Is sweet corn bad for you like potatoes?

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Food Recipes
Is sweet corn bad for you like potatoes?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  CalifDreamer 6 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• Hello all. I have recently started the 5:2 diet. I haven’t seen anywhere about whether sweet corn is a good or bad carbohydrate and whether it is in the same category as white rice, potatoes and pasta. Would any member also advise me on the same for tree tomatoes? Thanks

Potatoes and sweetcorn are starchy vegetables which contain vitamins and minerals that are good for you. Because they contain a significant amount of carbohydrate they should be eaten in moderation but they are not bad for you.

If you read the 5:2 book you will see that no foods are prohibited.

There are many who follow 5:2 who eliminate or limit certain things from their diet but that is personal choice. I agree that we should all try to make healthier choices and reduce/eliminate processed carbs but there is no reason to eliminate any vegetable from your diet.

There are much better vegetable choices than corn and potatoes because they are loaded with lectins. Lectins are chemicals that plants make to hurt predators like insects and us. Compounding the issue is that at least in the US almost all corn is GMO. GMO veggies are usually modified to make more lectins so insects won’t eat them!

Sweet potatoes are a much better choice for a starchy veggie.

Actually, little of the sweet corn grown in the US is genetically modified. Most of the corn grown in the US is for animal feed and processed foods like a high fructose corn syrup. These are mostly GMO crops. But not most of the sweet corn you buy in the supermarket.

There aren’t any prohibited foods or food groups on 5:2. That’s one of the things that makes it so appealing – and easy to follow.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply.