July 2021 Challenge

This topic contains 421 replies, has 31 voices, and was last updated by  NorthGeorgia 2 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 151 through 200 (of 441 total)

• Day nine, UK, NFD

0h my God I am such an idiot!!!
    Yesterday was such an easy fast day and it was all going really really well until…..

BUZZ WALKED IN!

No, only joking. It was all going so well until I realised that I had totally miscalculated the calories for my dinner!!!!! 🙄🙄

I only had half an hour to make and eat my dinner and so I was rushing doing the calorie calculations and somehow I doubled the amount of cheese that I was meant to be eating!

So instead of eating 700 cal yesterday I ended up eating 925 cal yesterday! Oh my God I am such an idiot! I only realised this at about 9 o’clock at night when I reflected that my dinner had been extremely filling!!! I did leave some of my dinner but even so…

I’m so annoyed because it was such an easy fast day and yesterday would have been such an easy win, but I managed to muck it up! GRRR !
    So I have to put myself down as OMAD for yesterday!!!

@penz – I am really sorry that you are finding it tough right now. We all go through these stages (well I certainly do) where you just can’t seem to get back into it….
    I don’t know what the answer is…
    I also love carbs.
    Cake, bread, chocolate, crisps… Bring it on!! 😋

Either way! I bet you look great in that dress anyway.
    Sending you a hug …

@freedomfoodgirl – I even wonder whether drs Jason Fung and Michael Mosley find it easy. Does anyone find routine food deprivation easy…? 😀😀😀

The only thing that keeps me going sometimes is knowing that the next morning I’ll feel great!!! And occasionally I might actually lose a pound on the scales!! 🤞😀🤞

@at – absolutely I’m pretty religious about alcohol these days, I can’t believe how much wine I used to drink and get away with it!!!
    I’m menopausal now and I just can’t get away with the calories anymore…. 😢

Day 9 – Lake district UK – NFD

Good morning everyone

Quick call in, early away on an errand this morning.

Yesterdays FD was remarkably easy, coffee breakfast and the veggie mountain on the BBQ at lunch. Everything seems to like the BBQ, whole sweetcorn and sweet peppers pick up the light smoky flavour beautifully, never thought I’d go for roast lettuce!!! but little gem cut in half with a light spray of oil, very tasty. The only failure was topping up the tan, clouds came over and it ended up a warm but overcast afternoon. Nice to sit out reading though.

Righty heading off, take care all.

Day 9 – South Africa 🇿🇦 – NFD

Mega PFDS today – and another half-kilo nuked!🥊🎆

@emma-taylor – I haven’t read ‘The Fasting Highway’ yet. I’d just seen the reviews on Amazon, downloaded the free sample & was wondering if anyone here had read it. But now I’ve gone & bought it on your recommendation.

@high5 -🤦‍♂️ oops?! But, easy mistake to make, & 925 cals isn’t exactly a binge! Maybe we need a new acronym? IFD for ‘indulgent fast day’.

@gkw – re tracking calories – I’ve just gotten used to weighing stuff, especially calorie dense foods like cheese & nuts. After a while you can tell how much something weighs just by looking at it, within a gram or two. And if you haven’t tried the MFP app, it really does make things easier because everything is already there in the database. You may just need to tweak the portion size or convert ounces/grams. Having said that, I just realised from you earlier posts that your BMI is already below 21! So I’m not sure that fasting alone will help you to achieve your goal.

@northerndawn – Jason Fung is on dietdoctor.com, along with Dr Andreas Eenfeldt & other low-carb/keto doctors. But his own site is thefastingmethod.com

@foodfreedomgirl – welcome back!

Day 9 Wales 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿 NFD

Enjoying the glow of PFDS this morning 😊
    Thank you to all the lovely people who kept me company on yesterday’s pocket list, having you with me turned what started out as a reluctant FD into a successful day. I need more good FDs if I am ever going to reach my goal weight again. I keep losing and regaining the same pounds every month! I have even found myself pondering whether to just revise my goal upwards 😯

All the talk about the pitfalls of refined carbs and alcohol has me wanting to stick my fingers in my ears 🙉🙈 yes those sticky excess pounds are the result of too much alcohol. What should be a little weekend reward for a good week has become a frequent evening tipple. I am seriously trying to get back into the DTF habit this month. I know exactly what I need to do but I’m just not listening to myself and I don’t know why.

@i-hate-lettuce roast lettuce,really? 😂

Happy Friday all 🙂

Day 9 – Ireland – CD

Happy Friday everybody, yesterday actually ended up being a FD as I have a family bbq tonight so half way through the day I decided to try keep the calorie deficit low ahead of that… 👍

@penz oops of course it’s just Sydney which is locked down. Glad you hear all is well there for you.

@stitchincarol thanks! It will be a couple of weeks… I’ve already received the scans to the app (amazing technology) but will wait for my doc to come back to me… I couldn’t make head nor tail of them 😂

@basyjames Well done on your good FD. 👏

Welcome back @foodfreedomgirl! Great to have you back 💪

Have a great day everybody!

Onward and downward ⬇️
    We rise by lifting others 💕

Sorry second post…
    Today is definitely not a CD….
    Happy weekend 😂

Day 9 UK NFD

Friday and the sun is shining ☀️ Not seen it for a while here so off for a walk on seafront
    Have a good one all

Day 9 – USA/GA – NFD

@high5 I LOL’d when I saw your post haha!! I think Buzz also called me from the dealership yesterday. I drove into Atlanta around 4:30 yesterday after they said my car was ready. 45 minutes later, I was just three or four blocks away when they called and said, “oops, we test drove it and there’s a slight rattle. They’re going to check it out. I hope you haven’t left, we’ll call you tomorrow.” No, no. Wait until you’re sure before you call the customer, I wanted to scream. But I kept my cool and tried my best to drive back in the rush hour traffic. Just going to head to work as normal and I’ll come down when its convenient today.

Normally, I would have had another FD around this time. Not smart to do that right now, so another NFD today. Weigh-in: 224 lbs. Trying to be mindful so I don’t return to 226, but who knows… Rather hoping tomorrow can be a FD. Rocking back and forth between the low and mid 220s so far this month. Hoping to eventually dip below 220. Then there’s my nephew’s birthday in two weekends, so I am really going to need to get my NFDs under control a little better.

Day 9 OMAD London

@funshipfreddie – I thought you had read it! I read it yesterday in one go and although there were hundreds of typos in the book ( it looked like it hadn’t been proof read at all….) I really liked it, found Graeme inspiring and very genuine, and I think it will help me. I know in my heart of hearts that having cream in my coffee first thing is a stupid thing to do when I’m doing OMAD, so I’m trying to think of a way round that. Maybe have black coffee until my eating window. I feel very well just eating OMAD but I think my weight loss is pretty slow because of the cream. Ho hum.

Day 9 Canada NFD

Quick check in for accountability. DD is visiting for the weekend so I will be watching portion sizes.
    Have a great day 💪

Hello everyone. Thank you for your replies, I’m grateful for your time sharing your experience and insight. I have finished the 7th week of fasting and feeling good. Occasionally one some fast days (about 2 days really struggling so far), I wanted to eat or stared at my husband’s food while nursing a mug of hot water or a plate full of greens and some eggs….! But I have not caved, that’s a relief.

Mainly I restarted 5:2 (first did it in 2012) is due to peri-menopausal symptoms and also very much want to fit into the clothes in the wardrobe. I have a mixture of dresses that I can’t zip up (horror) and those that I can but somehow have a bulge in the midriff that “kind of kills the line”. So I thought I would do an experiment till Christmas 2021 and now with a new timeline to end of March 2022 when it is my 10th wedding anniversary. That’s not to say I won’t continue 5:2 after that time. I do intend to keep with it as calorie restricting, delayed eating, and whatever we want to call it, should be a lifelong practice as we all know bad habits creep back in very easily.

Thank you for recommending The Obesity Code book, I am going to order a copy on Amazon. I also have the Fast 800 book on the bookshelf. I think for my frame, weight and BMI, 5:2 is probably sufficient to follow. I’m in my mid 40s, 5″1, 49.4kgs (lost 2 kgs since starting), at just below BMI 20.5. I’m Chinese born (not sure if there is a different measurement for BMI?). The belly measured at the navel is quite large for my height and frame, at 32″, hardly fills me with joy!

I have cut out refined carbs (not too strictly as I have occasionally taken desserts, whether at a restaurant or 2-3 dark 70% chocolate squares at home). I was thinking about low carb diet, but I know it is unsustainable for me (as I have tried it before, made me really cranky and made the fasting days even harder to keep). I don’t have to have oats / rye / brown rice / sweet potatoes / fruit etc at every meal, but I do need to have some every day. But what I’m going to try is to incorporate some exercises at home by doing free weight / resistance training. Also I’m going to a Zumba class with two friends this weekend! I have not tried this class before, so am looking forward to it.

I was just saying to my family, trying to lose weight / fat is no fun, and to succeed is to find a style that is sustainable. I’m still learning!! But after 7 weeks, fasting is a little easier and I do find myself looking forward to it, despite sometimes by lunchtime on the fast day I wish the day would go quicker so I could eat and have less hours to be tempted. I have to tweak my thinking that on those two days “my belly fat is being eaten”!!

Day 9 North Canton OH CD 7 days to beach vacation

I successfully made it to 90 hours on my fast. I had half an avocado with lots of salt yesterday, so technically my waterfast ended at 60 hours but I was able to make it to the 90 hour mark with very minimal carbs and only 120 calories. I shortened my run this morning to 20 minutes and I struggled through a Cardio class but I consider this extended fast a win.

I used to be a purist – all or nothing; but I have come to appreciate that this aging body of mine is trying its best and so am I. So let’s celebrate our wins and leave the rest behind.

@northerndawn I love your post to @gkw. You explained everything so beautifully.

@stitchincarol wishing you all the luck and willpower to stay away from the cherries and have a successful fast day

@freedomfoodgirl welcome back!!!! I remember you from a couple years ago-it’s good to see you posting again and yes Leslie Sansone is our girl. No way am I planning to be restrained at this vacation that I waited almost 2 years for. As we have all learned, life is short and that makes the special moments even more special

@penz sending warm thoughts your way. We all go through dips in motivation, and I am sure you will find your mojo again. The pressure of social engagements really does not help sometimes, just be kind to yourself and practice self-care right now because your soul needs it. Who cares what other’s think about your wardrobe, wear your dress with flair and have a good time! The rest will come.

@high5 it happens, don’t be so hard on yourself, this sets you up to be extra mindful on your next fast day. Speaking of alcohol, it used to be a treat until menopause became a part of my journey. Now, I weigh whether the lack of sleep and overheating that will result from imbibing is worth it, and it usually isn’t.

@i hate lettuce loves roasted lettuce!!! We have to change your name now 😁😂😂

@Emmataylor your post made me think of my sister. She adopted ADF as her fasting practice, and on her fast days she would drink multiple cups of coffee with honey. Well, as you can imagine she was not losing weight at all, and in fact was gaining weight steadily. I asked her to track everything that she ate and when we reviewed, that’s when she realized why. She ditched the honey and drinks black coffee with the occasional TBS of heavy whipping cream when she needs it; and the pounds have been falling off.

Enjoy the day and be kind to yourselves today 🧡💙💛💚. Namaste

Day 9 USA CD

Quick check in, as I have a busy day planned and need to get to it. Continuing on the HFLC and dry July path.

@gkw – I didn’t realize you were at such a low BMI; somehow I missed that. If you feel that your stomach is abnormally large for your overall height and weight, perhaps you should discuss your concerns with your doctor? It sounds to me like you are doing great to maintain your weight and at such a healthy BMI as far as your diet is concerned. I don’t think going low carb is something you need to do if you are already at healthy BMI. I would agree 5:2 is sufficient for you if you are looking for the other health benefits of intermittent fasting. Good luck achieving your goals!

@foodfreedomgirl – Welcome back! I remember your name. You know what to do to lose the weight, so just stay with this group to keep motivated. Good luck!

@basyjames – Thank you so much! I appreciate how supportive you always are, to me and everyone on this challenge!

@high5 – I kind of consider any day below 1000 calories a success, so congrats for keeping it a CD!

Have a good day and stay positive and persistent!

“Perseverance is the secret to all triumphs”. Victor Hugo

Day 9 USA – NFD

Getting DH off of carbs and sugars continues to be a struggle. As we call can remember, that feeling of being deprived is hard to shake.

@northerndawn – I will report periodically on how he seems to be doing! I’m right with you that any day under 1000 calories is a win. For me that’s a CD.

@foodfreedomgirl – glad you are back in the fold! Good to see you.

@basyjames – counting down days to a vacay – hope it goes fast for you!

Onward and downward.

Thank you @northerndawn. The Victor Hugo quote on your post is so helpful. Perseverance is something I’m learning in many aspects in my life, patience does not come naturally to me and I do fret. Alongside the fasting, my husband and I are training our rescue dog to be left home alone. This is another commitment and discipline but all for a good cause. All our efforts boil down to “take one day at a time”.

It is lovely to share a bit of life on here, thank you for having me in the group!

Day 9, USA FD

It’s absolutely amazing how committed to fasting I can feel one day (yesterday) and how much I can be justifying a desire to change my plan already today! Just read through posts and feel like I can make it after all!

Thank you all!

Day 9 – Rural Nebraska, USA – CD

My FD yesterday was a complete success…sort of. The doubt is that when I went to the fast food place I chose, I used the calories listed on the board to guide me, and I got to realizing AFTER I’d chomped down on every bit of that grilled chicken sandwich, waffle fries, and two packs of sauce, that I’d probably used the wrong number to guide my choice.

Oops.

Oh well, it was still around 800 all totaled, and the scale this morning was down another 4/10 of a pound, so I called it a success since I didn’t overeat on purpose, LOL. @high5 We’re in the same boat, aren’t we? I vote you give yourself some grace for your mistake with the cheese. 😉

I’m so late posting because I crawled out of bed, into gardening clothes, and went straight outside to start weeding, planting late-comers, and water. Except for a one-hour break to do a zoom call with my sisters, I was out there all morning, a total of a bit over four hours. It’s looking good, my calorie count is looking good for the day, and I’m glad to have it done.

Now I’m trying to figure out supper. We have a lovely garden tomato someone gave us, so I think I’m going to do a BLT salad I just found…or maybe I’ll do regular BLTs. Either way, it’ll be a perfect meal for this warm and lovely summer day.

@northerndawn I’m also toying with doing an egg fast next week. There’s nothing on the calendar that would interfere with it, so it’s simply an issue of if I decide it’s worth it. Have you done one before?

@foodfreedomgal Welcome back! You are always welcome here, whenever you choose, and I hope you find a groove that fits you well and gives you great results! And as to using MFP while at the party? Sigh…that didn’t work, LOL!

Ah, but @i-hate-lettuce, you can get just as bad a burn on overcast days as on sunny days…

@funshipfreddie IFD is PERFECT!!!

I’m loving all the chatter. 🥰 Now I’m off to shower and then assess what I need from the grocery store. Have a grand day/evening, everyone!

@stitchincarol and @northerndawn — what is the menu with an egg fast? Maybe I should Google it. This high protein/low carb menu that I am trying to do for DH ought to be great with lots of eggs.

Day 10 – Lake district UK – NFD

Good morning everyone

Off out early again today, one of Mrs IHL’s fundraisers today, I do the donkey work, putting up the gazebo’s, stalls, fetching and carrying etc and putting away afterwards, at least I feel useful, she is of course ‘supervision’ 😉
    Supporting the local cancer foundation where we have both had treatment, the people in the village are incredibly generous and supportive, many who either have had or know someone or family member who have had treatment there, so turn out in droves!

@missybear – @ Basyjames – Yes, Baby gem lettuce, well charred on the BBQ is actually quite nice, despite only the outer leaves being crisp 🙂

Time to go and sort out the village playing field!

Take care all

Day 10, U.K. NFD

Guess what!!!

I managed to do 3X fast days (of a sort) this week after all!

Monday: FD
    Thursday: OMAD/ IFD à la @funshipfreddie !!!!
    Friday: FD

Really really pleased with myself to have done a proper fast day off the back of an OMAD

I know you hard core folk like @at would think nothing of this but for me that is a really big deal so I am really pleased with myself!

Guess what #2 ?!
    I lost half a pound this week so only 3.5 pounds left to my goal. Phew.

@basyjames – wow! Wow! Wow! That is super mega hard-core! Congratulations and well done! 🎉🎉

@jaifaim – I love your second post! We have all been there haven’t we! I feel like I have been there many more times the most…!

@northgeorgia – your car!! The nightmare just rolls on… Can’t believe that you had to go all of that way for no reason, poor you. I really hope it all gets sorted next week…

@gkw – I love the idea of the belly fat being eaten up
    … What a great image!

@stitchincarol – oooh yes!!!!! That’s very familiar !!!!! I am so glad that I am not the only one!!! Oh well I hope you enjoyed it!!!

See you all on Monday x

Day 10 – South Africa 🇿🇦 – NFD

I think 3 FDs is enough for this week. 1.3 kgs down this month & I’m fairly confident I can shift another two to reach my month-end target.

@high5 – well done on completing your 3 x FD’s too! And @basyjames – I’m in awe 🥇

@emma-taylor – I’ve read a few chapters now & yes, it’s definitely one of those DIY self-published jobbies! But still fascinating. As much as I love eating, I just can’t imagine being that addicted to food?! Maybe I’m just fortunate, but I’m not crazy about fast/takeaway food, & about the only thing I’ve ever eaten in the car is a packet of Gummy Bears. And to be that huge?! It must be horrific; when he describes his dread at the thought of getting on a plane…

Have a good weekend everyone! ⛅️ 🌈

Day 10 – Canada 🇨🇦 – NFD

Good morning everybody. I’m just back from my mini vacation having eaten everything under the sun, chocolate cake, cheesecake, cookies, fudge, etc. I also ate some nutritious food too and some wonderful beverages. Had a great time but the scales show a 2 lb gain. Urggg. I’m planning for a FD tomorrow.

Take care all.

Day 10 – Rural Nebraska, USA – CD

Yesterday was going along swimmingly…until we stopped after our dinner out at a grocery store, and we bought DH’s favorite cookies: McVitie’s Digestives. Soooo yummy. And I ate FAR too many of them, sigh. It’s time to recognize them as my favorite cookies as well, and stay away from them!!! 😜 So, in penance, when we got home, I walked up to the gym and walked on the treadmill until I got to 10K steps. It certainly wasn’t enough to offset the cookies (yeah, yeah, “digestives,” but to me, they’re cookies, LOL!) but maybe that little rule will make me think twice the next time I want to eat half a package at one time! 😏

We got almost 3 inches (7½ cm) of rain overnight in a huge storm, so my usual half hour of watering isn’t necessary this morning. We have a wedding to attend this afternoon, but until then I get to work in my sewing room on my current quilt. It’s shaping up to be a lovely day, and I’m hoping the wedding food is boring enough not to tempt me to too much!

@songbirdme This is what caught my eye, and I was thinking of following: https://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/egg-fast-diet-menu-plan-low-carb-keto/#google_vignette

@dvw Welcome back! Sounds like a lovely time and two pounds a small price to pay for the glorious food and drink you enjoyed! Good luck on today’s fast.

Windows are open because it’s still cool, but it’s starting to get muggy. OH! I just looked at the forecast and it’s currently 72/21 and not supposed to get any warmer than that all day. Well THAT’S not a typical July day, LOL! The humidity is typical, however, at 87%. I’m so glad that’s all the warmer it’s supposed to get, because lots of people in Omaha are without power, and at least it’s cool enough they won’t be miserable without AC.

Okay, I could chatter for another ten paragraphs, but it’s time to cease and desist and get on with my day. I’m going to quote @at today:

Remember that “If you keep going you won’t regret it. If you give up you will.”

Day 10 USA FD

We have more going on this weekend than we typically do, though we aren’t nearly as busy as you all seem to be!

My DH has been working on all things under the hood of his 1969 Pontiac Firebird and today the guys are coming over for the first startup. Watching dials and gauges and looking for leaks… I’m so excited for Him! This as been his car for 28 years, and mainly just sat for the last 15 waiting for him to have money and time at the same time… You know the story I’m sure! Well today is the day.

We still have one kid at home, 15 yo DS, and he’s heading off camping for this next week as well, so while I’m not actually going or doing anything exciting, this week will be exciting for those around me.

I love reading about all the travel and activities you are enjoying.

Heading out for my run. Thinking 5 miles today. It’s lovely and breezy this morning.

@stichincarol – lol on the admitting they might just be your favorite digestives/cookies as well. I totally get that.

@i hate lettuce – you seem content to do the work and support your DW, I love that. Hoping for a successful fundraiser for you all!

Day 10 – USA/GA – FD

The car is back and sitting pretty in my yard. Nearly $1,400 in repairs, but supposedly the insurance company will reimburse it all. Today’s weigh-in (tried again after grocery shopping) is 225 lbs. I had a TON of salt yesterday. Sprinkled it over lots of chunks of mediocre watermelon, had three tacos from Taco Bell, and two helpings of some stewed fresh vegetables I had converted into an actual stew. So the salt is really holding on. I need to pump the water through me big time today.

I have to look at a calendar to figure out when in the world I can fast this month. Now that the world wants to open back up, every client and partner is ready for an in-person lunch GRRRR. Got to get back down to the 220 line so I can dip below it sometime this month. I’ve been on this odd 5-lb up and down plateau for the past two and a half months.

“Why don’t we go to the bathroom?” Megan suddenly suggests, standing up and grabbing Rita’s hand. Rita’s face is still flush from anger. She stands up, still scowling at Buzz, and the two head off towards the bar area.

John quickly downs a glass of water as the server returns with miniature cheese and fruit platters for each of us. As I take a slice of apple, one of the ladies speaks.

“So how do you all know each other?”

“Oh, Aunt Beverly,” John says, “these are just some nice people we met at the restaurant who agreed to help us out for the wedding.”

“Oh yes, John, I know, but I was just wondering more about them. Are you from Triplicity?”

“No,” Wesley says. “We were just on a short vacation to visit the Overlook.”

“Oh, goodness,” Aunt Beverly says. “I am so sorry. Are you sure we’re not ruining your trip?”

“Not at all,” Lola says. “Rita, John, and Megan have been great! We were happy to help out, and they’ve been very generous and kind.”

“Yeah, I wish they’d show me a little generosity,” Buzz says.

“How do you mean?” Aunt Beverly asks.

“A little cash. A little something to get me through the month. I have bills to pay and here they are throwing it all away on food, hotels, decorations, and what not. That doesn’t seem too responsible.”

“It’s not that lavish,” John protests.

“It’s ridiculous. If you want to get married, go to the courthouse and sign the papers. A lot of waste if you ask me.”

“It’s what Rita wanted,” John says.

“Well,” Aunt Beverly says, “yes. A lot of people do overspend on these ceremonies, but I don’t think John and Rita have done too bad. Plus, the honeymoon trip is right here near the Overlook!”

“Yeah, well. I could have used some of that money for my power bill this month.”

“Haven’t you found any work yet?” asks Aunt Beverly. “It seems as if you’ve been looking for a job for a very long time.”

Buzz gets quiet and looks down at the table. “Nothing yet.”

“Poor dear,” Aunt Beverly says. “Maybe I can help you out with…”

“No, Aunt Beverly,” says John.

“But how is he going to find work if they shut off his lights?”

Lola looks at me and shakes her head in disbelief.

Pocket list Day 10
    @northgeorgia

Day 10 MN/USA CD or FD?

Sorry for such a late post (3 pm my time) but I had a ton of things to accomplish this morning.

Still doing Keto, feeling food, but as I had 30 gm of carbs yesterday, I’m hoping I didn’t nudge myself our of ketosis. Guess we will see. I forgot until late last eve, when DD reminded me, that I had promised to babysit DGDs tonight. So, temptations will be plentiful. Their home has many treats available, though they limit the amount the girls can have.
    I decided I had to go keto to counteract the last babysitting job with them last Monday when they made it a competition to see which one could give me the most twizzler’s ….they had quite a few in their separate goody bags that they had collected from a parade (they throw a lot of candy to the kids at most parades here in the US).

I may just do BPC (bullet proof coffee) today and call it a FD. Shall see how it goes. I’m only going to take some string cheese with me tonight.

@stitchincarol – Yes, I’m using the menu from http://www.ibreathimhungry.com to do an egg fast this next week. Not sure when I start. Yes, I have done egg fasts in the past, but not with her menus. So it will be interesting. Part of the reason I started keto on Tuesday was to get over the “keto flu” prior to doing the hard core egg fast. It takes me about two days is all to get into ketosis because I generally don’t eat very high carb, and I’ve done keto several times in the past 10 years, so my body is use to it. Even so, I know that an egg fast can be difficult, especially if you aren’t in ketosis already. Wednesday evening I very much felt the change over to burning fat for fuel. Thursday a bit tired and foggy. Yesterday better and almost normal. Today I feel great.

@songbirdme – I would strongly advise that you do NOT do an egg fast or have your husband do one. They are hard-core. He is definitely not ready for it, in my opinion. But, if he likes eggs, you can always add a couple fried in butter or coconut oil to his daily intake …..that would be healthy for him. The choline in egg yolks feeds your liver, which is the organ that metabolizes our fat. Win-win.

Just a reminder: keto means high fat + moderate protein +low carb (generally less than 40 – 60 gm/day). Keto means VERY low carb (less than 20 gm/day) a moderate protein intake-because protein can actually be turned into glucose by your body, so you will burn that before your body fat, and the rest of your calories should come from fats.

I must sign off for now. I hope to post again late this evening.

Have a great weekend everyone!

Second Post

That should have said: HFLC means high fat, moderate protein, low carb of 40-60 gm/day; and KETO means less than 20gm/day of carbohydrates. Sorry for all the typos….just rushing too much.

Day 11 – Lake district UK – FD

Good morning everyone

Well what a great success yesterday was, Mrs IHL’s fundraiser was incredibly well supported, yet again the people of the village were absolutely fabulous in their support. The helpers, the bakers, locals and visitors alike got out their purses and wallets and raised an excellent amount for us to pass on to the local cancer foundation.

Todays going to be a quiet day and going to be a FD. Erecting the gazebos, carting tables and chairs around, being ‘the runner’ supplying the helpers with teas and coffees, then putting it all away again, was a bit tiring. However, I was rewarded by the ladies with a supply of fresh sausage rolls and various other delicious freshly baked items. Couldn’t really face much other than a celebratory drink in the evening.

So men’s Finals day today, quick tidy up of things from yesterday, bake some bread, maybe bottle the beer that’s been sat in the fermentation vessel for the last 2 weeks and then lazy Sunday.

Take care all

Pocket list day 11
    I-hate-lettuce

Day 11 – Ireland – NFD
    Day 10 – write off 😆

Hi all well we had the loveliest night on Friday! Lovely family bbq … 👍 special time spent with my siblings and their children. I’m so proud of them all doing so well in these really cr@ppy times 💕. I have felt better🥴 but it was worth it … I might go back on the dry for a while now…that’s a month of good times, holidays and drinks and my body feels it… 🤣. On verra.

@i-hate-lettuce your wife’s fundraiser sounds like a huge success and it sounds like you had our weather which makes such a difference ☀️. Enjoy your relaxing day today!

Have a lovely sporty Sunday everybody! Good luck to England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 later ⚽️!

Onward and downward ⬇️

Day 11 – South Africa 🇿🇦 – FD

Best of luck England!🍀 ⚽️ 🏆 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

Looking forward to watching the Wimbledon’s Men’s Final this afternoon. I’ll be over the moon if the Italian guy wins; or at least doesn’t make it too easy for Djokovic.

A Sunday pocket list?! It could happen! 21 days til August…

Pocket List – Day 11 🍓
    @i-hate-lettuce
    @funshipfreddie

Day 11, London, UK, NFD ………….. It IS the footy final after-all!!!!!

Bear with me folks, I’m still on the laptop from hell, or perhaps it’s just the laptop from 1886!!!!

@penz, lets have a tiny pow-wow!!! I’m going to suggest you join me on my ‘renewed enthusiasm’ journey, we can’t magically go back in time to last Septembers clothes (I tried, the science is IMPOSSIBLE!!) so it’s not gonna happen even if we fast for 5 days straight!!! We can only keep on keeping on ……………. LIKE WE DID BEFORE!! I’m doing 4:3 for July, Why? Well the mojo is like a teenager sneaking out in the middle of the night, I don’t notice until it’s too late and ½ a choccy fudge cake has been devoured on a FD!!! So I’m going back to basics, MINIMUM 2x 500cal FDs per week minimum, when I say 4:3 I’m allowing for that ‘banned f-word’ FD that, try as I might, just doesn’t happen!! So, 4:3 knowing that 1 FD may or may not happen, if I cock a FD up, I just keep going as normal, no rearranging days to catch up, as at the least it WILL be a 5:2 week. Life is for living, I’m swerving the vino because I have ZERO control (There, I admit it) of course this applies to cheese, bread, choocy fudge cake, did I mention bread?, biscuits and of course wine gums!!!!!

@foodfreedomgirl, Welcome back!!! Yes the ‘Leslie’ I referred to is THAT Leslie! I discovered her last April when I realised lockdown was going to do a number on my waistline (I should have kept an eye on the cheese & wine too!!!) Anyway, she’s got soooo much on YouTube that I have zero excuse for not getting my steps into 5 figures!!!!

@i-hate-lettuce, that little gem is truly a gem of a find, I love it braised with peas ………………… butter is optional, but way, way worth it!!! Shame you had to stash the budgie smugglers (does our international community use the same term??) but we’re due a heatwave any time soon!!

@emma-taylor ………………………… peppermint tea? Breakfast tea with S/S milk won’t break your fast, or even coffee with 25mls S/S milk? Hot water with lemon or grated ginger doesn’t satisfy me, but a nice cup of tea is an acceptable substitute for my usual mocha!!!

@daffodil2010, hope your recovery is going well, don’t skip the weekend posting……………. It’s the only thing that keeps us on track!!!

Stay strong folks, my arm is tired from cranking up this laptop………………I’m off!!!!

Day 11 OMAD London

@flourbaby – I think you’re right. Mint tea would be good. I used to be ok with black coffee but I just don’t fancy it now. I like the version with double cream so much more 😳 I don’t really like milk so that’s out. I’ve got lots of (discarded..) fruit and mint teas kicking around. I might as well use them.
    On a positive note, I find OMAD easy to stick to! My cheat day is Sunday, where I eat outside my eating window, but I don’t go bonkers because I can eat whatever I like every other day of the week anyway. Booze has been mostly shelved since February. I’ve had a couple of drinks recently and although it felt exciting at the time, I slept incredibly badly both times and woke up feeling really down, so I’m back on the wagon. We shall see. We all know the alcohol slope is very slippery.

Day 11 – Canada 🇨🇦 – FD

Good morning everybody. Yes, yes, yes to a Sunday FD.

@stitchincarol – we got the tail end of the storm, lots of rain but not too much damage.
    @missybear – I know what you mean about losing and then gaining the same few pounds. Annoying but at least we’re sticking with it and not giving up. Right?
    @ihl – congratulations on a successful fundraiser, well done.
    @funshipfreddie – I too will be cheering for the Italian guy! Looking forward to a great match.

Pocket List – Day 11 🍓
    @i-hate-lettuce
    @funshipfreddie
    @dvw

Day 11 UK NFD

So 3 weeks left til August- still time to make a difference. Had a fab day out yesterday one of the many outings delayed by a year – a pub in the park festival – long day, out at 8.30 am gone midnight when we got back – huge fun , if only we hadn’t had the British weather to contend with☔️

Will be fasting tomorrow- very much in @flourbaby s debt for introducing me to Leslie Sansome, try to fit in a 3miler most afternoons 🏃‍♂️

Day 11 – USA/GA – NFD

Weigh-in: barely got to the 222 lb mark. Yay for Saturday FDs! Did the Saturday thing to mimic a 4:3 going into this week; next FD will be tomorrow and then Wednesday. Then might try a Friday just because my nephew’s 12th birthday is a week from today, and I’m not sure if they are celebrating Saturday or Sunday. If I get clarity, I’ll probably shift the FD to either Saturday or Sunday to prepare for the upcoming week.

Now, I just have to eat SENSIBLY on my NFDs like today. I’ve got my short-term TDEE goal of per day calorie reductions for NFDs stuck on the refrigerator, and it really isn’t too bad. Cutting out a couple of soft drinks, for example. I also created a list of phrases to help me think through things, particularly leftovers of low quality, but my favorite is from a Canadian friend I sometimes travel the world with. I would say, “I’m getting hungry,” and she would reply, “do you want a meal?” I remember the way she said it, with a weird inflection on the word “meal” at the end. That kind of shocks me into rethinking how I’m eating. “Are you having a MEAL?” I write on a note on the refrigerator door. I may make that note a little larger!

Have a fantastic day, everyone. Good luck to those fasting today!

Day 11 Canada NFD

Missed posting yesterday as it was a morning I needed to head off to work early. It was a pizza and red wine dinner to end the week which was so nice, back to control mode today 🙂

I have decided to retire in October and am thrilled, time has come to have more time to play, travel and get fit. Knowing that I am retiring soon is a great motivator for getting back on track.

@emmataylor yes alcohol is a slippery slope and I don’t have my feet underneath me at the moment. I sleep so well without it, you have motivated me to work towards my previous dry success. I also have zero control @flourbaby

Have a great day everyone, I am going to plan out my week today and make the challenge as successful as I can!

Day 11 USA – NFD

Keeping on maintenance, so happy for that. DH is really watching his intake of carbs/ sugars as well as amount of food. Yeah for him!

@stitchincarol and @northerndawn – thanks for your advice about the egg fast. Dawn – I am ever so impressed with your understanding of KETO and liver functions. I wondered if the egg fast might really be too much for either one of us. DH is ever so content to eat his Cheerios and milk in the morning that I have a hard time getting him to have eggs more than twice a week.

@stitchincarol – I am afraid to try to find those coolies! 🙂

@northgeorgia – your putting salt on watermelon reminds me so much of my Southern mother’s tastes. She was born in Talladega AL then moved to Columbus where she met my Daddy at Ft. Benning. That was 1942. Her cooking and tastes were ever so excellent. I try to match her the best I can!

Onward and downward.

Day 11 USA NFD

Good FD yesterday just under 800 cals.

Posting late again at around 4 pm. I went to bed late and got up way too early, but it seems not to have affected me that much. I’m not sure if my shortened sleep is from fasting, less calories, or keto…. which means less carbs. I don’t seem to be the worse for wear today. Many have noted that even though they sleep less when fasting, it seems they really don’t need more sleep. Perhaps we need less sleep when we aren’t metabolizing all kinds of calories or junk?

I had a return to take to Macy’s department store from an online order, and so we went early and spent quite some time at the Macy’s at Mall of America in Bloomington, MN. I have to say that it looked so different than in the past. I was actually shocked. There was very little merchandise in stock, the displays were mediocre, and it seemed a bit frayed or dirty. It was once a magical store. I don’t know if it’s due to Covid and the last year’s restrictions, or if they are trying to be like Amazon with low inventory, or what, really. It makes me sad. Just had to vent.

@songbirdme – I think you and your DH would be better served to just try to increase vegetables and berries for carbs, decrease processed and “white” carbs and starches like bread, rice, pasta, and increase your healthy fats and proteins. I worry your DH would just decide lowering his processed carbs isn’t worth it if he had to change his diet too severely at this point. It’s best to go slowly.

@northgeorgia – Watermelon with salt brings back memories. Every last day of school for the summer my mom would get a watermelon for all of us kids to celebrate. Every start of summer vacation that I can remember. And all of the neighbor’s kids as well. Many a seed spitting contest! (Sorry if that grosses anyone out).

And I am with you on the last month or two being just staying basically the same weight with some big fluctuations in between. Treading water…but it could be worse, right? I feel like we are going to see a good change in that trend.

Great idea to get all those inspirational thoughts and quotes together and in a visible space. We all always talk about doing that, but we really need to put the effort into actually doing it, as you have.

Let’s all plan for the week ahead, shall we? Let’s FOCUS, let’s remember that fasting is a way of self-care and being good to ourselves: working toward a HEALTHIER “you”, making yourself STRONGER for the sake of yourself and also loved ones. Let’s be KIND to ourselves and remember this is a process and will take time, and let’s enjoy the successes as we go along.

Day 12, FD, Aus

How was everyone’s weekend?

Another densely foggy morning here.

Thanks for your kind comments re my social engagement on the weekend. Fortunately, at the last moment, OH agreed with me that he really didn’t feel like going either so we cancelled. Spent the evening in comfy clothes on the couch with the dogs and had a much better time!

I’ll (try and) be your DTF buddy @missybear. I know my vino intake is not helping and I really need to cut back. Pow wow away @flourbaby – your enthusiasm is always contagious. I usually have a Wed evening commitment so I could conceivably do my usual 2 FDs and a light OMAD on Weds. That’s kinda a 4:3 routine.

Retirement plans, @bellyblast, how exciting!

Day 12 pocket list
    @penz

Day 12 – Ireland – FD

Hello everyone. I’m hoping for a good FD today…
    Super sports Sunday yesterday… which was good as it was pretty wet here in the afternoon. Luckily I got a good long walk in first thing 👍

@bellyblast I’m excited for you and your plans for retirement.
    @penz I’m with you today 💪

Onward and downward ⬇️

Day 12 Pocket List
    @penz
    @jaifaim

Day 12 – Lake district – UK

Good morning everyone

Successful day yesterday, basically a lazy day, didn’t do very much and did it to the best of our ability.
    Our friends have returned from their lengthened holiday, full of apologies for the extra weeks gardening duties. But it’s not a problem, they are just brilliant people who are great fun, plus I enjoy being able to help out.

Going for a second FD today, plus a decent walk I think.

Take care all.

Day 12 Pocket List
    @penz
    @jaifaim
    @i-hate-lettuce

Day 12, UK, FD

4:3

Fast day for me today, first of three this week, try to make up for a rather indulgent Sunday afternoon and evening!

@dvw – you’re back !! Hope you had a great mini vacation!

@northerndawn – keto flu always hits me on a Wednesday night too!! So glad to hear that you feel fine by Friday morning though ….

@northgeorgia – yay!! Your car is back !
    And OMG Buzz!!! 😀

@stitchincarol – impressive exercise! Great way of ‘paying penance!!’

@penz}
    @flourbaby} I’m doing 4:3s at the moment… it suits me well but does make me rather antisocial on a Friday night!!!!!!

@emma Taylor! Genius! Your post has inspired me!
    I have actually begun to irritate myself with how much I let everything go on one day of the weekend and just eat rubbish… So I am going to impose a TRE on Saturdays and Sundays. I think it is the only way to impose some boundaries whilst not being too hairshirted on the weekends. Thank you for inspiring me with your post!

Day 12 – Canada 🇨🇦 – NFD

Hello everybody. Had an okay FD yesterday, not quite perfect but that’s okay because there’s always tomorrow. 😊

@northerndawn – thank you for the inspirational post, it’s so important to enjoy and celebrate our achievements.
    @high5 – nice to be back into my routine and had a lovely time on the island. Collected a fair amount of beach glass on my long walks. Good for you doing 4:3! You’ll definitely see progress.
    @bellyblast – congratulations on your impending retirement, so nice 👍 I stopped working 18 months ago and I’m loving it.
    @ihl – impressive doing b2b FD.

Good luck to all the fasters. Take care all.

Day 12 – South Africa 🇿🇦 – NFD

Shame, what a disappointment, to lose on penalties?! Ah well…

It’s a bit hectic here today, especially in my province. Riots & looting going on everywhere. Roads & highways closed. People are being advised to stay home. All related to ex-president Jacob Zuma being jailed 😳

Nice to start the week with one FD under my belt; no pun intended! Going to try for one more week of 4:3

@gkw – I saw this on the Livestrong site & thought you might find it interesting:-

https://www.livestrong.com/article/461721-if-you-have-never-had-a-flat-stomach-can-you-ever-have-one/

Best of luck, Monday fasters!

Day 12 – Pocket List
    @penz
    @jaifaim
    @i-hate-lettuce
    @high5

Day 12 UK FD

Well and truly annoyed with myself, got it in my head yesterday – fasting tomorrow better eat/drink whatever I want today – haven’t done that in ages and it certainly didn’t make me feel better but as we often say , today is a new day the slates wiped clean and I’m hoping to make up for it this week

@funshipfreddie That sounds a bit scary – stay safe

Day 12 – Pocket List
    @penz
    @jaifaim
    @i-hate-lettuce
    @high5
    @brightonbelle

Day 12 Wales 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿 FD

Reasonably controlled over the weekend, at least a little less wine than last weekend.

@penz its good to have a DTF buddy, I will think of you and hopefully that will stop me reaching for the vino before Friday!

Day 12 – Pocket List
    @penz
    @jaifaim
    @i-hate-lettuce
    @high5
    @brightonbelle
    @missybear

Day 12, London, UK, FD,

Aiming for a good FD today, <500cals – 2 soups planned but if I manage OMAD it’ll be 1 soup and some added protein. We’ll see how hungry I am at my usual ‘breakfast’ time of 3pm!!

I’m exhausted after last night’s footbal, such a shame, especially for the young ones who now have to deal with undeserved guilt!! All you can ever do is to try your best!!

Day 12 – Pocket List
    @penz
    @jaifaim
    @i-hate-lettuce
    @high5
    @brightonbelle
    @flourbaby

It’s time for me to knuckle down (and mean it!!), here’s to a successful week for us all.

Stay strong everyone.

Day 12 – USA/GA – FD

Arrgh. 225 lbs. The see-saw continues. I keep misbehaving on NFDs, particularly with salts and sugars. I know I am going over my TDEEs and eating junk instead of higher quality meals. I need to prepare my evening meals in advance using healthy, filling, lower calorie options.

I have to figure out how I’m self-sabotaging myself, because the FDs are working as they always have, but my NFDs keep rebounding the weight by leaps.

I haven’t made Sopa Azteca in a while; with the rain here to stay a while, could be good weather for it. Anyone else having trouble getting off the plateau and behaving on NFDs?

Day 12 – Pocket List
    @penz
    @jaifaim
    @i-hate-lettuce
    @high5
    @brightonbelle
    @northgeorgia

Day 12 – Ireland 🇮🇪 – FD

Late posting today as I was tired after last night Euro Final (so very sorry England), and as I am not back to work until Wednesday I had me a little Mobday lie in ☺️

So it’s an FD today, I have spinach soup already prepared for dinner, not sure whether to do an OMAD however, or have a salad later to break the fast (I seem to be following your lead today @flourbaby).

I have a few errands to run now so will make up my mind around 3pm, but right now it’s been water and green tea all day so far.

Had a lovely weekend away in the camper, but as its peak holiday season the traffic getting home was terrible. We were unlucky enough to get stuck behind a funeral cortège that de,aged us by an hour, then tailbacks getting through some towns added more time…it took 8 hours to get home, when normally it’s a 5 hour trip. We really missed the motorbike, the freedom to just filter by all the traffic 🏍

Have a great Monday – Lots of us on today’s pocket list

Day 12 Canada CD

Looking forward to dispatching some weight this week. It is going to be a hot and smokey one which isn’t great.

@missybear and @penz I would love to join you both in a DTF effort.

Fasting Tuesday and Thursday this week

Viewing 50 posts - 151 through 200 (of 441 total)

You must be logged in to reply.