New Weighing scales needed?

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
New Weighing scales needed?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  nkehoe 10 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• I was doing well on the fast diet and have lost 1 stone in 1.5 months. But things took a turn for the worse this morning. Now I know a good dieter never blames her scales but is it really possible to put up 5 pounds over one weekend. It was St Patricks weekend and I might have had a potato or two and more than one drink but I was still careful and surprised to see a huge jump in my weight. I now think that my scales are drunk and I might need another set. Is this just wishful thinking? 5 pounds in two days?

My scales often say ridiculous things, by 2 or 3 pounds. In fact, this morning they think I gained 2 pounds since Saturday — and believe me, I did not eat 7200 extra calories in the past 3 days. Now, I was a bit surprised also by how much they thought I lost last week (Saturday being the day of the week when I write my weight down in my notebook). So at least one of the numbers was a bit off. I have never been able to figure out why the scales will make these ridiculous little jumps up and down, which is why I only write the number down once a week and average it out over a month or more to see what’s really happening. I have lost almost 30 pounds in 30 weeks, so overall this is working. In the beginning I would find the plateaus and the little jumps back up very distressing. I talked about this with my physical medicine and rehabilitation doctor, who I see every month, and who also struggles with his own weight, and says weight loss is just like that, with unexplainable plateaus about every 10 pounds and other things that don’t make sense, but, if you continue to do whatever it is that works for you, the weight loss will re-start again, and I have found this to be true for me. This has been very helpful to me as I do not have to think that I must have done something wrong every time the scales give me a number I wasn’t expecting, and can just make extra sure I’m doing what I planned to do, instead of searching for some new answer every time there’s a couple of pounds I can’t explain. I hope this make sense.

did you have a lot of sodium? you could be retaining a lot of water which can make the scales jump up. Otherwise, it’s probably just a fluke and will level back out in a day or so.

My thought is not from a medically trained perspective. So take what I say or leave it. I believe sometime we get inflammation throughout our bodies which holds on to a bit more water effecting our actual weight.
    So for me I use the scale as gauge to see if have a large swing that might indicate something to the doctor about. Ten pounds of loss in two weeks and another in 5 lbs week three. I just use the scale as like a thermometer. I gauge my fat loss by waist size, because that’s where I tend to loose and gain fat.
    I do understand the need to see progress especially when I’m trying so hard . I want to see reward. To that note I jump off the rails, and go on a fat attack week. And a few weeks later on a muscle strengthening effort for one of the 7 compound lifts. The key I believe is being active . Find a way to burn calories through exercise even if you’re sedentary . I was sedentary after a crash. I found ways to exercise or burn calories that wouldn’t have without making an effort. Examples of sedentary exercise squeezing a tennis ball, sitting on an exercise ball while watching tv. Doing calf and shin flexes. And muscle poses lol yea. Like the body builders do, because it does burn more calories that way. It’s an easy leap into tai chi poses. Basically it’s finding way to poke the metabolism along rather than let it idle. I don’t believe there are many reason a doctor would keep elderly people from balance yoga class. Or the elderly water therapy class that’s needed after injury from time to time. I feel that food dieting is only 1 part of fat loss. Exercising or at least boosting the metabolism is the other as we’ve been told for many years.
    If a bad weigh in is going to frustrate me. I just won’t step on it. So if I know I’ve lost weight by needing smaller clothes then the scale will most likely reveal good numbers. And I would have saved myself the frustration of being disappointed about the body’s ups and downs along. I am down 4 inches from this time last year ;).
    http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/d3/55/72/d3557294169434746677c4b78c4ecc59.jpg
    I found doing this list on fasting days helpful last year. Not vigorously all at once, because it would trigger hunger pangs. Just little all day long . And twice on non fasting days . Added up is 3400 calories or 1 pound.

Thanks for all the advice and tips. I will try not to take so much notice of the scales and I will really have to start moving a bit to help kick start the loss again.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply.