Ready to give up…

This topic contains 18 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  javaman 10 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

• Hoping someone here can help me, because I find this diet really easy to stick to, but it’s just not giving me what I want.

I started fasting approximately 6-7 months ago (August 2013), doing two days a week. I’ve been consistent with that, except for a week in November when I had a stomach ulcer, and over Christmas. On my fast days, I’ll eat nothing until late afternoon, when I’ll have a small snack (maybe an apple or a carrot). I’ll have a “dinner” meal in the evening, which consists of several raw green veggies and a serve of meat. Also, lots of water, and sugar-free gum to help with the cravings. At one point I tried switching to three days a week, but on the third day was sluggish, super hungry and slow-witted. My reaction times were too slow for me to safely drive, so I returned to two days a week.

I started out at 88kg (167cm 23yo female).

I’m now 88kg.

My weight fluctuates, of course, and seems to tip between 86kg and 89kg.

I have not lost any cm around the waist or thighs. In fact, I don’t fit into my favourite jeans anymore – I had to buy a new pair two sizes up.

I don’t think I exceed my TDEE on my non-fast days, though occasionally (once a month) I find myself binging on junk food.

I exercise regularly: Horse-riding for about 30-45 minutes three or four times a week, walking daily 15-20 minutes. I also practise tennis on my own, about 10 minutes every day, which is quite strenuous.

I suffer from depression and anxiety and take medication for that. I have no other health problems.

I’ve stuck to this diet for longer than any other. I’ve tried everything in my life, and never had any success. I attended a gym for 20 months (it closed last year), and burned approximately 600 calories a day, 6 days a week. I would really like to have results from fasting, because my body doesn’t seem to have any ill effects and it seems to make me more energetic. But I really need to lose weight + fat, and if I don’t have any results soon, I’m not going to be able to keep it up…

Please let me know if you have any suggestions or questions.

oh dear that is so frustrating, there is a posting ‘still no weight loss’ on the forum and you may find that helpful. one of the points on that thread was to have thyroid checked out because an under active thyroid causes weight gain –that is what had happened to me.
    check out the site and other posts under topics, hopefully you will find something helpful.
    have you checked out the HIT exercise regime?

I read your post, and it stayed with me, the feeling of discouragement touched me. A few things occurred to me, do you think you are trying too hard? If something is not fun, us humans tend to stop/drop out. I stopped for a while as I was wrestling with feeling bad the day after. I am experimenting and have been back on for two weeks now and have lost 3 lbs, and I am old, 70!

All the science points to 500 cals being the best for a fast day, your few veggies and apple do not seem much at all. If you are not adding fat and quite a lot of protein. Perhaps too few carbs for your particular body? Your body might really be in starvation/survival mode. You do not say what you eat on feast days.

If you are exercising too much and not enjoying it, plus not getting the food you need, you drive up the stress hormone, cortisol. That puts weight round your middle particularly and is dangerous.

Medication can interfere also, you do not say what you are on. Might be worth reading up on the side effects.

Are you being too tough on yourself? Perhaps you need to be kinder to yourself?

Silly question – You are eating somewhere comfortably between your BMR and your TDEE on non-fastdays aren’t you?

Thanks for the prompt replies. I’ll try to address everything that was raised.

@DoubleHappy: I have seen the other topics on the forum, have read through many of them over the last few months. Only just worked up the courage to post here myself. My doctor has checked my thyroid, in case that was causing the depression, and says that it’s fine. My tennis could be called HIT, since I do that for a short period of time, as hard as I can. My other activities don’t lend themselves to such an approach.

@rabbitfood: First thing I want to say is that I’ve found the 2 and 5 fasting incredibly easy. Unlike other diets, which I can only stick to for a few weeks, I’ve been on this for half a year (even without positive results to keep me going). It’s become my way of life, but I really need to lose some weight as well, and if that means switching methods, well…

I avoid carbs completely on my fast days, based on what I read in the FAQ. I do get a fair amount of protein from meat. I estimate that I eat at least 1500kj (~360 cal) on my fast days. I also drink several cups of tea (low-fat milk, no sugar). My medication (escitalopram) does not list weight gain as a side effect. I enjoy the exercise I currently do, it doesn’t feel overly strenuous. Due to my anxiety, I feel stressed a lot of the time – though usually because of my weight and body image!

@rabbitfood and TracyJ: I have calculated the following.

Your BMI is: 31.2
    Your BMR is: 1654 cal (~7000kj)
    Your TDEE is: 2274 cal (~9500kj)

My typical non-fast day:
    Breakfast – ~1000kj
    Lunch – ~1500 – 3000kj
    Afternoon tea – ~1500kj
    Dinner – ~1500 – 2000kj
    Snacks – ~1500kj (total over the day)

Which comes to about 9000 kj (2150 cal) per day. I think I have a lot of potatoes, rice, meat, and dairy. I stick to low-fat milk and cheese. I always feel like I’m eating too much, and often feel guilty after eating, especially if I’m indulging a sweet tooth.

Can anyone see any blatant issues with what I’m eating?

Hi…you say you have lots of potatoes, rice and dairy…the potatoes and rice are very high carbs. Low carb Higher fat is better than the other way round. Maybe try cutting back on these for a week or two to see if that helps. You also seem to be eating right up to your TDEE on non fast days – while this is usually fine, the other thing to try is pulling back a bit or use an app to record the exact amount of cal/kj you are having to be sure you are within the TDEE figure.
    Also as has been suggested, check the side effects of your medication and that sugar free gum which can contain additives and sweeteners which can also interfere with weight loss.

Mostly stop feeling guilty and try not to stress. this is a new way of eating it isn’t supposed to be a hardship and it isn’t a ‘test’ you have to pass so please stop being so hard on yourself…that may be part of the problem.

xx

I also think it is the high carbs that is stopping the weightloss. You are probably still benefiting from the health benefits. But it’s those carbs that will stop any weightloss. I bet you will lose if you lower the carbs while you lose a bit then add in unprocessed carbs back when you are the your weight. If you eat bread that will also have a bad affect I think.
    Try it a bit longer and let us know how you get on? Good luck. 🙂

^^ i second the high carbs and the fact that you are eating right up to your TDEE. If you do not measure your calorie intake absolutely accurate it is very easy in your case to go over your TDEE (as you are eating right up to it)

I have realised that stuff that I did not consider to be “calories”, such as salad dressings, ketchup…have quite a lot of calories! Also the very occassional cookie that I did not log…had up to 80cal each!

Perhaps you can try to replace your potatoes with some green veggies?

I really hope you can find a way to turn things around as losing weight would give you a boost.
    Best of luck
    Stef.

Let me just clarify, my daily intake was a range for several meals. It would usually be lower than 9000 kj (2150 cal) per day. Since very little of my food comes in packages with nutritional information, I can’t accurately calculate my intake.

How much carbohydrate should a person eat per day? I’ve done some quick research without finding a number. I estimate I’m eating anywhere between 150-200 grams per day of carbohydrates. I’ll try reducing that, though I’m not sure what I’ll be having instead at lunchtime… just having veggies at lunch would be more like a fast day than a non-fast day.

Thanks for all your help, I’ll stick with it a little longer to see if there’s any change. I have also been told that stress/anxiety causes weight gain, but as I said, I have an anxiety disorder and a day of “moderate” stress would be a good day for me.

Hi, I watched the Horizon programme on BBC2 last night, it was very interesting about carbohydrates, proteins and fats. I was left with more open ideas about balance. We humans are omnivores and I think the balance that suits is very individual. If you want to know what the content of the food is http://www.myfitnesspal.com is very good and free.

I think you are possibly right re the anxiety. Perhaps concentrating on fasting with the 500 cals on fast days for just health benefits, not weighing yourself and eating moderately whatever your body seems to want on other days (well last night said sugar + fat was not good, it was the combo!) would be helpful for a while?

Anything that relaxes you would be good, sleep is very important they say, in weight loss. How hard and how often you exercise can either strengthen you or stress you. If you are doing ‘hard’ exercise every day you may not be allowing recovery. If I remember correctly, Michael only did the HIIT once a week – though I think he does it twice now.

I think my body has its own wisdom but I do not always hear its small voice or ignore it, then wonder why it rebels!

Kind regards

@chilligriffin – virtually none of my food comes in packs with nutritional information which is why I use an app to track calories. Even if I don’t use it all the time I can still enter a weight and get the calorie value of anything I’m not sure of. All you need is the name of the food and the weight of what you are about to eat.
    There are many apps on line to do this …I don’t know of any that record in kilojoules – I use calories – but I’m sure someone on here knows of one. These will also give you the macros i.e. the proportions of carbs/protein/fats/sugars in each item/amount.
    You don’t have to just have veggies on a non fast day, you can have protein – meat, fish, eggs – just hold back a bit on the REFINED carbs like bread/potatoes/pasta/rice. Maybe try replacing half the refined carbs with a bit more veg – cauliflower and brocolli make a good substitute and keep your calorie intake down too.
    Forget about weighing too often until your body gets used to this new way of eating and it should all come OK in time.
    5:2 isn’t a quick fix, it’s a complete change of attitude to food and eating.

xx

Hi ChilliGriffin, I think I tend to agree with Rabbitfood. This mystery is probably stressing you out more than you were to start with. As long as you make sure to eat more than your BMR on non-fastdays, I think I’d just do the 2 500 Kcal days a week and try not to stress about the rest of it.

I think you stated earlier that you felt like you were overeating on non-fastdays and that you were actually kind of having to force yourself to eat. Well, just don’t do that. Be sure to eat enough to take you over your BMR but beyond that don’t worry about it.

As far as carbs are concerned, I don’t think it’s a big issue – I like rice, bread & pasta etc myself and haven’t cut them out on 5:2. Just be aware of not having more than one or two carby food types per day I’d say (toast for brekkie, veggie pasta bake for dinner – that kind of thing) and tend towards meat, veggies and pulses wherever you can. I agree that you shouldn’t worry too much about cutting out fat, some fats are good for you and any natural fat has to be better for you than the synthesised, chemical rich ‘spreads’ and fat free cheese & other dairy products available. God knows what’s replacing the fat in those things but I’d bet good money that whatever it is is worse for you than naturally occurring fat.

Myfitnesspal is a fantastic app to track your calorie intake and it gives you the nutritional values of what you are eating.

I would rigorously track everything you put in your mouth so you can see where you go wrong. If you do the 5:2 in combination with not eating above your TDEE on your feed days you should lose weight.

The only times I have seen people not lose weight was if they built muscles by working out a lot or by underestimating their calorie intake.

Best of luck
    Stef.

Another month on…

Thanks for all the replies; I only just saw the latest ones, so I’m sorry for not replying sooner.

@sylvestra: I wasn’t expecting a quick fix, but it’s been eight months, and I know other people are responding faster than that.

Still absolutely nothing moving, on the scales or the waistline. I increased the amount of exercise I’m doing, and cut out all the extras on my fast days – now it’s just a serve of meat and some veggies. I’ll consider using an app to count calories, but I have tried in the past and always hate them – either I can’t remember to use them or I get depressed by the numbers it spits out. Right now it’s all I can think of, however.

I had a look at the Fast Diet Recipe Book, but was seriously put off by it – there was nothing in there that seemed even remotely appetising. I don’t eat eggs or fish, and the recipes all seemed very complicated. My biggest question – if bread/potatoes/rice are refined carbs, then where are plain carbs to be found?

I went to the doctor again and had a full blood test done. I’m slightly anaemic again (now taking iron tablets), but otherwise very healthy (sugar levels normal, thyroid function normal, vitamin levels normal). There’s not anything obvious that’s stopping me from losing weight, but I haven’t stopped dieting in about four years, and every single time, *nothing happens*.

As I mentioned, I suffer from depression and my weight is one of my biggest triggers. As much as I wish I could be happy with myself or stop worrying about it, that’s just not possible.

Hi ChilliGriffin, I’m sorry it’s taking so long and been such a struggle for you so far. I have another silly question for you though. You detailed all your exercise in the first post and it seems pretty good but I’m not sure what the calorie burn would be for horse riding, I know it helps to build muscle and tone but is it actually a high calorie burning exercise?

I’m just thinking, that although I’m sure I’d fall over and die if I did 3 45min horse rides in one week, if you’re actually used to it and have the muscle already built for it – is it a ctually going to count as ‘3 doses of strenuous exercise’?

It does seem like you’re doing everything right, from what you’ve said, with the 5:2, so all I can think is that your body is so used to riding that it just doesn’t count as exercise anymore. Maybe you need to ‘shock’ it with something different? I know you’ve said you walk a lot and you mentioned 10 minutes of tennis practice. The tennis practice is probably the most cardio intensive though, maybe you could up the time on that or do 2 sessions a day instead of 1, see if that pushes your body out of its comfort zone? Maybe get yourself an aerobics DVD or something and make a bit of a tit of yourself in the livingroom a couple of times a week? I know you’ve tried the gym before without success but I think you said that that was pre-5:2, so it might make a difference now.

Just some thoughts & ideas. Do keep going with 5:2 though. As you’ve said it is a good lifestyle for you, gives you energy and your bloods are showing you as healthy other than being slightly anaemic.

I do hope you don’t lose heart with it – it is annoying but you’re pretty fit from the sound of it and pretty healthy according to your bloods. You’re better off than a lot of people and you are aware of and care about your body and health. I hope you can find the positives for now and that you have some success with the weight loss you want in the future.

All the best – TJ

Dear chiligirl,

So sorry to hear that your weigth and inches do not budge. I know how discouraging that can be. I want however to share some tips that I hope may help you

1 if possible make yout own food from scratch and try to use natural ingredients ( potatoes that you boil, ovencooked chicken breast and steamed broccoli)
    2: when filling your plate, 2/4 should be filles with veggies, 1/4 with chicken, meat or fish and 1/4 with potatoes,rice or pasta
    3: make sure you drink enough water
    4: when exercising try one day with cardio exercises. The exercise should last for at least 30 mi. And you should be able to talk when exercising. One day should include exercises that builds muscles, llift weight, use the a rowing machine or use a kettlebell as muscles are great for burning fat. Then one day should be intervall training ( for example try to run on a teeadmill using the following program : 5 min walking pace , 5 min running light , then 20 *45 sec where you up the pace with to clicks each time a total of 20 times.after each 45 sec pause for 15 sec by standing on the side of the treadmill,then end the program with walking briskly for 5-10 min.
    5: the other days don’t exercise as your body needs to recover, but move around (take the stairs instead of the elevator, if you have an office job try to work standing for 30 min a day, park the car the furthest from the shops entrance, etc etc

Great hugs, please don’t give up

Hi chilligriffin,
    Don’t give up! I have problems losing weight but this fasting works for me.

Weigh and record everything on myfitnesspal for one week, do not exceed TDEE

Accept that exercise helps you get fit but may not actually help with weight loss.

Wear a pedometer and do 10,000 steps every day

Drink water and fruit or herbal teas

Eat only fresh food.

It will work, have faith, be positive, get a fasting buddy

Hi Chilli, I bought an electric food scales the other day and actually started weighing out portions of pasta, rice, seeds, meat, cereal, fruits like bananas and things like avocados. I thought my portion sizes were accurate but they were double and a bit. 30g portion of wholewheat pasta is tiny and not what I’ve been putting on my plate!

I don’t know if you weigh your foods but it might help you get a handle on the carbs and calories in refined foods. You can use google to search the nutrition of anything in any weight. I’m the same age as you and in the past have never lost weight sensibly. I’d say since childhood I’ve been eating adult portions. I really hope this helps because it opened my eyes.

Aily
    xx

If you’re not losing weight then the calorie input is still too much. This was my case and then I did 4:3 which worked great.

If still no progress then need to do 1:1 (ADF) as studied by Varady who is mentioned in the book. This should be fail proof.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply.