OK, Newbie here – gonna try FAST DAY Monday – anyone with ideas or advice ?

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Welcome to The Fast Diet and Exercise forums
OK, Newbie here – gonna try FAST DAY Monday – anyone with ideas or advice ?

This topic contains 13 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Cynthia133 5 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

• Thanks ahead !

So, I’ve been pretty good about doing 16/8 routine but eat earlier if I get hungry, so haven’t conquered that. Generally have a cuppa coffee with 1/2 and 1/2 in the morning and could try to just eat barely what is needed through the day to stave off the hypoglycemic kind of hunger that I get (non-diabetic, gratefully!). Then wd have 400-500 cals for dinner w husby.

Could also chomp on green stuff all day, that’s plenty little calories – like celery etc.
    Drink perrier and other water types, tea.

Other ideas ? THANKS !

Best to all of you : )

Ah-tee

Ah-tee,

Welcome! As a person who has been eating this way for nearly 2 years! Here is my best advice for you first day…..
    Not to scare you but to give you an idea but also help you through it……

1. Don’t give up! Your first day will be the hardest. I promise it does get easier!
    2. Make your fast days busy.
    Your belly is going to be very vocal for the first couple fasts. That’s because your not listening to it. My belly is the most demanding part of my body, but it has to get used to a new pattern of eating. If the rumbling gets to loud, drink water or chew some gum!
    Gum is my best friend……
    As your body becomes accustomed to this way of eating, it will stop grumbling!
    3. No matter what the temp is outside bring a sweater with you…. you may feel cold! This shall pass too!
    4. A headache may happen, I take a potassium pill everyday which is helpful but a warm glass of water with some salt is a great help!

All these symptoms will pass….Remember your asking your body to do something that you’ve never done before, so, give it time to adjust! These passed for me about my 3rd fast.

Here’s is what I consume on my FD as an example…

I’m a coffee lover, just a warning!

My fast begins at 7:00pm
    My am hours begin with coffee…. Normally 3 cups with sweet n low and 4 tablespoons in total of fat free half and half….
    8oz water with my potassium pill..
    I did some research and it states that consuming no more than 50 calories keeps your body in a fasted state….
    water, water and more water….
    I break my fast anywhere between 12:30pm and 1pm.
    At this time I consume no more than 75 calories
    It tends to be lower calorie fruits and veggies and my diet soda
    Then water, water and more water…
    I get out of work about 5pm… then I’ll have a couple of coffee or two
    Dinner….I in the beginning counted every calorie, I highly recommend this until you find your grove but I just eat what is made…. plus my diet soda
    Another cup of coffee,
    Sometimes a snack sometime not depending on my mood…..
    ending my eating period at 7 pm…

On non fast days…..at least in the beginning
    I fasted still between 7pm and 12:30 and stuck to under my TDEE which around 1200 calories….

I also belong to an awesome support group….. stop by and check us out…. It’s called the May 2018 challenge or click on my name and you can read my story!

I hope this helps!

Bert

Your response to Ah-tee is brilliant.
    Simple and straightforward advice based on your own experience put across in a positive manner.

I’ve never taken potassium but have been known to stick my finger in the salt pot when a headache has loomed on FDs.

Good luck Ah-tee. 5:2 works but it is a bit of a shock to our body at first. My biggest issue had always been wanting to eat when I’m not hungry so I would add, keep busy on FDs.

Hello all!! New to IT, but determined to improve my health, and lose weigh. I was planning on having plant protein shakes (500 cal. 80 grams protein) on fast days. Will this work? Thanks in advance

Good aunt……

If I can be honest, don’t do the shakes. Here’s a couple reasons

In the long run, they are not substanable.
    You’ll get bored quickly with them
    The are also high in things that make you want to eat. Sugar to name one!
    You’ll crave the eating process too!

Believe me…. been there done that!

There are tons of food, you can eat and enjoy under 500 calories and so many new things to try.

Ultimately, the best thing about this WOL you can tailor to suit you!

Just imagine…. for lunch

3 cups of lettuce, 1/2 a cake cumber, 1 small tomato,and 20 raspberries with 2 tablespoon of Kraft Lite Zesty Italian dressing.

All for 110 calories

Dinner, tea time or supper…. depend on where you are in the world

4oz chicken breast and 1 small potato marinated in Zesty lite
    1cup of broccoli

All for……..400 calories

Or to get the most bang for your buck
    This one I do all the time especially on FD that I feel very hungry on or can’t get food out my brain…. lol

1 tangerine……..35
    1/4 broccoli with cheese……50
    1 low fat yogurt……..80

1 cups of homemade chicken soup…..chicken, carrots, celery and onion only…..50
    30 raspberries………30

10 slices of pepperoni………100
    1 lite mozzarella cheese stick……..70

1 tangerine……35
    1 package of pre cut apple…….25

1 Hershey Kiss………..25

All for 500 calories

Whatever you decide to do, this diet is one you can tailor to suit your needs. If the shake thing doesn’t work, just keep the diet aspect just change you approach.
    Even an airplane has to circle around if there first approach doesnt work!

Everyone here has a different approach, it not a one size fits all…..this is just mine

Best wishes!

Hi @ah-tee, Great advice here on this forum, and many different techniques that work. I do things a little differently, because I find that I get waaaaaaay too hungry if I don’t have fat in my diet. I also feel deprived. I couldn’t possibly do this on a low-fat diet.

I’m over 50 and pretty sedentary (although that’s changing!) so I eat between my BMR and TDEE calories on eating days. A typical eating day is three slices of bacon and 2 eggs topped with a little salsa, and coffee with full cream. Avocado with cottage cheese and a handful of pistachio nuts and a few olives for lunch. For dinner a huge salad with sunflower and pumpkin seeds, and veggies and a steak on the grill. For desert I have a cup of berries with homemade whipped cream, or a square of dark chocolate. (Or sometimes both! 🙂 ). I don’t have cravings at all. At. all.

Then on fast days I have coffee, tea and water. I’ll sometimes have full cream in my coffee in the afternoon if I feel I need it. I find fast days much easier this way and I could sustain this WOE forever. I’ve lost 25 pounds (I have a lot to lose) in a fairly short time, and feel very happy and energetic. I also don’t feel the need to “cheat,” which is remarkable. I find it easy and I actually look forward to my fast days.

You’re getting lots of good advice. You’ll just have to try various methods and find what works best for you.

@goodaunt, I think you should go ahead and try what you think will work and adjust as you need to. If doing shakes on fast days is easier for you, and gets you started, then go for it! There’s no perfect way of eating that works for everyone.

You may in time decide to substitute other foods for one of the shakes…or not, whatever. It doesn’t really matter if we think something will work or won’t, your body is going to give you excellent and accurate feedback about how you should eat. You just need to tune in and really listen to it. The important thing is to begin, then allow yourself the leeway to adjust if necessary.

What I will tell you is a secret that I have discovered. If this is too hard, then change something. Don’t try to muscle through and make yourself do a certain thing. It absolutely takes commitment, but it should not be arduous. If it is, you need to adjust something. Maybe more or less calories on eat days or fast days. Maybe you need to eat breakfast, or stop eating breakfast. Maybe more fat or less protein or less carbs or more veggies or less sugar–something like that. If you’re doing it right, you should be able to fall into a fairly comfortable rhythm and find yourself content that your new healthy WOE is sustainable.

Thanks so much for your replies and inspiration. I m determined to make this work

Thank you, Bert !

Interesting to start FD at 7pm the “night before”. Thinking I could get us to eat early tonight, and then start FD at that hour, then take FD until the same hour and still have dinner tomorrow. Was actually thinking of just keep cals as low as possible until dinner time and then eat nearly usual. Great option !I

I’ve also been thinking I might just stay on the 16/8 as often as I can on NFDs.

Thanks for all the other tidbits as well !

Ah-tee

Oh, I get it – I can reply to multiple people and then hit SUBMIT, cool ! SO …….. : )

Amazon – Yah, sounds similar to getting onto Ketogenics and does have some similitude, doesn’t it . I’m exceited about tomorrow, yes keep busy ! Thanks : )

Goodaunt – I might just do that, have a shake I like …. Yeah, Bert I agree with what you’re saying here.

One thing that a recent look at the NOOM site gave me – Look at foods in terms of Calorie Density. Naturally, green vegetables, watermelon, other fruits and vegies (also NONfat dairy) contain a whole lot more volume than calories, comparied to things like nuts, dried fruit cf fresh, high fat and protein entities. So I learned to eat mostly what they called “green” foods w low cal density. Next most, their “yellow” foods, like eggs, also IPA, LOWfat dairy etc with medium cal density. Then the least of “red’ foods – i.e., candy, full cream, meat, fish, chocolate, butter etc. They actually spaced these out in terms of % total daily cals – at 30% Green, 45% Yellow and 25%Red.

So, I might just eat a lot of cabbage, greens other fruits and vegies and watch the cals. That should give me eating process Bert is mentioning – very important, yes !

Oh Bert, another wonderful list of tips ! THANK YOU !!!! yah luv the airplane analogy !

Hi Onlyhermes – Sounds like you’ve had some experience w ketogenics ! Thanks for your good words. I think I’ll really love this for reasons that you’ve mentioned. Great advice. Big Help. Thanks 🙂

Goodaunt – Yes, you will make this work – I can feel it !!!

Thanks all, so glad I found this site !
    Good luck to all , hope you’ve got some sunshine like we do now : )

Ah-tee

Wow, simcoeluv – that is really great and it was YOU ! You’ve been doing this for quite a while.
    Wonderful, thanks for this : )
    Ah-tee

The most important thing to do on your FD is to stick to 500 calories, so from when you get out of bed in the morning until you go to bed at night, no more than 500 calories.

This is amazing advice! I am starting this program and tomorrow will be my first FD. I am a bit worried that I’ll (a) overeat, (b) give up or (c) both.
    It’s nice there’s a support network. Thank you.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply.