March Newbies w/c 3rd March

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
March Newbies w/c 3rd March

This topic contains 19 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  batwoman74 10 years ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

• Hi
    Anybody else starting out this week?

I’m desperate to shift 1 stone which I put on when I quit smoking 8 years ago and have never managed to shift despite lots of exercise and taking up triathlon last year!

Got a big birthday in 11 weeks so would hope to be someway towards my target by then!

Elaine

Hi, I started Monday too and like you I’ve only got a smallish amount to lose. I want to lose around 8 or 9 lbs by the time I go on holiday in June (13 weeks) so I feel more comfortable with myself in Summer clothes.

How have you done so far? I did really well on Monday but yesterday was a bit of a disaster because I blew my calories by going over my TDEE by over 200 cals. I’ve reigned myself in today though and hope that by going under by a similar amount I can sort of undo the damage. I’m fasting again tomorrow.

Karen

I’ve done ok so far. I’m using my fitness pal to track, I usually only eat around 1400-1600 calories daily in the week (then blow it at the weekend which is why I’ve stayed the same for so long!) so I’m used to doing that.

I’ve used the calculator to work out my TDEE and quartered it which gives me around 560 cals on fast day as I do a lot of exercise.

I fasted Monday and had plain oatsosimple for lunch with skimmed milk and sweetner and a low fat yoghurt. Then I had a fish pie for tea so around 540 cals. I did a body pump class in the evening.

Yesterday I had about 1500 cals with no exercise.

Today I’ve had WW leek & pot soup, one seeded ryvita dunked in it and a WW fromage frais for lunch. Tea is a Sainsburys be good to yourself chicken biryani which totals 502 cals. I may have a babybel light in a bit. I’m swimming tonight for around 45 mins.

How have you found your hunger?

I’m starting on Friday! Have been slowly piling on the weight for the last few years and my weight has now reached an all time high of 11 stone 3 pounds (I’m only 5’1)
    Desperate to shift some weight!
    Giving myself a mini target of 10 stone for mid June and a final target of 9 stone by my birthday in mid August. Would love to celebrate my birthday in that dress that’s been hidden for the last 2 years…

Little scared of my first fasting day! How hard was it for you two?

Not as bad as I thought! I thought the afternoon would be the worse but surprisingly it was the morning for me (I eat my first 200 cal meal around 1pm and then tea around 7.30-8pm).

I did go to bed really early though and will do the same tonight as it’s my second fasting day!

Hi and welcome:

Here are some tips for those just starting: http://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/warnings-to-newbies/

And here is a weight loss pattern you might encounter along the way: http://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/really-no-weight-loss/

Good Luck!

I found my fast day on Monday pretty much ok, not too much hunger but went to bed early. I didn’t eat breakfast (that doesn’t really bother me tbh) and had veg soup for lunch and scrambled egg with spinach for evening meal. Unfortunately the last 2 days when I’ve been able to eat up to 1670 (my TDEE) I’ve gone over (whoops). I guess I’m just getting used to it but I’m fasting again today so hopefully I’ll get back in the swing of things tomorrow. I’m also using My Fitness Pal to track my calories and find it really useful. I don’t do a great deal of exercise other than dog walking and I have a sit-down job so I don’t really have alot of calories to play with even on my feast days so I’m really going to have to take myself in hand to stop myself going over!

Karen

How have you got on over the weekend Karen / Bethany?

I’m fasting again today. Had between 1800-2000 Thurs-Sun and my TDEE is 2300 so hopefully that should be ok! I’m not going to weigh myself til next weekend.

We’ve just signed up for some personal training sessions with focus on kettle bells and the trainer has offered to give some “nutrition” advice. I just kept quiet as I wonder what his impression will be of 5:2…..

Elaine

Hi batwoman

All in all I went over on my non-fast days last week and didn’t lose or gain anything. My TDEE is only 1670 so easy to go over especially if I had wine but starting again today and I’ve fasted. Doing fine so far and I think I might try 4:2 week to try and see a shift in the scales next Monday.

Let me know how you get on
    Karen

Well 3 weeks in and weighed myself this morning for the first time, only 2lbs lost boo hoo!

Fasting today, will keep ploughing on through and weigh in again in a few weeks.

How are you doing Karen250463 & BethanyLois?

Hi everyone,

I began 5:2 on 24th Feb and its been a month. Ive lost 1kg. I did lose 4, then the weight went up.
    Im feeling kind of down about the lack of weight loss.
    I worked out my TDEE and like most I have 2000 cal on non fast day and 500 on the fast day.
    I am 47 and in Menopause. On HRT and since the HRT have put on over 10kg. The dr said that 5:2 is excellent. I just wish that I could work out what the problem is because I am not losing weight like everyone else.
    Can someone tell me – is it harder to lose weight during Menopause? It just seems nothing can shift this weight. I have 15kg to lose to make a difference.
    Man, I feel pretty pathetic. Especially reading how everyone else is losing stacks of weight.

Are all calories the same? What should I be eating on non fasting days?
    Should I get a calorie counter and use that religiously.
    Is the 5:2 a method that works for everyone or is it just everyone except me?

Sorry if this sounds like a “Woe is me” but Im truly downhearted about this.

I would love to hear from people who have experienced the same and managed to turn a corner.

Thanks in advance. 🙂

I was able to do HRT and lose weight by choosing to eat at the lower end of the recommended calories. I was doing 1400 calories when my TDEE is 2100 and the BMR is 1300. I did this for a few weeks and then was able to go up to 1600 calories and continue to lose.

Try eating fewer calories. The TDEE is what you need to not gain weight.

Hello Cat 🙂 it’s possible you’re eating too many carbs, especially on your non-fast days, and you should check whether you could cut these down. Protein will fill you up for longer and you’re body will benefit from this. Rice, pasta, potatoes and bread are big culprits but also be wary of how many bananas you eat. If you don’t want to cut these out, try smaller portions of those particular foods. When I do a spaghetti or rice dish, for example, I only use 75g between me and my husband and just make sure the sauce is plenty. I do like a sandwich as my bread is homemade but I have an open sandwich using one small slice with lots of whatever on it.

Basically, count your calories on your fast days and avoid too many carbs and processed food (you don’t really know what’s in it) on other days. Good luck and let us know how you get on. Jane

Hi cat:

You have been on 5:2 for four weeks and lost about 2.2 pounds. Given the TDEE you gave and assuming you are accurately counting your calories and eating 500 on your diet days and 2000 on your non-diet days, you might expect to lose about 3.2 pounds in that time. The difference could easily be explained by water weight. Here is how the numbers work: http://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/tdee-for-the-curious-or-why-dont-i-lose-weight-faster/

If you want to lose weight faster, you will need to count some calories to insure you are indeed ‘hitting the numbers’. Most people that don’t count calories underestimate how much they are eating by quite a bit. If your numbers are right, you will have to eat a bit less to lose weight faster.

Overall, you can’t compare your weight loss with that of others. Everyone is different. Here are some general hints for newbies: http://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/warnings-to-newbies/

Good Luck!

Bit of an update. Hubby & I have some personal training sessions and PT instructor took body fat readings and I’ve lost 1% in 2 weeks so that’s not too bad!

Hello to Karen, Elaine, Bethany, Jane & Cat67. my name is Ken i am 61 and I am starting my first “Fast” day on Monday 7th April, I have read your forum notes with a sense of hope and welcome anticipation, I didnt know you had to count calories on non fast days, this might sound daft but this week i have been practicing for monday = black tea , lots of salad etc, I hope you dont mind me joining your little group and i hope you can all help me the way you help each other,Ken PS what is “My fitness pal ” ?

Hi Ken – of course we’ll help – there’s mounds of information and encouragement on this site to help losing those pounds we don’t want! Check out simcoeluv’s links (24 March) above for the basics.
    ‘My fitness pal’ http://www.myfitnesspal.com/ is a site which you can use to track your daily calories. There is a database of food calorie counts, including specific commercial products and many people find this useful.
    Good luck!!! Jane

Hi Ken and welcome. I think lots of people on here use myfitnesspal because it helps you keep track of your calories and has loads of products in it’s database. The best thing you can do this weekend is work out your BMI, BMR and TDEE (explained on the ‘How’ section at the top of this page) then you know how many calories you can allow yourself to eat up to on your non-fast days. You’re a man so can eat up to 600 calories on fast days.

Good luck.
    Karen

Thank you Karen & Jane , now i know i can do this because i have the help and freinds to see me through , on Monday i will give you my stats if thats ok then you know where i am starting from. Geeee what nice people thx from Ken x

Hi all

Weighed in at weekend, after 6 weeks and 11 fasts I’ve lost around 4.5lbs now. Have session with trainer this weekend and he will measure my body fat and inches so hopefully will show up on there.

It’s strange as I’ve had few comments regarding weight loss and clothes are fitting differently yet it’s not showing much on the scales!

How are you all getting on? And welcome to Ken!
    Elaine x

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply.