Momentous March

This topic contains 420 replies, has 26 voices, and was last updated by  AT 2 years ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 434 total)

• Here’s how this monthly challenge works (same as it has always been):

1. Start your daily post with the day of the month, where you are from, and if you’re on a fast day (FD); a non-fast day (NFD) or a controlled day (CD) (e.g. for the 8th day of the month, it would go something like “Day 8 – UK – FD”). NOTE THAT THE DAY LISTED IS THE DAY OF THE MONTH, NOT HOW LONG YOU’VE BEEN DOING 5:2.

2. Give a quick intro about yourself in the very first post – mostly for the benefit of the newbies. A brief blurb about your journey so far and what you aim to get from this way of life (WOL). Also, if you wish, your starting weight and any other measurements (waist, hip, bust etc.) you aim to keep track of throughout the month.

3. You can add any comments/questions/moans/whinges/triumphs…or anything you feel like you want to share with the rest of the forum. We all have good days and bad days, days we fall off the wagon and days when we hang in there for dear life…so if you want to share it – post it.

Recipes, tips, tricks and questions can also be shared – most of us are logged on at one time or another and can clarify things, offer advise, support etc. when needed – this is the great thing about this international forum, there’s always someone online!!!!

Over the course of these monthly challenges, there have been small groups doing their own mini-challenges; called ‘pocket lists,’ the consistent pocket list is for who is fasting on any given day, so go ahead and add your name, or start the list if it hasn’t already been started for the day. If you’d like to start a new pocket list–for exercise or ZBC or DTF or whatever–go right ahead and do so.

5:2 basics – answers to many FAQs plus top tips:
    https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/the-basics-for-newbies-your-questions-answered/

ABBREVIATION LIST – useful for those new to the challenges

Common abbreviations used throughout this challenge and added to on an ongoing basis:
    16:8 – 16 hours fast 8 hours non fast
    5:2 – 5 days NFD:2 days IF
    ADF – Alternate Day Fasting (FD – NFD – FD – etc. etc. etc.…….)
    B2B – Back to Back (consecutive FDs)
    BMR – Basal metabolic Rate
    CFD – Controlled Fast Day (a FD below your goal weight TDEE, whatever that is!!!)
    DH, DD, DS – Darling Husband Daughter, Son
    DTF – Dry ‘Til Fri (for those limiting the booze to weekend only ………….. & aiming for sainthood!!!!)
    EE – Emotional Eating (reflex grazing out of a need for instant comfort instead of satisfying hunger)
    EFS – Epic Face Stuffing (we’ve all had one of those days. Definitely due to a faulty OFF button!)
    FD – Fast Day (500 cals)
    HUNGER DRAGON – that dreadful psychological beast that sometimes cannot be satisfied. Some people even name theirs (e.g. @i-hate-lettuce has an inner warthog!)
    IF – Intermittent Fasting
    Keto – way of eating that generates Ketones
    K.I.S.S. – Keep It Simple Stupid!!!………………or Sexy!!!
    LC – Low Carb way of eating
    LCHF – Low Carb High Fat way of eating
    LFD – Liquid Fast Day (incl. tea, coffee, miso, bone broth & water)
    LOL – Laughing Out Loud
    M/WOAM – Man/Woman on a Mission (courtesy of @i-hate-lettuce)
    MFD – Modified Fast Day (800 cals) on the new Fast800, it’s a FD
    NFD – Non Fast Day
    OH – Other Half (eg spouse/partner)
    OMAD – One Meal A Day
    PFDS – Post FD Smugness (courtesy of @penz)
    POCKET LIST – Names to “keep in your pocket” for a common goal for the day
    TDEE – Total Daily Energy Expenditure (see the ‘how it works’ link on the home page to work out yours)
    TRE – Time Restricted Eating
    WFD – Water Fast Day (Water only)
    WFH – Working From Home ……………….. Covid-19 enforced!!!
    WOL – Way of Life
    WOCA – Women Of a Certain Age
    ZBC – Zero Breakfast Club

Why “momentous” March? Here’s the definition:

1. Of utmost importance; of outstanding significance or consequence.
    2. Of moment or consequence; very important; weighty
    3. outstanding in importance

Over the course of these monthly challenges, many of us have had great success at achieving our goals. Many more of us have struggled to find the momentum to achieve our goals. So my desire for March is that we all have momentum to make March MOMENTOUS, a month we never forget.

How will we do this?

That’s a huge question. Some of us–those who’ve had great success already–are skilled at setting a goal and then following through with the actions necessary to achieve that goal. Some months, I’ve been one of those people. Others of us struggle to follow through with the actions necessary to achieve our goals. Many months, I’ve been one of THOSE people. What makes the difference?

I’m convinced it comes down to a simple word: RESOLVE.

Do you have a job? Do you ever “hope” you’ll get to work and you’ll do the work you’re paid to do? Of course not; you simply do it. You committed to the job when you were hired, so you go. You work. Have you ever raised a child? Did you ever “hope” you’d get that child fed, change its diapers, keep it out of dangerous situations, and so on? Of course not; you committed to that child, so you simply parented.

In the same way, we have to change our mind set to understand that our daily eating goals are not “hopes” but commitments we make. Let me say that again: we have to change our mind set to understand that our daily goals are not “hopes” but commitments we make. . .the same as our jobs, or parenting, or anything else we’ve committed to. And we are all people who know how to follow through on our commitments. Thus, we don’t “hope” to [fill in the blank] today, we RESOLVE to [fill in the blank] today.

Is it really that easy? We simply “resolve” and, poof!, it happens?

Unfortunately, no. It takes lots and lots of thought to realize we truly do control our eating sufficiently to follow through on any day’s goal. But it’s possible. If we abandon the idea of “hoping” and commit instead to “RESOLVE” we’ll find we are far stronger than we ever knew.

So my challenge for you for March is to eliminate the word “hope” from your daily posts. Don’t “hope” today will be a FD; RESOLVE today will be a FD. Don’t “hope” you’ll stay under TDEE; RESOLVE you’ll stay under TDEE.

You’ll quickly discover that your mindset is the key to success. Is it easy to get the necessary mindset? Well, perhaps for some; personally, I have to spend lots and lots and lots of time thinking things through if I’m to eat with restraint. And just because I manage to eat with restraint this week doesn’t mean I’ll eat with restraint next week; I have to continue spending lots and lots of time thinking things through. But do it often enough for long enough, and you’ll appear a natural at losing weight, and maintaining it.

So let’s start the month with lots and lots and lots of thinking, of RESOLVE, and eliminating the idea of “hoping.” And March will be MOMENTOUS.

Day 1? (27?) US VA
    @stichincarol:
    I love your inspiring words! I am in for March!

Woo hoo @stitchincarol, just what I need to read on the Sunday before tomorrow’s final FD for February and an LFD at that. So I won’t “hope” to do that LFD tomorrow, I RESOLVE to do that LFD.

See you in March!!!!

Day 0 – USA/GA

I’m in for Momentous March! Yes, I need to up my commitment level. I know things happen, but I got way too lax by mid-February, got back on track, and then the last few days of the month, threw that commitment out of the window and expected that those horrible choices wouldn’t show up on the scales. That’s a ridiculous mindset.

But a new month approaches and my challenge is to get myself out of the 210s and firmly into the 200s. My low in February was 209 lbs, resulting in a total loss of 70 lbs on the 5:2 (and variants) since May 2020. My high in February (and unfortunately, also as of writing today) was 218 lbs. I’ll set my March goal, then, at 208 lbs, but will COMMIT for staying mostly in the 200s and in doing so, could reach beyond 208. If I can do this, by the end of Spring I should be rewarded with being labeled by the national and world health organizations as being “overweight” instead of “obese.”

Some things I want to do:
    * Cut out snacking.
    * Replace even more occasions for drinking sugar with water.
    * Favor healthy fats and proteins over carbs at every opportunity.
    * Don’t see carbs as sinful. See carbs as empty and as hunger inducing medicine. Don’t take a lot of them. If you have a sandwich, it’s OK. Have a pickle with it. Celebrate a birthday with a polite taste of cake, but don’t have three thick slices with ice cream. That sort of thing…

USA. Day 0

Wonderful! Count me in! 🙂

Hi,
    You might find it helpful to have one meal a day that doesn’t have bread/rice/pasta or potatoes in it. I am so impressed by what you have achieved so far. Well done.

Yup. I’m in. Always. Ever. 🙂

Day 0

I’m a late fifties woman. Restarted 5:2 in August restarted regular cardio exercise in October and working on regular strength workouts. I have dropped the unhealthy extra 35lb. And am (barely) in healthy BMI range now. Unsure where exactly I decide to stop losing and start maintaining weight, but am starting that direction with my two 5:2 days set to 800 now.

I’ll do my weekly weigh in on Tuesday for March and do my measurements then. I don’t have a reliable computer but can’t access the google spreadsheet on my older phone so I just update here.

Accountability is what helps me. Two (or more) fast days a week has been the key to my healthy weight journey. I’m a natural ZBC and I attempt (mostly successfully) to keep highly refined carbs to limited- ie home made items on special occasions only. I hear the siren’s call of the salty snacks instead of the sweet treats, and always need to battle the mindless munchies and grazings. The kitchen closes between 7pm and 8pm when I’m at home, and I have been able to stand firm on that score.

March will be busy, and I’ll tick that birthday clock which always leaves me a bit depressed. I have a trip planned for late March/ early April (Covid situation permitting) to go see my Father and family in Chicago. It has been far too long and I am anticipating it greatly.

Well, that’s pretty much me and my current situation in a nutshell! March here we come and thank you @stitchincarol.

Day minus.

Woohoo! Thanks for hosting @stitchincarol and starting us off with such wise and inspirational words. It made me think and reflect. If we promise a friend to do something, we follow through and don’t even think of letting them down. Why don’t we feel the same level of commitment to ourselves?

So publicly, I commit to ME in March. I will do my two FDs a week, and I will stay dry til Fri (except for this Thursday when I am off to a wine dinner that was booked months ago).

See you all tomorrow!

Day -1 UK NFD

Thank you for volunteering @stitchincarol , see you next week – have a good March all

@stitchincarol – I just love your inspiring post and am with you on “let’s start the month with lots and lots and lots of thinking, of RESOLVE, and eliminating the idea of “hoping.” And March will be MOMENTOUS.”

I have taken the liberty to set up a spreadsheet for anyone who finds it useful to use for motivation
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/18UjveOsQimcxPOnWkoq_Ifm-jpAHhYg5aiOM4RBTkC0/edit?usp=sharing

See you all tomorrow

Day 0 Melb Aust NFD

I’m “in”, @stitchincarol and thank you for those encouraging words.

@penz, good thoughts – if we keep our word and don’t let others down, why do we do it to ourselves? No, and no again. Determined to shift the weight down further during momentous March.

Intro – 72 yr-old single female, doing post-retirement study in household ruled by ginger tabby Wilbur. Tired of being overweight/ obese, need to lose weight for health and to feel greater energy. Aiming to lose 4 kg over March.

Welcome,
    @excelsior12309
    @daffodil2010
    @northgeorgia
    @annette52 (are you joining us, or did you just pop in to make a comment?)
    @songbirdme
    @mariaelena
    @penz
    @brightonbelle (Have a grand time in Rome this week!!)
    @at (Thanks ever so much for setting up the spreadsheet, and for doing it without even being asked!)
    @betsylee

We’re already a great group, and I’m sure more of our regulars will be joining us.

Day Zero – Rural Nebraska, USA

63yo woman, married, three adult kids, one SIL, two DGDs, busy life as piano teacher, choir director, church organist, office secretary, wife of pastor, and occasional editor. And enthusiastic cook.

Have twice eaten my way up to 165 (which is a BMI of over 30 for my 5’2″ frame that used to be 5’4″), and am currently at 146.6, although I was hovering around 137-140 during December.

I started WF on my two piano teaching days, and find I love it. It feels great, it’s not that tough to do, and I love the scales on the next day. The problem is, of course, those NFDs, and how out-of-control I often get. So here’s my plan for March:

WF on Tues and Thurs
    TRE on Mon, Wed, Fri, Sat (21/3, so eating window is 4-7)
    DTF (something I haven’t followed in many months)
    NFD on Sunday (as we do after-church brunch, and then I seem to “need” supper)

And for all these meals, I’ll be minimizing (not eliminating, but minimizing) carbs as that’s been very effective for me when I’ve followed it.

And I’m giving up beer again. As a friend of mine pointed out a few months ago when I was wailing about beer’s effect on my weight, “They’re not called beer-bellies for nothin’!” I far prefer beer to wine, but wine isn’t so damaging, so beer is out until Easter…or even longer. We’ll see.

I can’t control what the scales do; I can only control what I do. So I’m setting no goals of how much weight I’ll lose in March, but am hoping that by strictly following my plan, I’ll be at 140 by April 1. (And since that hope is tied to what the scale does, and not what I’ll do, I think that’s an acceptable use of the word. Yes?) And, as I think further, I actually HOPE I’ll be at 138 by April 1, and am GUESSING I’ll be at least to 140 by April 1.

Okay, March, come and get us: WE ARE READY FOR YOU!!!!

Day – almost – US/DC
    please count me in. fingers crossed I can get it together this month to really engage. I felt like a ghost for February. :))))

I’m in! See you tomorrow. Thanks @stitchincarol! And @at for the spreadsheet.
    No hoping… just doing 💪

Please can I join you fabulous lot?

Welcome, @nellen @jaifaim!

And @annette52 You are absolutely welcome to join us! Read the first post which explains our (nearly non-existent) rules and know that this is the best group on this forum as far as our members are concerned!! 😜🤣❤️

Day 1, first day of autumn in Oz; country west Australian NFD
    @stitchincarol, great words for starting Momentous March.
    I do notice that the 2nd definition of momentous includes…’very important; WEIGHTY’…..and therein lies the rub!!!🙃
    Interesting thinking about resolve versus hope. So I resolve to lose 2 kgs in March.
    The weight loss is important but when I started this WOL in 2016 I was also keen on the health benefits of better eating.
    There was a lot of chat back then about the benefits of food like sauerkraut, keffir, kombucha etc.
    I started eating more sauerkraut and still do.
    Keffir just didn’t cut it for me. 🤑
    60+ yo female health professional whose weight was fairly stable until about 5-6 years ago.
    Put on weight. Did 5:2 for some months, lost weight.
    Stopped doing 5:2 as it is meant to be done
    ie how can you say you are doing 5:2 or IF when you don’t actually fast??!!!!🤔
    Put on weight to be the heaviest I have EVER been including 3 pregnancies.😳😳🙄
    Back on track by being on this forum again for accountability, posting AND actually fasting.
    I find the FDs generally take care of themselves.
    It is the NFDs I have to be more vigilant about.🙄
    Looking forward to a MOMENTOUS March with resolve.🤗

Day 1, NFD, Aus

I love the first day of each challenge month. Such optimism, commitment, enthusiasm.

Welcome @annette52!

Day 1, NFD, Gold Coast Qld Australia- Monday 1st March
    Roll on MOMENTOUS MARCH (great name!) Me? I’m 69, newly single lady, still working professional, committed (not hoping!), absolutely committed to removing 10-11 kg by Easter. I’ve been on this journey before in 2019 and SUCCESSFULLY removed the exact same amount of weight by adhering to 5:2. I maintained it for a year or so by sticking to the 6:1 WOL regime but somewhere in there lost focus and, of course, it crept back on! There is an important lesson here!
    So, my plan: I started on 1st Feb with FAB FEB and have seen great results from 5:2 and alcohol free. 1 kg per week = 4 kg in 4 weeks. Yes, it works!
    Now, this MOMENTOUS MARCH, I commit and resolve to continue with the 5:2, alcohol free AND now for MOMENTOUS MARCH, I am adding MOMENTUM (pardon the pun!) with a 1 hour early morning walk (weather permitting) to keep me positive and on track.
    Thank you so much everyone for your inspiring posts and especially @lilymartin for the Feb hostess with the mostest and now for @stitchincarol taking up the March mantle to keep us all on track. Also thanks to @at for the spreadsheet too!
    It’s been a difficult period of change in my life and reading your wonderful posts really does give me support and clarity of purpose.

Thank you.

I am in the UK and have followed you lovely lot for a while now. I have recently changed my approach from skipping breakfast a couple of times a week, which I struggle with when it’s cold to ditching an evening meal most evenings, essentially to have less carbs each day. It’s working too.

Day 1 – South Africa 🇿🇦 – NFD

@stitchincarol – thanks for hosting. What a great intro! That word ‘try’ should be banned too, although I’m sure I’ve used it myself. As in, ‘trying for a FD today’. Instead of just deciding, & then choosing what to eat & when.

@at – thanks for the spreadsheet.

About me:- David, 60. Originally from Manchester in the UK, living in Durban, Kwazulu-Natal, on the east coast of South Africa. I’ve been fasting on & off since 2014.I got serious with fasting after I retired in 2018 & realised I was gaining weight & turning into a couch potato. I’ve been more or less maintaining for quite a while now, with the occasional holiday/festive season glitches. I now follow TRE, seldom eating before noon. I do mostly 5:2 & I don’t eat before 6 pm on fast days. Current BMI is 22.5, but I’m starting the month about a kilo over my ideal weight. So I plan to shift that kilo very quickly & then just keep on doing what I’ve been doing – because it works!

Day one, UK, FD

@linda_b : thank you for hosting!

About me briefly: early 50s woman who has been doing intermittent fasting for about seven years

I tend to do 4:3 rather than 52, this is because I tend to prefer eating about 700 cal on a fast day rather than 500 cal on a fast day

I am currently about 6 lb above my maintenance weight, I have a plaster cast on my arm so it is difficult to know exactly how much I weigh right now!!!

Anyway life has been getting in the way of me fasting during January and February so I’m hoping that in March I can get back on the straight and narrow!

I am currently reading the 400 page PDF by SIIM LAND On the health benefits of fasting and I am finding it quite inspirational… I do love a good read on the subject of fasting and how good it is for you!

Looking forward to hearing everybody’s journeys… 🙂

Day 1 -Ireland 🇮🇪 – NFD – it’s Pancake Tuesday after all!!

Weigh in: 164.4

So I start March 3lbs less than I started February. It took yesterday’s LFD to do that however and gave me a 2lb loss overnight, but it’s good to put that line in the sand for the start weight to a new month. I resolve to see the much lower end of the 160’s by month end.

I am 54, F, living in Co Meath Ireland with DH and our cat, working locally, enjoying life, but unfortunately after losing 30lbs from this WOL back in 2017/2018, a perfect storm of Covid, new sedentary job, menopause, all collided to give me that weigh back again, despite me logging on here daily.

LIKE @lilymartin notes above, I was doing 5:2 without actually really fasting ☹️

Today is Pancake Tuesday in Ireland (do ye have it in the UK) and DH is cooking lemon pancakes tonight, yum, so it’s ZBC, mackerel salad for lunch, then those pancakes. I haven’t eaten in 36 hours and still don’t feel hungry….I would never have though I could do that before this WOL ha ha!

Have a good one today, the first of the month

Day 1 – UK – TDEE

Like many others I always start the first day of a new challenge with renewed optimism “an inclination to put the most favorable construction upon actions and events or to anticipate the best possible outcome”

Woke up to a freezing cold and foggy 🌫 morning with the promise of sunshine 🌤 now just starting to break through taking us into a perfect spring day – will be joining my walking group in Grasemere (starting point for today) at 10am for our regular Tuesday/Friday walks – should be invigorating!

@daffodil2010 – yes we do celebrate Pancake Tuesday in the UK and tonight it will be lemon pancakes – our favourite 😋 too!

About me:
    I am a 63y.o. female living with my DH in the beautiful Lake District ⛰ having moved here since I retired in 2013. We have a married daughter who has 4 fur babies – 3 black 🐈‍⬛ and an adorable beagle called Archie.
    I started this WOL on my own in January 2016 as I had gained weight during the last couple of years at work and was fed up with being overweight and wanted to enjoy my early retirement and get fitter!
    I discovered and joined the 30 Day November 2016 Challenge with @back2thefuture – best thing I ever did, as it got me to my maintenance weight and has kept me motivated and on track with this WOL! December was my 5th anniversary in maintenance! – Total weight loss = 22kg/3st 7lbs. Height = 165cm

Weighed in this morning – exactly where I was at the beginning of February – 58kg/128lbs or just above 9st with a BMI of 21.3 – this is at the top of my maintenance range, so a bit above where I would ideally like to be……..I would love to lose 2kg/4.4lbs!

Momentous March Targets:-
    * FD500 x 2
    * TDEE or less x 4
    * NFD x 1
    * Drink at least 2L of water daily
    * Exercise for at least 1hr x 5 days
    * Alcohol Free month – First step is to put it in writing and now to make it happen!
    * Daily log in to the challenge for motivation and support

“If I quit now, I will soon be back to where I started. And when I started, I was desperately wishing to be where I am now”

Day 1 – Lake district UK – NFD

Good morning everyone

Joining the next leg of the challenges and I’m here all month this month 😉

@stitchincarol – Thanks for leading the way for March, the start of spring:)

Me …. I ‘found’ this group in July 2019 and never looked back! I’m a 66 year old bloke who over the years had put on a lot of weight, but thanks to this WOL now down to a weight that I am comfortable with and feel a lot better!
    I have found the help and encouragement of the members of this group fantastic. The 5:2 WOL really does work, especially with help of my forum friends.

Currently maintaining and staying within my ‘buffer zone’ really do find it easy having done ‘the hard yards’ getting to where I am from where I was.

Hobbies, walking, brewing craft beer, baking bread, rugby union (watching these days, my playing days are long over) fishing and gardening.

To any newcomers, stick with it, it really does work, but not overnight.

Take care all.

Day 1 – Ireland – CD – 157.8lbs 🚫✅

Thank you @stitchincarol for offering to host Momentous March!

The first challenge I joined was October 2017…and I’ve been intermittently fasting in all senses of that phrase 😂 since. Sometimes it’s hard to do but you fall off and you just climb back on again… 🧗‍♂️ I’m posting my starting weight here so that I can refer back on March 31.

My name is a little play on words as I am a french speaker so “J’ai faim” means “I’m hungry” but also stands for Just Another Intermittent Fast And I’ll Maintain…it makes me smile 😊

I’ve worked towards what was my ideal weight (160 lbs) for years and seem to be hovering around that zone now… I’d now like to get to a little below (155)and then bob between that and 160 at the higher end.

I’m very active, I love being outdoors even in our lovely Irish weather and cycle, walk, swim and now do a short early morning workout on most weekdays.

I’m pretty much staying away from alcohol 🚫 so “on the dry” and have reduced added sugars ✅ as much as I can 😂 but I do love beer and tasting new gins etc so so have a tipple from time to time…

I have two auto immune conditions and alcohol definitely cause flare ups… along with hormone deficiencies now due to my age. My little icons helped me in the past to stick to clean nutrition goals so I’m going to re introduce them in my posts.
    But….. life is for living and like others I tend to have one blowout (EFS) day a week where I eat crisps, a little chocolate etc – it has to be done 😊

Go gently this month – the world is a crazy place – but remember that one thing WE actually can control is what we eat.

Onward and downward ⬇️
    We rise by lifting others 💕

Day 1 Melb Aust CD

Starting this month 0.1kg less than the end of February. Slowly but surely the weight is coming off again, and I RESOLVE that this month will be a momentous weight loss month. Although alcohol isn’t a weakness, ice-cream and chocolate are, especially ice-cream, so that’s an area I need to reduce.

Good to see several of the “faithfuls” still here and encouraging us all – thank you!

Day 1 – USA/GA – NFD

I am a 47-year-old man in the northeastern suburbs of Atlanta, Ga. I started 5:2 in May of 2020 after once again “losing” a few pounds, but knowing if I didn’t do something different, I would gain it and a lot more back, based on past experience. Today I weigh 210 lbs, my all-time low last month being 209. My target is 208 this month. I have lost 70 lbs since 2020, and my ultimate goal is 55 more, which would be a mid-range healthy weight for my height (although if I reach the upper range of healthy, that is fine by me!). This will be a difficult month as I have my brother’s birthday and two days of meetings at a hotel with all the meals included mid-month.

Day 1 – Rural Nebraska, USA – WF

Woke up a little after four this morning feeling worried, in a panic, troubled…NO idea what that’s all about and after an hour of lying there trying to go back to sleep, I gave up and got up. I’ll go back to bed in an hour and see if I can get another hour or two then. 😜

I had wine at DS’s last night, figuring my plan starts today. Anyone doing anything fun for Shrove Tuesday? Perhaps pancakes?? I had no idea that was a thing for today until you all talked about it last year, and it still makes me smile. I’ve often made something Cajun/Creole on Shrove Tuesday (thinking of New Orleans where Mardi Gras is HUGE) but my WF and being gone all day puts paid to that.

You know how we often overeat on an NFD thinking “tomorrow, I fast”? It just hit me that’s exactly the attitude of what made Mardi Gras so huge and out of control: on Ash Wednesday, everyone was planning to give up something/lots, and so the day before, they stuffed themselves. Such behavior has been going on for centuries, so at least we’re not unique, right?

@lilymartin Have you figured out an approach to help with NFDs? That’s the struggle for many of us, and would love any solutions any of us can offer!

@penz The optimism, commitment, and enthusiasm are indeed wonderful at the beginning of each month. The challenge is to channel the good feelings into action that gives results. I’m working on remembering my why so that I’m more willing to buckle down and make wise choices; having my water glass next to me in the evenings (my challenge time) is my action step to help accomplish that. Do you have some particular step you’re going to take to help your focus?

@linda.b I’m absolutely gobsmacked at how much weight you’ve lost each week. Truly. Are you perhaps a tall woman? Short little me has NEVER been able to lose a kg per week on a continual basis, so that’s truly astonishing and impressive to me. Your new life sounds wonderfully settled and full of positive energy, and we’re all thrilled for you!

@annette52 We’re so glad you spoke up to join us officially! I’m a natural ZBC (zero breakfast club), having started when I was a senior in high school, but I know plenty of people for whom breakfast is crucial to starting the day well, so it’s good you figured out you’re one of them. And, sadly, we’re all realizing that carbs are not helpful when trying to lose weight. What are your goals? Are you doing 5:2 mostly for health, or for active weight loss? Do you ever do a FD500?

@funshipfreddie Excellent point about “try.” Thanks for the catch; let’s all watch out for that!

@high5 What’s the title of the Siim Land you’re reading? I’ve never heard of him, but he has several books on Amazon and is apparently a very active podcaster. And, when do you get off the cast?

@daffodil2010 How lovely that you have a loss for February, and that your WF went so well; congratulations!!!

@at what a lovely description of optimism! And do you have a link you could share for lemon pancakes? That’s two of you now to mention them, and I’ve never encountered a recipe for them. It will be lovely having you on here daily; I look forward to your chatter!

@i-hate-lettuce DH and I haven’t brewed any beer in two years…all sorts of things have gotten in the way. You haven’t talked about it in awhile; are you also not brewing much, or are you brewing but not mentioning it?

@jaifaim We do indeed control what we eat; the challenge is to realize that, and I’m slowly figuring it out. 😜 And, say, at dinner last night with our two sons, I thought of you! The elder mentioned that he’s always wanted to know how to say “Dude” in French. I’m suspecting there’s no direct translation, but can you think of something close? If not, perhaps he’d settle for “bloke”! 🤣

@betsylee How lovely that you’re a bit lower today than the beginning of February! Have you set any rules for yourself about when you do and don’t get ice cream and chocolate?

@northgeorgia Ahh, those hotel meetings where all meals are included… My mama raised me to be frugal, and not eating meals that have been paid for is wasteful! — Is that your line of thought? Or is it more a longing for the food itself along with the fellowship of eating and chatting with others? Whatever, it’s certainly a challenge. Have you figured out your plan yet regarding all those meals? (And, nice weight to start the month!)

Have a grand one, everyone. I’ll try to pop in later this morning to see who else has posted, but if time gets away with me, I’ll be back tomorrow!

Day 1 – UK – CD

Hello hello!

Firstly, @stitchincarol thank you so much for hosting this month and huge thanks again to @lilymartin for hosting Feb. Being a part of these threads helps me enormously.

Well I braved the scales this morning after 4 days of big indulgences for DH’s birthday and I have gained 2.5lbs overall. Not as a bad as I was expecting but am also mindful that it sometimes takes a good few days / a week for gains to show. Today isn’t going to be a strict FD800 because we are at a friend’s for dinner this eve – a belated birthday get together, but she’s chosen to cook a recipe that is pretty low on cals. It’s been a ZBC + soup for lunch set up so far today. So all going well I’ll come in well under 800 cals anyway but allowing myself a ‘CD’ just to be on the safe side.

There are more birthdays this month (mine being one of them) and a weekend away too, so the plan is much the same as February: At least 5 x FD800s a week for the first 2 weeks then look to switch onto the classic 5:2 if I need a bit more flexibility in my eating patterns and to stick to Dry Til Friday.

Losing 8lbs (though now 5.5lb with the weekend’s small gain) in February, kickstarted with the F800 approach has been hugely motivating and I’m resolving to keep up the momentum in March!

Have a great day all 🙂

Day 1 USA (Illinois) FD

Mega March thanks to @stitchincarol for the great prelude to a Momentous March! And @lilymartin for guiding our great group through February. You Down Under folk are just terrific. It was a WordsWithFriends Aussie friend who alerted me to this WOL when I said I wanted to lose weight and get more fit. I am ever thankful for that conversation in March 2016. Whew… I am on my 6th year anniversary this month! I then found this website and @coda for the May 2016 challenge. I haven’t missed one since.

I am a 73 y.o. married woman, 4 grown far-flung children, 5 granddaughters. I am a singer, musician, and director of a choir that has had to quit singing due to COVID. We hope to start up again in the summer though! I make effort to get to Silver Sneakers (senior citizen exercise class) that is 3x a week. With my first stint of 10 months I lost about 40 pounds (18 kg) and have pretty good about maintaining 160 +/1 5 pounds ever since. (72.5 kg) but right now that +5 has been lingering. I tend to lose 3-4 pounds on a FD but then it hops right back on. I hope March will get me back closer to 160#.

I volunteer at our local Children’s Museum and this weekend will judge singers and pianists at a high school music contest.

Mega prayers for Ukraine who is suffering so much.

Hope to keep up with all of you wonderful peeps this month!

Onward and downward.

USA. Day 1. FD

Can’t believe we are in another month!! Time flies! I thought I would start the month with a bang by doing a FD.

Have a great day, everyone!

Day 1- 16:8 CD
    Yesterday report

– [x] FD 800
    – [x] Cardio

Today’s weigh-in to start the month is 139.2. For my height that is near the top of the healthy BMI (although I recently found out how sketchy the BMI is as a health indicator, it is still used by my Dr and insurance to label me ‘healthy weight or overweight ’ so I am using it as a rough estimate of my ‘don’t want to exceed weight’)

Whilst that weight is a nice number less than Feb 1 weight, my measurements seem pretty much🤷🏽‍♀️ the same as they were a month ago. Maybe a 1/2 inch less in hips& shoulders. March 1 accountability: Waist 27 in/69cm. Hips 39.5/ 100cm. Shoulders 39.7 inches/101cm. Height 5’3+”/ 161 cm

It is what it is. Not the body shape I’d personally have chosen, but serviceable and thus far pretty sturdy. Exorcising the 70’s and 80’s image of how a woman should look when I try to objectively see myself in the mirror is probably something I’ll never completely conquer so I need to be mindful.

I have two full length mirrors in my house – one in the guest bedroom/office and one in mine. Does anyone else have the experience that two mirrors don’t agree? One seems to be kind, I think I look smart and well put together in it. The other is unforgiving and makes me feel dumpy. I must just assume the reality lies somewhere in between. And then I work hard to recognize that this is about my health.

@stitchincarol Your words about ‘hope’ and @funshipfreddie yours about ‘try’ (although I did hear YODA in my head when I read your post, @funshipfreddie😂) are giving me lots to think about. Especially as I begin to enter weight maintenance- a stage at which I’ve never in the past been very successful.

So lots to ruminate over and a busy day ahead! The weather is quite lovely and a big change from last week- might just be I can do my cardio hoop exercise outside today!

Good thoughts to all!

Second post

@babs_b That’s not a bad gain at ALL given how you described the previous days, and I’m sure that some serious attention to restraint will quickly discharge that small gain. Do you think February’s discipline has reduced your overall appetite?

LOL, @songbirdme, I can’t believe the Queen of Maintenance is the first one to use the forbidden “hope” word! 🤣🤣🤣 Care to rephrase your plan for March??? ❤️

@ccco Great way to start the month!

@mariaelena 139.2 is a new low, isn’t it? You’ve been so quiet about your success, but I believe you have been consistent about sticking to your RESOLVE ever since you started and deserve lots and lots and lots of kudos for your determination!!! I do know for a certainty that, just as you can gain ten pounds and only barely have it show up in your waist for the first week or more, you can lose ten pounds and only barely have it show up anywhere for even longer. What if you keep on the same losing path until your DH is horrified at how skinny you are? At that point, when you change to maintenance, you’re likely to gain a few pounds, which is something you’ll want at that point. Is there any sense in that to your thinking?

Okay, I slept for almost two more hours, so now I feel good and can record my March 1 weight as 145.8…not nearly as nice as what was happening in December, but it will go back down and I will NOT let it go back up this time. And now I have twenty minutes before a piano student knocks on my door so I must finish getting ready.

Small decisions make big changes. Believe it!

Pocket List Day 1
    @high5
    @songbirdme
    @stitchincarol WF
    @ccco

@stitchincarol — MY BAD! Okay… yes, ma’am.

*I RESOLVE to get to my ideal maintenance weight of 160 pounds.*

Third post

@songbirdme You crack me up!! 😂🤣😂🤣

Day 2, dithering, Aus

That sums up my mindset this morning; so I need to commit!! OMAD it will be which may well qualify as a FD (I have some leftovers for lunch but they’re not too calorific).

31.1.22 92.9 14’ 9”
    28.2.22 91.5 14’ 6”

So – 3 lbs for the Feb.
    Not quite as much as I’d hoped, but still heading in the right direction.

Reaching 90 kg will be a huge milestone for me.

Just upped weekly exercise and decreased alcohol a bit, so expecting the same or a bit better for March.

Tue’s is FAST day for me, and almost done – tucked away 700 cals today. Sat in lots of layers because I always get cold on a FAST day. Grrrr. Or should I say Brrrr!

Thanks for hosting Carol 🙂

Day 3, NFD, Gold Coast Qld Australia- WEDNESDAY 3rd March

I’m always looking for inspiration and motivation where I can find it and came across this blog in support of leading an alcohol free life (which I am exploring myself). However these tips MOMENTOUSLY also apply equally to us on our weight reduction endeavours.

So here it is (quoted from THIS NAKED MIND), perhaps it resonates with you too.

“Do you keep getting pushed down the priority list and things just feel out of control?

I so get it. Breaking out of the routines we set can be difficult, especially when we have unhealthy habits tied to them. It takes work and finding the right mindset to do that work can be a struggle.

The great news is that you can still choose yourself in 2022. There are 306 days left to choose you in 2022! That is a pretty grand number.

Here are 5 steps so you can take control now and throughout 2022.

1) Start With One
    Obviously, we’d like to snap our fingers like Mary Poppins and have everything in our lives fall into place. That isn’t realistic though. So pick one thing that you need to take control of and master before you move on.

2) Start With Something Easy
    Use that positive feeling to create momentum. You don’t have to tackle the elephant in the room first. One of the areas I am trying to address this year is my organization. I know disorganization and clutter contribute to my anxiety. I chose the smallest source of my clutter and disorganization first so that I could celebrate a victory and feel encouraged to keep going. So my desk looks amazing and now I’m ready to aim a bit bigger.

3) Change What You Choose
    Sometimes the way we phrase what we’re taking control of can factor into our mindset. You’ll notice I didn’t say that I was trying to control my anxiety above. That seems like a momentous task. Getting organized though sounds manageable and positive. Maybe you started the year with the goal of controlling your drinking (OR eating behaviours?) and that has messed with your mindset. What would happen if you changed that to choosing to be in control of your wellness? How does that feel mentally?

4) Don’t Start At The Action
    The best way you can get started is by not taking action. That’s right. Don’t force yourself to take control. Willpower and forced change are not a sustainable way to do things. Start with knowledge. Change what you know and how you believe and see where things go from there. There’s a natural progression when we empower ourselves with the knowledge that leads us to want to change and take control. (Thank you Michael Mosley for enlightening us with knowledge!)

5) Take Control With Others
    Taking control of whatever it is that you’re choosing in 2022 shouldn’t be a solo journey. We need connection and we need to feel as if we are not alone in our struggles. Whether it’s wanting to drink less, (eat better) get organized, change careers, become body positive, or whatever your goal is when it comes to choosing you in 2022 – find support and a community to be your backup. (MOMENTOUS MARCH is OUR back-up and support!)
    306 days left to choose you”

These steps resonated with me and perhaps will for you too!
    cheers
    Linda

Day 3, NFD, Gold Coast Qld Australia- WEDNESDAY 3rd March

Forgot to thank @stitchincarol for kind words. I am 5’8″. Lucky me, the reason I’ve been able to focus on the 5:2 is that my office is in my home, unfortunately next to the kitchen (lol!) but, as I’m on my own now, I can concentrate on fresh veg and meat/fish cuisine, loads and loads of water and unlimited tea while working (No alcohol till reached goal.. which also gives me clarity of purpose). Also I am coeliac so have never indulged in cakes, pastries, and other treats at home. Yes I know these days GF treats are available in the supermarkets but, as a coeliac, I grew up living without and it doesn’t bother me not to have them in the house. (That’s a different story if I am out and there is a delicious GF tart … gobble it up!)… but I’m not actually socialising much at the moment, just Trivia with a golf club meal on Wednesday night with the gals. Once I’ve achieved my goals and feeling better about life, I will resume a social life and my WOL with a 6:1 regime. Mind you, all of the above doesn’t mean its easy! Nothing worthwhile is ever easy! lol! But it’s not impossible and is do-able for me!

Day 2, U.K. NFD

Good fast day yesterday…. Not sure exact number of calories consumed due to having only 1/2 a hand! (One I. Plaster and one in splint!)

Plaster hopefully off this week and then mri scan next week. Fingers crossed!

(But then I’ll have to weigh myself 😱!)

Fast day planned for Thursday.

@stitchincarol
    @at

SIIM Land is a whacky Lithuanian guy who is into the science of health.
    I had to pay about $30 (on offer) for the article but it is a super interesting read and at least 60% of it is about fasting. The rest is longevity focussed and looking at the new science around NAD levels.

I’ll see if I can dig out the link!

Day 2 – South Africa 🇿🇦 – NFD

@songbirdme – you uttered the ‘H’ word already ?! Busted! 😂

@mariaelena – I must admit I had no idea re your Yoda reference. 🤦‍♂️ I vaguely knew who he was, but I’ve never been into Star Wars (love Star Trek!) so I Googled it. But…spot on! I think that could be my new mantra – “Do or do not. There is no try” ~ Yoda

@linda.b – it’s day 2! The days are zooming by fast enough as it is. 😅 ‘This Naked Mind’ – great book & blog!

Happy Hump Day y’all 🐫 See you on the pocket list tomorrow 🎯

Day 2 – Ireland 🇮🇪 – NFD

Weigh in : 163.4lbs

So a pound down after an NFD and two lemon pancakes for dinner, result. I would say the WFD from Monday also helped. Haven’t been here since November 2021, so resolve to count down the pounds and the previous dates……love the Yoda reference @funshipfreddie – “Do or do not. There is no try”. 😆

@stitchincarol, our lemon pancakes were simply pancakes (more crepes than American style pancakes) with lemon and honey drizzled. DH made them, I had 2, vey filing. Now it’s Lent but I never give up anything, just practice moderation.

Lots of great inspirational posts. Feeling very motivated. Happy hump day and see you all on the pocket list tomorrow.

Day 2 – Lake district UK – NFD

Good morning everyone

@stitchincarol – You mind reading or something? The brewery is opening up today! I tend not to brew during winter, bit cool out there, plus I have plenty of ‘stock’ at the moment.
    Having said that, over the weekend I had a bottle that was brewed almost 2 years to the day and it was fantastic, matured very well. I’ve found the beers I brew start to be at their best when been bottled and left for 12 weeks from brewed, so need to keep stock level up, especially once the BBQ weather and friends arrive!
    I don’t get why they have sell by/use by dates on bottles/cans of beer, I’ve had beers I’ve brewed five years old and they’ve been fine.

Busy morning now, FD tomorrow.

Take care all

Day 2 (&1), London, UK, FD800

Again!!! I’m late on parade😖😖 I wrote the bulk of this post yesterday, then didn’t post it!!! Uurgh!!!Anyway ………………

A little about me – late 40’s, Civil engineer, started 5:2 at the end of 2016, joined these challenges in Feb ’17, lost 44lbs (slowly as I’m not exactly disciplined!) put a large chunk of that back on over 2 lockdowns, selling my flat, looking to buy a house and coping with a debilitating illness that hit my beautiful mum out of the blue!!

I’ve decided to try to get back to a happy weight by sticking to the FD800 programme for at least the next 12 weeks!!! I’m confident I can do it, I just need to remind myself when the RESOLVE wavers, that it isn’t for ever and whatever takes my fancy will still be there in 12 weeks’ time!! So, this WILL BE Sober March, April & May, carbs will be limited to veg and I’m going to ensure protein is >50g/day😬. I’m confident!!

Thanks @stitchincarol for guiding us through March, I feel THIS is the month my mojo sticks with me🙏🏽🙏🏽🙏🏽

Recent self-sabotage has been banished, throwing caution to the wind is a very slippery slope and my health & self esteem have taken a pounding because I took my eye off the ball, got complacent and didn’t reign the dragon in when the numbers were climbing daily on the scales!!!

@linda.b, thanks for the 5 steps to taking control, I’ll print them & stick them on the fridge next to my meal plan, I’m feeling very confident!!!

@high5, I would definitely weigh myself with the cast for my March start point, then miraculously lose 5lbs when it’s removed😜😜 ……………………… well, nobody said which weight we have to lose, I’ve considered amputation on many, many occasions!!!!!🤣🤣

My plan for the foreseeable future ………………….
    * 2-3L water/day
    * FD800 EVERY day – without fail
    * <50g carbs & >50g protein
    * Walk with Leslie at least 4x/week
    * Booze free – without fail ………………… (I’m using the ‘F’ word instead of the ‘H’ word)😂

Yesterday’s FD at 800cals was a filling mushroom omelette with pickles then a large roast beef salad, the kitchen door didn’t give me it’s usual ‘come hither’ look EVERY time I walked by, and today I’m 1lb down and pretty confident that it’s ALL in the planning, so each week my menu will be planned & posted on the fridge & that will be that!!!💪🏽💪🏽………………….🙏🏽

“There’s no shortage of remarkable ideas, what’s missing is the will to execute them.” – Seth Godin

Day 2 – UK – FD800

Hello from a grey & rainy London. Yesterday ended up being pretty well controlled – I wasn’t able to tot up all my cals but it wasn’t an evening of indulgence at all. Our friend was really considerate in her food choices knowing we didn’t want to veer too far off track with our weight loss efforts. Bless her.

I’m back to weighing daily and was down 0.75lbs this morning so only 1lb to go until I’m back where I was last week before the big weekend blowout. We have no big events planned now until a short break away next weekend so plenty of time to pick up some momentum.

I enjoyed eating the food at the weekend but nowhere near as much as I would’ve done before and yes @stitchincarol my appetite is definitely a lot lower already. I’ve managed to break the chocolate habit / addiction too!

Having to dash today, but will catch up tomorrow. Have a lovely day all!

Pocket list day 2 🌻
    @flourbaby
    @babs_b

Day 2 – USA/GA – FD

Weigh-in: 213 lbs. Had a rough day at work where I had to lay down the law regarding policy — sometimes the easy thing is not the right thing.

@stitchincarol At work, we have a joke for these hotel convention type meals: “rubber chicken dinners,” because chicken is almost always the main course, is tasteless and tough, and seems pre-formed into the shape of a fake chicken thigh and part of the breast. But yes, I feel like I should clear my plate at these formal events!

Here goes my last WFD of the week!

Pocket list day 2 🌻
    @flourbaby
    @babs_b
    @northgeorgia

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 434 total)

You must be logged in to reply.