It's a Miracle!

This topic contains 14 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  SAMM 10 years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

• Praise God for the 5:2 diet! After three weeks, I’m down over ten pounds. Seriously, this works because I can do this. Fasting two days isn’t so hard when you can still have 600 calories. I have serious hunger pangs, but it feels kind of good: that warm ache. You know what it feels like? It feels like getting healthier, or maybe like a forge deep within is heating up to burn fat. I know, I know, I’m getting a little carried away, but still…very grateful. So that’s down from 297 to 286lbs. Still a LONG way to go. 225lbs is the goal. Stick with it, folks. It’s worth it.

hi and welcome Wayne!

that’s a brilliant result so well done you 🙂 here’s to many more!

That is seriously impressive, Wayne. Big high fives are called for. As you’ve said on another thread, you always start by losing quite dramatically and then things slow down. It’s great that you are aware of that, which means you won’t be disappointed if or when the loss becomes a bit more gradual.

Isn’t it wonderful to find a way of eating that is (relatively) easy to live with and really works! Someone will correct me if I’m wrong but I seem to recall that 5:2 was originally designed to tackle several other health issues and weight loss was a very welcome side effect.

Keep up the good work, Wayne!

Excellent, Wayne. Continue with your progress. The hunger pains do feel good – like a good, weary workout. It’s empowering. My results are a bit slower, but it’s not a problem. I’m inspired to read success stories on this board. Have a lovely weekend. Do something nice for yourself.

congratulations, Wayne! That’s a tremendous loss for such a short time!

That is impressive 🙂

And I too know that it works, it is truly a miracle; I’ve dropped a kilo pr week, on average. Lost 8,6 kg (18,9 ibs) in 9 weeks and never thought it could be possible.

This is my new religion! 🙂

Hello Wayne

I read about catfish and red beans having a substance in them that doesn’t make feel full, but helps us feel sensitive to the full feeling. So moved my fish days to my fasting days for dinner, and red beans for lunch. Well not every fast day. I experimented with it and as i long as ate two bitter meals 250-300 cal each with a lot of fluid to fill me.
    I usually can go till 11am and feel hungry til 12, and eat 250 cals of a red bean dish like chili.
    That keeps me from feeling hungry till about 4pm I can wait till 5pm to eat 350 cals and fish and onions. This keeps me going if I’m sedentary till 11pm without hunger pangs.

I go to bed early because my will power gets weak around 11.
    It took me about three weeks to realize that it worked every time. I mean To say i had have three week period on 5:2 with no hunger pangs at all. I was hungry, but no starving feeling poking at me poking at me. Besides. It’s recommended to eat fish 2-3 times a week. So I simplified 5:2 for me. Going out with friends for dinner was no longer a problem either. I just order fish. Guess about portion size. Skip the starchy carbs, by putting then in Togo bag for the next day. And walla.

Red beans have the THE highest antioxidant rating too, but they are high in calorie compared to low energy vegetables. So I count them out 15 beans does it for me.
    2.7 oz of catfish. I also order catfish from New Orleans , because cat fish from there has vitamin D in that species. I only do that because I try to get all my vitamins and minerals from organic sources. So on fasting days I try to get a little sun or fish. I also eat mushrooms with the fish and onions, because some mushrooms also have vitaminD. And are low in calorie and chewy. Chewy on fasting days is good for satiation. Lemon water with stevia and sugar free chewing gum helps me with wanting for flavors on fasting days.

Well done Wayne! I can’t wait to get into my 5/2 plan you all sound like you have done so well I am so keen to get posting any results I achieve by next Friday! I think the fast days allowing us ladies 500 calories is a God Send because to me that really isn’t fasting atall … My brother lost over 2 and a half stone doing this and keeps banging on at me to do it … he never looked chubby but was overweight and it’s made him EAT more regularly and healthily so I am so pleased for him and he’s been on it over a year now!

Here’s to everyone’s success ! Woo hoo!

Thanks for all the encouragement and suggestions. On top of the weight loss, I’m really hoping to see some of the other health benefits that research seems to show will come with regular fasting. The thing that amazes me about 5:2 so far is that I’ve been absolutely sedentary (not a good thing). I have a tight writing deadline so it’s pretty much butt in chair every day. So I’m stoked to see what can happen once I get back to hitting the weights and cardio 3-4 times a week. Keep at it all! Let’s rock this!

I am sure your body will be in for a big shock and you should see some additional results! I am much the same several days a week but no so much of a deadline so probably more active than you …

When is your next weigh in ?

Hello Dreamgirl 2014
    Glad to hear of your goal and your brothers success. I watch Michael Mosley’s two 1hr videos. Eat, Fast, Live Longer and The Truth About Exercise . One video explains how fasting can help to avoid age related diseases and the other how understand the need for benefits that target visceral fat around our internal organs. After his experience with fasting he lost more than twenty pounds. He basically used Intermittent Fasting of 500 calories. In the live longer video we see some surprising plates of foods. I didn’t expect 500 calories to look that appealing.
    What I did was learn when I was most likely to give in to temptation. Either morning or night and moved my intake to that time. Ii know for some people. The fasting day no problem at, but for me it was challenge , I guess because I was 274lbs so my BMR had a big appetite. Never the less I was determined to succeed regardless of any results. I learned that starchy carbs make it difficult to stay under 500cal and not get hunger pangs. That some bitter foods help with ruining appetite.
    My mistakes at first was due to a lot of experimentation , going to grocery and buying lots of fasting food to be prepared. However 500 calories, or 600 for me was not a lot of food needed. Much of the fresh vegetable went to waste or simply became unappealing over a weeks time. I learned to buy frozen instead of fresh. This made very easy to stick to low calorie vegetables for carbs instead of starchy high calorie carbs. Then fasting days became easy with a lot of what I like always in stock in the fridge. I got both frozen vegetables and frozen fruits. I only eat the high calorie fruits on non fasting days. After I got fasting days down pat to the point that I hardly need to measure and count calories, because I had memorized the values over time. It became easier to start counting my calories on non fasting days especially with oatmeal and fruits with nuts to start non fasting days. After that was plethora of ways to make fasting and non fasting days to work optimally. Working in probiotics, antioxidants, finding high nutrition foods and eating healthy fish when out to dinner with friends. Looked back scratching my head – how the heck was my 5:2 journey so much better at getting me to eat healthier?
    After 7 months of IF. I hit a plateau. I got discouraged, and after a switching from days to nights I stopped semi fasting. I kept on with the better food choices though. Stepping on the scale at the one year mark of starting 5:2 I still kept off 27 pounds. I was no longer discouraged about 5:2 plateau. So I have restarted IF with knowing what makes my fasting days successful and was very pleased to step on the scale a month later and had another loss of 5 lbs. Not dramatic weight loss, but weight loss non the less. What I’m leaning is the benefits don’t just allow me to buy new clothes. However as I’m encouraged by my new clothes I’m also encouraged to have better inner health. After mastering the 600 calorie days. I use food to not to heal , but for health of my inner body as well.
    Thing is by reading ,reading , and reading after an automobile accident left me sedentary for 23:45 hours a day for months. What I became to understand is it very difficult to change food habits. How there are many great diets that actually work, but if you stop the diet you return to old habits. I hope I explained my motivation to get healthier was due to being obese and then becoming so sedentary I felt like I turned corner and was seeing an unfavorable out come. That I could lose fat but still be unhealthy on the inside.
    So I’m now motivated to stick to IF, eating better, and exercising the best that I can. I learned to make my fasting days flavorable enough to look forward to fasting days just like Sunday’s at Moms. I am very pleased looking in the mirror telling myself im happy on 5:2. I crawled with 5:2 at first, then I got out of that bed and walked, and now I’m running with it.
    Best wishes!

I’m also butt stuck to chair, Wayne, even on Saturday and Sunday. Not ideal, I know. I’m a translator and am always working to deadlines, and I think the reason I get so much work is that I have never, ever missed one. I guess I’m fairly competent as well and thankfully I love the job.
    SAMM, you have so many interesting and wise things to say about your IF experience. Have you thought of writing a book, or at least a blog, so that it reaches a wider audience?

Wow Samm,

I loved reading your post. I suppose I feel the same actually …. I look forward to reading your posts in the future ( as a newbie here ) Thank you ”)

Thanks.
    No because my writing skills are so poor, and I leave the best advice to doctors and dietitians.
    I feel safer putting out my experience where it be taken as an individuals experience instead of recommendations to a wider group.

I’ll save Y’all the time of waiting for my book . 
        I guess the only thing I would want to put out there to masses is to rethink hydration.  
    Water PH is my target.   I don’t like to drink water by itself. I guess because I hade a never ending supply of coca cola in the fridge I have pictures of it all around the table of my first birthday.  Ahhhhhh a coke and a smile:). Well I don’t like water unless it’s cold, filtered and dying of thirst or binging on chocolate.   Opps am I allowed to say that here. Binge on chocolate?  Well anyway.   Out of boredom I decided if I can improve my food to target body health why not my water intake too?  

So I read up on wiki about artificial sweeteners and guess what?   Some of them do not promote healthy probiotic balance and can cause craving for starchy carbs.  A vicious cycle.   So I read up on probiotics , not just the delicious kind in the dairy case but the others on relish players.  Ok that was simple done and done.  The only one left stevia. Stevia is not an artificial sweetener. Think about that for a second.

So I use my own tap water with a filter pitcher and put in the fridge.  I get out fruits from the freezer on non fasting days blend them into liquid that I drink through a coffer stir straw and sip sip sip all day long. I sweeten with stevia. Every time  I use a ph paper I always get 7.7 to 6.7. Which way more healthy than 4.0 ph from sodas  even the diet ones.

Thing is this is way I put anti-oxidants into my diet. Especially blueberry and raspberry.  I cringe reading the ingredients of convience store teas as many are articically flavored so what’s the point? 

To sum it up. On IF I eat some probiotic vegtables on fasting days, and anti oxidant fruited water sweetened with stevia on non fasting days.   I get to eat a lot more calories from my food on no fasting days as I calculate most of the waters are approximately 50 calories per gallon.  

The reason why drinking water is so important to keep near the human body ph level . To simplify my opinion is it’s best to intake fluids that are close the PH of boby plasma.  I believe this doesn’t heal, however it doesnt harm!

To over think it and go much further?  I also take a bath once a week to relax and make the bath water a PH of 7.4. Take a favorite fruited   Icee sweetened with stevia and take care of my skin. I mean why not .  So after awhile I realized I get headaches on fasting days sometimes from not drinking enough.   So I moved my bath Alone time to fasting day when my wife cooks. I use some aroma therapy to fill the isolated bathroom with ZEN . Meanwhile the family chows down all the temping foods that  I can’t smell in there.  Its funny to me to hear them actual scarfing it down when my bathroom door opens. I imagine their thinking ” Oh god , he’s coming !  If he smells it he’ll eat it all.” 

So I get my probiotics on fasting days which are bitter to help with appetite.
    I get my antioxidants on non fasting days which are unlimited.
    I aim for my fluid intake to be as close to 7.4 without being a hassle.
    I manage my environment to keep temptations out of sight and out of mind and out of nose 😉

Ok that was much easier than I thought it would be , out of boredom I decided to deal with dust in my house too. if you read the. 2000 words about health effects of dust on wiki. You may consider a dust evacuation plan as I have. It’s not hard and keeps me on my feet when I’m bored. My child’s asthma improved so I know I’m not just keeping busy. My house smells like eucalyptus, cinnamon, banana.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply.