This topic contains 9 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Timbermiss 5 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

• Hi people,

Just joined and hoping to start my fast days on Tuesday and Thursdays next week (work days) please can you suggest meal ideas to kick start me, TIA πŸ˜€

Welcome to Fasting, Timbermiss.

We Fast Mondays and Thursdays every week, planning meals with a total of 600 calories/day.
    For breakfast we like egg dishes. Here is a favorite:

Chevre & Spinach Bake: 132 calories 7 g fat 1.9 g fiber 8.8 g protein 9.3 g carbs [8.7 g Complex] 57 mg Calcium NB: The food values given above are for the egg bake and fruit only, not the optional beverages. PB GF This one is really delicious.
    1 two-oz egg 2 Tbsp cooked spinach, drained/squeezed and chopped [frozen works well, just be sure to thaw and drain it the night before] 2 tsp creamy chevre cheese lemon-dill seasoning + salt + pepper 2 oz pear OR 2 oz apple OR applesauce Optional: blackish coffee [53 calories] or blackish tea or lemon in hot water Optional: 5-6 oz fruit smoothie or berry-yogurt smoothie https://wordpress.com/post/fastingme.com/11792 [88 calories]
    Combine the spinach, cheese, and seasonings. Whisk in the egg and pour into a lightly-oiled or spritzed ramekin. Bake at 350 degrees F. for 12-15 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare the beverages of your choice and plate the fruit. What a nice way to start the day.

For dinners, we have seafood on Monday and meat on Thursday. Some recipes:

White Fish Baked with cheese: 145 calories 5.9 g fat 0 g fiber 33 g protein 0.2 g carb 129 mg Calcium PB GF Another winner from the Fast Diet book.
    6 oz firm white fish fillets such as haddock or cod 1/2 oz cheddar cheese, grated Your choice of vegetables to add up to 125 calories: Β½ cup pickled beets [74 cal] 3 oz green beans [26 cal] Β½ cup peas [62 calories] Β½ cup carrot coins [12 cal] 3 oz broccoli florets [30 cal] 2 oz parsnip, sliced as coins [42 cal] 1 cups salad greens + Β½ tsp lemon juice + 1 tsp olive oil [48 cal] 3 oz tomatoes [15 cal]
    Heat the oven to 400 F. Put the fish in an oven-proof dish which has been lightly smeared with olive oil. Sprinkle the cheese on top. Bake for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare the vegetables of your choice.

Quesadillas : 295 cal 9 g. fat 2.7 g fiber 18.8 g protein 31.4 g carb 211.5 mg Calcium GF These are great. And you can prepare them ahead, wrap in foil, and grill them later. Thanks to S.M. for that tip.
    2 six-inch corn tortillas HINT: Read the package! Make sure that each tortillas is 65 calories each or less. ΒΎ oz monterey jack cheese, grated 2 Tbsp non-fat cottage cheese, drained 2 Tbsp tomato salsa – drain it if it is very liquid large pinch Mexican oregano 1 oz [ΒΌ cup] cooked shredded chicken breast 2 oz broccoli, steamed OR 1 cup salad tossed with the drained liquid from the salsa and cottage cheese
    Heat a cast iron skillet and warm the tortillas on both sides until they are warm, pliant, and beginning to brown in spots. Remove and keep warm in a tea towel. Combine the cheeses, salsa, and oregano. Spoon half of the cheese mixture on each tortilla, then top with shredded cheese. Cook the broccoli. Fold over the tortillas and cook on both sides in the hot skillet until hot and toasty and melty. TIP: I sometimes need to put something on top of the folded tortillas to keep them folded as they begin to cook. No problem after they are flipped.

Pork Pad Thai: 265 calories 7.3 g fat 4.7 g fiber 20 g protein 28 g carbs 94.4 mg Calcium GF This is our son’s recipe, with a few tweeks by me to make it fit our calorie requirements. HINT: This makes enough for 2 [two] servings. Share with a friend or pack it up for a later lunch or dinner.
    1 oz Asian noodles [I used buckwheat soba noodles] Β½ tsp oil + 2-3 Tbsp water Β½ cup onion, chopped 2 cloves garlic, chopped 2 cups sliced cabbage 1 cup mung beans or chopped celery 2 oz scallions [about 3], slice in 1” pieces 3 oz lean pork, cooked or raw, sliced into thin pieces about 1” square 6 oz sugar snap peas, cut in half cross-wise one 2-oz egg 2 Tbsp Thai fish sauce pinch hot pepper flakes 1 tsp sugar
    Heat a wok or large cast iron pan. Stirfry all the vegetables in the oil and 3 Tbsp water for 3 minutes, adding more water if the vegetables ever stop sizzling in the pan. Boil the noodles according to package directions, drain, rinse, and set aside. If using raw meat, add to cooking vegetables after 2 minutes. Add the raw egg to the pan of vegetables and scramble it in. If using cooked pork, add it with the noodles to the wok and stir over the heat to combine. Mix well as you add the fish sauce, the sugar, and red pepper flakes. Pass the Sriracha for added kick.

Good luck. I’ve got lots more recipes if you need them. Plan ahead and shop ahead — that really helps.

Oh my goodness thanks for the super recipes the quesadillas sound yummy as does the white fish, and yes I love eggs too thanks so much

If you Google my ‘handle’, you will find my food blog, which I write to help Fasters to find recipes fro Fast Days. What have you been eating lately?

Thank you very much, my first fast day will be tomorrow. I done this years ago but I am a bit rusty! πŸ™

You can make it work, Timbermiss.

We are Fasting today. For breakfast we enjoyed eggs baked with chicken cooked with Haitian spices, served with a side of melon and pineapple. For dinner we’ll have an old favorite, Rumbledeethumps [aka: Colcannon] which I have gotten down to the right calories for a Fast by combining the masked potato with mashed cauliflower.

Good luck on your first day.

Hi everybody, I have started since 1 week. I was very skeptical I could fast because everyday I have hunger attacks about chocolate, chips ,etc… But of my surprise I found myself fasting without even consuming the 500 kcal, and drinking only water, tea or coffee (or a small yogurt). I feel great, I walk on my tapis roulant 1 hour every day and I have lost 1 kg. Can I do the fasting diet like this or I must take the 500 kcal in any case during the 2 fasting days?

You are doing just fine, bianky. If it works, don’t change it. Some people do a water-only Fast Day, so you see that there are many different ways to do a 5:2.
    keep on keeping on.

Ok, so I will not change. Thank you very much for your answer.πŸ™‚

First day of fasting in the bag felt hungry but kept to below 500 cals thought I would wake up today starving but surprisingly not! Next fast day Thursday 😊

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply.