Obese man with uric acid problem needs diet advice for cutting?

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
Obese man with uric acid problem needs diet advice for cutting?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  simcoeluv 8 years ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• Hi,

I have been obese and very inactive my entire life, not to mention i used to eat a lot of carbs, hence became more obese!

It seems I have very stubborn fat, i can’t lose it, tried cutting many times in the past but the weight loss plateaued for a long time.

Anyway from the start of this year i have been practicing more self discipline and lost around 30 lbs more by a combination of:

-Intermittent fasting 5 days a week [1 cheat day]

-Some cardio like brisk walking [4-5x per week] for 30 minutes

Stats:

Male
    33 years
    5 ft 8″
    220 lbs currently

Fasts usually lasts for 21 hours daily, and i used to eat 2 high protein meals mostly consisting of ground beef or chicken [200-300gm, for 2 months] with some vegetables and mayo [1-2 tbsp].

This was working great until i got my renal functioning tested and got the news that my uric acid has become very high 9.2.

Doc asked me to immediately stop eating animal protein, and start eating legumes and vegetables.

Upon consuming such foods as chick peas and beans along with mix vegetables, my weight loss has slowed tremendously.

I have also noticed strength loss via hand gripper and dropped energy levels.

Please can anyone advice me how to use primarily vegan diet to lose weight and preserve whatever strength and muscle i have by eating more vegan protein but not the carbs that come with it.

I would appreciate it more if you provide suggestions with real foods, not the protein drinks/bars.

Thank you very much.

It would be very unusual for a vegan to be lacking in protein (despite what fans of dead animals may tell you) but if you’re struggling for inspiration you could do worse than buy The Great Vegan Protein Book. It’s VERY good.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Great-Vegan-Protein-Book-Protein-Based/dp/1592336434

You really shouldn’t be lacking in strength or energy either. Vegans are just as fit and strong as carnivores.

Thank you for replying.

Actually the problem for me is the protein to carb ratio n lentils.

For e.g. 1 cup [184g] of red beans contains 43g protein but 110g carbs! And carbs hinder my weightloss greatly.
    http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/legumes-and-legume-products/4296/2

Any suggestions to get good amount of protein with very few carbs?

Hi amike:

Just a question.

Why the focus on protein? Excess protein causes high uric acid and is unhealthy for those experiencing kidney failure. I understand limiting purine content is important, but there is a lot of purine in beans and peas!

If I had your problem I would be eating only small amounts of protein (you really don’t need much) and increasing my fat intake by eating more olive and coconut oils. You can use them in dressings or sauté your veggies in them.

Good Luck!

Based on my limited research, apparently i need protein to minimize muscle loss while losing weight, hence the focus. But if there is a better way i’m willing to hear and change.

Hi amike:

I gave you my suggestion. High fat, some protein. You don’t need a lot of protein to preserve muscle. And, if you have kidney disease, you probably would rather lose some muscle than lose a kidney.

If you don’t have kidney disease, you probably don’t have a problem. High uric acid is common in overweight individuals: http://www.mayoclinic.org/symptoms/high-uric-acid-level/basics/definition/sym-20050607. Only your doctor can tell you whether you have a serious problem or not.

Here are some tips: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/the-basics-for-newbies-your-questions-answered/

Good Luck!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply.