Non fast day question

This topic contains 8 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Curvy Kate 10 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• I’m new to 5:2 and have completed my 6th fast day without any weight loss or loosening of clothes yet, so a little disappointed. I know it’s early days and have read lots of the forum postings on giving it time and not overeating on non- fast days. I wanted to understand more from people who are successfully losing weight whether they strictly adhere to the TDEE calories (I.e. don’t exceed) them in general? I’m interested since I assume that many people who do 5:2 need to lose weight because of a habit of overeating and so wonder whether those losing weight are much stricter than me and automatically change to TDEE eating?
    I’m eating more than my TDEE on non fast days but not pigging out etc.
    Really want to get a better feel for 5:2 so would love to hear your thoughts! Thank.

Hi Curvy Kate, saw your post just before I head up to bed. I have been on this lifestyle diet since end of Jan this year. Due to over indulging I have put wieght on and stuck several times but have still lost a total of 18 lb aprox to date. I am well aware that over indulging on non fast days negates and increases my weight from time to time. I believe in this lifestyle and slowly am changing my eating habits honed over 40 yrs. Your lack of weight loss may well be due to over eating on your non fast days. May I suggest that for a couple of weeks you keep a daily diary of your eating habits, feelings, experiences etc. It will be a great help. I do it from time to time and it identifies where I need to improve.
    We are all different, do what works for you and stick with it. As a woman you should eat at least 3000 cals less a week on this lifestyle, this almost equates to a loss of one pound a week so you need to be aware of your non fast food day intake.
    Good luck.

I’ve lost a lot of weight Kate. I never eat more than 300 calories on fast days, even though I’m male and 155 pounds at this point, and I fast at least 36 hours and often 40 hours (usually from 8pm the day before until 10 am the day after). I like to make sure that I’ve entered the “fasting state”, whatever that is. I think eating less on fast days gives me more slack on non-fast days. Then I try to eat healthily and moderately on non-fast days, without actually dieting (i.e. I indulge sometimes and I don’t obsess or count and sometimes I don’t lose weight either). I’ve been eating much less meat too, which causes me to eat more fiber. I believe there is evidence that more soluble plant fiber in the diet improves the types of intestinal bacteria and may cause weight loss via a hormonal change. I haven’t quite gone vegetarian but I’m 90% there. I’ve also cut the percentage of fat pretty dramatically. I started at about 210 pounds two years ago but I was at a plateau at 175 pounds when I commenced 5:2 in May and I’ve since lost 20 more. Still need to lose at least 10 more, and If I plateau again, I plan to fast 3 days a week to break the logjam and finally get rid of my old nemesis. This isn’t east at all, but I feel great and many things are so much easier, and all my health numbers are much better, so it is worth it.

Curvykate I think you answer your own question. If you eat more than your tdee on non fast days you won’t lose weight. And yes, most of us have gained weight because our normal eating has been too hefty. So now as well as fast 2 days a week we have to learn what is a healthy normal the other 5 days. Hope that helps.

Thanks to you couscous, dlroseberry & Humphrey for your comments, which are really helpful and make sense. It interests me that quite a few of the postings have people that are losing weight but talk about not restricting themselves on non fast days. Also am interested how this diet / lifestyle is so much easier for those that have failed other diets, because really it would mean eating alot less on non fast dsys as well, for it to be effective, if you are used to normally eating more than your tdee. Not sure if my questions are making sense (!) but am interested in it all! Would love to hear more 🙂

CurvyKate, re your comment about eating a lot less on non fast days do not fall into the trap of dieting on non fast days by calorie restricting to much. Just eat normally and do not try to beat your self up. As I have said before, I use the K.I.S.S. approach to this. Keep It Simple Stupid. It works for me

However, when Couscous says ‘eat normally’ that means eat normally for a person of your weight. If you are seriously overeating on those days then you’ll not lose weight.

I lost weight to start with, and then hit a plateau. When I looked at what I was eating and my TDEE it was no surprise that I had been gaining weight before I started, and was now stable. I tracked what I was eating for about 3 weeks, and learned where all the traps were. All it took really was a heightened consciousness of what was good and what not, and I was able to eat quite freely, but kept the bad stuff under control.

In the end its the average calories that you eat that count. What you eat and when will make a difference only in preventing you entering starvation mode, and keeping your glucose levels steadier, both of which help the process, and your wellbeing. But they only help so far. If you stick to your TDEE on ‘normal’ days, and eat only a quarter of that on fast days, you will be eating, on average, 75% or so of TDEE. And that is certainly little enough to lose weight.

Its possible to interpret Micheal’s programme as you can eat as much junk food as you like on non fast days, and you’ll lose weight and get healthy. But that is not what he actually did. He ate the occasional bit of ‘junk’ (although I thought that burger looked pretty yummy) but generally improved his diet. That is partly because if you eat optimally on your fast days, you start to lose the taste for junk and yearn for salads on normal days!

I also suspect that if you choose carbs and sugars for your fast day calories you might actually crave more on non fast days. It really is important to eat well on the fast day.

I just weighed in as Friday morning is my lightest period of the week. It’s been two weeks since I last weighed in because we were away from home last Friday. I lost 1.5 pounds in two weeks with 4 fast days. I wouldn’t have lost any weight without the fast days because my non-fast days are too normal for me. I eat out, eat cheese (which I love), drink wine or beer, have the occasional desert. I’m always trying to be careful and keep the calories down, but still, If I didn’t fast, I wouldn’t lose weight, I’d probably gain it. Calorie counting 365 days a year would work for me if I could do it and stand to do it. But fasting is so much easier and better. And fasting gets easier. And Michael’s plan forces me to eat vegetables, which I don’t like much, on my fast days (when even broccoli tastes pretty good).

And, as I’m getting older, and I have the same issue as Michael–high blood sugar and looking diabetes in the face, really weight loss is secondary. My doctor literally stared for 5 seconds at my blood sugar number and said it was the lowest he’d tested with the new test (which measures average levels over about three months as I understand it), and I still had a considerable belly on me at that time but I’d been fasting.

Thanks dlroseberry for your encouragement and for sharing your lifestyle too. I can see that this is a long term plan and that’s what I’ll aim for.
    Am really pleased / relieved that I’ve lost my first 2 lbs after 3 weeks in! Fast day today so will use it to motivate.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply.