    30 oz. (~840 grams) part-skim ricotta
    1/4 cup (70 grams) grated parmesan
    1/4 cup chopped fresh basil (or parsley or dill)
    1 Tablespoon chopped fresh thyme (or sage or rosemary)
    salt and pepper to taste (no much salt is needed, the cheese is plenty salty)

beat the 3 large egg whites until they form stiff peaks, and fold them into the above mixture.

Spray a 10″ deep-dish pie dish with non-stick spray, and scrape the mixture into it.

Bake in a 375F oven for 50 minutes or until golden brown, when a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.

Cool on a cooling rack for an hour before serving. Can be refrigerated for several days and brought to room temperature before serving.

Made six 292-calorie or eight 219-calorie servings; different sizes of eggs and brands of ricotta may have different calorie counts, please do your own calculations with the ingredients you use.

Both my son and I really enjoyed this.

It goes well with roasted asparagus, which you can pop into the oven when the pie comes out:

Clean one large bunch of asparagus (20 calories/100 grams) and snap off the tough ends. Cut into 1.5″ lengths. Toss with 1 teaspoon olive oil (40 calories), salt and pepper. Roast on a sheet pan at 425F for 12 minutes. Toss with a tablespoon of balsamic vinegar (15 calories) and allow to cool to room temperature. Makes at least two servings ~ 50 calories each for an average bunch of asparagus.

Ricotta pie sounds delish, Franfit!

My son and I both really liked it, ply! Beating the egg whites made the texture a lot lighter than that of a previous recipe I tried. And it made enough servings for us to eat it again tomorrow.

My favourite healthy breakfast

Ingredients:

+/- 20 grams of buckwheat flakes
    1 apple
    1 1/2 cup of water

optional: cinnamon, coconut blossom sugar, other fruits, anything you like really

put on a kettle

put the groats in a saucepan on a low fire so they roast a little (just for ewtra flavour)

dice the apple and put it in the microwave for a few minutes (I usually do 2.30 minutes) so the cubes are warm and mushy but not yet apple sauce

When the water is boiling, add to the flakes and turn up the fire. Keep stirring.

Mix it all together in a bowl when the flakes have a consistency you like (usually when the water is pretty much gone. It won’t be a real porridge but that’s one of the things I like about it.

I really like this, I don’t usually add anything else. Sometimes abit of cinnamon or coconut sugar but I like it au natural. Put a fig in it the other day (because one got squished on the way home from the shope) and it was lovely.

I prefer the flavour to regular oats and it fills me up more. I don’t know why.

edit: it comes to about 140 kcal with just the groats and apple.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply.