Long time lurker, 1st time poster!

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
Long time lurker, 1st time poster!

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  TracyJ 10 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• Hi all! *waves*

I finally took the plunge this week after reading about the fast diet for about six months! First fast day (Monday) well surprisingly well – 501 cals and a stroll into town which used up a fair few cals.

Yesterday, however, was a bit of a fail where I ended up eating close to 5000 cals! I’m a bit ashamed and feel a bit silly.

I’ve decided to do my 2nd fast day today so I can hopefully stick to it as well as Monday.

Do exercisers tend to exercise on fast days or non fast days? My weekly Bokwa class (high tempo, burns about 600/700 cals) is great but I’m a bit nervous to do this on a fast day. Does anyone have any advice?

Holly
    x

hi Holly and welcome to the forums!!

well done on your first fast, don’t worry too much about the 5000 cals, but have you checked your TDEE? the amount of cals you should consume on your normal days? top of the page under the how? section there is a tool which will calculate this for you 🙂
    re the exercise it depends on how you feel and what works for you, I do mine as usual but nothing as strenuous as yours lol!!

good luck and let us know how you are getting on!

Hi Angie – thanks for replying!
    Yes I did, and re-checked just now – 2181 cals is my TDEE. I ate two and a half days worth!! Crikey.
    Hmm, maybe I’ll stick to keeping that day as a non fast day and probably walk on my fast days.
    How long have you been doing this and what’s your progress like? How have you found it?
    xx

Hi HollySlimlightly, good advice from Angie above there. I’d just add that I’m a swimmer and did used to avoid fastdays earlier on until I got comfy with fasting & dealing with hunger etc. It was months before I tried swimming on a fastday properly but it was fine, so I don’t know if it would have been fine from the start or not.

I would caution you to think about how you need to approach your calorie allowance if you’re exercising on a fastday though. My experience is that if I eat ANYTHING before I swim I burn through it during the swim and make myself ravenous after my swim (like you my swim will burn a minimum of 600/700 cals). This would be hard to deal with on a fastday. If you think you can manage it I’d recommend you try doing your class on nothing but water and eat your entire 500 calorie allowance later on to avoid ravenous hunger and being peckish at bedtime.

Good luck & let us know what you decide to do and how you get on wont you 😉

hi Holly!

sorry for late reply, just seen your post lol… wow that’s a big TDEE! and I completely agree with Tracy re the cals and exrcise on fast days!

I started in July last year, at 9st 13 and now down to 9’5, give or take a few pounds… I find the fasting days can be either easy or I can struggle sometimes, everyone is different but I think generally most fasters cope really well!! I am doing a mixture of 16.8, ie I don’t eat before noon and nothing after 8pm, and at the moment I am doing one fast a week and see how that goes for a while and may revert to 5.2..the reason being is that I am at a healthy BMI and weight, though ideally id like to shift that last 5lbs lol!!

good luck on your journey and come back to let us know how you are doing 🙂 xx

Hi Angie – I’m 15 stone 7 so that’ll be why!! I’m nearly 6ft so I always tend to be heavy but my best weight is between 12 and 12 and a half stone.

How often are you meant to adjust your TDEE, do you know?

Sounds like you’re quite in your routine now! xx

traceyJ – excellent advice, thank you. I’ll play around with it I think, thanks for the pointers! x

Hi Hollyslimlightly* waves back* I just started 5:2 on Monday as well,1st fast was fine. I walk 5 miles everyday and did it on mon.I guess if you’re doing a high intensity work out then you should play it by ear and see how you feel. Try a class and if you feel weak/it’s too much then leave it til a non fast day. Dont feel too bad about Tuesday,we’ve all had off days. It will maybe take a while to get into a routine and for your body&mind to adjust? Good luck☆

Hi HollySlimlightly, your TDEE isn’t THAT big, I promise you. I was also about 15st when I started out but I wasn’t almost 6ft!!! 😀

I knew nothing about TDEE and the concept of ‘individual’ numbers for calories until about a year in to the lifestyle. It still worked for me because I was trying to stay on or under ‘Ms. Average’s’ 2000 calories on non-fastdays and that obviously must’ve been well under my starting TDEE.

I’ve got to the point now where if I’ve been able to do my current BMR & TDEE calculation and then just change the weight to what I’m aiming for to get my ‘end state’ TDEE that number is actually above my current BMR so I’ve decided to just aim for about that ‘End State TDEE’ figure as my non-fastday intake and hopefully it will mean that I plateau and grind to a halt as I reach that weight. That’s the plan anyway.

Your BMR might still be a little bit too high to do this? But if not, give it a try. It should shift a lot of weight in the short term and then gradually slow down as you reach your goal weight.

Good luck 😉

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply.