I've been on both sides

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
I've been on both sides

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Kvetina 9 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• At the age of 40, I was 122 lbs. (55.4 kg) and weighed only 10 lbs. (4.5 kg) more than I did when I was 12 years old. I had a limited appetite as I didn’t need much food. I was satisfied at eating to 80%. I did not eat desserts or snack as they were of no interest to me. A lot of people thought that I was depriving myself of those things, but really had no interest at all. I could tell you if I put one pound on as I was very in tune with my body.

At the age of 40, I went through a very difficult depression where I needed antidepressants. In a year, I put on almost 30 lbs. (13.6 kg). It was at that point that my body totally changed. I was ravenous all the time and couldn’t seem to satisfy my hunger no matter what I ate. So, I ate constantly and in addition to that, I was so tired. I would come home from work and just go to bed. When I tried to talk to my doctor about it, she would say, “Well, at least you are not depressed anymore!”

I have since gone off the meds, but the damage is done. I have never gone back to my previous days of being satisfied with a moderate amount of food. My ravenous appetite is gone, but I still eat too much for a bigger hunger than I used to have. I also have no where near the energy I used to have.

I meet people now and they infer that somehow I have no self control etc. because of what I weigh now (up to 172 lbs. (78.1 kg). I have a new respect for people trying to lose weight. If you have only seen the thinner side, you don’t realize what the other side goes through. It is like I am a different person with what I eat and the energy I have. People say it is just getting older, but I call BS on that. 6 months before I started my meds, I did a 6 week trek in the Himalayas.

I am especially gutted when people see some older pictures of me and ask who that person is. 🙁 I wonder where she is too? Has anyone else experienced this and do you ever come back from it? I am doing the 16/8 now with some success and plan to evolve into the 5:2. Thank you for listening to my frustration. 🙂

Hello and Welcome, Margeaux

I had an accident a while back after which I was abruptly sedentary while recuperating. I gained both weight and body fat to the point where I didn’t recognise myself and felt as if I’d become someone else (tho’, in defence of that, I had been concussed and it took a while to regain my functions, concentration etc.).

I very slowly shed that weight and am now at a point where I recognise myself again – so, although individual journeys differ and approaches have to reflect that, yes, I have come back from it.

Have you taken a look through the dedicated thread where lots of the questions that newcomers have are answered: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/the-basics-for-newbies-your-questions-answered/

Good Luck integrating fasting into your WOL! And I hope that this is a convenient fit to your life – I’ll keep an eye out for your progress.

Hi Margeux

Thank you for sharing your story.
    Mmmm not sure I have gone thru exactly the same as you but have lost my way a few times kids, moving, new job, divorce, remarriage, blended family problems the works…………turning to food and wine to help me thru and blur the edges and as a result pounds have crept on and appetite has increased – like you when I was younger and pre life problems I was slim, fit and healthy didn’t think about food ran every day, you get the picture and now I look in the mirror and don’t recognise myself or my lifestyle – time for change.

I’m hoping 5:2 is a step in the right direction, small steps that I sustain and work towards finding myself again – how cheesy does that sound – but true I guess – don’t necessarily want the old old me back as that’s not really me anymore anyway bit would like to fit back into the jeans I used to wear back then.

Depression and meds are difficult and a major side effect that lots of patients struggle with (work in pharmacy so know the struggles) all I can say is stay focused and strong one day at a time and ditch those people that say negative things to you – that’s not friends and make new ones – happy to chat on here if it will help and let us know how you progress – I’m really new to this but happy to lend a ear when required.

One day one step forward
    Ax

Hi Margeaux,

I wrote this very long post, and then lost it grrrrr. So perhaps short and sweet is the way to go LOL.

You had an illness, and now you are dealing with side effects of the medication you needed to take. Treat yourself with the kindness and understanding you would show your best friend if they were in the same situation. If it took a year to put on the weight, then allow yourself at least that amount of time to lose it.

You are not your clothes size, weight, waist size ect. You are obviously a bright and adventurous woman, are you going to allow a few kilos to take that away from you? As to what anyone else thinks, says or infers, pfffftt!! In my opinion it is just rude and obnoxnious to belittle anyone, whether it’s done overtly or slyly. I would much rather be a bit overweight than a bitch!!

Chin up, chest out, take a deep breath, and go knock em dead.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply.