Lemon and lime juice -cause spike in insulin?

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
Lemon and lime juice -cause spike in insulin?

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Harpreet 8 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• Hi there,
    I was hoping someone could help me with a query. On fast days I eat breakfast then fast for 8 hours until dinner and in between I am strict to only have bad coffee, water and herbal teas but I’d like to squeeze some fresh lemon or lime juice into my water but I’m worried it’ll take my body out of fast mode. I know I can count it towards my calories but I like doing fasted cardio/weights and I am worried about lemon or lime breaking my fast mode. Any advice would be great 🙂 thanks.

Hi Harpreet and welcome:

There is no ‘fast mode’ with 5:2. You can eat any time, as many times as you want on your diet days as long as you don’t go over your 500/600 cal. limit.

Here is most of the information you need to be successful with 5:2: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/the-basics-for-newbies-your-questions-answered/

Good Luck!

Hi Harpreet,

It won’t be the lemon/ lime that spikes insulin, but your breakfast most probably will! And depending on what you’ve eaten, an 8 hour gap between breakfast and dinner is highly unlikely to be sufficient to deplete your body’s stored glycogen so, as Simco points out, you won’t be in a ‘fasted’ state, just calorie restricted.

Hi Happynow thanks for the feedback can you advise as to what one would need to do to work out in a fasted state? Very disheartened as I’ve been so careful to not eat anything after 7am so that at 5pm I work out thinking I was burning fat stores instead of energy from my food and I’ve been struggling sometimes because my stomach is rumbling in the gym and now en route to gym now to do the same 🙁

*Sorry correction 12 hours not 8 hours between meals.

Simcoeluv love your advice and always read your posts thankyou 🙂

Hi Harpreet,

You would have to do a lot of exercise for it to make much of a difference to your weight loss, but it will increase your fitness and flexibility, tone up your body and make you feel good. Don’t be disheartened as regardless of whether you are in a fasted state or not you are burning a few extra calories and improving your chances of a long and healthy life.
    I can’t exercise after eating and go to the gym first thing in the morning, usually after a fast day and don’t have any issues. A big drink of water should quell your rumbling stomach and once you start your workout I doubt you have time to think about hunger, I know I don’t.

Good luck.

Harpreet,

I suggest you Google fasted state and work outs. There are a lot of opinions on the subject! I don’t know what you eat for breakfast, or what/when you eat the evening before. Or how generally active you are. But generic advice on how long it takes from your last meal until you’re in a fasted state varies between maybe 8 to 16 hours. So you might be in a fasted state at 12 hours. But wow, that’s commitment! Having breakfast at 5am so you’ll get 12 hours before your workout at 5pm!

Anyway, going back to your original question of whether a squeeze of lemon or lime would take you out of a fasted state… It seems highly unlikely given how few calories there are in a squeeze of lemon juice…

Hi Amazon and Happynow I just realised i didnt thank you both properly for your advice, thankyou 🙂

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply.