May 2019 Challenge

This topic contains 718 replies, has 55 voices, and was last updated by  jaifaim 4 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 719 total)

• Welcome to the May challenge! I’ve laid out all the tips from recent hosts for anyone new to the challenge. Lots of text but it’s worth a read if you have any queries:
    The monthly challenges were started by @coda in May 2016 and so far this year @at, @snowflake56 and @ciren2 have guided us through each day..thank you all so much! If I can do half as good a job as you all I will be happy! I’ll do my best to check in with you all daily but I know that there are so many knowledgeable and helpful people on here that we will be just grand 🤗.
    Many of us have benefited enormously from the generous and invaluable support given each and every month from our global community. Some of us are in maintenance while others are on the path of finding their happy weight.
    Below copied and pasted from previous challenges is the general guidance as to how this works (same as it has always been) and we add to these tips as we go along …
    1. Start your daily post with the day of the month, where you are and if you’re on a fast day (FD); a non-fast day (NFD) or a controlled day (CD) – (e.g. for 1st of February it would go something like “Day 1 – Ireland – FD” for me.)
    2. Provide a quick intro about yourself in the very first post – mostly for the benefit of the newbies and as much or as little as you like…some people like the anonymity of this forum so feel free to share as much as you are comfortable with…A brief blurb about your journey so far and what you aim get from this way of life (WOL). Also if you wish, your starting weight and any other measurements (waist, hip, bust etc) you aim to keep track of throughout the month. I have to admit I’m not great at the measuring..
    You can record this on the spreadsheet which will be available below soon.. you can choose to use the spreadsheet or not.. it’s completely up to you!
    3. You can add any comments/questions/moans/whinges/triumphs… or anything you feel like you want to share with the rest of the forum. We all have good days and bad days, days we fall off the wagon and days when we hang in there for dear life………so if you want to share it – post it.
    Recipes, tips, tricks and questions can also be shared – most of us are logged on at one time or another and can clarify things, offer advise, support etc when needed – this is the great thing about this international forum, there’s always someone online!!!!
    Over the course of these monthly challenges, there have been small groups doing their own mini-challenges – called ‘pocket fasters’ or ‘pocketeers’ – they set a target and support each other through it. Anyone can join one of these groups or start a Pocket List – it’s entirely optional and flexible.
    For those of you who are new, if you are copying the pocket list on FDs on your phone or a tablet these steps might help:
    Copying the pocket list: there is a knack to copying the pocket list on a phone or tablet: You should hold your finger on the first line you want to copy e.g. “day 1 -pocket..” and the select option will display. You should then see a “start” selection marker and an “end” selection marker…drag the “end” selection marker to the end of the list and choose Copy..
    It’s best to start the selection on standard text rather than people’s names/links as they are links and you will automatically be linked to their profile..it can be a little frustrating…

5:2 basics – answers from @simcoeluv who used come on and answer queries newbies had to many FAQs plus top tips:
    https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/the-basics-for-newbies-your-questions-answered/
    @simcoeluv I hope all is well with you as we have not “seen” you in a while..

Here’s the wonderful list of abbreviations @rainbowsmile made:
    IF Intermittent Fasting
    WOL Way of Life
    FD Fast Day (500 cals)
    MFD Modified Fast Day (800 cals) on the new Fast800, it’s a FD
    WFD Water Fast Day (Water only)
    CFD Controlled Fast Day (1200 cals)
    NFD Non Fast Day
    5:2 5 days NFD:2 days IF
    ADF Alternate Day Fast, FD, NFD
    16:8 16 hours fast 8 hours non fast
    B2B Back 2 Back (days of FD or WFD)
    DD, DS Darling Daughter,Son
    OH, Other Half
    LOL Laughing Out Loud
    Keto, way of eating that generates Ketones
    LC, Low Carb way of eating
    LCHF, Low Carb High Fat way of eating
    TDEE: Total Daily Energy Expenditure
    This list is always added to…👍

Also to those who we have not seen recently I really hope that all is well and that we see you again soon💕 life does get in the way of this WOL and we all have other things going on which take up our time and energy but dropping in/out is absolutely fine 🤔.

Hi all, I am very happy to host the May challenge as I find its this time of year that things derail for me… Easter chocolate, summer ice creams, summer drinks… 🙄
    The first challenge I joined was October 2017…and I’ve been intermittently fasting in all senses of that phrase 😂 since but I am committed right now to check in regularly for 2019.
    I bob around 12-13 stone and have never gone much below 12st since I joined but I’m quite happy at the lower end of this and ideally would like to get to 11 1/2 stone this year if I can.. I’m very active, very muscular but carry weight in my hips and tummy.. unfortunately weight comes off my face first…
    I love being outdoors even in our lovely Irish weather and cycle lots, walk, hike and play tennis regularly.
    I’d like to find time for Pilates and strength & conditioning but life is already so busy with full time work, elderly and failing parents and my family and friends.
    I’m pretty much staying away from alcohol and sugar as much as I can… but I am very easily led particularly when I’m out with friends so will never be off either completely but it’s going well in my opinion – and that’s ALL that counts… no-one else has my life or my body and they can “hold their whisht” as we might say here 😂

Onward and downward ⬇️
    We rise by lifting others 💕

hi @jaifaim great introduction! I’m in!

Here is the link for the May 2019 Challenge (3rd Anniversary!) spreadsheet, I hope it works, if not, please notify me:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1j39Y-VsjETm20Vc89cFG2Fk3KWaACZpg0qBIG-s-4io/edit#gid=267525576

Hi all, the link to the spreadsheet is below. thanks so much @snowflake56 for setting it up 👍.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1j39Y-VsjETm20Vc89cFG2Fk3KWaACZpg0qBIG-s-4io/edit#gid=267525576

Thanks for taking over @jaifaim…you’re chief-nanny for the May Challenge. I’ll be there!

Hello @jaifaim – I’m definitely in for the May Challenge – Thank you for taking up the reins from @ciren2. I need to buckle down and ensure that I have a good month in May before my birthday in June – I fear that I will be at the top if not above my acceptable maintenance range……..Will find out on Wednesday after my weigh in……….

Looking forward to daily posting and being more accountable in May – “IF I QUIT NOW, I WILL SOON BE BACK TO WHERE I STARTED. AND WHEN I STARTED, I WAS DESPERATELY WISHING TO BE WHERE I AM NOW”

I’m in! Thank you @jaifaim for hosting May 🙂

Count me in, need to stay accountable, thank you @jaifaim x

USA Day 28

Thank you, jaifaim, for hosting this month and to snowflake56 for putting the spreadsheet together. I am all in for the May challenge!

Count me in as well, I also need to stay accountable. Thank you jaifaim and snowflake56.

Hello Jaifaim! Please count me in for the month (but no need to add me to the spreadsheet).

Hello everyone else! I’m now back home (Australia) after a few years abroad, and as part of that home-coming, need to (re)-commit to 5:2. I was good once, but have definitely fallen off the wagon over the last 6 months. I find this forum such a huge help and support, that I am logging back in.

My routine (once I get it up and running again) is to do a water fast (water = coffee!) only on Mondays and Thursdays. I find this easier than trying to limit myself to 500 calories: if I start eating something, I want more! Ultimate goal is to lose 20 kg. I know I can do it – but I really need to concentrate.

Looking forward to seeing old familiar names and meeting new ones.

Hi @jaifaim thanks for being our host this May, count me in!

Heck yeah I’m in!

Count me in please; my first challenge!
    Funshipfreddie, aka David

hi old friends and welcome back @penz! Also a warm welcome to @dj757575 and @funshipfreddie, I added your names to the spreadsheet in case you want to use it.

Oops?! Not very good at this; I was filling in the spreadsheet, & I somehow deleted the name below mine?! So sorry, someone from Melbourne, Australia. Everything else is there, but the name has disappeared.

@funshipfreddie don’t worry, I put @gretta back on the spreadsheet.

Thank you!

Hi @jaifaim, count me in for May!

I will be back on the 1st with a little intro but looking forward to the challenge ahead.

Hi @jaifaim, I’m in for May. Great that you’ve made yourself available for us for the coming month.

Count me in! I started with @coda 3 years ago … wow. Wouldn’t be where I am today, maintaining my goal weight, without every challenge and the wonderful international folk here!

Hello All. Count me in. Looking forward to a merry May with you all 🙂

@aglowworm: You’re here…good to see you made it!

Welcome back @ciren2, @snowflake56, @at, @michelinme, @russetfox, @daffodil2010, @ccco, @penz, @gretta, @rabbette, @betsylee, @songbirdme (one of the originals 👏) and @aglowworm – you’re here!!! Well done to you!

Welcome to the May challenge @dj757575 and @funshipfreddie
    It is great to have you with us 👍

It’s wonderful to have everyone back for the merry month of May (good one aglowworm!).

@jaifaim thank you so much! 😘

Hi @jaifaim, thanks for hosting. Please count me in.

I’ve been a long time away from here, but now I’m back! Count me in for May challenge.

@lew welcome back, I added your name to the spreadsheet in case you want to use it!

Count me in please I started on Codas first challenge 3 years ago and successfully lost around 25 lbs , then I think I forgot some basics and around 15 have managed to find there way back 😢 dipped my toe in the water last month and although no weight loss I did manage to fast twice a week so I’m hoping for real results this month

Hi @jaifaim, thanks for hosting. I’m in.

Hi. Count me in please. I’m still here, falling off the wagon a bit, but reading everything and still want to continue. H

Can anyone join the May challenge? I am a relatively new recruit to the 5:2 (started on March 4th, and have lost 7lbs, which hasn’t changed in the past 4 weeks )and am finding it pretty gruelling. I have noticed that my measurements are still the same, which seems odd.
    I can do the FD but get stupid on the other 5 days, has anybody got some tips for a silly old woman? Any replies, however insulting, will be greatfully appreciated.

I forgot to tick the box notifying me of follow up emails so here goes!

Hi Guys,
    I’m up for a May challenge and a bit of support after leaving the diet for a while.
    I started the 5:2 on the 15th January and lost 17lbs in 8 weeks, from 13 stone to 11st 11 ( i actually think i was a bit heavier, but stopped looking at 13!). I put 2 pounds back on over the Easter Holidays, when i was not very active, so currently am 11 st 13. So i suppose i am successfully maintaining. I would just like to lose another half a stone.
    A bit about me: just turned 48, 5ft 9 / 175cm tall, and tipped the scales ( on my Birthday!) at 13 stone (82.5kg) that’s the heaviest I’ve been so something had to happen, when all you’re clothes are too tight right? My ideal weight is 11 st 7lbs or 74 kg. I had just been steadily putting on weight over the last couple of years and i didn’t want it to continue.
    My fast days are usually tuesday and wednesday back to back.

Hi
    I am a returning member to this forum having followed in 2017 when I reached my target of 60 kg. Life got in the way and I have been playing with intermittent fasting since then! I feel I am now ready to buckle down again and lose the weight I have gained since last year.
    I will weigh in tomorrow and post result! I have added my name to the May spreadsheet and many thanks to @jaifaim for hosting the challenge this month.
    It’s only when I have the support of the forum that I am successful and so am looking forward to once again getting to grips with this WOL!

@yvette_hamilton — yes, anyone can join! I’m up there with you (my 71st birthday is Thursday, May 2) and also have grandchildren from 19 down to 11. I lost my 35 pounds back in 2016 over about 9 months and been on maintenance since then. I also exercise 3x per week at Silver Sneakers.

Join up – this is one terrific group of people.

Welcome to the May challenge @andyrou 👍 and welcome back @brightonbelle, @mia139, @faceache1, @yvette Hamilton, @emma Taylor!
    Great to see new pals joining us and old friends coming back 💕.
    No matter what your goal for this month all are welcome 👍

Hi @jaifaim. I only purchased the 5:2 book today, signed up to the forum and seen this challenge. I would definitely love to join the challenge. 😀

Day minus 1

Hello to May and thank you Jaifaim for hosting. Another new start full of hope for the month ahead.

I am 51, female, petite at 5’2, and have been on this WOL since July 2017. I have lost around 30lbs, gained a few back when I changed jobs from a very physical job to a sedentary office job with treats everywhere!! However over the past few months I have been slowly inching off the plateau, and with increased exercise I can see my body toning up AT LAST 💃

I was slim all my life until I stopped smoking in 2002. Still the best health thing I ever did,however slowly I 50lbs. My heaviest was 12.5 stone which at 5’2 was way too much. The day I got a slight heart scare got me into getting rid of the weight. I lost the 50lbs on the Dukan Diet very quickly but could not maintain. Gained 30lbs back, then came across the 5:2 in July 2017, and have been going strong since. I am almost at maintenance, just need to figure out when that is.

This is the best way to control weight, it’s simple, non restrictive, and good for your health.

Looking forward to spending May with you all ☺️

Thank you for hosting this month @jaifaim 🌹 , count me in 🙂

Day 1 – Japan – ?FD (B2B2B I guess)

@jaifaim thank you for hosting this month. I’ll have a lower number of fasts in May, maybe only around 1.5 per week because of travel. I’m starting May in a water fast.

I’m 67 hours into this water fast. I just haven’t decided if I’m going to break it or not today. If I do I’ll probably do exercise and eat a low carb meal. In any case when I do break the fast, I’ll probably do that no matter what time of day to take advantage of the length of the fast.

My blood glucose is at 67 mg/dl (~3.7 mmol/l) but I feel fine. I don’t have a way to measure my ketones right now, but I’m sure they are ramping up otherwise I wouldn’t be able to function.

If I fast another day I won’t be fasting a second time this week. The body also needs to be fed sometimes. However I’ll probably do only 6 or 8 hour eating windows. I can eat a LOT of food in 6 hours.

Day 1 – 2nd post

Been looking at keto food pyramids. Hmmmm … Most include some alcohol exclude things like diet soda, which is crazy. I can understand excluding both, but not allowing alcohol while excluding diet soda.

For my normal diet I don’t push low card, mostly because it limits whole fruits and nuts too much. However a low carb meal is probably a good way to break a longer fast. I also have a lot of eggs in the fridge that should be eaten. 😀

So I’m thinking eggs with sharp cheddar, salmon, and a large dark greens salad favored with pickels. Then back to my more normal heavy fruit/nuts meals.

Day 1 NZ – NFD

Hi @jaifaim, thanks for hosting this month

Count me in for May, lost the plot a little last month, but not majorly. Starting this month 500g higher than last month, but feel my mojo coming back. As Ciren said last month, as long as we are hanging onto the wagon, we are able to jump back on.

Day 1 Melbourne Australia – NFD

Hello all, hoping to get back on the wagon in May.
    Thanks to @ciren2 for April and @jaifaim, thanks for hosting May.

I want to raise the bar with my walking this month – namely, do a minimum of 2 hours trail walking each weekend, with a goal of being able to walk for at least 6 hours, by the end of the year.

Well done to everyone for hanging in.

Ok. I’m in now. Thanks @jaifaim for hosting and @snowflake56 for getting the spreadsheet up.
    I will do better this month on using the spreadsheet. I think that I am not making a weight goal since I hit the first of my not pounds goal (fit back into certain work pants) which should make hitting goals less stressful. So, my goals are hitting on structure this month. I am going to daily fill in the spreadsheet instead of using it as a starting and ending mark. I will be doing 800 calories on fd’s until either we figure something else is causing it or I’m told to stop and will be 2 days a week. I want to find some mild exercise youtube videos to add to the hopeless laughing of last month’s hula hoop I can do with the younger two by the end of month.

Day 1 – 3rd post … now a WFD (3rd in a row)

Today has turned into my 3rd WFD in a row. I’m 73 hours into this fast but I’m planning on ending it in 27 hours. A 100 hours sounds good. I bought salmon for a keto style meal tomorrow. However I’m fixing a large spinach salad to go with it. I’m also going to use onions. If I bump myself out of ketosis it isn’t that big of a deal since my breakfast the next morning will be oatmeal with a lot of fruit.

Just checked my blood glucose, 71 gm/dl. Before when I did a 7 day fast it when to the low 60’s by the end of day 4. This time my blood glucose has dropped much faster. I guess on the year between I’ve had some improvements.

Day 1: Gloucestershire, UK: NFD

Firstly, thank you everyone for sticking with me as the April-host, even though I’m no example of a successful 5:2er….love you all, fantastic people xx
    @jaifaim: Thank YOU for taking over. I’ll try to do better this month and actually LOSE some weight!
    Still on nursing duties with DH. Have to tie his shoe-laces and things like that. He’s getting some slip-on shoes, because I’m back at work on Friday (although I do have a planned week-off next week). So he’ll need to manage just two days on his own, Friday and Saturday.
    @dykask: 67 hours into your latest waterfast last time you posted….awesome (as they say)!
    @betsylee: 2.9kg DOWN for April that’s getting close to half a STONE (or 7 pounds) in English….I’d be deliriously happy with that…well done to YOU xx

Day 1 Melb Aust FD800

Hi all, I’m another of the not-so-young brigade at 69, only 154 cms tall, which I think is just over 5 ft (I’ve shrunk 2 cms in the past few years!) and still weigh far too much for my height. I joined the 5:2 WOL late last year, and after a few struggles, am loving the ease of it. So far I’ve lost 12.5 kg (27.5 lb) and have about another 20 kg to lose, to reach my goal weight. For the first time ever, I’ve been cleaning out my wardrobe as the weight comes off, so there is no turning back.

I’m single, a retired medical laboratory scientist and ESL teacher (2 consecutive careers) and am currently studying and enjoying life. Love this forum, love the accountability, and as someone who loves numbers and statistics, really enjoy the spreadsheet.

Onward and downwards for this month everyone, and good luck with the weight loss. Literally, if I can do it, anyone can! 🙂

Day 1, Emden Germany (being Dutch), NFD

Hi everyone!

My journey so far:

I’m a Dutchwoman (from Limburg in the South) living in the North of Germany, married, 62 y.o, 163 cm/5’4 tall. My weight was 56 kg/126.5lbs all my adult life until starting a new job in 2011 where my weight crept up to 72.9 kg. I read the book and joined the challenges from March 2017 on. I lost 20 kg very quickly, retired in April 2018 and maintenance became a struggle. Last month I lost motivation and gained 3,8 kg, weight this morning 61.2 kg/134.9lbs. Not sure how to go on, I haven’t set a goal for this month, I’ll just go day by day until I’m at 56 kg/126.5lbs again.

Have a nice day everyone!

Count me in for May @jaifaim

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 719 total)

You must be logged in to reply.