Made a big decision…tossing the scale!

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
Made a big decision…tossing the scale!

This topic contains 7 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  littleliz44 9 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

• As some of you may have read on my earlier posts, I am back after doing 5:2 for about 3 1/2 months (April-June)and stalling for 3 of those months. Funny enough, it wasn’t the actual diet that made me quit…it was that darn scale! While I might not have been at the weight that *I* thought I should be at (170 lbs/a lose size 12 for me–I really am big-boned LOL)I was likely at a weight that my body found good for me (178 lbs.) I got frustrated with the stall so I quite 5:2…and now 3 months later, I probably weigh around 190-195 lbs (haven’t gotten on the scale and don’t intend to).

I figure that if I am truly doing this for health and weight loss is just a great side effect, then why focus SO much on what the scale says? I took my measurements and will ONLY go by those and by how I am feeling. I will no longer allow that stupid little device to have SO much control over my feelings and cause me to make poor decisions based on what numbers it shows that day.

Has anyone else here tossed their scale???

If it’s the scale, then you will succeed by not having a scale to measure progress.

Or it could be your clothes..

Or it could be the people around you..

Or it could be your approach.

If 5:2 is truly a lifestyle for you, then you will continue regardless of what the world & a scale says.

Good for you NicoleS. Although the decreasing weight on the scales is helpful, I have lost 7 inches this month, but the scales have stayed the same! I am a HUGE fan of the tape measure and trying on clothes. Just make sure that you take your upper arms, bust/chest, waist, thighs and calves.

How you look is all about losing inches. How you feel is rather more complex. My focus was all about the lbs, but over the months has switched to the inches lost.

I think that we are all a bit obsessed on what the scales say, when the health benefits seem to be far greater.

If you increase your daily exercise, you will build muscle which burns more calories than fat and makes you look more toned. Win win really. Exercise is just moving your body, so gardening, walking, dancing etc are all fabulous.

Well done you!! I so badly want to be able to do that! I weigh myself 2/3 times a day and I know it’s crazy but I can’t help it!! It’s like an addiction haha.

Keep us updated on how you cope 🙂 and good luck x

@rockyromero – well said.

My weight has not changed in the last few weeks, though my waistline is shrinking and I can’t eat larger portions.

good luck with your journey

Great idea – good for you!

I never took a start reading or measurements, as I honestly never expected to lose more than the visceral fat that I suspected I had after watching the documentary (I’ve always weighed more than I look). That & the health benefits seemed more than enough reason to take up this lifestyle and it was 2 months before I thought “Hmmm – these trousers seem to fit quite nicely all of a sudden…maybe I should weigh myself?”.

Since then it’s been strictly once a month on the Wii for me and the occasional laugh-fest trying on my old sack-like clothes. It’s more than enough to keep you going and it means that this is your lifestyle – not your obsession.

Sounds like you have made the right decision for you Nicole. You are right about the weight being a side effect.

I’m a few months in now and can’t seem to get below a certain notch on the scales, has been driving me mad that I seem to have plateaued so soon but I will focus on the tape measure I think and ignore the scales. The last half stone is definitely the worst to get rid of but I a determined I will!

Hi MrsB:

Most plateaus result from simple overeating on non diet days. The overeating usually occurs because your TDEE has decreased, often combined with a slight increase in caloric intake.

This might help: http://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/on-plateaus/

Good Luck!

I wrote this morning about how much success I have had post menopause with inch loss but not much weight loss.
    I have increased my exercise and am much more toned and have lost a total of 10 inches overall. Only 6 pounds lost in 18 weeks but shape transformed. Don’t bother with scale people see how you look, not your weight and muscle weighs more so I no longer weigh myself but measure once every four weeks and am still dropping in size.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply.