Neih hou – that's "hello" from Hong Kong

This topic contains 9 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  SuzySu 10 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

• Hi, I’m Suzy – an expat living and working in Hong Kong. I ‘dabbled’ with the Fast Diet (or 5:2 – not sure which one is the proper name?) a few months ago, but only tried it for about 2 weeks, after which the summer holiday kicked in and put a stop to that! I have since put on about half a stone and want to lose that before Christmas (don’t we all :D)

I’ve worked out my BMI, BMR and TDEE and reckon 360 cals for my fast day is going to be hard going. I’m sure a lot of people manage it, so would love to hear some ideas for breakfast and evening meals. I leave home at 6am so don’t have time to eat breakfast at home.

I would really like to start tomorrow but haven’t shopped so doubt there’s anything ‘appropriate’ in the house.

What I can do, however, is weigh myself and do my ‘before’ measurements so I’m ready for the off once I have worked out my meal plan. I’ve also signed up with myfitnesspal.com to keep my feast days in check.

Thanks for reading,
    Suzy

@suzysu

“I would really like to start tomorrow but haven’t shopped so doubt there’s anything ‘appropriate’ in the house.”

Suzy, welcome to the Fasting adventure.

The simplicity is that you won’t need anything in the house to start.

Just go and do.

Hi Suzy
    The bok has lots of meals of a few hundred calories, but try just doing water. Lots of us do, and for me its easier than agonising over calories or meals. I go from after dinner on day 1 to lunch on day 3, so works out at about 40 hours. Sounds scary but without the stimulus of lots of little meals it’s actually easy.
    But don’t wait until there is something appropriate in the fridge – boil an egg and have a bit of salad – just do it

Hi Vicky and Rocky and thanks for taking the time to reply 🙂

Yep….have eggs (but no salad) so that could be brekky tomorrow. Vicky – can I just check what you mean? For example, you have an evening meal on (say) Monday and then nothing but water until lunch on Wednesday? Why do you fast for so long? Do you only do that once a week? Not sure I could manage 40 hours without food on a regular basis. For me, the ability to eat a small meal twice a day is what will keep me on track (I think). Thanks for the suggestion, however. I hadn’t thought of no food on my fast day but I might try it down the line.

Hi again Suzy
    I guess I do it because I can. It feels comfortable for me, I cook dinner for my husband and sit while he has dinner and wine and just drink water. Maybe its a self power thing but I actually enjoy it and feel energised. I either swim 3km or do an hour on the crosstrainer at the gym 5 mornings a week. I do the 40 hours once a week and 3 other days fast from after dinner until dinner the next day (but normal weekends).
    I’m 63 and have gone from 90.8kg to 73kg since February. And I’ve lost 23cm off my waist!
    But the main thing with this diet is what suits YOU.
    Good luck

Gosh Vicki….that’s fantastic! You’ve done amazingly well and I know it’s not easy the older you get. You’re right – it’s down to each person how they choose to do it and it’s definitely working for you.

Hey Suzy, and Ni Hao from Hangzhou! I’ll actually be visiting Hong Kong this weekend to make use of the second entry on my visa 😉 I’m not an expat really, just following an internship here before moving on to New Zealand in January for study. Then it’s back home to have one more year to finish my Bachelor (I’m 22 by the way).

I think the best advice I can give is just start. The first weeks you’ll most likely be trying out stuff to see what works for you. Personally I think having longer periods of fasting are very helpful and important for weightloss, as you force your body to burn fat instead of sugar (as there’s no carbs in your system but there still is body fat). I eat one meal a day, so I do daily 24 hour fasts. On fast days I guess this amounts to a 48 hour fast, if you don’t count the 0-500 cals I eat in the evening on my fast day since they have no carbs at all and my body will still have to burn fat to have energy.
    It took me a while to adapt to this lifestyle however, I think diving headfirst into stuff other people built up over a longer period isn’t smart and you’ll just have to find out what works for you. Experiment, see how long you can do without food, set small goals. Start with a 12 hour fast (which isn’t long if you just count your sleeping hours), then try 14, then 16 etc.

Well it’s day one of my fast so I’m planning on not eating until dinner (or supper or tea depending on where you’re from ha ha). Unusually I have a day off from work so I hope the time won’t drag. I have some salmon that I’ll cook with whatever veg is in the fridge (mainly carrots I think) but not sure whether I should try to count the calories or just eat it?
    Breakfast was coffee (with coffeemate lite unfortunately…..big mistake but hey ho – it’s still only 56 cals for 2 cups)
    Will drink water and peppermint tea throughout the day and try to eat earlyish at around 6pm which would be nearly 24 hours since my last meal.

I took my measurements this morning but can’t find anywhere on the site to enter them. Does anyone know whether this is possible?

There’s no specific place to enter them, you can just put them here as a way to keep your own progress and share it with people. Although I do think adding some sort of tracking system to the profiles wouldn’t be a bad thing… x)

I think you should just eat your salmon and carrots, you’d have to eat a huge load of them to go well above 400 calories. Just make sure you have more carrots than salmon 😉

Well I’m just about to sit down to my first (and only) meal of the day. Salmon steak fried (without oil) mixed with cannellini beans and chick peas, garlic, lemon juice, tabasco and black pepper. According to myfitnesspal it comes to the grand total of……223 calories!!! That puts my net consumption for today at 278 cals – well within my allowance of 350.

There is enough left over for lunch tomorrow as well which means no rice + ‘meat’ + peanut butter doorstop! Yipeeeeeeeee

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply.