Not much to lose – does this still work for weightloss?

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
Not much to lose – does this still work for weightloss?

This topic contains 14 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  simcoeluv 7 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

• I’m a new faster – and so far, so good with two fast days down. I have been struggling to lose 5kg for 2 years. Its a small amount, but I have become very frustrated and was developing yo yo dieting habits which mess with my mind. If I can find a routine, or way of life that stops me from having to waste all this energy and thought being obsessed with my weight – it would be a god send. Can I please ask other members who only have a small amount (5kg or approx 10 pounds) to lose, to please comment on how 5-2 worked for them, and how long it took to see results. I would really appreciate comments.

Thank you!

Hi
    My goal was only to loose 14lb and still found it comes off…..now 10lb down 🙂 BUT I have to be quite controlled on feast days (about 1200 cals)
    If I really feast then I only ever maintain.

It’s a great lifestyle to get into so best of luck 🙂

Hi,
    I’ve been trying to lose 10lbs for the last two years. I’d lose a few pounds and then put them back on…. classic yoyo’er!

I started the 5:2 diet three weeks ago and have lost 5lbs so far. I was 8st 10 and am 8st 5 now. I also exercise, run 3 miles once a week and do a spin class I have found the diet so easy to do even with 2 young boys to look after.

I didn’t have a lot to lose but for the first time in two years I truly believe I can get down to my desired weight of 8stone!

Become concerned if you do not lose any weight in about 6 weeks. It didn’t go on quickly, it doesn’t come off quickly. The 5:2 works as a diet but it is meant as a lifestyle for long life and is really a long haul solution. If you want quick try Adkins or some other quick fix. (which you will probably gain back when you get off of the quick fix)

Water is the key – at least 2 litres of water on fast days – and eating 4 hours apart is also important – to allow insulin response to work on resistant body fat cells – eating 4 hours apart on feast days is useful to allow momentum to build for converting insulin resistant body fat cells

Hi,

I’ve been on the 5:2 for 5 weeks now but the last few weeks I have actually gained 300gr instead of loosing.
    i am quite active and stick to the basic principle of 2 days at 500calories and 5 days of normal eating.
    i do’t usually drink alcohol and have noticed that my body has stopped craving snacks on my normal days so i could definitely say I have 95% good eating habits.
    i drink lots of water and go to the gym 3 times a week, I don’t have a car so I walk a lot…however…it has been 2 weeks now of not losing but actually gaining.
    I have to say I successfully tried the slimming world diet but due to lifestyle changes it doen’t work for me anymore.
    I am trying to lose 5kg, so not a lot but I seem to be stuck now.
    Help please!
    The first 3 weeks have been really good

Amia, I have a lot more to lose than you, but about 5 weeks in I actually gained 2 lbs. I was doing everything right. My weight then held firm for 2 more weeks then it dropped 3 lbs the next week and this week it dropped four lbs. My advise is patience. As I said in my earlier post this is a lifestyle, not a race. I started on 5:2, but switched to 4:3 because of the amount of weight I needed to lose. (80+ lbs) when I started the Fast Diet. You might follow the post of wiltldnrUSA of which there are many. He has done an incredible amount of research. Making use of his research will save you a lot of time. May you be successful and God bless you.

I also have about 5kg total to lose and have now been doing the diet successfully for a couple of weeks, down almost 2kg. I don’t know that this is necessarily all that meaningful as I can lose 2-3 kg quickly on almost any diet, it’s losing the next 2-3, and keeping it off, that is the more elusive goal! I am guessing my weight loss will slow soon, as all the “quick” water/bloating weight, etc. has now worked its way out. I’m hoping to have the rest of the weight off by the end of November, which allows for some slowing or plateauing. I’ll be curious to hear how the plan works out for you.

I do try to avoid going crazy with eating on the non-fast days, which I think is important. My strategy is basically 2 days of fasting, 4 days of “sensible” eating (i.e., lots of fruit and veg, healthy home cooking, maybe some sweets but a small portion), and then 1 day where I might eat out or have a really decadent dessert, though again, I don’t completely pig out. I also keep pretty active: walk everywhere, take the stairs, and then do 3-5 dedicated high intensity workouts each week.

I needed to lose only 10 lbs. (5kg) and managed it quickly in about 7 weeks on a 5-2 diet plus regular exercise. I continue to follow the 5-2 plan for weight maintenance–oddly, however, my weight loss has stopped now that I have reached my goal weight. Perhaps this is a sign that I’ve reached the proper weight for my body.

I am not ‘medically’ overweight, but I feel best when 10lbs lighter. In the past I have been able to lose this weight through a lot of hard work, but i have not been able to maintain. I’ve been doing 5:2 for about six weeks now, am down 5lbs, which is great, and I have adjusted so the ‘fast’ days are no big deal. However, I have had weeks when I have actually put on a pound or two, due probably to feasting a bit more than I should. I conclude that for those of us with less amounts to lose, what you do in the ‘normal’ days makes a big difference. My goal now is to pay more attention to intake on non-fast days.
    I will be most interested to see over the coming year whether this method helps me not only lose all the weight I desire, but if it really helps me to maintain in the long term. That’s my goal. Anyone else in a similar situation? Miranda

For me the answer is a resounding ‘yes’. I’m very small and started with a BMI of 22. Now I am 4-5 kg lighter and my BMI is 20. I reckon that I am about as light as I should go. There has been a marked loss of subcutaneous fat and there are now not many areas of my body where you can grab it.

I am active and in the past I have used / tried to use exercise alone to control my weight. Now that I am over 60 this is not so effective, but the combination of 5:2 and exercise works a treat. For me it is very ‘doable’ as I feel that I ‘diet’ for just one day at a time.

Major problem is that I need lots of new clothes!?

thank you so much Hardjudge!!!

Thank you to all those that answered, it’s so nice to have support of this community. My first week went well, but I had a boozy weekend which I don’t think is great for any diet. What I liked the most about this is the freedom from constantly counting calories – don’t get me wrong, I still watch what I eat on feast days – a latte is a treat in my book, but this plan does give my OCD head a much deserved rest from obsessiveness. I’m very keen to be patient with this and see what happens in the next month or so. Will update with news 🙂

I’m curious. Did 5:2 help you with your reach your goal? Also are you able to maintain the 5:2 lifestyle?

Hi timp:

You have discovered a ‘dead’ thread (the last post was in 2013).

5:2 has helped many to reach their goals. Losses of over 100 pounds have been reported.

After reaching their goals, most suspend doing 5:2 because they find they continue to lose weight if they don’t. To maintain their weight loss many watch their weight very carefully and set an ‘upper limit’. If they go beyond their upper limit, they return to 5:2 long enough for their weight to fall within their desired weight band. Of course, there are other ways to maintain weight losses so you may hear many individual variations.

5:2 is a way of eating while losing weight and for many becomes a convenient tool to help them maintain their weight loss after reaching their goals. Most that are successful on 5:2 also find that along the way to reaching their weight loss goal they change their diet and start eating differently than they had been eating – both in quantity of food eaten and in types of food eaten. You might hear much debate on what types of foods you should be eating – high fat, low fat, vegetables, etc. – but one common theme seems to be to try to cut down on the amount of sugar you are eating.

Here are some tips that will help you gain the most benefits possible from 5:2: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/the-basics-for-newbies-your-questions-answered/

Good Luck!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply.