Not working for me

This topic contains 14 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  fasting_me 6 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

• I have been on the 5.2 since 1/10/18 I am doing everything correct I don’t understand pants still tight ughhhh so its been 43 days ..Shouldd I give up?

I have been on the 5.2 since 1/10/18 I am doing everything correct I don’t understand pants still tight ughhhh so its been 43 days ..Should I give up

Hi Black:

If you have not lost any weight after 43 days, you are not doing everything correct.

What are you doing? How many calories are you eating on your diet days? How many calories are you eating on your non diet days?

Please let us know so we can give some advice.

Hi thanks for the response …Well I usually do Mon and Wed fast on those days definitely keep it below 600 and drink at least 64 ounces of water ….
    I didn’t weigh myself hate the scale I am 6’2 I would say I was 260 I was doing the clothes thing …Should have weighed myself ugh I know my face thinned out A little bit…
    Anyway I am not going to give up ….Ill way myself Tues Morning after a fast day and take it from there Thanks again

In addition to what simcoluv said, what type of calories are you eating on you Fast days as well as on your Slow days? Lots of lean protein? lots of vegetables? lots of whole fruit? Go easy on the pasta and white rice. Avoid snacks. See how that works.
    Why do you hate the scale? Would you like it better if it gave you good news? You are in charge of that, not the scales.
    Good luck, BLACK.

I’m frustrated as well. I’m 54, 5’3 and 139 pounds. I’ve been doing B2B into my third week now and week one was great. I lost 3 pounds right away and 3 other pounds with 5:2 before that. But nothing in the past two weeks. I keep strictly to under 450 calories on fasting days and eat about 2000 cals of very healthy foods on non fast days, sticking to plants , lean meats, and yogurt. I don’t consume added sugar and avoid high gluten and GI foods. It’s a mystery why it stopped. I was really looking forward to two pounds a week as B2B is pretty challenging to maintain.

sT,
    I’ve just calculated your TDEE assuming you are female and used lightly active as your exercise level. It gives a figure of 1649 calories which means you are eating at least 350 calories more than you need on non fast days.
    If your lifestyle is sedentary your TDEE would be 1440 which would mean you are eating 560 calories more than you need.
    The fact that you say you eat “about 2000 calories” suggests to me that you aren’t counting so I suggest you count calories every day for a few weeks, ensure you don’t eat more than your TDEE, try to eat healthily ie cut right back on sugar and carbs and you should see a loss.

Bear in mind that everyone over-estimates how much exercise they do and that whilst it is great for fitness and toning, it doesn’t contribute much to weight loss.

Good luck.

s’Town,

I don’t know whether you’re male or female but whichever, you appear to be consuming too many calories on your non-fast days. 2000 is a lot for someone of your age, height and weight.

Have you looked at the ‘How to do the diet’ resources, and the TDEE/BMI calculator in particular?

Try reducing calories on non-fast days and you should start seeing results.

Spunk, try eating fewer calories on Slow Days. 2000 — did you calculate that as your TDEE or are you going with that as the ‘standard’ daily calorie intake? Your Slow Day meals might be very healthy, but try eating 1700-1800 calories on a Slow Day and I think that the weight will drop. I have found that the longer you are on the Fast Diet, the less it takes to make you feel full. Over time, 1800 calories will feel like a feast!
    Good luck to you.
    How’s it going, Black?

Thanks for the help

On fast days I don’t even the 600 calories On the other days During the week fine under 2K Cal its the weekends plus add booze into the pic
    I mean when I saw that Mosley documentary he was taking down burgers shakes etc….So the part about eating anything on those days is False
    Again no quitter lets see what happens this month

Black, I’ve been known to eat cake, croissants, and restaurant meals with wine on Slow Days. But not every Slow Day. 2000 is a lot of calories for a Slow Day, unless you are exceedingly active. No, you can’t really ‘eat anything you want’ on a Slow Day for now. After a while you will want to eat less on a Slow Day just because you have less appetite.
    Glad you want to keep going. good attitude.

In the docco you mention – “Eat, Fast, Live Longer”, where MM looked at various types of eating and fasting for better health, they did show him eating a burger, but it wasn’t on 2 fast days per week. This happened when he spoke to Dr Krista Varady about her alternate day fasting trial, which MM tried. Dr Varady’s findings were that you can eat whatever you want on the “feed” days providing you fast under 500 cal every second day. That’s a bit different to 2 FDs per week.
    If you read MMs book on 5:2 he does say that he eats normal family meals on the NFDs and he rarely eats lunch on those days, which I imagine helps keep his calorie level moderate on NFDs.

We don’t eat lunch on Slow Days. Used to, but don’t need it now. If we sometimes go out for lunch, we skip dinner.

Thanks to all who responded! So looks like my calorie count was way off my TDEE. I am going to use my Fitbit app to track the slow days and keep it under and see if that helps. I don’t eat unhealthy food very often and definitely feel better on the 5:2. My goal is back under 130 and maintain. Definitely attainable and sustainable. My eighty- four yo mother has used this for years and is going strong!

Spunk, I too use FitBit to record what I eat. But do not be enticed by their ‘you have 350 calories remaining.’ Since they know how many calories you have burned, they incorrectly count that to say that you have more calories left to eat than you should eat. Count your 500-600 calories and ignore the calories burned. It is very good to burn calories, but don’t subtract them from your intake. this leads people to say “Wow! I ate -1000 calories yesterday!” Not so. Just curious — what is your TDEE? Mine was 1450, but then I shrank a little so now its 1390.
    Good for your mom!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply.