One year on 5:2

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Merryme 8 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

• After a year on 5:2 I thought I would post about my experience.
    I started in late January 2015 as I had got past the excess food of Xmas and my birthday.
    I made really good progress and also got two work colleagues involved as well.
    One of the biggest helps was using the My Fitness Pal app. This helped keep my eating under control on my non fast days.
    The weight started to come off after a couple of months and by August I had lost 26 pounds.
    I had a bit of a struggle getting back on track after my summer holiday but eventually managed to shift another 6 pounds by November.
    Then came Xmas, I cut myself a bit of slack for December and ended up after 12 months with a total weight loss of 27 pounds.
    So now I’m looking to get back on track and shift some more weight.
    Looking back I would say 5:2 is the only thing I’ve done after a lifetime of struggling with my weight that has actually worked.
    Positives:
    I eat much less than I used to and find it easier to say no to bad food.
    There is nothing I have cut out of my diet, just don’t eat bad stuff so often.
    I have dropped my jeans and T shirt size and can actually by stuff off the peg from more shops than I ever could.
    Had to buy a smaller belt after making three new holes in my old one.
    I had a well man check at my Doctors and all the potential killers like Blood pressure and cholesterol levels are down compared to last year.
    I now walk at least 40-60 minutes a day, I also quit the gym when I started 5:2 so I’m saving money by going for walks.

Negatives
    Fast day menus can become a bit repetitive.
    Sometimes on a Fast Day I find it hard to sleep, I cured this by holding back some calories until 9 p.m. but it makes the days seem longer.
    Some Fast Days I find it a struggle to get motivated to go for a walk or do any activity.

Conclusion
    It’s the best thing I’ve ever done to lose weight and I never feel like I’m “on a diet”
    I’m 57 and probably healthier than I have been in the last 20 years.

So very encouraging just to know you could do it for a whole year.

GOOD FOR YOU! I hope to one day say I’ve been able to follow your example!

Well done 2 BigAl, congratulations!

I’m 16 mths in,

Positives:
    16kgs/35lbs, with no exercise due to chrocic health challenge,
    reduced medication,
    better health,
    bit better mobility not having to carry the extra weight,
    no more yearly round of cardiac checks,
    dropped 2 sizes,
    in normal weight range now,
    Have learnt a lot about how some foods affect me e.g. even eating under TDEE on non-fast days I plaueau if I eat starchy carbs i.e. Any grains or foods from grains, potatoes, and sugar.
    6kgs to goal weight, then will maybe drop another 2 over the following year.

Negatives:
    Umm………
    eating early on a FD wakens the Hunger Dragon

Other stuff:
    i don’t drink carbs except a splash of milk in a coffee.
    1 meal after 6pm on FDs
    Eat 16:8 on nonFDs i.e. Eat after 12 noon and don’t eat after 8pm
    Change my TDEE as the weight goes down, and have 1/4 of this on FDs.
    Low cal low Glycaemic Index foods for fruit and veg, lowest cal proteins are staples.
    I intend to make this a way of life, will just up cals on nonFDs. My body and mind feel good on 5:2, but I think 1 FD a week will be harder for me, so better to stay in my Mon Thur pattern.

5:2 works so well for me I intend to do it for life

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply.