Mid Fifties – Just starting and hoping to lose weight (yet again)?!

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Welcome to The Fast Diet and Exercise forums
Mid Fifties – Just starting and hoping to lose weight (yet again)?!

This topic contains 5,051 replies, has 218 voices, and was last updated by  vendor 3 years ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 1,151 through 1,200 (of 5,077 total)

• Glad I mentioned the sun, judt had hailstones, bucketing down now, no wonder Scotland is so green, four seasons in one day, in fact most days!

Dumpling stew and warming scotch broth, and a wee salad and iced tea for lunch then!!!!!!!

Some really interesting thoughts Milena as I also have a lot to lose. I’ve never really ‘planned’ eating or weight loss (can you tell? ๐Ÿ™‚ ) and I agree that it is the way to go. You wouldn’t launch any other big project without that planning, would you?
    I’m going to give myself a month of keeping it really simple as per the book and see how that is working. I know that there will hopefully be some pounds off in a month’s time but also that weight loss can slow down or stop for no apparent reason too!
    “Being mindful, restricting treats and rubbish but not everything, whether or not you count calories, is the way to go, in my book.” This makes sense to me. I soooo don’t want to count calories but realise I may have to start! Hope all is going well today ladies.

Hi All

Before I answer all I need to post this link that I got from another thread. The thread was for people with diabetes โ€“ if we think we struggle you should see the struggle they have.

This is about aspartame and the studies they have done on it.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2014/12/23/artificial-sweeteners-confuse-body.aspx

Extract below:

โ€œAspartame and other artificial sweeteners are primarily promoted to diabetics and those concerned about their weight. This despite the fact that artificial sweeteners have repeatedly been shown to produce the exact opposite effects:

Research shows that aspartame worsens insulin sensitivity to a greater degree than sugar
    Artificial sweeteners have also been found to promote weight gain, in more ways than one
    Over time, artificial sweeteners have also crept into a wide variety of products not directly targeting diabetics and dieters.โ€

It also shows studies from 1986 where a large amount of people were tested. I hope the UK newspapers highlight this. So many people drink diet drinks which contain these thinking they are helpful. It is worth reading to the end.

Sorry, I am posting this on multiple threads but it is such an important issue, espricially with Pepsi being in the news.

Ok now to see what’s going on here……

Hi Apple pie

I was told the same about breakfast and I have always preferred not to eat it. I was sure they must be right…..not anymore!

Good luck today Salma, I hope you don’t have meltdown. I am sure you won’t and you may be really nicely surprised.

Well done Audrey, did you ache? After 2 hours on Exerbeat yesterday and then back on today I think you must be enjoying it. The only reason I am going back on today is to reach my weekly challenge that ends today. I normally have a day inbetween – the weathers horrible here rain, wind and chilly so I am looking forward to being warmed up.

It’s a NFD for me but I am going to see Pam my step-mum, I never know what she will do for dinner but just to be prepared I shall eat little before going. I have told her that I am restricting certain types of food so last week she did pie and boiled potatoes!! Well she did try I suppose. Despite this meal and the Wedding I lost 2lbs so I was happy with that.

Hi Lori

Yes I avoid having foods that I am tempted by in the house, although I know I have tow bars of chocolate here and haven’t been near them.

I agree with missing boot camp you need to listen to your body – a bit like you do with food now. Was your body telling you to have those pretzels?? Hahaha

Hi Milena

Exactly my plan 1lb a week and I was hoping for a little more on FBD. Most weeks I have exceeded this and all without having any real effort.

Yes about 50 was mine for a year taking in high days and holidays. I am on target to achieve that if no blips happen. A small blip I can cope with.

At the beginning of the year I thought 50 was maybe an unrealistic target, now I not only see it as achievable but I may even exceed it. What a turn around. The thought that I could continue this for a year at the start was unthinkable but now a real possibility.

I love the control I have now.

Hi Beldyboop

Lovely to see you here. This thread is usually quite active. As you know biscuits can be my downfall, I occasionally by a type of Jaffa cake ones they don’t last long about three days.

Hi Kate

well done on your achievement….back in a minute my neighbours here…,,

Ginette

Thanks ginette

I didn’t know sweetners could be so bad for me. I swapped sugar for canderel last year I may have to re think that decision.

I do however only have 2 cups of coffee a day with it in so I am not overloaded with it, I do however drink sugar free drinks again not many but 1 or so a day, you have got me quite worried now will have to read more on it.

Audrey

Ok back now…..

Yes Kate being mindful is the way to go.

Have a good day all fasting or not.

Milena the tiniest bit of sun is showing itself here.

Ginette

Hi guys..

The day is half over.. I am feeling a little giddy and beginning to get, not exactly hungry, but a bit high. I decided to not eat anything today till supper time when I will just have a soup before my book club. I expect my scales to should out with hallelujahs for this marathon effort on my part. If they don’t, I am going to be very cross and some major violence might take place.

Wow Milena, you have done so well!! This is an average of 2.7 Kgs a month which is 35% more than I even aspire to (and haven’t actually been reaching). Since Feb 9 when I started, I have gone down 5 Kgs in 3.3 months which is 1.5 Kgs (3.3 lbs) per month (and only because I have been stricter recently).

I did go on vacation, so, if I discount that month, I will have lost 2 Kgs per month. I LOVE what you can do with numbers ๐Ÿ™‚ So, that’s my story and I am sticking with it!!!

My target was 2 Kg per month (4.5 lbs) which is near your original target, Milena. I am planning to be at my initial target weight of 73 Kgs in December (a 20 Kg loss – 44 lbs)- I might move the target down by 5 kgs if and when I get nearer to it. I would like to be down to 80 or 82 kgs by my 55th birthday at the end of August. I have an awesome trip being planned for that occasion and I want to look good. This means I have to lose 6-8 Kgs by end of August (in 3 months), so this is about 2- 2.5 Kgs (4.5- 5.5 lbs) per month. So, I have to be stricter with myself to achieve this target, I guess.

I agree that you have to try to ‘bank’ weight loss to account for expected indulgences because otherwise you really get disheartened and lost oumph. That is what I am trying to do this week with the liquid fast followed by a fast day. It isn’t easy, but somehow, it makes you not want to waste all that effort by ‘splurging’ on NF days for the rest of the week. Isn’t it funny that we now ‘miss’ fasting days when we are unable to complete them. If you had told me this a few months ago, I would have thought you were crazy.

Okay.. this might be very boring for everyone, so as Milena says, please skip if you are beginning to fall asleep, but it is a way for me to reaffirm, to myself, what I need to/intend to do. Seeing the stark numbers makes me realize how much work it is going to be.

Impressive that you and Ginette have done 4 weeks without vino and for 2 more weeks. I don’t drink much, only occasionally, so for me that is not a stretch. Maybe I will join you if/when you decide to do the FBD again.

Don’t attack any more veggies.. the poor things are our friends!

Hi Audrey

Yes I am one of the lucky ones who are not addicted to them. Do you know coke had cocaine in a long time ago to start forming an addiction. Now it doesn’t.

I know someone who used to during six cans + a day and ended up in hospital with a perforated ulcer. You would think this was a warning. He now drinks coke with sweeteners some of the time and has become a diabetic. He had a warning last year about this and chose to ignore it. This person is a relative and chooses to ignore me. I send him articles like the one above, but as you know it is only us who can change, people telling us facts won’t help until we decide. I still send him them occasionally, hoping he will decide to try and change.

All people on these threads have taken that decision and that is the biggest and probably best thing they will ever do in terms of health and weight.

Here is a link to a story in the paper. I could find many as there are lots out there. If you choose to drink fizzy or sweetened drinks look for those with stevia in. This is a completely natural product I watched an interesting program on it. It doesn’t give you sugar spikes. I must admit I never though about speaking water being a problem before.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2937081/Why-fizzy-drinks-sparkling-water-WORSE-thought.html

Salma

Try having a little something maybe a yoghurt or piece of fruit. It is just your body adjusting.

I have to say alcohol isn’t a problem as I normally have about one a year. There are lots of things that I never thought I would or could do without. It surprising that again after a week I found it ok. I fretted for a couple of days. Milena is the person who is really doing brilliantly as I have had a meal out nearly every week. I have also had meals sabotaged by my stepmother. She is trying hard to accommodate me, but when she has dished up a meal as soon as I walk in how could I refuse to eat it. Especially as she told me she did boiled potatoes, obviously didn’t think there was anything wrong with a pie then!!

No Milena is the one who is really going without. You can see by her growing list what she is missing.

Milena

Please just promise that you won’t eat everything on this list in the first week.

Ginette

Hi Audrey. I absolutely agree with Ginette.. artificial sweetners are poison. A lot of research indicates this now. the article Ginette points to is very important reading. I never use them and hardly ever have diet drinks. My mantra is: go with the natural choice. I never eat margarine or canola oil or sweetners or anything else which is manmade if I can help it.

Please see a documentary called Fed Up if you can find it. Scary stuff what food companies do. I figure, if you keep it natural you keep your risk of poisoning your body to a minimum. I agree with Applepie about not eating low fat too, because manufacturers replace fat with sugar. I eat whole eggs and try to get organic when available.

I watched the food program over the decades that was suggested here some time back. It is fascinating how our food has become processed and how it has been marketed to us as ‘good for you’.

Kate.. I HATE counting calories and won’t do it.. but we all know what is likely to make us fat, so being mindful is the way to go. if you have no idea about calories, it is a good idea to count for a while until you get a ‘feel’ for what things are. Most of us will have spent years dieting and know the calorie contents almost by heart.

Hi Salma

I know diet foods are also a nightmare. I am trying to change this as well. I have been looking at lower fat lower sugar options for years. Change it really hard. Labels are a minefield I now have to look for low sugar no sweetner said, to transfats and also sodium levels per 100gm.

Sodium is even in yogurts!

How are you feeling now?

Ginette

Thanks ginnette and salma for your insights you have certainly given me lots to think about.

Will do some research into sweetners I tend to eat home made food so don’t worry about so called low fat options as they don’t really affect me!

Like I said earlier I don’t have too many sweetners as I only have a couple of coffees per day, and since starting 5 2 mainly drink water rather than pop.

Audrey

sorry to disappoint Ginette

planning the ice cream wine and cakes for ONE sitting – the Monday fast day after the FBD has passed!

Doing a complete fast on the last Sunday now – to compensate! Ha! rather like chucking a bucket of water on a house blaze!

Hubby reckons I’ll eat just one thing and give up – or I’ll be sick if I eat too much …………. silver linings eh???

See, me planning again, its not for nearly two weeks, I’m a carrot and stick person – except not really carrots. Will have my binge and get back in harness.

Strangely I’m not a binger – and I’ve never done low fat or low sugar in my life – and I not starting now. I don’t have any sweetners, even though I have sugar in my tea – though my half a spoonful is now just a quarter – the boys keep leaving it out but I do notice, and can’t drink without. If I have shredded wheat, which is only about once every three weeks, I pile sugar on it – same with wheatabix. I cook mainly with olive oil, always fry rather than grill bacon. Use full fat mayonnaise and I’ve even had full fat Jersey (sort of full full fat) milk on my cereal. A bottle a month – and we share it.

Obviously doing it all wrong – or maybe all right.

I don’t actually eat much – restrict everything – even my tea – no juices, and I seem to eat fast day food on non fast days – actually non fast and fast days are quite blurred. So having ice cream and cake and wine all at once may be daft – but even a full bottle of wine to myself, a whole cake and a box of magnums once a month is probably much much less than I had before 5:2 – never eaten a box of magnums OR a whole cake in one sitting before – I imagine some folk are having more than that a month on 5:2 without problems.

I think I am doing quite well, but I’m not kidding myself it will last, it will certainly tail off – and I’m lucky I have OH doing some of it with me – still thinner than me – and son would be disappointed if I gave up now.

Just remembered, going to Pizza Express with the boys too at the beginning of June – with my winning – thanks to all who voted Tory – so might have to rethink and replan the magnums!!! Can’t possibly do both in the same week!

But you did also mention pizza is this on the same day??

Ginette

Hi Audrey

It’s always good to know these things and then make informed choices.

Did 30 mins on Exerbeat. I have done about 8 hours in total and you will easily catch me. I am in Mongolia today. I am literally on may way somewhere but suspended in a plane it the air.

I am off out so I shall leave it there also my body will recover quicker. Have you got the weekly target facility on there yet? This will come soon if it hasn’t already also the Daily Challenge. Sorry to all of you who think Audrey and I have lost the plot!!

Ginette

Hi ginette

I have set my weekly target and passed it!

I am not very good at the daily challenge but sure I will get better, I am stuck in the Sahara desert hehe.

Audrey

Hello All,

So I finished my first fasting week and began my second fasting week yesterday (Monday) morning. I decided I would only weigh on Monday mornings. So — weight loss for the first week is (drum roll, please) 4 pounds! And I know that much of that may be the water weight but that’s okay with me.

I stuck to the 500 calories on fast days and just ate lighter and healthier on the other days. And I drank lots of water. LOTS. And I’ve never been a person who drinks a lot of water, but I can change. Milena — I just love your last post and also believe that planning is key. Another poster (can’t remember who) mentioned the importance of feeling in control of food intake and weight loss and that rang true for me, too. I think it is the simplicity of this plan that empowers us to make our own decisions about what we eat, when we eat it, whether or not we exercise, etc. Whereas some “diet” plans are so rigid, decision-making is taken away and therefore the power and control over your own body! I may not be communicating my thoughts about this very well, but having tried other weight loss plans over the years I can say that for me, there is just something different about this one — I understand Milena’s mantra ‘this is the last time I am going to lose weight’.

I may not get to post too often, but will try to do better. Please know, however, that when I am able to sign on and read your uplifting and honest posts I am so encouraged by them. Thank you so much for that!
    Pam

Pamela,

Well done on your fantastic weight loss you must be so happy I am really pleased for you long may it continue. I find water helps me too!

Milena,

Enjoy your treats when you get them, you certainly have earned them

Audrey

Really well done Pamela.. Impressive results!

It is 6 pm here and I am still holding strong. I will eat in a couple of hours. I am now having a pedicure as a reward for good behaviour!!

Ginette, that would be greedy!!!!

Same week though, double booked the same day, however the boys won’t mind waiting a day or two – Nessie is on holiday from the Tuesday – and our honorary 5:2er is looking gooooooooooood! She has two pounds to go!

I know, its another world, 2lbs would give her a half stone loss – wish I had known about this in my thirties. Wish I was a tall as her too – if wishes were horses, beggars would ride!! so true!

Phew, that was close! A new family are here on holiday in the house opposite, they have a toddler who is gorgeous. We made friends straight away. I prefer children and animals to most adults. Anyway, he offered me his biscuit…. I remembered just in time. Liquids only!

Salma wow look at you, you are doing so well!

Pamela that’s fantastic! Isn’t it great to be in control?

I don’t take any unnecessary sugar or sweetners, of course when we are talking delicious homemade cake, the occasional chocolate or ice cream, I call that necessary. But I left behind fizzy drinks, concentrated fruit juice, sugar in coffee/tea long ago …. and don’t come back! ๐Ÿ™‚

Onwards and downwards.

hello all, congrats to you losers and welcome newbies….. I can say that as a relative newbie too:)
    Just weighed my 2nd week and down 2 for grand total of 5 lb altogether.
    I appreciate reading all the pointers and variations on the theme everyone is using that works best for them. For me [so far anyways] I do have 500 cal of food on the low days and simply try for more awareness, and planning healthy foods in reasonable portions [including a splash of resveratrol] on the other days. I only count calories on the 500 days as I find it is too easy to go over, but otherwise hate it and would rather not if I don’t half to, and that has been working quite well. Enjoy eating ‘normally’ on the other 5 and in fact it feels like quite a treat.
    But Life sometimes gets in the way …. and so my newly shiny halo slipped this weekend….. I find I have quite a talent as a stress eater.
    At the lake this weekend [no internet there so that’s why no postings here], and despite knowing in my head there was an aggressive forest fire growing in the area, it did not actually hit me in the solar plexus til I saw the huge billowing clouds from about half way through the drive there, so instead of the lovely back to nature tranquil respite, I was consumed with worry by the raging forest fire [now > 250 sq km– twice the size of Vancouver] burning out of control less than 10 km away [and terrifyingly visible on the skyline at the top of my lane], despite 300 manpower and countless water bombers. Things are unnaturally dry this spring in BC, much like California etc. A few recreational lakes in my area — one has been evacuated already with sprinklers on the roofs, and we are on alert. My neighbours live there full time and have their treasures in a horse trailer ready to go on a moment’s notice. I dearly love my lake cottage and hope it will survive.
    So my way of coping with this anxiety was to consume with equal ferocity a whole bag of salt and vinegar chips that first eve and later inhaled the remaining blobs of ice cream — important to keep a well stocked pantry out there in case of emergencies or visitors.
    sigh….. anyways back in town for Monday’s fast day and back on track, so thanks to you lovelies on this forum — I do feel a sense of accountability and support ๐Ÿ™‚ which makes it easier to get back on the horse.. or water bomber as the case may be.

Hi. Phoebe

I’m going to stop complaining about all this rain we get, worse thing about a dry spell in Scotland is the midges (tiny tiny flying creatures which swarm on a warm summer’s evening, very rare) coming out to eat us and the sound of haggis making love, as the legs on one side are shorter than the two on the other side (for running around the sides of the Munroes, which is what mountain’s are called in Scotland) gives a whole new meaning to the phrase ‘getting your leg over’!!!

Actually the sound is quite disgusting, a cross between a rutting stag and an arguement among the lasses in the Glasgow steamie (steamie, where clothes are washed – I’m getting bored now, too much to explain), though the resultant throes of passion, or is it throws of clumps of Heather which seems to get caught in the buttocks of the haggis, can be heard for miles, causing, it must be said, the heavens to clash and the aurora borealis, the northern lights, to appear in the night sky.

Such nights are very very rare, due to the females penchant for dry heather on which to lay, and dry Heather is a rare thing in Scotland, and so are Haggis. This is why they are so very rarely seen, so rare in fact, some people think they are lore, a fairy story just like the Loch Ness monster and the SNP white paper on Independence.

Indeed though, they are very rare, and it is almost impossible to breed them in captivity. Even artificial insemination is a problem, as its difficult to know which end is the ehm, the other end to the head end. Edinburgh zoo, unfortunately, have stopped their breeding program for this very reason, oh and also because it is in a posh end of Edinburgh, the noises were affecting house prices, a pity, but house prices are simply the most important thing to posh folk in Edinburgh. So instead, they have turned to Giant Panda breeding, which is even more difficult than haggis breeding, and Scotland has to pay the Chinese rental for the pandas. Lots of money. But Giant Pandas are cute – and quiet!

Oh dear Phoebe, I think chips and ice cream are the least of it. I have heard about the fires (I am a Canadian citizen although I live in Scotland)and have family in BC. I also have a stepdaughter who lives in Colorado and when they had THEIR wildfires she was evacuated and the fires reached right to her property fence. terrifying. Keeping everything crossed that you and your property remain safe. VERY well done for remaining on track under the circumstances!

Milena you are hilarious.

Hi Kate

Where in Scotland, I’m not far from Edinburgh

Applepie

I was worried, that you were thinking of eating a we’en.

Reminds me of the great British menu winner, ‘I love kids but couldn’t eat a whole one’

Goat tagine, meant to make it but can’t find goat in the supermarket

Milena,

You are soo funny, please stop with these amusing posts I am crying with laughter and if you continue will have to invest in some tena ladies hehe

Hi peeps

Fab catching up!

FD today, nothing much to report, so that’s good. I did a b2b at the w/e so I think that’s why today’s was a bit easier.

I also get fed up with food manufacturers, did anyone see Jamie Oliver’s food revolution petition? pretty cool, in the past I’ve found him a bit of a preacher at times, but he gets things done: here’s the link, if you’d like to sign. http://www.foodrevolutionday.com/#Byk2vzIzME7CLsJL.97

I still can’t believe they manage to get away with their food labelling, was looking at some more so called “healthy” bars the other day, and the Eat Natural ones are pretty poor, full of sugar, as are Go ahead and Special K bars, so you might as well have a nibble on a kit Kat or enjoy a few squares of dark..

Hi Ginette, thanks for the links, very useful, how’s the FBD? must be nearly over soon. You’ll be glad to know, not a biscuit crumb passed my lips today, plenty were pined for though..

Milena, love your post about planning, some great tips ๐Ÿ˜‰ am already putting a few mini-er deadlines in my diary, I also find F and NF days merging, in terms of the food, but also like your idea of the semi-FD’s..

My main goal is October, to wave goodbye to 28 Ibs, 8 have gone, so 20 Ibs, I want to be slow but sure. I have a boringly under-active thyroid, the meds have helped a bit, but I’m really to blame, lol. Am about to register for a marathon, just thought, sod it!, I can do it..have done half ones before, but would like to be more “nimble” on my feet to do less damage to my joints. It’s next April so plenty of time.
    Hi Kate, phoebe,hope it’s going well!
    Hi Audrey, nice to see you here as well ๐Ÿ™‚

BB

Hi Milena
    I’m near Blairgowrie in Perthshire – not too very far away!

Hi everyone.
    Mission accomplished.. am tucked in bed feeling very virtuous having completed a liquid fast day followed by a fast day (300 cals). Let’s see what the scales say tomorrow.

Milena.. you are a hoot. Your audience (and potential readers) is growing steadily.
    Phoebe.. I am glad you are safe. As Kate said, ice cream and chips are the least of your worries. Glad to see you have lost despite the panic and the circumstances.

Beldyboop, when did you start? great to have lost 8 lbs already. I also think Jamie Oliver is doing a great job although as you say he can get preachy, but people need to wake up to the importance of ‘real’ for that is cultivated naturally and prepared naturally. I think this is the least harmful type of nutrition.

I also agree with Applepie that natural sugar in a home made cake or cookie occasionally is not terribly harmful. It is the continuous injection of sugar into our system that is. A bit of what you fancy is a good thing. It is difficult to remember when you are on a liquid diet.. so you were saved from the biscuit last minute? I had very little today, just some soup, a couple of grapes, one walnut and a small piece of cheese and a tiny bit of crusty french bred.

At my book club, we usually have cheese and wine and fruit as well as a dessert. I can’t believe that I refused the wine, the dense chocolate cake, and ate a tiny piece of cheese and a tinier piece of cheese. I did not want to ruin my back to back starvation. Strange what eating like this does to your mind.

Anyway, real food day tomorrow. I am traveling for work, I am armoured with two fast days, but the challenge will be to resist the buffer stuff and all the cookies and bite size food available for breaks. I expect I will be seeing friends over dinner, but I will try to be mindful.

To reward my good behaviour so far, I got myself a manicure/pedicure and got my hair done before my meetings tomorrow. At least my hair and nails can look good for the upcoming challenge!

Tucked in bed away from any temptation,, tomorrow should be a normal day for me.

Hi Salma

great! well done. Just 219 days until Christmas, just around 65 more fasts, Im assuming a few 3 fast weeks if there is a chance of a new frock!!!

Love the back to back starvation comment. So true.

Managed a fast day again by sticking with the muesli, 3 very small bowls, with just a little semi-skimmed milk, and a couple of cuppas. Grains, nuts and fruit certainly keep you regular!

Hi Beldyboop, 20lbs by October is realistic, and 2 stones is a really noticeable change. It will be good to share your journey.

Kate, not far, I go regularly to the Antiques Centre at Abernyte. We have a couple of cabinets there.

Hi Audrey

Well done on passing your target already!!

Hi Pam

What a fantastic start. I drink more water now as well. You must be so pleased and rightly so.

Good luck for this week.

Hi Milena

I am glad Nessie is doing well after all it is her who got us into the FBD lark! I was given to mini chocolate bars today, I swear that they were calling from their wrappers. I ignored them, but not to be beaten they are going in my cupboard for two weeks time …….do you think we are hallucinating? I know you must be……..

Only two weeks………. In fact not even!! ๐Ÿ™‚

Hi Phoebe

Well done on your loss. A good result!

Oh my, what a lot of stress, it is hard to imagine. I really hope they don’t come near you and my heart goes out to people who may lose their homes. I ant imagine the devastation on this scale and the harm to nature and wildlife. The human cost I really hope can be limited.

My thoughts are with you.

Hi Kate

It will be really nice if you and Milena are close. Nobody lives in the south that I know of.

Milena

You really don’t need alcohol!! Are you doing three fasts this week? I meant to ask do you sell saddleback earrings?

Hi Beldyboop

Yes I like him and I think he is obviously passionate in his beliefs. He always tries to make things better. I always hope he will succeed as it sometimes seems an uphill battle.

Yes FBD has nealrly two weeks left, Milena can tell you how many minutes.

I shall be pressed to be more relaxed. In truth I won’t go too mad but it is nice to be able to. I really think that three weeks of the FBD is enough to get you out of bad habits and into good ones.

I was offered chocolate cake as well, what is everybody trying to do to me!! I obviously didn’t accept, or bring some home. Sigh…..

October is some months ago and we will push and pull you to make sure that you get there……and then cheer you past the finish line.

Hi Salma

Well big congratulations, I think a round do applause is in order for that. It will set you up well for the week, be mindful but enjoy each occasion.

I’m glad you treated yourself in some way.

Ginette

18,703 minutes to go!

At the risk of sounding like a pantomime dane – OH YES I DO, need the wine, I mean. And lots of it.

Thinking of a fast day of just champagne – it will still be a liquid fast. And a nice chateau Neuf Du pape, with a good Sancerre to begin with.

Life is too short to drink bad wine!

Calories in wine are empty calories, we are always being told.

So that means there is nothing to count. Yeah!!

Going for a fast week, maybe up to 800 or 1000 calories for a couple of days, but keeping it low.

Strange side effects though, I am simply full of beans, bouncing off the walls again. Weird, I should be faint with hunger.

18,697 minutes to go!!!!!!!!

What are saddle bag earrings. gypsy hoops of some kind?

Hi Milena

You just caught me as I have a date with Paul this evening. Three nights in a row and last night I stayed awake all through it.

Still having the nightmares though ::((

Saddle back means that they father through you ears not like a stud. I can but them in France bit they are as rare as hens teeth here.

I’m pleased for your side effects, I wish I was as lively!

An article here on sugar in foods. Look at the sugar in M&S baked beans!!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-126977/Secret-sugar-shock.html

Ginette

Good morning ladies.

I would like to apologize to Phoebe for mixing her up with Kate in my previous post.. you have to forgive me.. I was hallucinating with lack of nourishment. I am glad though that both are well and losing.

Ok.. weigh in after two long days: 87 Kg. Down from 90.8 exactly one month ago and 1 kg from last week. I am not kidding myself, this is the result of fasting for 2 days running, but I like Milena’s rule to only record the losses; it feels so much better. When weighing again tomorrow, I am likely to be up by 1 Kg if I know anything, but the trend is down, and that is the main thing.

Ginette.. I am still using the MsKenna insomnia app. Tonight was my 21st night. It is sort of working. The long night hypnotic bit really makes me go to sleep. My problem is that I wake up several times during the night. The couple of times I stayed awake through it, I played it over again. I used to watch TV before sleeping, now I don’t. It seems to be improving my ability to go to sleep but I still wake up through the night. This is so frustrating; I guess one of the infinite pleasures of growing older!

Milena, I love the sound of your new liquid diet.. I think I might try that next time. Can you imagine waltzing into work on a champagne cloud? I think I might be a lot more likeable. By the way, what is your website? Maybe we can all start buying Christmas gifts early.

I hope you all have a great day, fasting or not.

Well, it’s the morning after B2B fasts, one 350 calorie then liquids only yesterday. And I am not even hungry. I am looking forward to my porridge but I opted for a hot lemon and ginger instead of a more filling coffee with milk, while I am waiting for my OH to get up.

The scales are telling me all kinds of fairy stories, as they always do on a Wednesday. I don’t believe a word of it.

Milena, as you know I am with you on the wine, and anyway, red wine is beneficial. I read that once somewhere and I am sticking with it.

Ginette you and Milena are so strong on the FBD! I couldn’t do that, 6 weeks without treats, no way.

Happy Fasting!

Hi Applepie..
    Quick question. What is the difference between the weight reading right after your 2 B2B fasts and the highest in the week?When is the second time you weigh yourself?
    My weight today is also, of course, a fairy tale, but I was wondering how much I should expect it to go up by during the week.

Morning all,

There is too much to reply to you all, but everybody seems to be doing well.

Salma, I have never done 2 B2B fasts but I am now 1.2 lb heavier today than I was yesterday after my 1 day fast!

It’s my 2nd fast day today good luck to everyone

Audrey

Salma My weigh day is Monday. I like to know and record my worst weight of the week. My weight on Wednesdays after B2B fasts is just fiction. At least 2lbs difference from Monday, down obviously.

My porridge was lovely, with a few sultanas and chopped banana.

It’s cloudy here today, with a cool breeze, highly unusual.

I am considering making a start on our UK tax returns ๐Ÿ™

Fairytales? Fiction?

Definitely not – just your bodies being kind!!!! If you can do that low weight once, you can do it twice, and three times. And then it will be a fond memory as the scales drop.

Scales though, aren’t kind – don’t we know it? So when they tell you something complimentary, accept the compliment graciously. As you must do with every compliment!! Cos you are going to get loads from now on!!!!!!!

Following along with all you awesome “losers”!! Wish I could join you, but I’m not going near the scale till next week. I’ve been having some major run ins with cheese that I have to get a handle on. Sigh….. I’ve been eating in the evening which I never used to do. I have to get my head in the right place…I’ll get there.

Keep up the great work everyone!

Oh Lori,

Worry not, I too seem to be battling a few demons and the scales are not being too kind to me, for me it is chocolate, cheese and all things sweet that tempt me, I find when my husband is working I am at my worst, as I wave him goodbye I turn around and look in the fridge to see what can tempt me!

It’s the old habits that are the hardest to break isn’t it? I think I eat from boredom but that may just be me making excuses.

I too need to get a handle on this, I have lost over 20 lbs but I am still learning!

Audrey

Milena you are too kind. You are going to have lots of compliments coming your way, wait and see. You are stronger than me, all this time with no treats?!!

We finished the delicious homemade fruit cake our neighbour gave us the other day so I have just made a batch of lemon and sultana muffins. So no time for the UK tax return today …… what a shame ๐Ÿ™‚

Ny no treats was sabotaged again today, ordered a rea a costa, OH brought a skinny latte – and a oiece if brownie going free – he got the brownie, wbhich I thinkbwas the plan.

Coukdnt do without my treats longterm, but six weeks is ok. Though planning to eat a month’s worth of treats in one sitting may be counter productive, of course. Wine is the hardest.

Mis-calulated my minutes to go yesterday, Ive somehow lost Monday, so thats another 1,440 minutes done. Chuffed!!!! So trying a third fast, wont cry though if I go over, just had a tinsy bowl of muesli – canbyou get addicted to muesli???

Hula hoop has arrived, it definitely isnt like riding a bike, needed a fifteen minute rest after assembling it – and it hurts like hell. Really, really hurts – there are weighted knobs all over it. Im beginning to think it doesnt trim the waist, it turns it black and blue – and we all know dark colours make you look thinner.

Remember clackers – not the kid’s tv, that was the clangers – two balls on a string, you could get a 5 inch bruise all around your wrist – would be banned today. This reminded me if the of learning to play with clackers.

Some of you may remember I’d mentioned my decision to start this 5:2 lark was a party on New Year’s Eve. Was fattest person there, wss onky fatty there. Had bought a size 22 top, bigger than my size whichvwas 20, but I liked it, and thought Id probably need thst size soon. Wore it with black trousers which had always be too big, had used safety pins in the past, but that night it was a perfect fit.

Anyway, sorting jeans today, 14s I bought a couple of months ago, while still wearing my trusty size 20s (though they were hanging) got them over my bum but the chasm between the button and the button hole (good job Im checking this, buttonhole became butthole!!) is wider than the firth of forth! One day!

Now where was I – tried on my New Year’s outfit this morning, I couldn’t keep the trousers up, and the top would make a nice dress.

Found a nice pair of per una trousers in the wardrobe, never worn, size 18, too big but I’ll wear tgem with a belt.

A good day, thanks to missing a few treats!!!

Congrats Milena on trying on the clothes that are now way too big! Great feeling isn’t it? You’ll be into those smaller jeans in no time!

That hula hoop sounds very painful! What is the purpose of having bumps all over it? Is it trying to pummel the fat off? Wow…I’ll stick to boot camp even though some days I’m sure I’m going to die!

I’m making a deal with myself on this evening eating thing. I WILL NOT eat anything after dinner. If I feel I need something, it will be a cup of unsweetened almond milk for 30 calories. If I’m really hungry, I’ll stir in a half scoop of my vanilla protein powder. That will give me a nice boost of protein and the whole cup will come in under 100 calories. No more cheese and pretzels at 8PM!! ACK!!!

Have a good day everyone!

Milena,

Don’t throw the new years outfit away, keep it to remind you Of how far you gave come on this journey.

Isn’t it great when you get a trusted outfit out the wardrobe and it is too big!

I went shopping while I was away with hubby, I tried on size 16 trousers opened the changing room door and said bring Me a 12 these are massive! That moment was great.

P.s. I remember crackers all to well!

Keep on going

Audrey

Hi there everyone

Milena congrats on the FBD, sounds quite tough, but something to aspire to…;-)

Salma have been doing FD since April 7, pleased with results..Got so fed up with the weight I’d been carrying around for about 5 years, 20 Ibs doesn’t sound like too much, but it has had an impact on my confidence, and now I’m losing it, am feeling happier already. Personally speaking that fat is/was a mixture of sadness, grief and disappointment, that am sure everyone can relate to at some stage or another in their lives.

Have treats in my mind, which will save for the w/e, but early days yet. Mini-goal, is Champagne tea, in 2 weeks, my great weakness in a fine wine, yes agree Milena about a liquid fast ๐Ÿ˜‰ it could be 5 glasses of Champagne and out for the count until the next day..mmmmmm….don’t think I could take it anymore.

tonight I give my Zumba class, and it works quite well, because you can’t eat a lot before and afterwards not very hungry. That hasn’t always been my experience, with running I used to do Michael’s “over compensatory eating” “Oh, I’ve run 6 miles, so I deserve a donut” style.. running can equal quite a lot of effort and not much in return weightwise, 100 cals a miles depending on weight and you get hungry. Zumba can burn around 400 cals an hour but is effortless, that said I like ’em both, running for the freedom and space, zumba for the fun!

Lori and Audrey, am with you on the cheese, and chocolate, so much so that don’t buy cheese anymore.
    Applepie do you live somewhere nice and sunny usually?

Beldyboop – I live in Spain, on the Costa Blanca, just south of Alicante. Why not join us on Facebook? see my profile. Normal service has been resumed, hot and sunny again now. I admire you teaching Zumba, effortless? I doubt if I could do it.

Looking forward to my steak and chips tea, Pata Negra… or Liria…. don’t know yet.

Hi All

What a busy morning here.

Well fast day today so back in the swing…

Hi Sama

You must be pleased to have a NFD.

The one I am using is the stress one. I react badly to stress and it really pushes my blood pressure to a ridiculously high level.

It seems ok, although blood pressure still higher than last week. I need to get it down. I shall also keep doing it. Still suffering the nightmares although I know I started having vivid dreams/ nightmares from my blood pressure pills which I obviously can’t cut down.

Acupuncture really helped but at ยฃ30 a go this is expensive when I am not working.

Hi Applepie

I have to say Milena is the star as I have had meals out and a wedding. She has been brilliantly controlled. I have avoided many pitfalls, a piece of chocolate cake yesterday – homemade but still not allowed and two mini bars of chocolate I was given but I said I would have them later and so they will have to wait for at least another two weeks.

Another pitfall has just arrived at my door…..yes it came to me! I had a shopping delivery and in the shopping was a tub of Ben and Jerrys ice cream. I told the driver that it wasn’t mine and he said well it was in my crates so treat it as a freebie! I really have no idea if I will enjoy it (in two weeks time) as it is peanut butter flavour and although I like peanuts, I don’t like peanut butter……I will have to make a n opinion I suppose, it ran through my head to go and exchange it, but I can’t be that cheeky! Can you imagine the calories!! I haven’t looked. I know they are really expensive and I would never pay that much.

So food mounting up for two weeks time.

I have had some strange additions in the past and when I noticed contacted Asda and they told me to keep it, I know this is their policy.

Hi Milena

Well done for swerving the brownie. You will be rewarded. I had a midget gem a couple of days ago in rebellion. Just the one about 8 calories I think. Just silly really – just part of a moment.

Now had this free ice cream been raspberry magnums I would be overjoyed!!

Hula hoop sounds painful! It is difficult enough anyway.

It is really pleasing fitting into new clothes. I still have a while for clothes to be too big. Wearing elasticated waists means that they go in and out with you. I can feel they are loose but not falling off. In the Autumn I will maybe (hopefully) get two sizes smaller. I have plenty of tops so I don’t need to spend there just skirts.

I haven’t worn trousers for years as my legs are really big.

Hi Lori

I cut out breakfast at the beginning of 5:2 as I never really wanted to eat it. I prefer to eat lunch late about 2.30/3.30 and dinner about 7.30 – 9 pm. This is when my body tells me I need it and as I don’t have to first into a work pattern this is fine. So after dinner I may have a youghurt or piece of fruit but I really don’t want anything else. On Sunday I eat at about 5pm as I fit in with everybody else and I know I am looking for things to eat later in the evening. This is the day I find most difficult.

Hi Audrey

What a great moment!! I can’t wait for this. It will come I know in time, like everything else it takes longer if you are bigger, I have the patience to wait. I can see changes in clothes now and that is good.

Enjoy the pleasure you get from these moments – the though will last longer than a piece of cheese.

I myself love cheese, but this to me is a treat now as I know the high calorific value.

Hi Beldyboop

Yes I think it is a common thing a low self esteem when we start – it really starts to improve though.

Everybody has more or less weight that the want/need to lose in order to feel better/be healthier. They are all as important. My starting weight had great health implications and still has to my blood pressure. I am please to say that last week I dropped to a lower stage of obesity. From Morbidly obese to Severly obese. Yes, I agree it doesn’t sound great, it feels good to me though……now heading towards the Obese one. That will be achievable this year though, I hope. Milena you must have dropped into a different category as well.

Lots of people I know like Zumba. It is really good exercise and one of the most popular exercise classes.

It’s really good to do something you enjoy.

Oh Apple Pie

steak and chips sounds delicious.

By the way all there is an interesting programme on tonight on BBC2 Horizon 9pm. It shows twin brothers undergoing an experiment about binge drinking V a glass a day drinking. The results may surprise you. They are monitored throughout.

Here is a link to the website.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b05wdfhk

Hove a good day all.

Ginette

A glass a day?

Im a partially reformed, but not quite, a bottle a day binge drinker. No hope then.

Not quite but definitely so over Christmas and new year. And some weeks other than that. We seem to take an awful lot of bottles down to the bottle bank. And OH and son don’t drink.

Decided muesli only days are just wrong. So salmon and wholemeal bread open sarnie for tea, FD staple, do still a fast day.

And a nice glass of chablis.

Or just the meal. Between denying myself wine and bashing myself with the hula hoop – still trying. Must be a masochist.

Who mentioned tena lady – if OH has another go with the hula hoop will be needing them!!!

good morning all, and thanks for kind thoughtful comments re fire stress [currently stable by the way — fire and me both] Salma, no worries re mix up or apologies needed — as a newbie I am considering flash cards for each of us to get everyone sorted!
    Milena – who knew you were such a natural biologist [move over David Attenborough] — I had thought the wild haggis had lots of little legs like a larger pudgy inch worm! — a perfect diet would be haggis and courgettes and champagne {mostly air bubbles}- we’d all be Twiggy in no time! and congrats on the loose pants – one of the world’s best feelings!
    Ginette – thx, I worry about the other cottages and wildlife too – no haggis here but lots of bears, wolves, moose, deer, coyotes, and of course those sweet cadbury bunnies really can’t hop fast
    Kate – did you move to Scotland to see more of the wild haggis or men in kilts?
    Apple Pie – thx! I will try to figure out the computer info you sent me
    Beldyboop – I really enjoyed Zumba but had to quit when my new dog gave me plantar fasciitis a couple of years ago [not contagious — she is a rescue golden retriever/giraffe cross and needs lots of walking and was a strong puller so we water-skied about that whole first summer with me in flip flops ruining my feet]
    Off to do my ‘Classical Stretch’ – only a 20 minute routine — gentle mix of pilates, yoga, ballet, tai chi –but using every muscle in a stretchy elongating way and Miranda [now 60] is brilliant as former ballerina – I lucked out and taped a bunch of her various season 8 and 9 episodes free on PBS, but she has a website or can get also dvds on amazon where there are great reviews … an idea to check it out for those wanting less of a pounding but still great toning flexibility and strength and also for feeling taller and more elegant!

Hi Milena

That was Audrey.

I got blood results back and they were all fine apart from a concern over sodium levels. Well I have been trying to use low salt when I remember and even look on yoghurts for sodium content. I know it is bad for blood pressure so have tried. I have even cut out bacon as I used to by a packet every other week. I was at a lost what more I can do.

Well surgery asked me to ring as they need me to arrange a blood test in about a months time….must be bad I thought……she then said that the doctor was concerned as I have LOW sodium in my blood!!!!

I’m off to buy bacon for tomorrow as soon, just waiting for rush hour to pass!! Bacon sandwiches – what a joy!!

Have you ever tried strawberries soaked in white wine overnight…….delicious. They need about a day to soak…..I have the wine and even the strawberries I may not drink alcohol but in cooking or eating ooohhhh.

Bring it on!!

Ginette

Viewing 50 posts - 1,151 through 1,200 (of 5,077 total)

You must be logged in to reply.