Mindful May ☯️ 2024 Challenge

This topic contains 236 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by  stitchincarol 1 month, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 151 through 200 (of 236 total)

• Day 20 – South Africa 🇿🇦 – NFD 69.8 kg

@stitchincarol – the sound of squawking seagulls remind me of childhood summer hols too. But the seagulls here are oddly quiet compared to the ones in the UK.

@ccco – I’m so glad you joined me on yesterday’s very short pocket list!

@merryapple – yes, still nostalgic even after the dreaded Covid! But I was lucky enough to have retired two years before all that started. I wouldn’t go back to working on them for any amount of money, but I’d still take a cruise. 11 more days to get below that 73! 💪🎯

Are we treating HIGH CHOLESTEROL completely wrong? Dr Suneel Dhand is not a fan of statins. 7.5 minute video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ats0QiOWIDQ

Fun Food Facts

Chickpeas have more names than you think. Chickpeas and garbanzo beans are the same things – along with sanagali, ceci beans, chana, and bengal gram. Additionally, they come in red, black, brown, and pale yellow.

Lima beans are deadly.
    Raw lima beans have lethal amounts of cyanide in them. But, if you cook them thoroughly, you’ll be just fine.

Cauliflower comes in multiple colours.
    Although we typically only see white cauliflower, it actually has purple, orange, and green varieties. Orange and purple cauliflowers have higher antioxidants.

Pocket List – Day 20 🍏
    @merry🍎
    @leoniraats
    @northgeorgia

Day 20, London, UK, FD800

I’m not sure about the 800 cals today as I have egg mayo with little gem lettuce for lunch and Lentil & Bacon soup for dinner. The mayo may tip me over the limit.🤔

@funshipfreddie & @merryapple, if only my house was close to the UK average!!😭 London falls within a bracket all on its own!😡😡 My house is a 1930’s semi in Crystal Palace, and the purchase price is (deep breath!) £675k😩😩😩!! Obviously completely unaffordable had I not made a 600% profit on my flat over the 25 years I had it. The property market here is crazy, I’m just lucky I got on the housing ladder in 1998 before things exploded like they did. I feel sorry for the young-uns trying to find a somewhere to live, other than with mum & dad, 😥 even the rental market is crazy with 2-bed flats renting for £2k per month😱, crazy! @merryapple, I’ll paint the red dining room in a very neutral colour until I settle in and redecorate, I just HAVE to redo that room prior to moving in, everything else can wait!

@funshipfreddie, that house is lovely, a bit more green space & I would buy it ………………….. then ship it to London!!🤣🤣 I skimmed that sentence about wine ingredients, what you don’t know can’t hurt you!!!🍷🍷🍷

@metatauta, congrats 🥳🥳 on the new grandbaby!!!

Seagulls in the UK scare the bejesus out of me!!! They’re a good 2.5 Ft tall, muscular and no doubt carrying a flick-knife so they can mug you for your chips or ice-cream with ease!!! @brightonbelle will back me up, they’re menacing!!😨😱😨

I haven’t lived!! I’ve only seem pale yellow chickpeas and never seen an orange cauliflower!!

Right, I’m off to do some work, keep the faith folks!!!

“Walking is man’s best medicine”
    — Hippocrates

2nd Post – Day 20

Pocket List – Day 20 🍏
    @merry🍎
    @leoniraats
    @northgeorgia
    @flourbaby FD800+/-

Day 20 – USA/GA – FD

Weigh-in: 233 lbs. Eww, I can feel the carb bloat some mornings, and this is one of them. The family reunion was great, and the food was effective in packing on the pounds. Today will be an easy FD. Tomorrow evening, I have a business thing with lots of food, but I think I can sneak out of that after attending and not have to eat a bite.

Pocket List – Day 20 🍏
    @merry🍎
    @leoniraats
    @northgeorgia
    @flourbaby FD800+/-

Day 20 – Rural Nebraska, USA- NFD

As soon as I start teaching piano lessons again, in a week or two, depending on the students’ schedules, I’ll get back to at least one regular and real FD each week; for now, I’m truly focused on the mental skills I’m getting from the Wondr program. I haven’t managed yet to listen to much of the videos for this week, as we had to take DH’s car in for scheduled repairs this morning, and that’s thrown off my whole day, LOL!

So, no chatter at all from other than that, as I need to get back at things.

Have a grand one, everyone!

Day 21 – South Africa 🇿🇦 – NFD

@flourbaby – UK seagulls?! 🤣 And a red dining room?! 😱 What were they thinking? I once read something about the colour red stimulating the appetite, which is why restaurants are often decorated in that colour. “According to research published in Frontiers in Psychology, this is rooted in the body’s biological response to red, which is known to increase your heart rate and blood pressure. This stimulates the body’s metabolism, increasing the urge to eat more while creating feelings of excitement around food”. £675,000?! Madness. In South Africa you could buy a small village, I think?! 🤯

A 30 minute run or 10,000 steps?
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-13438731/run-walk-steps-study-weight-loss.html

Very quiet on here, & not a lot of fasting going on 🧐 10 more days left of ‘Mindful May!’ Gotta dash 🏃‍♂️

Fun Food Facts

Thomas Jefferson made pasta popular in the U.S.
    Thomas Jefferson is responsible for bringing the first macaroni machine over to the U.S. after spending time in France.
    He was also the one who introduced mac and cheese to Americans.

Margherita pizza is named after a queen.
    When King Umberto I and Queen Margherita visited Naples, they wanted a change from their fancy food and asked for pizza, which was food for the poor back then. The queen loved the mozzarella pizza so much that it ended up being named after her.

No one knows the origin of chocolate chip cookies.
    There are a few ideas of where this popular recipe came from.
    One suggests Ruth Wakefield, the creator of chocolate chip cookies, ran out of nuts for ice cream cookies and used chocolate instead.
    Others suggest chocolate chunks accidentally fell into the mixer, but the true story has never been confirmed.

Day 21, London, UK, FD800

Well, there was a bit of babybel snacking yesterday, I’m not sure why, perhaps my fat & protein at 800 cals wasn’t enough(?) More research required! At least I didn’t reach for the toast!!

@northgeorgia, is there a chance you could swerve the carbs and set yourself a task of enjoying these events but ONLY indulge in low carb options? Sticking to meats & cheese and above ground veg, salads etc? If you can’t possibly swerve the actual events, perhaps you can swerve the carbs!!💪🏼💪🏼

@funshipfreddie, I’ll need to have the paintbrush at the ready for Day 1, the very, very last thing I need is an appetite stimulating dining room!!!😨😨😨As for the seagulls, Brighton is the No1 hotspot for seagull attacks ……………………. https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=710105619586898 ………………………. Truly savage!!

Yes, it’s a little quiet here today, I’m feeling a little out of sorts, perhaps it’s a worldwide phenomenon! I struggled to get out of bed this morning, I was exhausted after 8hrs sleep!🤔 I went downstairs 1st thing, let Bo-Bo out then jumped in the shower, with limited time I went downstairs in undies & vest, to get Bo-Bo back in for breakfast (sometimes he comes back in to eat then out again for the day, or he stays in if he smells rain!) as I was rinsing my coffee cup I could see a ginger bundle at the end of the garden, thought it was Bo-Bo; then Bo-Bo came sauntering up the path, surprising the snoozing FOX!!!!😱 Well, the fox started chasing, Bo-Bo started running towards the house, I whirled around to get the back door open, clipped the paper recycling bin with my ankle, went down hard on both knees, scrambled up and ran outside still HALF dressed!!😲 The fox ran off and I grabbed Bo-Bo from the top of the fence, he was unhurt, but I was shaking for a good ½ hour afterwards, my poor heart nearly gave out!💞Not to mention the grazed & bloody knees and ankle!! 🩹🤕🩹……………………………. I’m either getting a sling-shot or a BB gun or moving house ………………… 🙄Oh yes!!!😊😊

I can’t believe its only Tuesday, my body thinks it’s Friday!!😬 Maybe the missing/late posts are due to everyone feeling the same!!

“The Pessimist Sees Difficulty In Every Opportunity. The Optimist Sees Opportunity In Every Difficulty.” – Winston Churchill

Day 21-No.VA USA-FD 800

Checking in quickly for accountability today. Weight is stable; would like to go down a bit by the end of the month, though. (Wouldn’t most of us like that?)
    @flourbaby, sorry to hear of your unfortunate encounter with the fox! They are everywhere around here, but very stealthy so often we hear them and don’t see them. But raccoons are more of a problem–back to eating the cat’s food on the porch, I noticed this morning. This causes my husband to plot against them with his pellet gun….

Day 21 – USA/GA – FD

Weigh-in: 230 lbs. Decided to do FD500s this week instead of WFDs to see if the better stability will help the weight loss get a momentum going into the holiday weekend. I should be able to do 3 FDs in a row this way, too. Here’s to day two.

@flourbaby That’s a thought. In some cases, yes, in other cases, no. For example, next week will likely be a sandwich with chips and a dessert at lunch. I often skip the cookie, can try not to eat as many chips or skip those…but you’re left with a sandwich, and whether that is a chicken filet sandwich, or a healthier chicken salad or turkey and cheese club, it looks horrible to pick the meat out of the bun in that setting (sitting shoulder to shoulder around a short width table). What I can try to do more is if I am forced into a high carb situation, try to balance that out with few to no carbs at the next meal — and avoid snacking that carbs cause a few hours later! Anyway, hope you recover after that horrible fox incident!

Pocket list – day 21
    @flourbaby
    @excelsior12309
    @northgeorgia

Day 21 – Rural Nebraska, USA – NFD – 161.8

Starting around 10 o’clock last night, we had wild storms come through our area, and at one point the siren went off to take cover because we were in threat of a tornado. Nothing happened, and we don’t even have all that many branches down from our five trees that are constantly losing tiny branches and occasionally big branches, but we did get a total of 7inches of rain, which is, of course, unheard of. But because of the lightning flashes, crashes of thunder, and crazy wind and rain against the windows, the electricy going out something like five times, both DH and I were awake much of the night, and when I finally got back to sleep, I didn’t wake up until 9:40. And more storms are forecast for today. Ugh.

Second post

Just for the record, I was terrified of thunder and lightning storms when I first moved to Nebraska in 1986. I’m much better now–but not so much when they’re dramatic. Not when the radar is pure orange right where I am. And I’ve suddenly gone to a Hunger Level 3. Or perhaps I just want to drown my fear in food, you know? As I type, we’re getting large and loud marble-sized hail. This day is going to be hard to get through with any level of peace.

But I interrupted that paragraph to talk to DS32 in Lincoln where the weather isn’t nearly so extreme, and to eat a leftover hamburger patty of about 3 ounces, and now I’m ready to face my afternoon.

Whew!

May 21 – USA – TN

Going to Chicago to see new granddaughter! Still hovering around 143…

Day 22 – South Africa 🇿🇦 – NFD

@flourbaby – what a morning you had?! I bet Boo Boo – aka ‘snake killer’ – would’ve given that fox a run for its money. She’s fearless, except when it comes to dogs.

@stitchincarol – crikey?! I hope that storm is finally behind you; I would’ve been under the bed with the cat! I hate thunder & lightning.

@metatauta – enjoy the trip & meeting your new granddaughter.

10,000 steps ‘no magic bullet’
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-13441991/10-000-steps-ISNT-magic-bullet-unfit-obsessing-target-false.html

Happy Hump Day! 🐫🕺

Fun Food Facts

Pineapples have no relation to pine.
    The name comes from early explorers. When they saw pineapples for the first time, they thought they looked like pine cones which is how the fruit got its name.

Strawberries are not berries.
    Technically, berries only have seeds on the inside, a rule which is obviously broken by strawberries.

Twinkie cream isn’t cream at all.
    Although the inside is the best part and we’re always excited to get a solid bite of that fluffy goodness, it’s actually vegetable shortening.

Day 22 – Ireland – FD 🚫 ✅ 🚶🏽‍♀️ 🌾.

Hi all!
    I’m back to reality and yes… I’m up by about 4.5lbs… (was it @stitchincarol who wondered?) I could feel it on my clothes and even though I cycled hard for 6 days and covered around 480kms hilly spins over the week but yes… with a breakfast buffet, lunch stops, energy bars and dinners and some drink – not much (and very little bread as need gluten free)…I think it really doesn’t matter what exercise you do… it will still pile on… the only thing is it would be interesting to see what the gain would be..
    🚴‍♀️🥂🏖️ 🇪🇸

I will catch up on posts later but here for a much needed FD today.

Onward and downward ⬇️
    We rise by lifting others 💕

Pocket List Day 22💪
    @jaifaim

Day 22, London, UK, FD800

Morning all!

Late on parade and no time to chatter, I’m very busy at work today.

Yesterdays’ FD went well although I woke up exhausted AGAIN this morning!!🥱🥱 Ankle & knees have scabbed over, thank goodness the rain 😜has returned and the shorts have been banished to the back of the wardrobe again, no scabby legs on show for me!!!😉

@stitchincarol & @funshipfreddie, I love love love stormy weather!!! Loud booming thunder & bright dazzling lightning always brings out the Oohs & Aahs🙌🏼 from me, rather than the Aarghs😱!! that you both experience!!🤣

Welcome back @jaifaim, those pesky lbs are proof of what a great time you had😲, now to swap the saddle for the wagon!!!💪🏼

Must dash, stay strong folks!!

“Some people spend their entire lives waiting for the time to be right to make an improvement.” – James Clear

Day 22 NZ NFD 73.5kg 🏃🏼‍♀️

Wow! Exciting times out there!
    I’m with @flourbaby. I love a good storm! Forked lightning lighting up the night sky, rain on a tin roof, wind in the trees, rainbows forming as a wee bit of sun peaks through…
    I’m pleased the fox ran away at sight of you @flourbaby, on your knees, a manoeuvre that without doubt saved Bo-Bo’s bacon…
    @stitchincarol That’s a fair bit of ☔️ in 24hrs…
    @jaifaim How can this – be unless you have added muscle mass to your physique?? You have covered an impressive distance that’s for sure!!
    @excelsior12309 Better to flat line than to gain…!!
    I have to go to bed. My eyes are closing…
    FD tomorrow….

Good night!😴🌙💤

Hi everyone, Coda here dropping in to say hello on Day 22 Northern Ireland

I had a dream last night – mainly of Songbird but it made me think of the monthly challenges and decided to look you up.

Lovely to see some familiar names – I haven’t read through all the posts but my thoughts are with those that have lost friends and loved ones. You truly are an inspiration and you all should be very proud of yourselves.

Life is such a learning curve – I love your introduction @funshipfreddie about mindfulness. I am truly amazed at how the mind works and how we can affect our moods and days purely by the internal communication we have with ourselves.

I am still playing Pickleball and loving it – the club celebrated it’s 5th anniversary and had a member only tournament I and my partner came 2nd in the novice section – what a buzz! They are also having an open tournament at the end of June but I will be in Canada catching up with #4 son.

Wishing you all well Love to all Coda x

Day 22 – USA/GA – FD

Weigh-in: 228 lbs. Let’s try for another FD today! I’ll be tempted with the lunch, but it’s a drop in reception, just as last evening was, so I should be able to leave without eating. Unfortunately, after today, it’ll be a week until my next FD (next Wednesday).

Pocket list – day 22
    @flourbaby
    @jaifaim
    @northgeorgia

Day 22 – Rural Nebraska, USA – NFD – 161.0

It has been months when the only time I have been below 163 was after a WF, so the fact that I’m down to 161 simply by eating only at a hunger level 3 has me quite stoked.

In addition, I’m at that number despite the many, many hours over the last ten days I’ve spent sitting with my laptop working on a huge project, so movement has been extremely minimal, and I still have as many as twenty hours (or more?) before I’ll finish the project. Between that and the storms of Monday night and Tuesday, I have felt as if I was hanging on by a string, so I’m truly proud of how well I’ve held myself in check. I’m excited to see what this hunger level 3 combined with fasting can accomplish; that will happen soon, although probably not yet next week. Depends when I finish this huge project that has a firm deadline, so there’s no extending it.

Thankfully, my cleaning lady comes today, and I work at church tomorrow morning, so I’ll get a bit of a break, and finally some movement, LOL!

@flourbaby Oh, my word! You had to have been terrified with your fox and Bo-Bo incident; I’m so glad it all worked out fine.

@excelsior12309 LOL, your husband with his pellet gun, and mine as well: a squirrel got onto our Oriole feeder so DH was out there persuading said squirrel that the grape jelly is for the birds, not for him. DH was quite annimated telling me the story, as he loves seeing the Oriles in our back yard! 😂

@northgeorgia Have you tried the hunger level 3 approach? Is there any way in which it could help you?

@metatauta Have a grand time meeting that new grandbaby!

@funshipfreddie Well, part of what prompted that second post yesterday was fear that nearly did send me under the bed! DS32 was wonderful at calming me down–once he realized I was calling about the weather and not some horrible health news. Oops! 😁 I think I had an actual panic attack: between the weather and this huge project I’m working on, it was simply too much. But by the time we hung up, I was back to my usual calm and under-control self. There will be more weather, but not likely as extreme as Monday/Tuesday.

Oh, @jaifaim, how disappointing! I was indeed the one who wondered–and hoped!–you wouldn’t actually gain much. Oh well, it was a wonderful time, and you’ll soon dispatch that extra weight, but you’ll still have the great memories!

@flourbaby Yeah, DH is more like you…although not so much with the ugly stuff we had at 5am Monday. That’s probably what generally keeps me calm, is that he’s not in the least troubled, and why I was so terrified at noon on Tuesday, because he was at a meeting.

@merryapple The way you describe storms does indeed sound lovely and fun! 😍

@coda How delightful to hear from you! I was never part of the group when you were still involved, but I’ve heard from many how much they treasured your friendship here!

@ccco Do you have a treatment plan lined up? I’ve been thinking of you…

Day 21 NZ FD 74.4kg What?! 🏃🏼‍♀️

I have had people to dinner for the last two nights as well as a lunch guest. I’ve cooked Mexican red rice and Dahl; curried fish pie and chilli con carne as well as making biscuits. The meals are all high fibre and a wee bit salty so hopefully EOEO!
    @coda I can’t tell you how grateful I am to you for dreaming up monthly challenges!! Have a fabulous trip to Canada!
    @stitchincarol Well done you! I’m hoping you have cracked the secret to weight loss!!
    @funshipfreddie The difference twixt an optimist and a pessimist is very droll. The optimist sees the doughnut and the pessimist sees the hole!!
    @flourbaby I hope your knees have recovered… I used to live in Brixton. It’s not too far from Crystal Palace. I love Art Deco. You’ll have so much fun decorating!!

Pocket List
    @merry🍎

Day 23 – South Africa 🇿🇦 – FD – 600 days AF 🚫🍷🥳️

600 days alcohol free! I’m amazing 😅 And according to an app on my phone, I’ve swerved over half a million calories, & saved + R 51,000. No idea where that is, ‘cos it’s definitely not in my bank account 🤔

@coda – thanks for stopping by, & enjoy your trip next month ✈️ 🇨🇦

@stitchincarol – looks like you’re onto something with the level 3 hunger approach. Those 150’s are just around the corner 🎯

@merryapple – 😅 yep, I definitely see the doughnut, at least until I’ve scoffed it 🍩 My weight’s creeping up too, thanks to lots of avos & the fact that I finally bought a toaster 🥑

I think most of us need to knuckle down for the final stretch of Mindful May. 9 more days & 3 more FDs to make a difference! 💪

Fun Food Facts

French Fries originated in Belgium, not France!
    They are only called French fries because they are French cut.

In Japan, chefs have to train for over two years in order to qualify to serve puffer-fish. Puffer-fish is a delicacy in Japan, but if it’s prepared wrong, it can kill the person eating it.

In ancient Egyptian days, radishes, onions, and garlic were given to workers as wages. Radishes specifically were because they helped with infectious diseases.

Pocket List – Day 23 🥚
    @merry🍎
    @funshipfreddie

Day 23 – USA/GA – NFD

Weigh-in: 226 lbs. Great! That is 7 lbs lost since Monday’s nasty post-reunion meal number. @stitchincarol What is the Hunger 3 approach?

Day 23 – Rural Nebraska, USA – OMAD – 163.2

Well, so much for that lovely weight yesterday, but I’m entirely certain that my food–like yours, @merryapple–was simply too salty, so I’m retaining water. I have some challenging days ahead of me, however: tonight is dinner out with a couple who are taking us to the same restaurant DH and I went to last Friday, so I’m hoping to repeat the performance of OMAD and going to this restaurant and being lighter tomorrow. 😁👍 Then we have a wedding on Saturday, so the rehearsal and the rehearsal dinner on Friday. For a variety of reasons, I think it will all work out okay that I’ll skip nibbling before both the rehearsal meal and the reception meal, so perhaps it’s not as ominous as it feels, LOL.

Wow, @funshipfreddie! That’s a HUGE number to celebrate!!! And half a million calories??? Wowza. Congratulations!!!! 🎉🎊💪🏼🚫🥳️💐

@northgeorgia Here’s what I wrote a bit back:
    The Wondr program (I mentioned it sometime in the last several days) that my insurance company offers started on Monday with 7 or 8 short videos. I have two takeaways from them (beyond the basic “inspiration”): only eat at a 3, and when you feel a 2, that’s when you’re losing weight. To clarify: they compared the various hunger levels we feel to 1, 2, 3 or 4. 1 is not hungry at all–perhaps you just finished a meal. 2 is feeling some interest, but not actually hungry, perhaps merely thirsty. 3 is actual, real hunger. 4 is when you’ve waited too long, and you’re so ravenous, you’ll eat anything in sight. They made the point of not eating by the clock, but eating only when you feel a 3, and no sooner, because when you feel the slight hunger at level 2, that’s when you’re losing weight. I’ve heard hints of that, claims of that, but I think that, for the first time, I actually believe that. Do the rest of you buy into that?
    It takes lots of thought to figure out just what you’re feeling, and of course, just because you know you’re not at a 3 doesn’t mean you don’t eat. I started this on May 14, and I’ve eaten too soon twice in those days. What I’ve found is that I find I’m wanting food, and I would normally have gone ahead and satisfied that desire. But now I think about my hunger level and that distracts me from the simiple desire…MOST of the time. A phrase they use a lot is “Protect your 2!” since that’s when we’re losing weight. I hope this helps you!

Wow but we’re all quiet today. I hope those of you who haven’t yet posted are doing wonderfully in being in control of what you do and what you don’t eat!

Day 23 USA (Illinois) NFD

Popping in to say hello and report I am doing amazingly well in maintenance. I play Words With Friends with @funshipfreddie so he knows I am alive. The move and new house have kept me more than busy, and actually in the last couple months I have done LOTS of OMAD or such. That likely has kept me right close to 160# which is my maintenance weight. (72.5 kg) Finally yesterday I got back to Silver Sneakers after not getting there for months – they were happy I was there! Our new home is some 15 minutes closer to that gym, so I ought to be more consistent in going there.

@coda and I are Facebook friends, so I do see her posts and she mine. Likely that’s why she had me in a dream?! I was able to pick up her and her man when they flew to O’Hare (was it ’17 or ’18 – summer) and got to show them a bit of Chicago.

Sending you all greetings and encouragement in your journeys!

Hugs, Gwynne

USA. DAy 23. NFD

I actually am having a NFD today! LOL. I spent the day with friends, so I ate regularly. Then I went to watch my daughter play tennis, after which we had drinks together. So much fun.

Stitchincarol, thank you for thinking about me. I told my doctor that I wanted to see my family in New York City where I come from, so I will be operated on the end of June. In the meantime, I am trying to do everything I usually do. Life goes on, including reading and replying to these posts! :). I hope everyone had a wonderful day!

Day 24 – South Africa 🇿🇦 – NFD 70 kg

Friday morning PFDS 😇 540 measly cals. I weighed the cat this morning too, because it seems like she hasn’t stopped eating for the last couple of days. But at 3.5 kg she actually weighs the same as she did when the vet weighed her two years ago. Moggie maintenance 😸

@northgeorgia – 226 – good job! 💪

@stitchincarol – I like to keep things simple, & I try to avoid thinking unnecessarily 😅 So that’s probably why I tend to stick to fixed eating times, And as I only have two meals + a snack on NFDs, I’m guaranteed to be hungry – level 3 – because there’s about 7 hours between my two meals. Growing up, our meals were always at the same time every day, no snacks, no food outlets on every corner & virtually no obesity. You rarely saw people eating outdoors, unless you were on a beach. Food was fuel, but nowadays it seems to be a hobby or pastime for many people.

A nice story about a UK man who took up running 40 years ago, at the age of 53. When he told his wife, she said, “running?! But you don’t even like walking…” 😅 https://www.news24.com/you/news/international/93-year-old-who-took-up-running-at-53-successfully-completes-his-52nd-race-20240517

Happy Fri-yay! 🍹

Fun Food Facts

Fruit Loops are all the same flavour.
    As colourful as they are, you’d think they were flavoured accordingly. But no, all fruit loops are all the same flavour.

The Three Musketeers doesn’t live up to its name.
    The famous Three Musketeers candy bar originally had vanilla, strawberry, and chocolate flavours in one!
    However, during World War II, they changed to only chocolate due to rations.

Honey is bee vomit.
    When bees collect nectar, they drink it and keep it in their “stomach.”
    Once they’re back at the hive, they regurgitate the nectar into the hive.

Day 24 – USA/GA – NFD

Weigh-in: 231 lbs. Umm, yeah that is water bloat. The business lunch was loaded with carbs, then mom and I are left to fend for ourselves this weekend and mostly finished off the leftovers from the reunion. Things should equalize a bit over the next few days, but it being a holiday weekend — hard to say.

My mom’s aunt passed away last night, so it will be a somber weekend.

Day 24 – Rural Nebraska, USA – NFD – 161.4

While it looks like going out to dinner truly does cause a drop of weight (just imagine! 😂🤣😂) I should say that I finally started eliminating the water weight, and by the time we left for the restaurant, I was already down to 161.4, so the best I can say is that my OMAD yesterday and the reasonable restaurant meal didn’t cause a bloat–and that’s something to celebrate.

Since I have no control over today’s rehearsal dinner, and it won’t start until at least 7 and probably far closer to 8, so an OMAD is ill-advised, and I’ll do a reasonable lunch when I hit HL3. My strategy is to be firm about level 3 regardless of anything else going on in the day until it becomes the firm habit it used to be, and I’ll resume fasting in a real way when I resume teaching piano in June. I’m eager to see the results then!

@songbirdme Gwynne, so lovely to hear from you, and to hear that maintenance continues to go well for you. It sounds as if you’re enjoying your new home! Your fighting Illini and my Cornhuskers will be meeting up on Friday, September 20–much to the consternation of all the High Schools with football games on Friday nights. LOL!

@ccco Does this tumor cause pain or other symptoms, or is it easy enough to more or less ignore? I’ll keep you in prayer and look forward to hearing the good news after surgery. In the meantime, how lovely to have a visit to family to look forward to!

@funshipfreddie Yup, your approach is far simpler, and when I reach maintenance, it may well be what I return to. But by thinking about whether I’m actually hungry or not, I’ve found myself not having lunch until 2 or 3 on several afternoons, and then having very little in order to have an appetite by supper time. When our kids were growing up, lunch was between 11 and 12 depending on the day, but supper was always at 6, so I well understand firm meal times–so much so that, while I can cook any meal and have it ready pretty much precisely at 6, if I’m asked to do the same meal and have it ready at 5? ‘Twon’t happen. 🤣🤣

@northgeorgia Sympathies to you and your family on the loss of your great-aunt.

We had another round of violent storms last night; several thousand people in Omaha are without power, 100 are without in our county, and the tornado siren went off in our village twice between 2 and 3. We personally are still fine with all the rain (got another full inch last night), but so many fields are completely flooded, so farmers are having to wait until the water finally soaks in, and then replant. It’s a mess between farmers and flooded neighborhoods–and some houses, including our neighbor to the ousth–so we’re grateful for no dire results.

Okay, more work on that huge project today and continued knitting, before I have to go the wedding rehearsal. Not a bad day, LOL!

Day 25 – Ireland – NFD 🚫 ✅ 🚶🏽‍♀️ 🌾.

Hi all! Apologies I’ve been trying to find time to post since earlier this week. First of all super bravo to you @funshipfreddie on 600 days alcohol free! That is truly inspiring and so impressive. 👏🌟👏
    I’m mostly AF but am tempted from time to time to taste new drinks and on holidays mostly but really have to applaud you!

I’m finding it difficult to get back into the work groove … but must try to apply myself.. must also get back into my daily posting… it keeps me focused and I tend to fall back to bad habits when I don’t.. And as you say @funshipfreddie there is still some time to make a difference in the last days of May. I am celebrating this weekend with friends as one of the younger ones is 50 today.

Hi @coda and @songbirdme so great to see you both. 👋
    @ccco you have been on my mind and I am hoping that you are keeping well and I so admire you right now. Checking in and keeping the focus with your usual routine. There is a candle lighting in Palma cathedral with your name on it (not literally – you can’t write names on the candles 😁 but remembering all my friends who are facing challenges right now).

@stitchincarol the lbs will shift soon enough once I find my focus again and part and parcel of life as me 😂😂 I wouldn’t change anything about the trip for the world. Was really lovely and I’m proud. I am working towards a very long one day cycle in the coming weeks so should be in a good place for that… not training as such but am peddling 🚴‍♀️ as much as I can …
    I have too much on right now to adhere to a structured training program but will be grand.
    Hi to everyone else and I hope you are all well.

Onward and downward ⬇️
    We rise by lifting other 💕

@northgeorgia my sympathies to you on your loss 💕

Day 25 – South Africa 🇿🇦 – NFD

@jaifaim – thank you! No-one is more surprised than me; when I did ‘Sober October ’22’ I never imagined I’d still be AF +600 days later. So worth it for the better sleep. And not having to go back half a chapter in a book because I can’t remember what I read the night before 😅 I’m glad you enjoyed your trip, sounds wonderful 🚴‍♀️

I’m off out just now, going to a ‘Pet Parent Seminar’. The things I do for Boo Boo?!

Have a great weekend everyone 🌤 🌈

Fun Food Facts

Spam wasn’t invented in Hawaii.
    Although Hawaii consumed the most Spam per capita than any other state, it was invented in Minnesota. There’s even a spam museum in Minnesota!

Some people are scared of peanut butter.
    Getting peanut butter stuck to the roof of your mouth is annoying, for sure, but to have an irrational fear of it happening is next level.
    But there’s a phobia for everything and this common occurrence is no exception.
    Arachibutyrophobia is the fear of peanut butter getting stuck to the roof of your mouth.

Expiration dates on bottled water have nothing to do with the water
    Water can’t expire – but the bottle it’s in can. Plastic bottles will eventually start leaking chemicals into the water.
    It won’t make the water harmful to drink, but it will make it taste less fresh.

Day 25 UK NFD

Sorry I’ve not been able to check in , I’m back home now after MILs funeral and dashing off to a wedding shortly but I’m aiming to catch up on posts over the weekend and join you in a FD before month end

Day 25-No. VA USA-FD800

Still here, have a weekend and Monday off, which is a nice break. May actually get some gardening done

@funshipfreddie, your almost 2 yrs without alcohol are impressive; and in my own case, drastically decreasing the wine at dinnertime over the past three months has really helped me drop some weight, I think. Also, wine sometimes gives me rapid heartbeat for a while, so that is another benefit of avoiding it.

@stitchincarol, I hope your wicked weather has eased up a bit. The Midwest has been hammered lately!

@ccco, I hope you are feeling well and that you know we are all pulling for you here.

@northgeorgia, so sorry to hear about your great aunt.

@jaifaim, I am so impressed with your intense cycling energy!

Have a pleasant weekend, everyone.

Day 25 – Rural Nebraska, USA – NFD – 162.4

I’m getting impatient for a regular schedule that will allow me some FDs, but at the same time am so pleased and surprised that I’m maintaining a steady weight. When I first got on this morning, it was 161.8, which both startled and thrilled me. So a few minutes later, I got on again, just to enjoy the sight. 163.0 Dumb, dumb, dumb scale. Eventually it settled on the weight I’ve listed. I “stole” my mom’s scales back in my early 20s that, at the time, were at least 30 years old. When he moved out, our youngest “stole” them from me. There are no ounces listed on them, but they were steady and accurate to the scales at the doctor’s office, and I often long for their 75+-year-old reliability, LOL!

@jaifaim Good to hear from you; your silence was deafening. 😉 Good vacations often make it truly hard to get back into our regular routine, don’t they? You’ll get there, and how lovely that you have a huge ride coming up! Is it just a personal thing you’ve challenged yourself to do, or is it a group thing? How far is it?

@funshipfreddie “Pet Parent Seminar”???? 😂 You’ll have to share your gained wisdom!

@brightonbelle You and I both have weddings today…’tis the season, eh?

@excelsior12309 Ahh, these 3-day weekends are blissful, aren’t they? We have another storm coming tonight, but I think it’ll finally simply be some rain with perhaps a bit of thunder and lightning. Apparently, there will also be lots of hurricanes this season, so you and @northgeorgia are going to get hammered. The price we pay for the blissful days!

Day 25 – USA/GA – NFD

Weigh-in: 230 lbs. Not great, but proof of the post-FD carb bloat on Thursday since I am down over a pound this morning, almost at 229. Honestly, not sure when I will fast again. Was planning on Wednesday/Thursday. Should still happen, although the funeral is scheduled for Wednesday afternoon — all is up in the air. Basically no change in weight over last week, which is better than a huge gain.

Day 26 NZ FD 73.6kg 🏃🏼‍♀️

I was up and out y’day to go to the Auckland Wool Festival. I bought some natural silvery coloured Gotland rovings (carded unspun wool) to spin which I could overdye. Then I came home and cooked a big pot of Charro beans (Mexican cowboy beans) and made corn bread using masa harina (Mexican taco flour).
    This morning we walked up our manga (volcanic cone) amidst showers with Paisley the Scottie. We have worked out that the dogs slow us down so the walk takes twice as long (60 : 30 mins!!) We now have dog free walks 2-3 X a week!!
    I’m baby sitting a friend’s dog while she’s at work this week. Her mother usually looks after her but has had an eye op. Olive arrives at 0700😬
    @northgeorgia Condolences to you and your family for the loss of your Great Aunt.💕
    @stitchincarol 😅I hope the scales don’t get offended by what you said about them!!
    Is this standard Spring weather??? Stay safe…
    @excelsior12309 Still weather?? We are having either Antarctic blasts or subtropical rain events… Enjoy your Spring gardening with your dogs!!
    @brightonbelle A wedding sounds a lovely thing to do after helping your inlaws 💕
    @funshipfreddie WoW!! And you’re on two meals per day and 5:2 for maintenance. No wonder my weight loss has slowed up!😵‍💫I hope Boo Boo concurs with the seminar conclusions!!
    @jaifaim I might have a spare bike for you when you visit NZ again!! Someone has, I assume, nicked a bike and hidden it under a pile of cuttings behind one of my drystone walls. I noticed they had been moved and thought someone was sleeping rough there. Then I noticed a wheel. It’s a rather nice 10 speed type bike. I’ll report it and see what happens but ‘finders keepers’ after a stand down time!!
    @ccco It’s lovely to hear you’re spending fun times with your family and have a trip planned to go back to NYC. I’m imagining your Spring garden is looking great too😘

Steely Resolve everyone!!
    I’m throwing in an extra FD after eating all those beans and lentils…

Pocket List
    @merry🍎

Day 26 – South Africa 🇿🇦 – FD

@stitchincarol – it was interesting! It was in two parts, the first was ‘Ageing Gracefully – a look at the nutritional, environmental & cognitive changes of the older cat’. And then ‘The Language of Cats: what they’re really trying to tell us’. It was sponsored by Hills Pet foods though, so the focus was on how you can treat various conditions in older cats with nutrition.

@leniloud – thanks for the contribution. Better late than never. I suspect someone’s playing around with some kind of AI program? Odd profile – ‘i am nazrul islam fahim .i am seo exprate’

@merryapple – Boo Boo won’t eat anything other than Whiskas, so I’m not sure she’d approve of a lot of the seminar. At one point we were told that cats don’t like conflict, & will avoid fighting with other cats if at all possible. Boo Boo thrives on conflict, with other cats anyway. 😼 She’s 10 in September (a cat is considered senior at 7) but she’s happy & healthy, so I’m not planning on changing her diet. Your FD is almost over, I hope it went smoothly. You’re planning on B2B FD’s?!

Cabbage the new superfood?
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-13457077/Forget-avocados-olive-oil-blueberries-new-super-food-doctors-chefs-recommending-2024.html

Happy S🌞nday!

Pocket List – Day 26 🍒
    @merry🍎
    @funshipfreddie

Fun Food Facts

You can find peanuts in dynamite
    Peanuts have an oil that is used as an ingredient while making glycerol, which is a main component of nitroglycerine.

McDonald’s sells 2.5 billion hamburgers every year.
    That equates to 75 McDonald’s hamburgers sold every second, every day, or 6.5 million hamburgers each day!

Chocolate has been used as a currency in ancient civilizations of Mexico and South America.
    As the Aztecs started dominating Mesoamerica, they also loved cocoa beans which couldn’t be grown in their civilization.
    They had to rely on the Mayans and traded cocoa beans with them as a system of money.
    Chocolate isn’t the weirdest thing that’s been used as a currency in the past either. Bafia potato mashers were a form of ancient currency in the region where the Republic of Cameroon is today.

Day 26 – USA/GA – NFD

Weigh-in: 233 lbs. Yeah, went out to eat last night. Lots of unexpected events to affect the week ahead, so just going back to what I forgot in May — being mindful. Especially on NFDs. After the great early dinner, I still wanted to snack in the evenings — for shame. I think about the successful 3 day FD500s last week, and know I can do this. Instead of a ZBC this morning and a later bingefest, I’m going to have a boiled egg, maybe some avocado, and a bit of fresh mozzarella cheese. Then, I’m going to plant some things in the garden. I think some simple things can keep the food healthy and calorie count reasonable on NFDs.

Day 27 NZ FD 73.3kg 🏃🏼‍♀️

I’m babysitting Olive, a lovely big black dog, for a friend this week. We went up Mangawhau in the rain and I discovered my (un)trusty walking jacket is showerproof only… I’m back on two dog walks a day!! Westies are definitely slower and easier to tire out!!
    @northgeorgia That sounds like a great plan!! And growing your own vegetables 😋
    @funshipfreddie Someone’s eating my share of McDonald’s ‘cause I haven’t been in there since I found out they made thick shakes out of chicken fat which was probably 30 years ago!!!! Boo Boo is wise going for quality and simplicity😽
    Weirdly I think I’m chasing my tail on the forum today by posting late then early with hardly any posts in between!!!
    I hope everyone is making these last few days count by mindful 🤐!!

Steely RESOLVE 💪😇

Pocket List
    @merry🍎

Day 27 NZ 2nd post

@leoniraats Yeah! You’re going so well!!💪 I hope you had a quiet weekend and were able to sleep soundly…

Pocket List🤩
    @leoniraats
    @merry🍎

Day 27 country west Australia FD 82.0 kgs 180.4 lbs.
    Posting, steely resolve, whatever it takes…. those pesky 2 kgs will NOT move. Due mainly to me not fasting enough and overeating on my NFDs. 🙄🙄
    I used MyFitnessPal for ages for keeping track of calories but I have stopped and I think my mindless eating has resulted in not losing the weight.
    Push to end of May is to lose the 2 kgs and get in to the high 70s.
    @funshipfreddie, love your posts re food facts and the word for the fear of peanut butter ( peanut paste in Australia).Who doesn’t love peanut paste ???
    But I have reduced my intake of pp a lot ( I used to eat it by the spoonful straight from the jar ) after reading an article by Tom Venuto (American champion natural body builder ) who outlined the number of calories in just a teaspoonful 😱😱😱 and I admit my ‘teaspoonful’ was as generous as Tom said people tend to use !! ( people usually convince themselves that the tablespoon they have is actually a teaspoon.)
    @merryapple looks like some of us have been away for a while but coming back for a good push to the end of May 😊
    @leniloud I just read your post for the things to do for Mindful May and though not any days left I plan to do some of them. Thanks or the reminder.😇
    It is so good to see @coda,@SongbirdMe,@Metatauta etc popping in for a chat.
    I can’t believe it is 7 years since I first posted on this forum. 😲
    I have not read all the posts for the months but it seems as though some people have been doing it tough so my thoughts are with those folk.🙏💐
    @jifaim , sounds like a great holiday.
    not sure who said ‘ you can’t outrun a bad diet ‘ which I find also applies to when I exercise but eat more than my TDEE 😢🥵😢
    Onward and downward

Day 27 – South Africa 🇿🇦 – NFD 69.4 kg

Last night was a struggle. I was still ravenous after my measly cheese omelette, but I persevered, & luckily the hunger had passed before I went to bed.

@merryapple – I can’t remember the last time I was in a McDonalds either. They opened in SA in the mid 90’s, & I visited one in Johannesburg just for the novelty.

@lilymartin – at least you know what you need to do to shift those unwanted kilos. I think we all know, instinctively, what we need to do to lose/maintain. But knowing & doing aren’t the same. MFP was a huge help in getting me to maintenance, but now I’ve gone back to only using it on FDs. I’m not crazy about peanut butter unless it’s covered in chocolate 😅

@leoniraats – a new low, good for you! 🥳️ sending you & all the Monday fasters STEELY RESOLVE 🎯💪

Fun Food Facts

Certain music can make you drink faster.
    Researchers had an experiment to see how people’s drinking habits changed based on the music that was playing.
    Loud music seemed to make people drink more, and faster.

A corned beef sandwich was smuggled into space. An astronaut snuck a sandwich on his spacecraft for a 6-hour mission.
    When he took the sandwich out in zero-gravity, it started falling apart and he had to put it away before crumbs compromised the spaceship.

One in four hazelnuts ends up in Nutella.
    Nutella is so popular, 25% of all hazelnuts end up in a jar! Since they’re in such high demand, some universities are trying to grow them in labs in order to negate global shortages.

Pocket List – Day 27 🤩
    @leoniraats
    @merry🍎
    @lilymartin

Day 27-No. VA USA-FD 800

Joining the fasters today, to round out the long weekend. Weight is slowly going down (a few ounces every few days? If I can trust my scales. ). Well, clothes are looser and some are now too loose to wear. So that is a nice feeling. Still some pounds to go. For me, avoiding bread, pasta, and alcohol have probably been the biggest help.
    @lilymartin, nice to hear from you. Climb back up on the wagon!
    @funshipfreddie, the food facts are so interesting. Hazelnuts (filberts) used to be my favorites when I was a child, but I have never cared for Nutella. But peanut butter in the form of chocolate covered candy–mmm.

2nd Post – Day 27

I just realised it’s a holiday in the UK & USA today, Spring Bank Holiday & Memorial Day, hence why it’s probably even quieter here than usual. Enjoy your extra day off 🌤 🌈

Pocket List – Day 27 🤩
    @leoniraats
    @merry🍎
    @lilymartin
    @excelsior12309

Day 27 – Ireland – NFD 🚫 ✅ 🚶🏽‍♀️ 🌾.

Hi all! Just another quick check in – I’ve had a busy weekend with mum.
    The cycle in 3 weeks time will be 200kms with my club… there will be varying speeds and I’ll be going gently with the fun crowd as opposed to trying to break any personal bests. 🌟

Ha ha!! Thanks @merryapple – 🚲 – I would love to get out on a bike around Auckland!

Hopping back on the wagon tomorrow with a FD 💪

And I’m very happy to host June if no one else would like to? I won’t be as organised as our @funshipfreddie 🌟🌟🌟 with the wonderful extra fun food facts etc but will take my turn and set it up and see what I can do maybe as added challenge or fun… will see….

Ok doke… have to dash..

Onward and downward ⬇️

Day 27 – USA/GA – NFD

Weigh-in: 234 lbs. Yuck. I gave a lot of good advice and yet decided to have a bowlful of popcorn late last night. I am not sure why I’m sabotaging myself lately. After today’s holiday and the funeral coming up, I might be able to get in one fast day on Thursday this week…

Day 27 – Rural Nebraska, USA – NFD – 162.8
    Day 26 – 162.0

We had the boys up for dinner last night and had a lovely meal, but my head and gut are suffering from the Aperol Spritz and the red wine. Will I never learn I’m not as young and able to metabolise alcohol as I once was, and no matter how fine I feel when I go to bed, I will NOT feel that fine when I wake up? 🤷🏻‍♀️

Today, we join the three couples who are our dear friends, at the lake cabin of one of them for a lovely afternoon chatting and then eating a glorious meal. Wine will be flowing in abundance, but I’m not likely to want much if any given how I feel, so I suppose that’s one advantage of overindulging yesterday.

This morning, we’ll attend a Memorial Day Service at the Auditorium (for you non-Americans, Roosevelt’s WPA built many auditoriums in small communities back in the 30s, including in our own village, and they’re used for wedding receptions [including the one we attended on Saturday], community meals [including church pancake breakfasts, soup suppers, and the like], graduation parties, retirement parties, and events such as today). Some military person will be here from Offut Air Force Base in Omaha; it’ll be a toss-up if they’re a wonderful and interesting speaker or not. 😉

Okay, just took more Excedrin. 😂😂😂 Hopefully it helps this time!

Day 28 NZ NFD 73.5kg 🏃🏼‍♀️🐕‍🦺

@stitchincarol I’m hoping you will have missing post on your email…🤞🙂

Day 28 – Ireland – FD 🚫 ✅ 🚶🏽‍♀️ 🌾.

Hopping back on the much needed FD wagon… 🚌

@northgeorgia I’ve done the same recently… sabotaged myself… park it.. that was yesterday – today is a new day 🌅

@stitchincarol hopefully you will feel better today. I’m back to trying to apply the lessons I’ve learned (long ago) with excess sugar etc. Not so much alcohol as have cracked what I can take if I decide to and what I can’t… after 50+ years I’ve learned a little more about my body’s responses.. but have had too much sugary treats recently with travel etc.
    @merryapple I hope your post is retrieved by @stitchincarol 🕵️‍♂️

Onward and downward ⬇️

Pocket List Day 28🐌 (slowly slowly…)
    @jaifaim

Day 28 – South Africa 🇿🇦 – NFD

@jaifaim – thanks for offering to host next month’s Challenge. Just in time, I’m almost out of Fun Food Facts 😅

@stitchincarol – I hope you’ve gotten rid of the hangover by now 🤯

Wake-up time can influence how hungry you are all day…
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-13456257/wake-early-late-sleep-affect-appetite.html

Morgan Spurlock’s ‘Supersize Me’ documentary was a lie:-
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13464965/Morgan-Spurlock-Super-Size-documentary-lies-sexual-harassment-alcoholism.html

Fun Food Facts

Cheese is the most stolen food in the world. About 4% of all cheese made around the globe ends up stolen.
    There’s even a black market for cheese!

Russia took a long time to classify beer as being alcoholic.
    Until 2013, beer and other alcohol under 10% ABV was classified as a soft drink.
    Until then, and even still today, it was common for people to drink beer in the streets and parks as commonly as you would see soda.

American cheese is not American.
    Processed cheese is thought of as an American product, but it was actually invented in Switzerland.
    It was created by Waltz Gerber and Fritz Stettler in 1911 to lengthen the shelf-life before it was shipped overseas.

An extra Fun Food Fact, inspired by @excelsior12309 – The Connection Between Hazelnuts and Filberts:
    Catholicism is thought to be responsible for the fact that hazelnuts are widely known as filberts. That’s because the feast day, or celebration, for France’s St. Philbert is held on Aug. 20. This happens to be the same time that hazelnuts are ready to be harvested. Because of that coincidence, in Europe, where hazelnuts are widely eaten, the nuts are known as filberts.

Viewing 50 posts - 151 through 200 (of 236 total)

You must be logged in to reply.