Miserable and hungry :((

This topic contains 27 replies, has 20 voices, and was last updated by  Matrika 9 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

• Hello everyone, first day today and feeling miserable, hungry, shivery and a left sided headache…does this pass?. I need to lose 4 stone so really keen to make this work. Just accepted a new job, and want to look my best..appreciate i have a while to go. Joined here today and have enjoyed reading some posts.
    Good luck to us all :-)))
    Catrina x

lizzie141, yes, it will pass. Hopefully your next fast day will be a little easier, and the next a little easier than that one, and so on. What is your eating/drinking/activity plan for the day?

Hi and welcome:

Here are some tips for those just starting 5:2: http://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/warnings-to-newbies/

Good Luck!

Dear Lizzie

I am only in my second week and the fast days have got better.

My first one, I also was shakey (rather than shivery) and whilst not miserable was feeling “hollow” but also had a headache.

Could that be down to dehydration and not drinking enough? For me it wasn’t as I had drunk loads, I put it down to my body having a bit of a shock but since then, I haven’t had the same problems.

It gets better.

Good luck for the new job

Thanks everyone,
    your comments are much appreciated :))
    I got through the first day, and went to bed fantasising about what i could have for breakfast the following morning!, i kid you not, lol.
    Yesterday, i stuck to keeping it healthy, lots of water and did a 40 minute power walk last night (Doing the race for life on 18th of this month).
    Today has been good also, lots of fruit and veg and a healthy low fat chicken dish this evening for dinner. plus some wine.
    Tomorrow is my second fast day, and i am dreading it, tbh, but thanks for your reassurance that it gets easier. Doing the 36 hour fast…last meal at 730pm, then mostly water and green tea planned for tomorrow, with probably my 500 cals tomorrow evening in one sitting, to try and not go to bed hungry.
    All in all, day 3 and i am feeling positive, and also very determined to succeed.
    Thanks again everyone,
    Good luck to all of us πŸ™‚

Hi lizzie, I had to smile at some of your comments and fears about your fasting experiences and hopes. Not in a sarcastic way mind, but in an “I have got the “T” shirt” kind of a way. I hope you dont mind some encouragement about your efforts. Remove any sense of possible failure or thoughts of how difficult the next day or your next fast day will be. You have had a success by completing a fast day. Dwell on how positive you have completed it and dwell on those thoughts. You are never hungry only “Comfortably empty”. A feeling easily experienced and easy to deal with. You will not go to bed hungry but “Fully satisfied” with your success in completing an easily achievable fast day.
    Good luck.

Hi CC,
    Thanks so very much for your comments. How wise you must be!, you have in a few sentences turned my thought processes around, and i have a new confidence boost!. When i am struggling or feeling deprived i shall re-read your comments.
    Thanks for your encouragement, and good luck in your journey.
    Have a lovely evening,
    Catrina x

Hi everyone,
    Well, it’s my second fast day today, and although already a wee bit hungry, i am determined to get through it and just have water and green tea, till dinner this evening.
    Feeling more confident, that i can do this, and maybe go for a walk after work and before dinner.
    Happy fasting all πŸ™‚

Ditto everything Couscous says, and I also find it helps, when you get hunger pangs, to visualise those as a little bit more fat dissolving away…

@strar

“hunger pangs, to visualise those as a little bit more fat dissolving away…”

Yes, I’ve heard it say as: Hunger is just fat leaving the body.

➰

Thanks everyone,
    Well, second fast day is going really well πŸ™‚
    Green tea and water during the day, and went for a power walk after work for 1 hour 10 mins. Feeling really positive and soooo looking forward to dinner…garlic and rosemary chicken breasts (314 cals) and some fresh veg (100 cals).
    So, day 4 and ejoying it so far…thanks to everyone on here. This site really has been a Godsend for me.
    Catrina x

Hello everyone,
    Well it’s my third week, and it really does get easier πŸ™‚
    I am not jumping for joy at the thought of a fast day, but not dreading it either.
    Have decided fast days are Monday and Thursday, and have also fasted today, as had quite a high calorie day yesterday. Due to be wieghed tomorrow, but so far have lost 3 and a 1/2 lbs.
    Did the race for life last week and have been incorporating 1 hr long power walks twice this week.
    I start my new job on Monday, and feel confident and looking forward to it.
    I have a long way to go, but i am determined to continue.
    Hope everyone else is getting good results πŸ™‚

Lizzie , I found that regular headache medicine always worked when fasting gave a head ache. Less food for me means less water, because I usual do most of my drinking when eating.
    However I come to point where I enjoy drinking teas in the evening just an hour or so after my last meal. Packed with vitamins and antioxidants I keep experimenting with non calorie teas, Green tee is my my staple.
    Also going to bed early helped with not snacking.
    When I first started I found that nibbling at food even just a little. Let the hunger genie out of the bottle , a fellow poster once said. By week 8 you should see some results , if not. You may need to look at the carb totals on non fasting days.
    Best wishes.

Lizzie, I am glad to hear that things get easier. I have just started my first fast day and I am having a rough go. I’m a little light headed and shaky. I’m hoping that my second fast day will be much easier. I will be doing my fasts on Tues/Thurs each week and exercising on Mon, Wed, Fri. Glad to hear that you are doing well on it.

Hi there Lizzie & Schnauzerlady – I’ve just endured fast day number one and am tired and a bit low. Looking forward to breakfast, but know how careful I still need to be on non-fasting days. How are you getting on?

Good morning Clara,
    Congratulations on getting through day one!!! Well done πŸ™‚
    I see you don’t have a post of you own yet, so have replied to you on here, and hope you pick it up.
    For me the first day was really the worst, and i remember thinking i would never be able to continue with it. Thankfully i found this site and really gathered the strength to carry on. People assured me that it would get better…and they were right!.
    I think having two regular fast days per week helps, then you know where you are at, can be organised, and are less likely to put fasting off.
    Come on here, talk with us, find information, or just spout how you are feeling…we have all been there and probably will be again, if i’m honest, but we are all keen to help each other πŸ™‚
    I have quite a lot to lose, around 4 stone, but i am taking it slowly, one day at a time, trying to do a bit more power walking, and being sensible on my non-fast days.
    Have you worked out how many calories to have on your non-fast days yet?. I worked out at 1800 cals per day, and try to stick to that, which after 500 cals, seems rather a lot.
    I hope you have a good day, and are feeling better. Please come on here if you need a little support, or have any questions….you are not alone πŸ™‚
    I hope you have a lovely day,
    Catrina.

Many thanks Catrina. Really good to see your encouraging comments. I expected to eat much too much today, but wasn’t all that desperate for food, or not until the old snacking-while-cooking habit kicked in again ;). I’ll try and tackle that in due course, but to start with I want to ensure I feel confident with the fast days. Take care.

Hi Lizzie,

I enjoyed reading your post because a) I also have 4 stone to lose, b) I’m starting a new job in 8 weeks that I want to look good for, and c) I’m STARVING! This is my 3rd fast, and I’m determined not to listen to my stomach and eat a whole pizza. (God, even typing the word pizza….)

I only lost 1 pound in my first week because I am overeating on the non fast days, which I need to sort out. Glad to see that you are doing well.

LD
    X

Hi Lizzie,

The way I get through my fasting days is to have a hot drink in hand at all times. I will have a coffee with a dash of skinny milk and a sugar, and throughout the day I have alternate green tea with a teaspoon of honey with a simple herbal tea (no honey / sugar). I also make sure I have a bottle of water on hand when I am getting from A to B. I tell myself if I am hungry to take a sip, so I am always putting something in my body. I too save my meal for night time, that way I have a healthy protein and heaps of veggie AND I always have calories left over for a trim instant hot choc and apple.

A few other things. Hunger comes in waves. Michael said this in his documentary and I really do believe this, it does not build and build, so let it come and go, you aren’t hungry the whole day, just at the top of the wave sometimes and it will pass!

And most importantly this “lifestyle” does work! I have been on every type of diet you can think of, weight watchers, lemon detox, calorie counting and no other diet works quite like this because it is only 2 days out of seven that you have to think about what you are eating, or not eating as it may be. I do my fasts on Mondays and Thursdays because on Monday I have indulged over the weekend and Thursday I am gearing up for the weekend, so I think mentally that helps.

I was 65.5kg when I started 10 weeks ago and now I am 59.5kg. So 5 kgs over 10 weeks isn’t bad considering I am only 164cm so didn’t have heaps to lose. I had weeks when I didn’t lose but then two weeks later a kilo would come off in one week. And no major exercise I do yoga 2 times a week and run once a week.

So don’t give in. It does get easier. I look forward to my fasting days now so I can “reset”. This is a lifestyle that is so simple, my life is soooo much better for it. No more saying no to dinner invites, stressing about nibbles at parties. I’m converted!

Good luck!

When I started last week the main issue for me was intense stomach cramps. They have lessened but can still wake me at night.

Hi all,

This is my second day of fasting on a low 500 calories. It was hard on Tuesday but I survived. I do follow Ayurveda ˌthe traditional Hindu system of medicine, which is based on the idea of balance in bodily systems and uses diet, herbal treatment, and yogic breathing. It incorporates different levels of fasting depending on what you are trying to achieve.

On Tuesday i think I had withdrawal from carbs! Today I decided to have lunch and dinner only. So far so good. Will keep you updated. Good luck all.

Hi
    I am on my third week and I find it a bit strange, some fast days are very easy, I don’t feel hungry at all and some are very difficult, feeling hungry and a bit weak, like today, I’m hoping to get to a point where it’s quite easy all the time, Would this happen in your experience?
    I’m trying to alternate the times of the day in which I consume my 600 cals, didn’t find the magic formula yet πŸ˜‰

Thanks a lot for your insight
    Daniel

Valarielouise,

So good to see your reply and it is so encouraging. you have the same starting size as me so it is good to hear that 5kg off in 10 weeks is also possible for ladies our size!! How do you go now one month later?? πŸ™‚

Hi
    This is my 5th week and I have to admit I hit my lowest point on Monday (fasting day). I comfort eat and after having a rough day at work I came home with an overwhelming urge to ‘hit the fridge’ IT WAS SOOOOOO TOUGH I must have opened and closed the fridge about a dozen times before I reached in and cut my self a bowl full of Water melon. I also save my calories for a meal around 7.30pm on my fasting days as I find that then I don’t get the urge to ‘raid the fridge’. Reading through the other posts I wonder if I’m missing something. Others have had headaches etc when they started but I didn’t, No shakes, shivers or headaches. Around lunch time when I would normally have had a sandwich I did feel hungry but I kept myself busy and was fine. I don’t know how much I weigh and I don’t want to know my GP has my starting weight and is monitoring me. In about a month I will going back to see her and also to see if I have lost weight. If I have it will be a miracle as I’ve tried every type of diet there is even being prescribed weight loss pills (which didn’t work) so it will be interesting.

I’m not calorie counting on my non fast days but I have noticed that at first I was hitting the fridge like a woman possessed but 5 weeks in I find that on my non fast days I’m not eating as much as I used to and that when I do eat I’m picking up more veggies/fruit and am drinking a lot more water, in fact I now have a water bottle with slices of lemon in it on my desk, refilling it throughout the day. I hadn’t eaten a slice of bread in over a 2 weeks (until last night) but it hasn’t bothered me. I know that I have a lot to lose more than 4 stone but somehow this time it feels different.

Can anyone give me some ideas of any exercises I could do? I can’t walk very far due to arthritis in both hips and a curvature of the spine so even at work I tend to keep walking to just above the minimum otherwise I end up being stuck in bed zonked out on painkillers.

Hi GerryStar,

So sorry it has taken me so long to reply. I have been tied down with university work. I am happy to update that my current weight is 56.6kgs. So in 19 weeks (4 months 3 weeks) I have lost 8.9kgs. This averages out to 470g a week. I did plateau at for about a 3 weeks at 58.85kg, so I took others advice and added another day, so I was doing Mon/Tue Thur or Mon Wed/Thu, and that seemed to move things along. I am still doing three days, as I have a two week holiday coming up and want to bank some extra credits, but once I get back and am back to 56.6kg I will drop back to two days. Please check in with me πŸ™‚ I have only been this small once before, and that was when I cut out coffee, sugar, and carbs. This is so much more doable!

This is my first fast day and not feeling too bad, kept busy by cleaning, pulled everything out and felt better for doing it. Having a large salad tonight with tuna, hopefully a swim before dinner and a walk this evening. It’s good to know that there’s always someone there to share tips with.

Hi Lady Lavender, I love swimming & wondered if that would be ok for you. This is my first fast day and at the moment I feel fine. I have 2 st to lose and whilst it’s not that much I do think it’s just as hard trying to lose a little. I’m 5ft 3 and most of my clothes are more than comfortable. Keep positive, I’m trying to keep busy today then tomorrow’s another day.

Hi Pandora27, glad your first day has gone so well so far. I hope it continues that way for you. I’m off for a swim myself on my way home (always try to exercise mostly on my fastdays) and I think it woyuld be a great option for you too Lady Lavender. If you’re not that keen on the actual swimming then you could also look into aqua-fit or aqua-aerobic classes. Most pools run them these days and I haven’t been to one myself for years but I remember it being a shock how much you could really wear yourself out in a pool without encountering any of the impact that you would get from things like running, cycling or even just walking.

If you are comfortable in the water you can even have a go at HIT, as treading water furiously for a minute is just as tiring as running flat out for the same time I assure you. πŸ˜‰

Best of luck.

Hi Lady Lavendar,
    Hydrotherapy pools with warm water for injured people to exercise in are pretty good. They are shallow so you can walk up and down in them and it doesn’t stress your joints. After you have done a few weeks of walking up and down,more tiring than you may expect, get a hydrotherapy book and look for the exercises that suit you to exercise the bits you want to focus on and/or see a physiotherapist who teaches hydrotherapy (teaching hospitals usually have them).

I can’t handle classes because they usually have music and people jumping around…I really like having the pool to myself and doing my own thing. I got tennis elbow in a teacher led class in a heated pool and wont return to them…not much consideration of people who have injuries or are unfit I found and the teachers in my area were all early twenties and very fit and aiming the level way above where I was at.

I’ve had a few injuries that I need to work with/around and I give myself a lot of time to do what feels right for me and I don’t compare myself to other people’s level of fitness, I just compare myself to how I was last week and keep at it. It is a very good feeling to have spent a half hour in a hydro pool because when you get out, you realize what the feeling of weightlessness and no stress on your joints was like, when gravity hits again. Good luck.:)

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply.