Just started today

This topic contains 251 replies, has 48 voices, and was last updated by  sunflower-ph 9 years ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 51 through 100 (of 252 total)

• Hello cakeywakey! well done on your 4lb loss!!
    Hows everyone coping today? I’m majorly craving custard cream buscuits of all things!
    Super excited that its pancake day tomorrow too!:)

Hi everyone. .just come across this forum. I have been 5.2ing for about a month and have lost 5 pounds so far. I am on this forum to distract myself from snacking or drinking a glass of wine which is what I would probably be doing on a non fast day… I have never tried dieting before ( I’m 51 ) but have started seeing weight creep on around my waist but hate the thought of full time dieting. So far so good. Good luck to all of you

I started today & have just found the site too, good luck to all fellow beginners.

Welcome all new people!!
    First fast day today (in australia) ahahha it’s 6:30pm and I am getting hungry! Going to have a small portion of salmon and some spinach for dinner. Hope everyone’s day went well

Morning everyone! (And evening MaryJ!) Just broke my fast with nutella pancakes yum!! going to drag myself out for a run later though.
    good luck everyone fasting today!

Hello everyone, MaryJ stay strong – I had a tough time last night and didn’t sleep well but was so pleased this morning that I stuck with it so just stick it out – you can do it and think how great you will feel in the morning! I am so annoyed I blooming well forgot it was pancake today so I just had some toast and coffee – maybe pancakes and nutella for lunch absteroo!! My husband has a works do on Thursday so we are going to do our other day this week tomorrow – and if I dont manage that then at least I have Friday as a backup…

Well hello everybody!

To anyone who had a fast day yesterday, how did it go for you?

I managed 450 cals for the day and it was pretty much fine. Had to witness my boyfriend eat 2 (yes 2) burgers and 2 portions of fries as we met up unexpectedly after work but I just gad a diet coke and wasn’t actually tempted at all – think it was just the determination of not wanting to mess up at the first hurdle. Also I was thinking if I’m going to make this sustainable I have to be able to take unexpected things like that in my stride and not sacrifice my life to the diet or I won’t keep it up long term.

Got 2 weddings to go to in August. Jaws will drop. Mark my words.

How did everyone else’s first fast day go? Give us the deets.

Wow Faster 24 that was strong – well done you! And thanks to those that have posted your initial weight loss – that is a real inspiration. I was really worried that if I ate anything at all I wouldn’t be able to stop and I couldn’t be bothered calorie counting (and my daughter had a sick bug which I thought I might get)so I had two black filter coffees for breakfast (never had a black coffee in my life and it was fine actually), herbal tea and fruit tea during the day and sparkling water and then I had a diet cherry coke at tea time (in the bath) and another herbal tea in bed (when I would usually be snacking as my husband was on night shift). I had tummy rumbles from 6pm ish onwards and I woke up a few times with a stomach ache but by the time I woke up this morning I didn’t actually feel any hungrier than any morning – I had my usual breakfast of toast and coffee and I feel fine now – back to “normal”. I think I will try the no cal drinks again tomorrow for my next fasting day (am fasting tomorrow as my husband has a works do on Thursday) and see how I go – will reduce my food bills anyway!

I think i prob ended up with about 600cals in total for my breakfast but then stuck with green tea and water for the rest of the day! I had major cravings all day and was obsessively pinning healthy food recipes on pinterest like a crazy woman! i then went to bed dreaming about all the things i could eat today, but now todays come I’m really not that hungry. Ive just been out for a run and about to have Jillian Michaels torture me for 20mins with her shred! Joy! It’ll all be worth it though! 🙂 And its really helping having you guys to update!

Haha I was thinking the exact same thing to myself yesterday wackypad!

Like ‘well it might not always be fun but it definitely is cheap’.

I tried to go 0 calories yesterday but it was too difficult for me. I am going to try eating much more protein next fast day though in the form of egg whites as I eat them all the time anyway and I think they will fill me up more effectively.

Haven’t weighed myself yet as I want to wait until I’m a whole week in (I’m imagining weight fluctuates wildly with this WOE throughout the week. Fingers crossed though!

Hi absteroo!

I found eating later in the day and just having coffee beforehand made things easierfor me. Maybe you could try having your breakfast meal as dinner instead and surviving on green tea or coffee up til then? Might make the cravings a bit less intense.

Also I know what you mean about not really being that hungry the day after the fast. I had an almond croissant for breakfast this morning and felt really sick afterwards. Even fasting for a day seems to have curbed my sugar habit a bit, which can only be good!

Oh my gosh. I haven’t been online for a day and the convos are piling up.
    What do you guys eat at your fast days? No starch carb?

Hello Sunflower ph – My husband and I started together – first fast day yesterday so by no means do we know what we are doing yet but I did no cal drinks all day – herbal and fruit teas, sparkling water, black coffee (breakfast – I hear coffee can suppress appetite?) and a treat of a diet cherry coke at tea time. My husband had two poached eggs and 2 slices of ham for breakfast and a stir fry of broccoli, two mini chicken fillets and a slice of bacon for his tea. He also took an eat natural apricot and yoghurt bar to work as he was on a night shift last night. How long have you been going and what do you usually eat?

So you go for 0 cal in your fast days?
    No offend but how many cal did your hubby had in total?
    I’ve been doing this for 2 weeks now. Was consequent my first week. Struggled my 2nd week due to social events.
    But lost 1 kg first week. Will weigh myself again end of the week because if 2nd week. Extending this weeks fast a bit to compensate.

Faster24 thank you i might try that! usually I’m busy during the day which keeps my mind off of it, but ive got a week off from uni this week which made yday harder! When is everyones next fast day??
    I’m doing tomorrow. Want to get this first week out the way then back onto what wackypad is doing with the no cal FDs as i find eating nothing easier than starting eating and stopping!:)

Hi Sunflower – My husband is large (18 stone and used to weight train so he is dense – he ha!)He is an aircraft engineer so has a physically exerting job and he mountain bikes and golfs so a quarter of his TDEE is actually 800 cals – lucky so and so – he has the fitpal app thingy on his phone so he totted his up at around 700 cals total – he can scan the bar code of food and work out the cals to the minute detail but he is that kind of person. I on the other hand do all the cooking and cannot be bothered counting calories so it was easier for me to stick to no cal drinks all day so I think unless there are calories in the coffee grits I had nothing at all. I would recommend giving it a go and seeing how you feel – I don’t think I felt any different to my husband – I could have eaten but didn’t give in and didnt feel faint or anything – only really rumbly around tea time and I quashed that with a diet coke that filled me long enough to get through it. Absteroo I am doing tomorrow too!! I hope!!

If not eating anything on your fast day you may have to slightly increase your cals on an ‘eat’ day so that your weekly average doesn’t fall below your bmr! 🙂

Wackypad: thx for getting back. Struggle through the day. But will stay strong (hopefully)

Thanks Friolero – will do (halve half a box of Valentine chocolates left over so perhaps will have those this evening….) and sunflower – you are doing so well already – a kg down! I haven’t lost any weight for 7 years so will be over the moon if I am one pound down at the end of my first week. I am going to get some lunch now and weirdly feel like a healthy poached egg on toast – usually have a sandwich and crisps and a chocolate bar – lets see how I get on!! Wish me luck – are you other new fasters feeling like a healthier choice today@?

Hi, I have just joined tonight. I hope to make Monday and Thursday my free days. Good luck every one.

Hi everyone. Good hear everyone being so positive. It was hard yesterday but nice to get the emails with all the chat going on which kept me more motivated! The hardest time was feeding the kids on my own at 5pm -they were having pasta and both weren’t that interested and I had a couple of bite of theirs- which prob officially took me over my 500 as the ‘proper’ food I had was just under. Don’t know how some of u don’t eat anything! Couldn’t do that! But felt very good at the end of the day for it-and makes me more motivated not not over eat today!! Have decided not to weigh myself until next Monday….x

Hi all

I survived my first fast day. I didn’t eat in the end – but had a few low cal hot chocolates to keep me going through the day. I figured that way I had a couple of hundred calories to use in the evening if I needed them (i.e. if I was too hungry to get to sleep). But in the end I didn’t use them.

Breakfast this morning was extra delicious!! I ate a large breakfast – but haven’t really been hungry at all since. Which is good – I was expecting to be ravenous!

Looking forward to pancakes and a glass of wine or two tonight now 🙂

asterboo – thanks for that link. I watched it last night. It made a good distraction from the hunger – as well as an interesting watch. Here’s hoping for similar benefits 🙂

Actually the low cal hot chocolates are a good idea thanks – I did have a bit of trouble getting to sleep so that may help – didn’t think about that – did look at my old dried up jar of cocoa in my baking cupboard as was considering one of those with just hot water yesterday but surprised at how many calories are in it.

No problem Liftin4food 🙂 i really enjoyed it when i watched it.
    well it hasnt been the best non fast day today as I am stuck at home revising for a big exam and I’ve eaten a bit too much chocolate – giving it up tomorrow for lent so using the excuse that I’ve got to get rid of it all before then haha. I did run and shred earlier though which burnt about 400cals. How is everyones day going?

I ate around 750cals on my fast day today as I got halfway through my pancake stack, felt sick from the sweetness of it and had to have something savoury- so went for a lentil and veg soup. But otherwise I’m happy with today and I’m not going to sweat over 250cals.

Good luck giving up chocolate absteroo! I did that once for lent. It actually put me off Galaxy a bit!

Hi

I am planning on giving up chocolate for lent too. It’s my biggest downfall and often don’t go a day without a bar of some description. Thought it may assist with the weight loss 🙂

I am currently doing weightwatchers and have got to goal last summer, only ( she says ) have 13 lbs to loose but wondered if anyone has ever combined the two and found this beneficial? I’m in two minds if I should be combining them both but find ww is good for portion control and healthy eating etc but 5:2 could be good for health benefits and if I over eat at all on non fast days.

Any thoughts would be appreciated
    Good luck to anyone fasting tomorrow, day two for fasting for me.

Had a non fast day today and didn’t want to eat as much as still felt loads more than yesterday! Not sure about combining 2 diets but from past experience (mine and friends!) better to do something you can sustain for more than a couple of weeks! At work tomorrow on a late shift so may leave fast day no 2 till Thursday as may need some extra calories to get me through those extra hours! Good luck to the Wednesday fasters!

Hi broru! 🙂
    I think what ever works best for you! I know someone who combines 5:2 and slimming world and she is doing well!

Good luck anyone giving up anything for lent! Friolero i did it for lent last year as well, along with cakes and biscuits! :/ i agree about being put off of it for a while! I eat far too much of it now though. so it should do me good to go cold turkey!

Hi everyone, started yesterday and had my first fast day. Felt foggy headed and spaced out. Next fast day is tomorrow.

Hi my first fast day was also yesterday. Think I ate about 600 cals.

Hello Hop3ful! Did you drink enough on your first fast day? Maybe you felt a bit spaced out because you were a little dehydrated?

Hello everyone.
    Well after seeing a colleague of mine and noticing that she was looking a lot thinner than usual, she told me about this 5:2 diet which prompted me immediately to check it out and I stumbled across this site. She inspired me and I am definitely looking forward to commencing this regime (we won’t call it a diet, it’s such an ugly word). Anyways if anyone has any useful tips to start me off, please do share and I do look forward to sharing my journey with all and hopefully it will be a successful one.

Hello everyone, just wanted to check in, yesterday was okay – ate the last of my valentine chocolates and am ready for my second fast day today – good luck and stay strong to any of you fasting today. Am on my second black coffee and feel okay. Early I know though!! Am going for no cal drinks only again today – it worked okay Monday so lets see…. Did want to do some exercise Monday and yesterday but just didnt feel like it when it came to the crunch so will try this evening. Have told by bestie about it so she is going to get the book and do it with me – we weigh exactly the same weirdly (as she is a good 5 inches shorter than me and she is an apple and I am a pear) so will be interesting to see how we do.

Hi all! 2nd fast day here for me. I’m about to have some scrambled eggs then water and green tea for the rest of the day. I have just been for a 8 mile cycle along the beach! such a beautiful day. I’m going to make sure i try to go out a few times a week from now on! Good luck everyone today for fasting and their 1st days of lent!

I completed Day 1 on Monday and will be doing Day 2 tomorrow Thursday. Felt okay on Day 1 scrambled egg with smoke salmon for breakfast, salad and bbq chicken for dinner – I didn’t weigh the chicken, which I know is bad! I’ve started couch potatoe to 5k this week too – a bit all or nothing I’m afraid! But still feeling good, so fingers crossed I keep it going with both.

It’s weird my sub conscious is willing ie I wake up on time for run or walk, but conscious brain kills it! I’m not working at the mo, lost my job in November, so no incentive! No incentive….’cept health, fitness!

Anne0411 I’m doing the couch25k as well so maybe we can motivate each other?! I’m on week 2 at the mo but I’m struggling because I’m awful at running haha!

Running…mmmm…really slow jog, I go as slow as I can for a jog it’s really just above a walk I just keep that up for the 60secs, worry about my breathing. That’s it! Hopefully it’ll help as I weighed myself today not lost anything! Boooooo

Hello everyone!
    I am just starting my first fast day today. It is almost lunch time and feeling a wee bit hungry, but not too bad yet.
    Looking for others who are also hoping for some support!
    I am 5’5 female, 150 pounds.
    Hoping to lose about 20 pounds.

Thanks and good luck to everyone! Excited to start this process.

Hi fayfayfay! 🙂 hope your day goes well for you today!
    Anne0411 my ‘run’ is also a pathetic excuse for a jog really, i struggle with 90secs. 5k at the end of march so i need to up my game a bit haha.
    I’ve been majorly arguing with myself whether to bail on my fast today as my friend wants to out for dinner and i wont see her again for a while. Could always do tomorrow as i am on placement so i’ll be busy. Decisions!!

Report of my fast day yday: was tough for me as my mind is set on Monday as my fast day and not Tuesday. Ended up eating a bit more than 500 cal.
    Going on fast at my 2nd usual day Thursday. Only one normal day in between. Let’s see how it goes.

Wackypad: you are doing so well.

Absteroo: shouldn’t be any big deal to postpone your fast day. You might just experience the same as me when I postponed my usual fasting day.

Hello All – absteroo – I hope you are out or about to go – this shouldn’t get in the way of real life – hope you can make some light choices – lots of places do lighter meals (or just eat half of what you have on your plate – I doubt anyone will notice) and have a sparkling water every other drink or have a wine and soda instead of a full wine? good luck anyway
    I am feeling a bit down – had a bath and looked at all my wobbly bits – seems like an insurmountable task but it is only day 3….. trying to stay strong – will go and get a herbal tea – yum! thoughts of toast and jam in the morning are all that is keeping me going… good luck tomorrow sunflower – keep thinking about Friday food to get you through 🙂 Hello fayfayfay – good luck !

PS anne and abs any running at all is very impressive to me – I cant even jog a little(since having children) – we are considering investing in an exercise bike though – anyone got one or a recommendation?

Hi wackypad! I had the same sorts of feelings yday, but dont worry, the lbs will soon be melting away! 🙂
    I ended up going for chinese in the end but was a lovely night and at least its good to know i can just fast tomorrow instead!
    afaid i dont know much about exercise bikes though! x

Hello friends
    A week and a half in, 4 fasts done and 6lbs lost. Thrilled to pieces with a fast start. Finding it easier to stick the FD knowing it’s only one day, compared to diets in the past which just seemed bleak. Have been watching calories on NFD but still managing to enjoy my meals.

My FD are Monday and Wed and loving the thought that after tonight I don’t need to think about it again till Monday. I tried this last year but kept swapping my days and I think that’s where I went wrong as id get so far through a fast day, then give in and tell myself I’d do it the next day. This time I’m going to stick to set days unless there is a very good reason to change and it’s a conscious decision rather than just me procrastinating.

Good luck for those fasting tomorrow.

CW

Hi everyone, I read the book yesterday and signed up today ready to fast tomorrow!
    I am about to start my final round of chemotherapy on Monday (yay!!!) and am wondering if anyone has personal experience with the reduction of side effects? I just wish I’d read the book 6 months ago as I may have been able to avoid some truly horrible weeks of sickness early on before my doctors got my anti-nausea cocktail right.
    Good luck everyone, looking forward to reading and sharing results
    Jasher

Jasher congratulations!! so pleased for you that you’re on your last round. And good luck for today 🙂 x

Now listen here wackypad, I happen to have a very high regard for your wobbly bits. (Not being creepy, it’s a quote from Bridget Jones). But the point stands.

Do not hate your body. Shame and self-loathing only make weight loss harder because you get that kind of ‘what’s the point’ feeling.

Also just something I’ve noticed: I see women on the tube, bus etc all the time who are much bigger than me and I think they are gorgeous. Like they might have beautiful skin or an amazing sense of style or lovely hair or eyes or anything really. Whenever I am having a crappy body-hating day I just try to see myself the way other people might see me. Trust me, noone is as critical as you are of yourself. Noone is thinking ‘gosh her ankles are a bit chubby’. They’re more likely noticing your shoes or your scarf or how perfectly you’ve done your eyeliner (liquid liner is my specialty).

Noone else notices minor ‘flaws’ because they’re not really there. Eating healthily and losing weight is a great way to look after and respect your body, but it’s really hard to do that if you’re starting from a place of criticizing yourself too harshly.

Having multiple children is an achievement! Go you!

(Sorry if this sounds preachy. It’s something I struggled with for a long time myself and only really managed to overcome it in the past year or so).

Thanks so much Faster – I needed that!! Was very close to falling off the wagon last night – I think my stomach was trying to play mind games with me! I went to bed early in the end and that helped – I was ravenous last night but not too bad this morning and having thought I would do a massive breakfast this morning I actually felt okay after my usual two pieces of toast. Jasher, really nice to hear from you – I am also hoping to make myself healthier and around for as long as possible for my family – I hope this helps you – please update us on how it affects your side effects – I really hope it does. My best friend’s Dad starts treatment this week for Prostate Cancer and she is going to tell him about this – he is not supposed to lose weight due to some cast or something that was made for him but I think he could still fast and then make up by eating more on non fasting days and reap benefit.

I weighed myself on Tuesday evening (so after 1 day of fasting and one day of eating normally) and it said I had lost 5lb(!) I’m not getting my hopes up too much though as I know weight fluctuates a LOT with this plan and am going to wait until Sunday weigh-in to get a better idea of how I’m doing.

I am down 1 inch round my waste though which is nice!

Viewing 50 posts - 51 through 100 (of 252 total)

You must be logged in to reply.