is this safe?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  TracyJ 9 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• hi,i am a 13 year old boy about to be 14 in about 2 months.i am very over weight(low 160’s and high 150’s)i really want to get fit but exercising does not appeal to me.so,here is my question.is it ok for my to start fasting every saturday and sunday?

No it isn’t.The book says that children should not fast.
    If you are overweight then you should see your doctor. Either make an appointmnt to see your GP for some advice, or if there is a school nurse, speak to her.

Good Luck

hi random

welcome!

The advice above is good advice, but I would like to help.

My son is 19, he was overweight at your age. Thought it might cheer you to know that today he wears waist 30″ trousers and is slim and fit. He is beginning to out on a little weight again, but in a good way, he is still growing and his shoulders are becoming wider, due to growing and exercising.

I know how difficult it can be when you are at school, it can spoil such a lot of things, PE, clothes and dealing with that most scary of creatures, girls!

Is the 5:2 diet safe for children? I dont know. I think it isnt advised because children are different to adults, they are still growing, and need to eat well to grow well, you are just a little of of sync.

I do know though that, because you are still growing, there may be difficulties and problems with fasting.

Your doctor or nurse may be of great help, please go and see them. But if they just give you a diet sheet and tell you to eat healthily and exercise you will lose weight. Easy. But people, men and women, are on this forum because, it just isnt easy.

So my advice is stay with us, you are as entitled as the rest of us to be here. Your first post took courage, it is always hard to ask questions, well done. We are all here for help and support – the very things you need.

There us a lot of advice about bad food, good food and better food. So start reading.

The fast diet works simply – eat less than we used to eat.

So how do we adapt it?

Write down what you are eating. Or use an app. Myfitnesspal is good. Ignore the stuff like the number of calories in a day, i do.

It will teach you about calories.

Get a set a kitchen scales or borrow your mums. Get measuring. Find out how much a serving of cereal is. Check the packet. Pop into the supermarket and check loads of different cereals. This will shock you. Can you find something that you can eat which is lower in calories, with perhaps less sugar. Cornflakes have much lower calories that honey nut cornflakes. Maybe a bit more boring, but better for you. Measure out a serving, according to the packet, if you are still hungry, have a little more. But make sure it is hunger, not habit.

Eventually, by keeping up with forums, you will find some great breakfasts options, but start by changing a little the breakfast you have already.

5:2 teaches us we can eat whatever we want, but not as much as we want. So maybe buy one pack if sweets, not two. Change from full sugar coke to zero coke. Medium MacDonalds if you normally have large. An apple instead of apple juice.

This is how my son began.

Getting into your gym kit and going for a run is a great idea. Bet it isnt. Heck it scares ne! My son started by walking. Easy, free, you can wear anything, and it is secret exercise. A pedometer is a good thing to buy, and only a few quid, easy to hide too!

Find out how many steps you are walking now. Spend those weekends that you were going to fast going for walks. Do secret walks, visit museums. A change from walking outside, walk all over, up and down stairs, there are usually lots. Make it something you fancy doing.

Ok, you might feel awful just halfway down the street, but keep at it, I guarantee that wuthin a week you will get twice as far begoreyou are puffed out. And you will walk a little further every day.

Keep in touch. Stay on the forum, lots of folk here can help, come on and tell us your success, let us know when it is going well. Let us know especially if it isnt.

And my boy says he us here for advice whenever you need it, he eventually moved on from walking, he runs regularly and goes to the gym most days. But he started slowly, and did it in his own time. He made little goals, to lose 3 kilos to walk 3 miles.

Hope that helps, just to get you started. There are many people here who know how to help you to lose weight.

Good luck, be positive and post soon!!!!!

Hi Random & welcome 😉

Some great advice above, so I hope it inspires you to make some small changes. If I had a time machine I’d definitely go back & tell 16 year old me about 5:2 (as I was fully grown at that age) but 13/14 year old me would have just got some education about what foods are good and what are bad.

I think many kids would benefit from literally just cutting out soft-drinks like coke & fruit juices. It’s not JUST sugar that skyrockets the calorie content of those drinks that you have to think of, it’s also the sweetners (many of which are genuinely poisonous – aspartame is the Devil for me), the caffeine content and the acids that will literally rot those lovely new strong adult teeth right out of your head. If you do one thing to improve your health and your chances of losing a little weight and retaining your lovely teeth – I would suggest cutting out those drinks. Water might seem boring but you get very used to it very quickly and it’s totally good for you.

The other thing I would recommend to you (and 13/14 year old me) would be to do some research on what foods are ‘good’ and ‘bad’ and just TRY to limit the bad.
    For instance – you know that sweets aren’t great for you but you probably think fruit & veg are saintly. Veg usually is but beware TOO MUCH fruit, as it’s got natural sugars in it. (google is your friend, if you’re not sure about calorie contents of foods) The natural sugars are better for you than the refined stuff you’ll find in a Haribo but it still adds up to more calories than the equivalent amount of veg.
    I always considered bread to be ‘safe’ food (I don’t know why) I ate shed loads of it as a teenager and didn’t consider that to be a problem. It IS a problem. Bread is quite calorific and it’s very carbohydrate heavy, which means it will make you crave more food when you eat it.
    In general I would council my younger self and you, to avoid lots of carbs (don’t cut ANYTHING out altogether though – unless you take me up on the drinks point) like; bread, pasta, crisps (chips if you’re not from the UK)rice and processed foods & sweets and fill up on protein-heavy meats, fish, lentils, beans & nut based foods instead, while also going crazy with the veg & to a lesser extent, fruit.

Scrutinise the ingredients and nutritional information list of anything that comes in a packet, tin or box and do some research on the foods that you really like and eat all the time.

If you’re worried that you may not be getting a healthy, balanced diet at home then talk to your parents about changes you’d like to make that you think might benefit everyone. Maybe you could ask whoever does the cooking or shopping if you can help – then you will know exactly what you are eating and maybe suggest some healthier substitutions. I’m sure they’d be happy to have some help and would be pleased to see you taking an interest in your own health (even if they’re resistant to making changes for the sake of their own).

If you eat a school lunch rather than a packed lunch then you may struggle to tell exactly what is in what you are eating but it’s pretty easy to spot a veg-heavy offering, a salad or a soup (limit the carby bread roll you might have with it) and at most lunch counters you would have the opportunity to refuse those carb-loaded potatoes and limit your portion of rice or pasta, in favour of extra carrots or greens instead I would hope (??).

Best of luck with it Random – do let us know what you decide to do and how you get on.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply.