Maintained for almost a year – now gaining – 4:3?

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
Maintained for almost a year – now gaining – 4:3?

This topic contains 8 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  marielaem 10 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• I started the 5:2 over a year ago and within six months had lost 17 lbs instead of the 10 I set out to lose. I continued with fasting twice a week and although I did not lost any more I maintained happy.

In the past few weeks – which roughly coincides with my giving up smoking for vaping – I have gained just over 4 lbs. I do not want to gain any more, and am going to do the 4:3 this week, to see what happens.

Has anyone else had a similar experience? There have been no major changes in my diet – I log on MyFitnessPal – and although my gym attendance has dropped a little due to ministering to the sick, I am pretty active.

I would just like to know if anyone else has experienced a weight gain after maintaining for some months, while still following the 5:2 way of eating, and if so, what did they do …..

Thank you.

@marielaem I’m not a scientist or a medical practitioner but when my son decided to try to give up smoking by using an ‘ecig’ I looked them up and found that they use propylene-glycol. It may or may not have a bearing but here’s what I found..

http://voices.yahoo.com/is-propylene-glycol-making-fat-7531330.html

It makes interesting reading.

xx

I have stopped smoking over a year ago and am now a happy vapor. For me, a one pack of Marlboro smoker a day, vaping is godsend!

Anyhow, I did not gain weight through vaping.

In your case, it might be that you cut on your exercise regime. Also weight fluctuates a lot. It is though interesting that even though you kept to 5:2 you did not continue to lose weight. Are you eating below your TDEE on your feed days?

I am very close to my ideal weight and losing weight has dramatically slowed down. Maintenance I have read is a tricky path to find the right amount of calories to eat. I make sure these days that my weekly allowance is within my TDEE, but am not too strict anymore with my daily calorie goals. So far this works.

Best of luck
    Stef.

Thank you for that @sylvestra – I’ll take a look.

Wow – have saved that to my desktop and will look into the ingredients of the ecig liquid that I am using.

I’m convinced that giving up smoking affects one’s metabolism. This may be at the root of marielaem’s present experience. After 10 or more attempts I finally managed to quit 12 years ago. And I didn’t replace the ciggies with sweets, either.

All well and good but since that time I’ve found it incredibly hard to lose weight. Under the 20-a-day regime, reduced calories meant reduced weight. Not any more. Even on the 5:2 its taken me a year to lose 6 kilos. There are still times when I’d kill for a fag… (sorry ladies in the USA, a brilliant example of how word’s change meaning when they cross the Atlantic).

This is a real dilemma – will try the 4:3 for a week or so anyway, to see if anything changes, while doing more research into this issue.

try the every other day diet she has now done her 5 year human study

dr mosley interviewed her dr krista varady

hope that helps

i think there is article on her

michael talks about 2

http://thefastdiet.co.uk/happy-2014-everyone/

“Krista Varady”
    “We show reductions in cholesterol, blood pressure, blood sugar, insulin – we also show that people stick to it for a long time,” she said. “We had a one-year study funded by the National Institutes of Health, so … we’ve shown that in repeated studies it does work. People stick with it and they get all these health benefits.”

2 c complete article

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/could-alternating-diet-days-trim-your-waistline/

n this article Weight Loss Stalls and Intermittent Fasting
    “When viewed over time, you will see that despite the jagged ups and downs, the over-all trend line is down and decreasing–indicating steady weight loss. Sometimes our bodies need to take time to catch up with the loss. We often perceive being “stalled,” because the empty fat cells with be filled with water (because they like to be full) and our bodies like balance…but after a while, your body will get the message and release the water, causing a “whoosh” or a big loss of 2-4 pounds, seemingly overnight.”

http://www.fastdayshealingdays.com/weight-loss-stalls-and-intermittent-fasting/

also the add adf diet w/ krista varaday

“Krista has worked on studies for more than 10 years and overseen trials on around 600 people (not to mention on a whole load of mice beforehand).”

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/02/05/every-other-day-52-diet-weight-loss_n_4674289.html

u will succeed

keep us posted
    usa

Thanks to everyone who has posted – I really appreciate your input. I got on well with the 5:2 for over a year – lost more than my goal and maintained that loss by continuing to fast twice a week, so to put on 4-5 lbs while carrying on as per was a bit, er, depressing. I am not aiming to lose a load of weight – just the 4-5 lbs that I have gained since January. I didn’t mind at all “stalling” at the weight that I was – but did not want to gain …. good thing that I originally lost more than I had planned to!

I checked through my diary and MFP records last night, and the weight gain started about 2 weeks after I gave up smoking.

I did a little more research into propylene glycol, and discovered that there is an alternative veg-based eliquid, so I contacted Smoker’s Angel, explaining my situation and asking if they stocked the alternative. They got back to me very promptly, and this is part of their reply:

“Thank you for taking the time to email us.

Weight gain is a common side effect of giving up conventional cigarettes, it’s very common to gain around 5-10lbs in the first couple of weeks after you give up the cigs! Cigarettes and the chemicals within act as both a stimulant and a sedative. Immediately after a puff on a cigarette there is a rush of adrenaline which causes the liver to release glycogen (sugar) which raises the blood sugar levels slightly. Remove cigarettes and your body slows down your metabolism to counteract the lack of chemical input. I believe there is a link between propylene glycol and weight gain, though as propylene glycol and quitting smoking go hand in hand there is often a bit of confusion between the two!”

Their eliquid is apparently 70% propylene glycol to 30% vegetable glycerin and they do stock an eliquid that is totally veg-based.

(Must admit that I find the last sentence a little puzzling!)

Anyway, I am now embarking on the 4:3 – Tue/Thu/Sat and today I did my first stint of Fast Exercise. Three sets of 20 seconds running flat out on the spot, followed by 10 seconds of rest. I plan to do this three times a week, gradually increasing the sets, in addition to my gym activity. I will take a look at the links to the Krista Varaday material too – many thanks for those, @wiltldnrusa.

It seems that I have to give my metabolism a shot in the arm – so if anyone has any ideas, please don’t hold back.

I do not want to go back to smoking conventional fags – yes, I’m from the UK, too @hermajtomomi. I never thought I would give up my Marlboro Reds, but I get a better throat hit from the ecig. Other bonuses – I have no cough any more, and my watering eyes problem is almost gone. I never wanted to give up smoking, and see ecigs as a cheaper, healthier alternative. I obviously knew that weight gain was associated with giving up smoking per se, but did not realise that the same thing could happen with changing to ecigs.

I really want to nip this in the bud before it gets worse!

Once again – many thanks to everyone who has posted. I will let you know how I get on.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply.