My journey so far..

This topic contains 4 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  simcoeluv 10 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• Hey guys,

I have posted on here only a few times but thought I’d take the time to fill in my background of where I was to where I am at the moment. (Sorry, it’s longer than I expected!)

I am 25 and I was 265lbs (18st 13lbs) when I started. I’m 5’7 so not tall enough to fully pull it off. I had never been huge when I was younger but not exactly super slim either. I am very athletic and carried a lot of muscle but football (soccer) injuries caught up with me so I had to stop playing. I then dislocated my knee on a comeback and the weight piled on afterwards and also delaying the knee recovering properly
    One a slightly down day last August I spoke with my mum who suggested giving the 5:2 diet a go, she was ready for me to make a decision to start and jumped at me with it, not looked back since!

I am now 90lbs down from August and am really enjoying all the benefits of being back healthy. I have enjoyed every minute of the journey however I would never forgive myself if I had to do it again. I am loving life at the moment and have no intention of going back!

My fitness is now at levels better than I was 10 years ago and still improving!

I’ve lost 8 inches off my waist and chest so the wardrobe has had an extreme makeover.

So with my weight now down to a cool 175lbs (12st 7lbs) I find myself in a position for a bit of advice from you guys on here!

I’m still looking to lose a further 8lbs but have found in the last month I am fighting with the same 2lbs. It is on/off which is a tad frustrating but I am in no position to panic given what I have already lost. I have done a bit of research where people say it is the body maybe adapting to the substantial weight loss that has happened.

I do a lot of cardio at the moment with running, football and a lot of walking during the week. I’m not sure whether I am at a stage where that needs to be upped or my calorie intake is too low sometimes. I have the odd day where I will indulge but nothing that frequent where the weight will have time to pile on.

But despite the expected slow down in the weight loss I am very happy with the results from the 5:2 diet and regardless of the numbers on the scales I always feel so much better for doing it and would recommend that people in need of shifting some weight give it a real good go and NEVER give up!

Good luck to everyone else still on their journey! 🙂

PS – I’m doing a 6 mile run for Sports Relief next month….my next achievement!

Ben

Thanks for sharing Ben,

really inspiring post, and good luck on your run!!! 🙂

Hi Ben, you rightly say, it is expected that the weightloss slows down the closer you get to your goal weight. I am two pounds away from my goal weight and it is taking ages, but I am patient!

Just a couple of suggestions:

1. I assume you have re-calculated your TDEE and BMR each time you have lost weight? Staying under your TDEE should in theory result in a weightloss, as you probably know.

2. You are logging all your food on something such as myfitnesspal. I am sure you have a good grip on that or you would not have lost that huge amount of weight! Just wondering though as I got a bit sloppy over time and it gets me back on the roll once I start logging all (!) my mouthly intake.

3. You might have gained muscle? Muscle as you probably know weighs more that fat.

4. Perhaps go on 4:3 or ADF for a week or so to get things moving again? Helps me tons to shake things up.

5. Lastly, you are eating enough (!) calories? I know it sounds counter productive, but not eating enough calories can slow your metabolism down, so perhaps try and eat close to your TDEE on non fast days and see what happens?

I hope you find a way to get things going. Congrats to your massive succes!

Best wishes
    Stef.

What a fabulous and inspiring weight loss Ben.
    We all plateau at some stage so that maybe what has happened to you, I have found you have to continue with your plan and ride the ‘not losing’ frustration as you will probably find somehow and somewhere your shape has changed and a few lbs have fallen off too 🙂
    Good luck with the run ooh and what a cool mum you have! I hope you have given her a big hug for her support – don’t forget Mothers Day March 30th (UK).

Hi and welcome:

Your answer is probably in this comment you made:

‘I have the odd day where I will indulge but nothing that frequent where the weight will have time to pile on.’

You are not eating over your TDEE, but (by definition) you are eating to it, so you don’t lose.

The reduction in your TDEE number (caused by your weight loss) reflects any minor slowdown in your metabolism, and eating more calories probably will not help you lose weight.

Most people that are used to eating a lot (which is why they find it necessary to go on a weight loss diet) do not appreciate how little food it takes to maintain their weight level (whatever it is). To continue to lose those last few pounds, you just have to eat even less than you have been eating. It is that simple, and that hard. Here are some general thoughts: http://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/on-plateaus/

Congratulations on your great results – enjoy!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply.