Meal ideas

This topic contains 11 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  FoodC 1 year, 11 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

• Hi Everyone,
    After a bad year and not really doing it I’ve started again on the 5:2 – well i’m doing 4:3 as they seems to work quite well for me, i’m doing Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday. Sunday i usually do one of the recipes out of the book as i can do it for the whole family and Thursdays i usually have a basketball match so i only tend to have something quick and light like fruit etc but i’m really struggling on Tuesday with what to have, last time i was having the john west tuna infusion cous cous pots but this time round i’ve found they dont really seem to hit the spot, does anyone have any meal ideas? its my only meal of the day so i want to enjoy it but dont want all the messing about getting home from work and having to spend ages cooking

Thanks
    Chris

Have you thought about batch cooking something so you can freeze it and microwave it? For my lunches I do a bolognese with turkey mince. Make it up on a sunday with grated carrots, garlic, onion, turkey mince, mushrooms and add passata. I freeze in to 5 portions and then add half a packet of microwave brown rice and quinoa so I can have this at work. It works out at about 320 calories for the meal.

Good idea, Firecracker — batch cooking always saves the day.

Beecher, here are some easy recipes. They come in at 300 calories or less since we eat 2 meals on a Fast Day, but you could double the recipe to make a larger portion or increase amount of some of the ingredients.

Greek Chicken Salad:
    295 calories 12.8 g. fat 4.8 g fiber 23.7 g protein 26.5 g carb 240.3 mg Calcium PB GF This recipe was long ago clipped from a magazine and stored in the recipe file. When I saw it, I recognized that if most of the olive oil were removed, it would make a smashing Fast meal. We like this one a lot.
    1 and 1/2 oz chicken, roasted and shredded 1 and 1/2 c. shredded romaine or 3 oz salad greens 1/4 c garbanzo or small white beans 2 and 1/2 oz tomato chunks or 1 c cucumbers, cubed 3 black olives, pitted & sliced 1 oz feta cheese, crumbled 1 and 1/2 tsp lemon juice 1/2 tsp olive oil 1/2 tsp each of mint, oregano, parsley
    Prep the meat, greens, tomatoes, and olives as described. Measure the lemon juice, olive oil, and herbs into a salad bowl. Whisk together. Add the greens and toss to combine. Add the chicken, beans, tomato/cukes and toss gently. Top with the olives and feta.

Chickpea Ragout with Meat:
    GF PB nb: entire batch has 484 calories, so divide into portions
    divided in 2: 242 calories 4.8 g fat 10.7 g fiber 11.7 g protein 40.3 g carbs 51.3 mg Ca
    divided in 4: 121 calories 2.8 g fat 5.3 g fiber 5.8 g protein 20 g carbs 26 mg Calcium
    This is from Jacques Pepin’s Fast Food My Way. Although he doesn’t mean my kind of ‘Fast Food,’ Pepin has long been a proponent of healthy cooking. He presents this as a side dish, but for our purposes it is best prepared as a main course with seafood or or meat for more protein. If you want to eat it on its own, top it with some cheese.
    ½ tsp olive oil ½ cup diced onions ½ cup scallions, chopped 1 Tbsp garlic 2 cups diced tomatoes, fresh or canned and drained 1 and ½ cup chickpeas, drained and rinsed if canned ½ cup chicken stock ½ tsp salt ½ tsp pepper
    Heat the oil in a saute pan. Add the onion, scallion and garlic. Stir briefly over the heat then add the tomatoes, chickpeas, salt, and pepper. Cook over low heat until liquids are mostly evaporated. If using now, separate out your portion and keep warm. Cool the remaining ragout and freeze it in serving portions.
    3 oz chicken breast [if cooked, mix in with the ragout to warm the meat] [if meat is raw, add to the pan along with the tomatoes and chickpeas]
    3 oz pork tenderloin [if cooked, mix in with the ragout to warm the meat] [if meat is raw, add to the pan along with the tomatoes and chickpeas]
    2 oz lean beef pieces, not ground beef [if cooked, mix in with the ragout to warm the meat] [if meat is raw, add to the pan along with the tomatoes and chickpeas]

Chicken Noodle Soup: 212 calories 3.3 g fat 5.2 g fiber 23.1 g protein 22.8 g carbs 105.5 mg Calcium PB If you have some in the freezer already, then this is really easy! HINT: This makes enough for two servings. Freeze for another easy meal.
    3 cups chicken or turkey broth 2 oz chicken white meat, diced or shredded 1 oz broken spaghetti or linguine ¼ c. white beans, drained and rinsed if canned 1.5 oz carrot, diced 1.5 oz green beans, cut into 1” pieces 1 0z Canadian or back bacon, slivered seasonings to taste: salt, pepper, dried thyme, dried sage Per bowl: 1 tsp grated Parmesan cheese + generous sprinkling of parsley
    Per person: [optional] 2 Finn Crisp crackers which adds 40 calories 0.5 g fat 2 g fiber 2 g protein 10 g carbs and 0 mg Calcium
    Bring the broth to a simmer and cook the noodles until almost tender. If the chicken is raw, throw it in the pot to cook. Add the beans, carrot, green beans, Canadian bacon and seasonings. When heated through, ladle into bowls and top with the cheese and parsley.

If you need more ideas, Google my ‘handle’ and find my Fasting blog which is all about the recipes.
    Good luck.

Thats great thanks guys ill give them a go and have a look at the others, really appreciate it

It’s not for everyone, but I like to have a ready meal as my one meal on a fast day. It’s quick and easy. Someone else has calculated the calories for me. I don’t get tempted to eat more because I’m in the kitchen etc. Today I had a low cal lasagne from the co-op that came in at 311 calories. There’s not a huge selection and I normally throw in a bit of flavour – salt, chili etc – all low/no cal, but I like it because it’s easy and warms me up – I get cold on FDs.

I hope you find something that works for you. Good luck!

Aglow, if that works for you, then OK. But if it is made with pasta, it wouldn’t be my choice for a Fast Day. But we each have to find something that helps us. Exercise, warm herbal tea, and washing the dishes by hand are all good ways to warm up.

There are other options too. Today is another FD for me and I had a Fish Pie that was delicious. There’s also Jamaican chicken with rice etc. It doesn’t have to be pasta 🙂

Just suggesting that Complex Carbs are better than Simple Carbs — for Fast Days and Slow Days.

I always make and eat low cal veggie soup on FD. At dinner I have a seared chicken breast or a piece of salmon and nothing else. I more or less follow the same pattern every FD, so I don’t have any thinking to do. 🙂

50-Fab, sounds delicious and that’s good advice.

Hi all, love the suggestions!

I also have most of my calories in the evening, with some early afternoon (usually just a carrot or two to get me through).

All my meals are made up mostly of vegetables, some protein, and usually konjac or ‘miracle noodles’ which i find gives the meals a good base.

I tend to do either a chicken or tofu stirfry with coconut aminos, miso, chili, and vegies. Changing up the veg/protein depending on what I feel like. Usually had with konjac noodles. Otherwise a chicken and veg ‘noodle soup’ with konjac noodles.

I tried a tofu miso ramen last week as well which was a nice change.

We are Fasting today. For breakfast we enjoyed eggs baked with chicken cooked with Haitian spices all ground up], served with a side of melon and pineapple. For dinner we’ll have an old favorite, Rumbledeethumps [aka: Colcannon] which I have gotten down to the right calories for a Fast by combining the mashed potato with mashed cauliflower.

Happy Fasting.

I have developed a love for Miso or Vegetable broth they are both about 10-15 calories a cup. I also like to stay simple and consistent on my FDs then I don’t have to think too much on food. So with the cup of broth I add in either 3oz of carrots OR peas OR shredded brussels OR celery. Lunch then is a total of 20-40 calories and I feel good to boot!

I know a site where you can find a great idea for dinner. Or for a romantic meeting.

https://alyssadaycooking.blogspot.com

I advise you to try to cook one of these desserts.

I love homemade tomato soup with brown rice and two boiled eggs 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply.